Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3680882 times)

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.98A - 12 Mar - Magic Missile Massacre!
« Reply #2100 on: March 19, 2016, 08:57:34 pm »
Hello there, I'm absolutely loving your mod, but isn't one crackdown\month a bit too high? Since they haven't attacked main base, I'm relatively safe (and I finally made a whole suit of power armor! fear me purebloods), but dang it, secondary bases are hard to defend when there's little good equip AND all gals are panicking every other turn. I lost 3 bases in 5 months, and in progress of losing fourth. This is brutal.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2101 on: March 19, 2016, 09:34:16 pm »
A kevlar vest would probably reduce piercing by more than 20% in most situations. A gunshot wound against a bullet proof vest vs one without should say it all.

True that, but combined with armor value, it tends to give more or less realistic end results (stops low powered projectiles in the case of Camo Gear). As for the flammability, yeah Kevlar itself isn't that flammable but the rest of the outfit is.

[/quote]
 I still think it'd be cool if the camo suits could be upgraded to human security armor. Tac suits are supposed to do that, but I think it'd be cool if kevlar could be used to make more armors like
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f7/48/1e/f7481ecf3de4211f0f51ce61028fd5a0.jpg
[/quote]

That might be, I even have it planned somewhere, but is it really worth a day of my work? Such armor would probably be superflous.

Hello there, I'm absolutely loving your mod, but isn't one crackdown\month a bit too high? Since they haven't attacked main base, I'm relatively safe (and I finally made a whole suit of power armor! fear me purebloods), but dang it, secondary bases are hard to defend when there's little good equip AND all gals are panicking every other turn. I lost 3 bases in 5 months, and in progress of losing fourth. This is brutal.

Shoot down less craft. Also yes, automatic Crackdowns kick in after a while to limit your growth. Try spreading your forces less thinly.

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: March 19, 2016, 09:42:19 pm »

Shoot down less craft. Also yes, automatic Crackdowns kick in after a while to limit your growth. Try spreading your forces less thinly.

But I don't shoot down crafts at all, I capture them on ground. And... yeah, probably I will, but is there any way to at least reduce the frequency of crackdowns?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2103 on: March 19, 2016, 09:54:29 pm »
If you're already nearing 3rd year into the game, you will have Crackdowns all month every month.

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: March 19, 2016, 10:13:03 pm »
Well, I'll deal with it somehow. At least I don't feel bad over losing newly-hired hands as much as over losing stat-capped ones.

Aside, tried to assault a supply ship for first time. Got 3 gals nearly killed on first turn becuase I did not expect baby nukes and gauss rifles. Silly me -_-.

EDIT: what's with the enemies firing their explosives when they're in range of it? Bye stupid explorer, bye half of my team.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 10:22:31 pm by greattuna »

Offline specspore

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: March 19, 2016, 10:16:28 pm »
This mod awesome. Just one question. are the provincial govt supposed to be doing crackdowns? because i haven't shot any of them down since my first year and those were on accident but now they seem to be out for blood.

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: March 20, 2016, 04:43:35 am »
But I don't shoot down crafts at all, I capture them on ground. And... yeah, probably I will, but is there any way to at least reduce the frequency of crackdowns?
I generally focus on making each base have lots of planes nightmares or dragons, and 25 staff. All with gauss weapons or at least Hilarious grenades :D
I usually lose bases because I haven't made a barracks yet not because of the invasion. Though etherals are a pain, Invisibility is no joke haha.

If you shoot down every plane in the sky you get more money. You can also prevent countries from leaving which will generate even more money long term. My budget in my first play through is just hilariously op. I can buy Euro lasers for everyone then some.

IMO it isn't worth making base defenses just set up the bases to have a one side entry point and maybe add a fire or gas trap. Instead of using bases solely for radar make use of spy zepplings.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: March 20, 2016, 06:33:29 pm »
EDIT: what's with the enemies firing their explosives when they're in range of it? Bye stupid explorer, bye half of my team.
Piratez does not change the AI of enemy units (OXCE changes morale mechanics but that's it as far as I know). But really, what would you like them to do?

A horde of bloodthirsty charges at you and you've got an rpg with baby nuke. They'll murder you, and your friends, or take you prisoner and torture you for knowledge which in their barbaric hands will just cause more murder. You can make them pay a high price for getting you, maybe they'll turn and that will save your friends. You pull the trigger. Bye heroic explorer, by half the murderous savages.

Surrendering makes sense when you face an honourable foe who will take your surrender and not harm you. The gals are no such people.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: March 20, 2016, 06:40:20 pm »
Piratez does not change the AI of enemy units (OXCE changes morale mechanics but that's it as far as I know). But really, what would you like them to do?
Basic and extended calculate effective of blast, if it hit more enemies than ally it will do it. I don't recall if I made any significant changes to that. It probably works same like basic one.

