aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3611181 times)

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - L5A2 01-Nov-2020 New Energy v2
« Reply #7950 on: December 05, 2020, 04:49:11 pm »
@RSSwizard
Are you sure you ain't talking about Worms? :)

Appreciate the amusing lesson but we got ourselves a classic case of diametrically opposite styles of play. Since very early into the game I focused on pistols because of sensible TU cost and better accuracy than rifles. When I noticed Magnum in tech tree I knew what I want in my life. I did read a bit outdated guide which praised grenades as sure-fire cure against armored folk and vehicles so I put my faith in them for when the time comes. When it did I was very disappointing to see how the very first enemy vehicle was completely immune to then strongest Frag Grenades I had in the arsenal. After that I realized nades are only meant to clear foliage in Jungle maps.

Also, my short explosive experience yielded completely different results sorry to way. Instead kill everything it was closer to mass suicide. Last night I was in position to use Willie Pete appropriately for the first time, on a Reaper Calvary. It died instantly. But then I reloaded and just Shock'a'Fist it to sleep, saving TUs (he spent his getting closer), and more raw resources for a live specimen. Even in this ideal although rare case it was still the worse choice. Of course there are plenty more examples this is just most recent one. I'll just keep to my proven long distance surgical approach. Nothing beats seeing target rich environment once on roof of a CONVOY or FORTUNA!

You mentioning relay trick made me recall my Hammer relay to handle first Guildmaster encounter. It was so epic lol. So glad AI wielding ranged weapons gets super confused in close quarters. Think it was only once it did walk a square away just to turn around and shoot. Every other time it spends its turn walking around in confusion until TU exhaustion (usually ending where it started :D). Just don't try it on a RPG guy. They're more than willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7951 on: December 05, 2020, 10:55:29 pm »
Yeah about the menacing hill, I still have to figure out which one of them has the Space Flight capability so ill just pick that one from now on.

In other news encountered a landed hopper last night, nice score for month 3.
And then THIS happens.
If there were Sanity Points in this game even the dog would have lost some.
I should've suspected something when the dog barks wouldn't work, and then this regular guy starts trying to zap the doggie. Im laughing thinking "He's trying the Power of Science!".
And then Doggie goes and pulls his flesh off, which was kinda tough to do.
Revealing the awful truth.

Airbus was the auxiliary team at this point so it was purely smash and grab with low end Hands in training. So they really didnt have anything to deal with a goddamned Robot imposter.  :P
And with its Mouth Gun revealed I just had to start over from scratch.

In the end I manually looted the ship and only grabbed some of the crew. While being careful to avoid our robot-in-the-flesh friend because honestly he did have a gun. Gets to be kinda a hassle making sure everyone stays knocked out too.

Offline Jimboman

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7952 on: December 06, 2020, 12:40:48 am »
To RSSWizard:  Grey codex gives you the Fortuna, which can go into space as well as underwater.

The first time I saw one of those disguised robots the gals only had muskets and knives, and needed a change of underwear afterwards.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7953 on: December 06, 2020, 02:19:38 am »
if you pay really close attention there is a small difference in visuals for the disguised 801s. The middle click paper doll is more obvious.

Offline Usatyi1986

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7954 on: December 06, 2020, 01:11:18 pm »
Hi, everyone! I have been playing in "UFO: Enemy Unknown" about 20 years and like "Piratez" mod.
Have some proposition:
1. I view an interesting the possibility to get enemy ship, repair it on a mission and return on a base or same way.
How about to do something about it? I my opinion, this is unhiding a new field of game tactics.
2. Can i ask, how to use sand bags? Didn't handle this.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 01:14:34 pm by Usatyi1986 »

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7955 on: December 06, 2020, 02:17:14 pm »
1. On top of being very, very hard (even impossible) to do on X-COM engine, it would be also unbalanced.
2. What "sand bags"? I can recall such item in the past, but it was deemed broken/unnecessary/something and removed, because it was just part of protective gear that gave your unit additional ressistances to few types of damage.

Offline Usatyi1986

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7956 on: December 06, 2020, 03:17:24 pm »
JustTheDude, i thought, that bags with sand could be use by install them on the ground, like a wall and shelter against bullet, and do not carry in permanent manner. To sitting after them and shooting. In this way, it could be usable tools for defence position.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 03:22:53 pm by Usatyi1986 »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7957 on: December 06, 2020, 05:38:00 pm »
sadly the engine cant spawn terrain from player objects.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - L6 06-Dec-2020 Bag Of Tricks
« Reply #7958 on: December 07, 2020, 03:56:51 am »
New version available! Enjoy! Happy Santa Claus' day!
And thanks for bugreports, these really help to keep the mod clean.

