aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3610745 times)

Offline Ruberto

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - M5 24-Mar-2022 The Five Captains
« Reply #8430 on: April 13, 2022, 04:38:28 pm »
Why don't you install it the way that it is advised to be installed?

NEVER copy over files over old instalations. Extract separately, copy UFO directory, and your config and save file in the new version and you're good to go. You do not need any separate OXCE installation, or anything.
Thanks mate!
It worked!

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8431 on: April 13, 2022, 07:12:58 pm »
I feel like Cleopatra's Challenge event comes way too late. By the time it shows up (October or later) and the missions chain is finished, most of the rewards aren't relevant anymore, at least for expert players who, by then, are already in the space age.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 07:17:37 pm by Delian »

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8432 on: April 19, 2022, 05:35:57 pm »
There's one small annoyance with OnlyRunts and that is, it requires too much micromanagement. If you have 100 pillow books and 100 workers, then producing 100x OnlyRunts will complete in 12 hours. So you gotta keep replacing the project over and over, several times per day, and the less pillow books you have, the worse it gets. Compared to Chateau de la Mort, you put in a production for a 100 and you're good for half a month.

If you set the order to more than the amount of books you have it will automatically use the books you get back and keep on working forever. Or at least until you run out of books (there's a 5 or 10% chance to not get the book back).

I feel like Cleopatra's Challenge event comes way too late. By the time it shows up (October or later) and the missions chain is finished, most of the rewards aren't relevant anymore, at least for expert players who, by then, are already in the space age.
I agree with that sentiment. But early on you'd most likely not have a crew good enough to attempt some of them (Shamblers and Werewolves are pretty hard). And the rewards are pretty mediocre. Since this is a short despawn time mission done with a very slow 'craft', you can't really choose the time of day (unless you use #43 trickery) which also adds to the 'fun' factor.

=============

And to jump on the whole Ubre naming bandwagon. If you're willing to accept Black Beard as a pirate name, then what issue do you have with Erotic Vag*na or Nice Tits (both actual Gal names that I rolled and ROTFL'ed). The naming is basically a throwback to the ancient times (for example Nordic cultures), where you got names from defining characteristics. Knot-beard, Bluetooth, Longshanks, Bloodaxe and heck, even Ragnar Lothbrok which basicaly translates to "Raven Hairy (or leather) Pants". And I think Hairy Pants is one of the actually possible combinations for a Gal's name.
As for the lore explanation, I'd assume they were only known as Subject #5323 or similar to the Academy, so they had to think of new names to call themselves. Without professions (like Smith, Fisher etc.), parents (so no Eriksdottir or somesuch) and no accessible lineage for a proper naming convention (so no Anna, Monica, Yoko etc.) they were left with names dependent on defining characteristics and/or associations. Seems pretty logical when you give it some thought. It does imply that they might have been taken by the Academy at a toddler age, so they never learned what their biological parrents actually called them. It is never explained at what age the Academy harvests its specimens, but it does make sense to have the least outside 'taint' not to skewer any results (which would imply very erly age).

...See? Anything can be explained with a combination logic and imagination. :D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 07:05:21 pm by Ashghan »

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8433 on: April 19, 2022, 10:57:37 pm »
If you set the order to more than the amount of books you have

Well, I suppose you're right... tho that only works if the amount of books you have is high enough to occupy the workspace (more than runts/12). Nevermind then.

But early on you'd most likely not have a crew good enough to attempt some of them

The event itself does requires a certain tech level and Wastelend Sorceress (June+) to trigger, so even if the firstMonth: 9 requirement was removed, the earliest time you could do any of those missions would be July, which I wouldn't call early. Personally, I'm not in favor of events that are month-based, and believe that it's better game design if events are primarily based on the pace at which the player progresses through the game (tech tree).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 11:05:49 pm by Delian »

Offline Earthquake

• Captain
  • Glory to Ukraine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8434 on: April 23, 2022, 04:20:45 pm »
Is there any update in far, far future?)

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8435 on: April 23, 2022, 05:51:06 pm »
Uuuh? The update is not even a full month old and you're asking for the next one? The answer would be - yes, there is an update planned. In the fututre. Somewhere.