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: March 20, 2016, 07:02:09 pm »

A horde of bloodthirsty charges at you and you've got an rpg with baby nuke. They'll murder you, and your friends, or take you prisoner and torture you for knowledge which in their barbaric hands will just cause more murder. You can make them pay a high price for getting you, maybe they'll turn and that will save your friends. You pull the trigger. Bye heroic explorer, by half the murderous savages.

Surrendering makes sense when you face an honourable foe who will take your surrender and not harm you. The gals are no such people.

For starters, she could fire it from safety of 2nd floor of supply ship, not blindly rush into the smokescreen...
Besides, I was just mad because I lost my pirate queen, and that's after she survived first baby nuke to the face. I also lost my only power armor suit. Back to heavy suits again.

Eh, I'll weather that as well. I got 14 baby nukes from the mission, plus variety of gauss weapons.

I generally focus on making each base have lots of planes nightmares or dragons, and 25 staff. All with gauss weapons or at least Hilarious grenades :D
I usually lose bases because I haven't made a barracks yet not because of the invasion. Though etherals are a pain, Invisibility is no joke haha.

If you shoot down every plane in the sky you get more money. You can also prevent countries from leaving which will generate even more money long term. My budget in my first play through is just hilariously op. I can buy Euro lasers for everyone then some.

IMO it isn't worth making base defenses just set up the bases to have a one side entry point and maybe add a fire or gas trap. Instead of using bases solely for radar make use of spy zepplings.

I can't intercept gunships with bonaventura, she's too valuable, shark jetbike is fragile, and spy zeppelin is spy zeppelin.

I'm also using chokepoints in my bases, but they're much less effective now that there's also sewer level.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: March 21, 2016, 08:17:05 am »
I wouldnt advise using Bonnie to shoot down vessels. Use it to attack ground craft is my advice. I made shiite loads of money and resources that way. I only started intercepting in the air once I got to the better crafts.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: March 25, 2016, 05:39:04 pm »
Some general feedback and suggestions:

1. disassembling Slave AI gives 12 electronics, assembling one costs only 10 electronics, which makes it possible to generate electronics by die- and reassembling.
2. The sniper armor looks very weak regarding the cost and necessary research. Maybe it would be good to increase the armor or resistance values a bit.
3. It would be simpler if the HMG and launcher cyberdiscs would use normal HMG ammo or rockets instead of specialized ammo. This was made possible some time ago.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2112 on: March 25, 2016, 07:47:36 pm »
1. Thanks.
2. The +15 acc bonus doesn't look weak to me. That it doesn't protect? Irrelevant. Also you can get it fast if you get Electronics fast.
3. No, because clip sizes wouldn't match.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: March 25, 2016, 08:39:30 pm »
2. +15 Acc is ok, but on the negative side -15 TU is too hefty. But it does not matter, there are many other good armors. 

3. Since TFTD support, HWP ammo works like the following:
  - type: STR_COELACANTH_GAUSS
    # special behaviour here: for a HWP with compatible ammo, setting a clipsize
    # defines the max ammo for the HWP, and the clipsize on the weapon dictates
    # how many rounds it adds.
    compatibleAmmo:
      - STR_GAUSS_CANNON_AMMO
    clipSize: 50
so you are quite flexible with defining different clipsizes.

Edit:
4. It would be good to have a ufopedia page which explains the different craft slots and which weapon/extension fits to which slot. Maybe I am too dumb, but it can be a bit confusing.

Is the following correct?
There 3 kind of weapon slots. And each craft weapon does only fit to one specific slot type. For example a light weopon does only fit to a 'light weopon slot'?

Posts merged - Dioxine

Hmm... , I am playing on 'blackbeard' and I am now in March of the second year with 8 bases. Maybe I am just lucky, but there was not a single base defense mission so far, although there are a lot of ufos with crackdown mission (Seen from hyperwave info).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 09:07:43 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2114 on: March 25, 2016, 09:16:50 pm »
2. -15 TUs is irrelevant for a sniper. Don't expect good all-rounder Master of War armors at such low tier anyway.

3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't have varied clipsizes (ie. if the HMG clip is 48, I cannot have a tank with 240 HMG shells can I). And even if I could, it's troublesome - next question would be, "why can't I use HMG PS clips on the tank?"

4. Yeah that's how it works atm. The game won't let you fit a wrong weapon onto the slot anyway :P I could write an ufopedia page, but I have no idea what words to use not to make it sound retarded. "Heavy weapons fit only heavy weapon slots". "Really, Dioxine? Thanks a ton, I'd never guessed."
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 09:20:29 pm by Dioxine »