Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3610322 times)

xcomfan

Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - L4 15-Sep-2020 Mad Melee Massacre
« Reply #7905 on: September 30, 2020, 12:02:03 pm »
I like how challenging the melee update is, but I feel it makes it a bit too easy for enemies to retaliate (especially on Jack Sparrow difficulty, with enemies getting insane reactions boost). I think it would be a good idea to balance it, for instance, by making more (if not all) melee weapons interrupt reactions.
Agree on that, moreover the "!Socializing!" topic male useless capturing and interrogatin enemies, i think it's a "bonus" to reduce difficulty, but i still think it might also be deferred, pheraps in next versions?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7906 on: September 30, 2020, 01:52:35 pm »
Socializing doesn't wholesale replace captures.  Its function to give you topics about captives you might miss due to RNG. You still need captures to share there get one free pool. With out those topics your gonna be blocked from game progression within a few months in several branches.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: September 30, 2020, 04:14:25 pm »
I like how challenging the melee update is, but I feel it makes it a bit too easy for enemies to retaliate (especially on Jack Sparrow difficulty, with enemies getting insane reactions boost). I think it would be a good idea to balance it, for instance, by making more (if not all) melee weapons interrupt reactions.

Or have melee weapons do damage to TUs.

xcomfan

« Reply #7908 on: October 02, 2020, 01:32:34 pm »
Some observation, why megapol cannot have their own issued weapons? for instance there is a space ranger pistol & rifle which are not used by space rangers since they do not exist - or gonna be implemented don't know - but i think it's very strange that a well enstablished and founded police corp uses rusty niners...ant least the rangers one might be rebranded as megapol pistol and so on...since RCF has a dedicated carabine...

They later carry also plasma weapons, but again these are a bit too excessive for them, how to replace with laser ones? the plasma should be an exclusive or mercenaries and star gods, while gauss might be a bit more common, though in the mid-higher factions, like mercenaries and marsec, though in xcom apocalypse the latter had theri weapons too, so some dedicated firearm may be a nice contribute

By now boom gun is the only megapol exclusive, just saying... :)

Edit: Bootypedia still need a bit of rearrangment, for instance lighter is listed among explosives instead of utility equipment. Also accordin to what Greep writes the [ i ] tag should be backed up by a [ b ] mark (buyable)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 07:03:53 pm by xcomfan »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7909 on: October 02, 2020, 04:48:47 pm »
I like how challenging the melee update is, but I feel it makes it a bit too easy for enemies to retaliate (especially on Jack Sparrow difficulty, with enemies getting insane reactions boost).

Jack Sparrow is not meant to be balanced in any way.

Agree on that, moreover the "!Socializing!" topic male useless capturing and interrogatin enemies, i think it's a "bonus" to reduce difficulty, but i still think it might also be deferred, pheraps in next versions?

Look into what topics can be actually gotten from Socializing and rethink your statement.

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: October 04, 2020, 11:43:18 am »
Some observation, why megapol cannot have their own issued weapons? for instance there is a space ranger pistol & rifle which are not used by space rangers since they do not exist - or gonna be implemented don't know - but i think it's very strange that a well enstablished and founded police corp uses rusty niners...ant least the rangers one might be rebranded as megapol pistol and so on...since RCF has a dedicated carabine...
1. Megapol from XPiratez and Megapol from XApoc are two (vastly) different organizations. Same with Marsec. Please stop mixing the games.
2. They are a police force. Period. They're reluctantly sponsored by the Govts, but I assume the sponsors are not really interested in having a strong police force outside their control. So they get shitty equipment. The 'plasma upgrade' is most likely funded from outside (big factions) or forced on the Govts by Star Gods - to "handle these pesky pirates wannabes once and for all".
3. Space Rangers are a membership organization, not a faction per se. It's mentioned in the Bootypedia that some (most?) high ranking members of other factions are also members of the Rangers. They're an evil mix between a gentleman's club and volunteer militia. They sure as hell can afford their own line of weaponry. And they are probably not going to share it with a bunch of dirty beastmen that call themselves the police.

They later carry also plasma weapons, but again these are a bit too excessive for them, how to replace with laser ones? the plasma should be an exclusive or mercenaries and star gods, while gauss might be a bit more common, though in the mid-higher factions, like mercenaries and marsec, though in xcom apocalypse the latter had theri weapons too, so some dedicated firearm may be a nice contribute
1. Plasmas -> see point 2 above.
2. Marsec does have their own weapons. Just because you haven't met them, doesn't mean they're not there. For the n-th time - play the mod more, before making suggestions.

Lastly - asking for total conversions (like the swapping of weapon types - which would require re-balancing the entire mod) or changes that are of a 'I don't like it' category is a nice way to get permanently ignored, at best. If there is so much that is wrong with Xpiratez that you have to complain about it on and on and on, then perhaps this is not the mod for you. You can either choose some other mod or modify XPiratez on your own - it's open source and easy (technically speaking) to do so. Dioxine is open to suggestions on how to improve the mod on a objective level - not to adjust it to everyone's liking.

xcomfan

« Reply #7911 on: October 04, 2020, 01:49:04 pm »
Lastly - asking for total conversions (like the swapping of weapon types - which would require re-balancing the entire mod) or changes that are of a 'I don't like it' category is a nice way to get permanently ignored, at best. If there is so much that is wrong with Xpiratez that you have to complain about it on and on and on, then perhaps this is not the mod for you. You can either choose some other mod or modify XPiratez on your own - it's open source and easy (technically speaking) to do so. Dioxine is open to suggestions on how to improve the mod on a objective level - not to adjust it to everyone's liking.