Well, I suppose you're right... tho that only works if the amount of books you have is high enough to occupy the workspace (more than runts/12). Nevermind then.
Well, you can have less runts working on this project to match a low number of books. With the rest doing something else - like for example making more books :)

Personally, I'm not in favor of events that are month-based, and believe that it's better game design if events are primarily based on the pace at which the player progresses through the game (tech tree).
I'd disagree. With the tech tree complicated as it is now, you'd probably miss a lot of things due to how RNGesus works. And besides - the world is evolving around you regardless of what your Brainers are working on. Having the entire world stuck at "Tech level 1", just because you havent researched the "Tech 2 Unlock" is preposterous, while at the same time universally present in modern games. Becasue balance reasons

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8436 on: April 24, 2022, 04:55:20 am »
And besides - the world is evolving around you regardless of what your Brainers are working on. Having the entire world stuck at "Tech level 1", just because you havent researched the "Tech 2 Unlock" is preposterous

I said "primarily", not unconditionally. Obviously the difficulty will gradually ramp up over time, even if you don't research anything, but there's a limit to everything. Actually, it's ironic that you mention this, because the event in question does in fact require you to unlock certain research to trigger, so I guess the brainers do matter? Anyway, if you play well, then the game should get more difficult faster (but not in a punishing way), and if you play badly, then it should get difficult a bit slower (but not to make it super easy), that's all there is to it. Events/missions that are purely month-based, such as the missile strikes or ninja bases, can serve the base difficulty curve, but most other events should adapt to how well the player is doing so that the game stays challenging and non-linear.

Hmm, I guess one annoying problem that's worth mentioning is that, modders currently can't easily (ignoring the workarounds) define event trigger conditions to utilize the OR logic, that is, for events to be tiggered either by unlocking research or at a certain month.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 01:58:44 pm by Delian »

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8437 on: April 26, 2022, 01:55:52 pm »
M.5.2.1 has new firing sounds for homefront and ramshakel rifle, thanks! I llke the new "tenka tenkoid" battlescape track, while "syntetic dreams" has been renamed as "rise"
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 02:21:54 pm by ontherun »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N1 29-Apr-2022 Every Day Is Caturday
« Reply #8438 on: April 29, 2022, 06:46:12 pm »
New version up!
v.N1 29-Apr-2022 Every Day Is Caturday:
 Enjoy the fruit of labour of the Nekomimi team - completely new race of soldiers, the catgirls, with their own armor, weapons, tech, trainings and so on!
Another major change is a much needed Ninja earlygame rebalance which should finally restore the pre-M1 slowburn, no-rush feel of the game.

Have fun!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8439 on: April 29, 2022, 07:04:48 pm »

I actually hope for it to crop up by second part of y2 on average, october y1 minimum is only to set to make sure it doesn't happen way TOO early - so you can have some fun combat in the "I'm curbstomping everything and it's boring" age.
As for monetary/resource rewards, I never give much thought to these. This one could possibly unlock clone buying or something, or a completely new reward will appear looking for a mission to get tied to as it is often the case, but that's a story for another time.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 07:06:55 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Interdictor

• Sergeant
  • AC-Incendiary! Let autocannon burn again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8440 on: April 29, 2022, 10:36:10 pm »
- Gfx improvements to paperdolls: Academy Nurse, Researcher, Medic, Engineer, Esper, Osiron Yeoman, Church Neophyte, Mutant Half-Uber, Brute, Lamia (by Interdictor w/ some slight modifications)

I've just quickly checked updated paper-dolls and has not found anything closely resemble to my past contribution. Please check maybe somebody else nickname should be mentioned in this update changenotes instead of mine. Latter one is misspelled too but anyway.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8441 on: April 29, 2022, 11:57:17 pm »
Miscredited. These all are by Mikkoi.

Offline DarthTheIII

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8442 on: April 30, 2022, 08:17:34 pm »
Will the new ninja HQ still do ninja attacks on government?  Those were the only part of early ninja aggression that felt really punishing. 

Offline Torchwood

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8443 on: May 01, 2022, 12:46:34 am »
Spoiler:
Only in its final stage, which you'll only get to in late 2602 at the earliest. The ninja HQ starts off less agressive than an airfield, but upgrades twice. Unlike the airfield, it can never upgrade early and needs at least 10/20 months of age to upgrade.

Offline DarthTheIII

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8444 on: May 01, 2022, 08:36:07 am »
Cool, that seems a lot better.  Does the first tier of hq have any 14mm turrets?