aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3610553 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] Piratez Extended - 0.93 - 19 Aug - Sectoids!
« Reply #615 on: September 11, 2015, 03:15:40 pm »
Hmm, this might be a good idea, at least for some ships. Naturally, there would be nothing stopping the player from dropping all the "self-destruct switches" onto a single gal... :)

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #616 on: September 11, 2015, 07:20:42 pm »
Hmm, this might be a good idea, at least for some ships. Naturally, there would be nothing stopping the player from dropping all the "self-destruct switches" onto a single gal... :)

Well given enough weight, it'd make for a REALLY prolonged maneuver; can't be thrown (maybe 1 tile?) due to excessive weight; can't moved very far in the first turn (if not dropped before ending turn) as the excessive weight would drain the holding Gal's TUs next turn (that'd actually make for some interesting !!!SCIENCING!!! to see how much TUs would be left being that overencumbered...). Considering a ship like the generic Cruiser, I could see it taking 3-5 turns at least.

Plus if it's a primed explosive and dropped to avoid the TU loss, then it'd go BOOM eventually during these maneuvers. And trying to rush to "defuse" all things in such a manner could be seen as the mechanic for Meld timers in XCOM: Enemy Within; you risk exposing your troops and puts a pressure on the player to attack quickly. At least there'd be a mechanic to "pause" the explosion, rather than a "hard" deadline of 18-25 turns of "oh you didn't move fast enough, too bad" or "oops, time to Benny Hill this enemy as he runs away from you for a few turns".

Just that ounce of "control" makes it more tactically enjoyable, rather than resorting to savescumming or just skipping "those missions".

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #617 on: September 11, 2015, 08:23:14 pm »
It's coming together. I'll think I'll add it in this form, but still, only for those extra-juicy ships (exploding freighters would make little sense). I've even made some bigob that can be used for this... has to be 3x2 for difficulty of handling.

Offline LexThorn

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 11, 2015, 09:09:35 pm »
It's coming together. I'll think I'll add it in this form, but still, only for those extra-juicy ships (exploding freighters would make little sense). I've even made some bigob that can be used for this... has to be 3x2 for difficulty of handling.

Would you be so kind to make this officially optional feature? Maybe, even enabled by defolt?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #619 on: September 11, 2015, 10:02:32 pm »
I'll put it on hold for now. Except the Supply Ships. You want to farm the Supply Ships, you know the risk.

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #620 on: September 11, 2015, 11:28:41 pm »
Looking good, giving specific mechanics to ships will make their documentation worthwhile to figure their puzzles out.

Also I just hit a star god pogrom, and... well... it did not end well.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #621 on: September 12, 2015, 01:59:42 am »
Well, so far it's the first defeat of your best soldiers, you've made very far into the game before suffering it :) But don't worry, the Star Gods All Stars crew never raids your bases... unless you shot down one of their Terror ships, that is :) You really need psionic screening to overcome that obstacle... It's impossible to get total immunity to Star Gods' Panic attacks, but it's definitely possible to be 95% immune to their Mind Control. Also there are 'psi-rods'...

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 12, 2015, 02:07:00 am »
I already use bravery screening, of they have less than 40 (30 when I am desperate) they can go right home. Oh well, now my graphics card died, so I won't be playing anytime soon.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #623 on: September 12, 2015, 05:24:31 am »
Bravery is irrelevant against MC attacks... And panic attacks are much less painful. Well, unless someone berserks. Although there are few armors that give extra Psi Def based on Bravery :)
The only non-psi screening I do is based on Reactions (60+ is good), but screening is too expensive until 6-10 months into the game... (earlier on lower difficulty).

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 12, 2015, 12:29:39 pm »
Damn, I always thought bravery would help.
 :D

Oh well, good to know.

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 12, 2015, 02:50:36 pm »
Im upgrading from 9.1 to 9.3,what did i miss and will i have problems from skiping 9.2?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #626 on: September 12, 2015, 08:18:15 pm »
No real problems with upgrades, except for some rogue research topics - minor setbacks. As for upgrades, Sectoids and Spartans are the highlights, plus a ton of new stuff and many fixes. You might want to hold on a couple of days since 0.94 is almost ready, though... :)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 12, 2015, 09:01:37 pm »
No real problems with upgrades, except for some rogue research topics - minor setbacks. As for upgrades, Sectoids and Spartans are the highlights, plus a ton of new stuff and many fixes. You might want to hold on a couple of days since 0.94 is almost ready, though... :)

Isn't it time for 1.0 already?  ;)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #628 on: September 12, 2015, 09:38:07 pm »
Not reeeeally, but I think I see the light in the end of the tunnel - I should reach the planned 1.0 completeness with next 5 or so average upgrades, the last one dedicated to beautifying the whole thing. Half a year, give or take :) The mod is already satisfying my aims, I just want some more stuff in it.
Major things to add - 4 or so minor factions (for circa 20 units total), 20 or so new units for major factions, 2 full weapon lines (X-Gauss, Ion).
I'll probably keep adding some stuff past 1.0, but less frequently and in smaller packages.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 09:39:46 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 12, 2015, 09:47:25 pm »
OK, thanks.

It looks like (based on voting) that I will start playing your mod in about 1-2 months. It would be cool to have version 1.0 before the series ends :) If we count 120 episodes, 3 a week, gives us 40 weeks, so almost a year... yeah, looks promising :D

Also, from your description it looks like there won't be any totally game breaking updates anymore... which is also very nice. Already looking forward to it.