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7959 on: December 07, 2020, 04:41:58 pm »
Wow, that is one hell of a bag. Fantastic list of updates! Still cannot imagine how you do it.

I almost never play games on release day so missing out on joy of early collective discovery is common for me lol. With XPZ I hardly expected seeing updates adding and positively affecting stuff in the middle of my playthrough, over six years after release. You managed to bring a rare feeling back.

Interestingly a lot of updates coincide with my current progress. Just recruited my first Gnomes; researching Chem that leads into CRY ammo (dieing to test on horde of Zombies); H/K removal is very welcomed for convenience and even logical when you think about it; half of my fleet is Gaussed; Laser ignite / Chem smoke switch is a stroke of genius (just recently started playing with Lasers and thought how cool would it be if they ignite). And new OXCE gonna make life a lot easier with one desperate little tweak I nervously waited for.

Gotta hand it to you - no game has managed to keep me so intensely addicted for nearly 2 months now and with no end in sight. Not even counting couple of weeks spent researching if I'd like it before that. So many new goals to put infront of yourself to keep you going. Truly unique. Thanks also for not touching Mjölnir like I feared. And can't help myself but: you know prisoners are still living it large in luxury, having more space for themselves, compared to miserably packed sardine Gals? :p

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7960 on: December 09, 2020, 01:00:07 am »
Hey so umm... I just sold the last of my Big Rocks and right after that popped the Minecraft research tech.
Which gives me the option to Break Big Rocks.
Though, I currently have 0 Big Rocks.
Will I be finding more Big Rocks in the future... Or have I made a boo-boo?

Also: Is it possible at any point to Buy new Land Deeds? Ive still got mine, just wondering if its a starter item only.

Unrelated:
Im making a HQ Sounds mod for X-Piratez, which will include some of the sounds from the xcom HQ soinds pack. Since I figured out how to make the sounds work in X-P  (... tedious, but doable) I will be going ahead with it. Since its not official it bears much less scrutiny from 'govt factions' as it were. Dunno when I will want to upload it but itd start at a low version number and build from there.

Got stuff clabbered together from Halo, Fallout, Quake 1 Remastered sound effects. And a particular magnum shotgun sfx from resident evil 2 which is perfect for loads of shotguns and hand cannons. I'm really digging the new random sound sets functionality... can get several variations of the halo battle rifle burst with that (uac rifle sfx).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 01:10:10 am by RSSwizard »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: December 09, 2020, 03:42:24 am »
More big rocks is possibility through events. And nothing you get from rock breaking is unique. Its slightly more profitable to break em, but its a lot of runt hour investment, at a point when you dont have much to spend.

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7962 on: December 09, 2020, 04:21:16 am »
I waited like a chump to uncover tech to crush Big Rocks. Can't say anything worthwhile came outta waiting so that it payed off. It's alright to sell if space is bothering you. Land Deed purchases are mid-game stuff, you wont have to worry about that for a loooong time. But I suggest to invest into large vaults at your primary base. It's gonna lighten the burden in the long run trust me.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7963 on: December 09, 2020, 05:22:38 pm »
Yeahhh there aint no way im making a 2x2 size facility at my main base. All the possible places are taken up with something essential, cant even build over anything. Secondary base has plantations though. Itll take a month and ill be shortstaffed on runts because ill have to nuke a barracks and burrow.

Actually im Very Happy and thankful for the Gambling option and the strongboxes, ive gotten very important stuff through it and its been worth the expense. Are the Grapes/Melons/Produce useful? I figure they might be later on for Cooking merchandise but so far only the Uber Wheat has been necessary. In any case ive saved 10 of each at auxiliary base and am selling all the rest I acquire.

I snagged a Commando Rifle and 50 Clips early on  :)

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7964 on: December 09, 2020, 08:52:57 pm »
Hold onto Deep One corpses if you are a completionist! Don't extract them for meat to make food. As for veggies in general you can sell off those without RMB interface use, and by the time you gather merch for any meaningful food production the underwhelming profit wont affect anything. I keep some veggies around because they DO provide satisfaction boost (and only that) when I use leftover meat to make some food. Think largest food chain chunk I ever made at once was with 34 Lobsterman meat. Feeling was great but not that great to justify existence of cooking mechanic personally. It comes too late into the play to be financially worth it. Bon apetit.

May I suggest to put following questions into designated topic. So people with similar questions could find it easier while avoiding others getting excited when they see this topic light up for not the reason they hoped for.