Dear Ashghan, actually i did not write i"i don't like this" etc, just making some food for thought neither complaining not ordering obviously i cannot even conceive to force someone to do something! At least i'd propose to reconsider  these niner  - since are second hand brigand stuff - and eventually being replaced by manstoppers or even better assault pistols.  :)

Offline LexThorn

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7912 on: October 11, 2020, 09:48:08 am »
Dear Ashghan, actually i did not write i"i don't like this" etc, just making some food for thought neither complaining not ordering obviously i cannot even conceive to force someone to do something! At least i'd propose to reconsider  these niner  - since are second hand brigand stuff - and eventually being replaced by manstoppers or even better assault pistols.  :)

If you don`t like something - you free to mod it yourself. That`s it. No need to talk. Go end create something. If I need something - i mod it in my copy of the game. This is The Way.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:51:57 am by LexThorn »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7913 on: October 11, 2020, 10:47:23 pm »
As far as regular real-life firearms are concerned, the material of the bullet affects penetration and fragmentation (here: armor penetration and 'health damage'), while the impact power (damage) is a property of the cartridge itself, for the most part. So a .44 magnum revolver round will (in almost all cases) have more raw 'damage' (due to high kinetic energy)

Im VERY GLAD x-piratez is still around. I haven't been here in awhile because my computer died, though due to boredom ill be rigging up android oxce just to have something to do.

About the Damage/Penetration question I think it overly complicates things, and since you have 2 factors already the adjustments to ToHealth effects would be the exception not the rule. I believe the fine tune adjustments (eg Fatal Wounds) are usually there to bypass the hardcoded mechanics, eg the way x-com does it.

You principally have Terminal Effects on targets and Armor Penetration to account for.
It all depends on what your focus is in a game. For example in DOOM its all anout Terminal Effects, how much hurt it puts on the enemy. But in that game Armor is a sidenote, so its understandable to do that. In that game a Shotgun is 7 times deadlier than a pistol. And none of the monsters or even the player has enough armor to no-sell even a single shotgun pellet.

"Power" can represent Armor Penetration foremost and let terminal effect be a biproduct of it. Or it can represent Terminal Effect and let Penetration be a biproduct of the harm it causes. It all depends, as a designer, on where your emphasis is.

In X-Com and X-Piratez the emphasis is pretty much on Armor Penetration but ive noticed some items may only have 1 or 2 ammo types and they still get an armor multiplier. I think it would be more convenient to just make it overall stick to one or the other as a priority, but the bootypedia DOES list the factors that are applied to it.

Yeah you can do that, its all up to style, but I think it overly complicates things. If you can make one factor do the work of two thats more preferable IMO.
My way would've been to focus on Terminal Effect/Harm for what the Power of the weapon represents, and then just apply armor penetration modifiers to everything. The one thing that is universal is being naked and bleeding, Armor comes and goes.

TLDR - I agree with the numbers.

RE:  Battle Tank Prices
I agree on the balancing, it doesn't make the game easier but X-Piratez isnt supposed to be easy, and you get hit with that flyswatter right from the start of the game. It's not X-Com and making money by manufacturing is a sweat shop activity. Its an option for making money but it shouldn't be the only option. You really do need to be encouraged to get out there and rob civvies/factions.

RE:  Megapol/Marsec/Factions
I definitely agree about the dog cops being given crap, but good armor. Still I DO think they should be given their own sort of weapons that have Biometric Locks so that they use standard ammunition... but you Cannot use their guns until you crack them with research. That would make more sense realistically and it works slightly against you as a player (these items could also have a particularly low sales value, at least non-cracked models, because they aren't useful on the black market). It would be an opportunity for Dioxine to give them retro-futuristic plasticy Blue+White looking guns too.

If I understand it correctly Megapol isnt supposed to be good for you, except for experience and reputation, because you're bad guys and they're the (regular) cops.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 11:01:03 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7914 on: October 30, 2020, 02:40:46 pm »
They do have several weapons pretty much unique to them - mini-SMGs, scout rifles, batons and riot shields, and to a lesser degree, police revolvers and shotguns. And you want me to make MORE? Come on man. Have mercy.

xcomfan

« Reply #7915 on: October 30, 2020, 02:58:35 pm »
They do have several weapons pretty much unique to them - mini-SMGs, scout rifles, batons and riot shields, and to a lesser degree, police revolvers and shotguns. And you want me to make MORE? Come on man. Have mercy.

The point - i think - it' not more but better  8)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - L5 30-Oct-2020 New Energy
« Reply #7916 on: October 30, 2020, 08:02:11 pm »
New version up. Enjoy.

Offline Jimboman

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7917 on: October 30, 2020, 10:05:23 pm »
New version up. Enjoy.

How the heck do you DL from that site though?  I hit download, it does some weird shit and locks-up instead of asking me for a DL location.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7918 on: October 30, 2020, 10:57:36 pm »
From what i've seen (firefox on linux) it first downloads to some $TEMP location. When download is complete you can choose where to store the file.

If it locks up somewhere during that process one of the most likely causes is some AntiVirus interference.

Offline ZoA

• Captain
  • Please don't go. The drones need you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: October 30, 2020, 11:04:37 pm »
"New version up. Enjoy."

Thinks dude!