aliens

Author Topic: [WIP][MOD][OXCE] From the Apocalypse 0.25.6  (Read 235438 times)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
Re: [MOD] From the Apocalypse WIP
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2015, 10:55:39 am »
What I'm curious though is about the Geoscape/Storyline of this Total Conversion. Lately I've been also getting very interested in developing TCs but this is a sort of project that I'd like to do together with someone else because of the work involved.
Geoscape modification is too far away in the future to be detailed now; I only have a rough idea. Storyline will be quite lax, I don't want to lock the player into a narrative; also I'm mostly set on the idea that every research should give the player something, so no "story researches"** (with the only exception being the alien life cycle).

**Not that I think they're necessarily bad, they're probably needed if you're aiming for a more flashed out/rich narrative.

I don't think anything in mapscript/mission script is yet fleshed out enough, but I'm hopeful that there will be some more options to do some interesting things with those once they are better documented. You can tie a race to a terrain now, so I wonder if there might be a way to hack that together with the civilians? I'd love to be able to do something like APOC defense stations, but there's just no way to do it right now.
About turrets, I asked Warboy on 0-energy HWPs too (I removed the defense facilities). The problem with that solution is that there's little to no control about their spawning on the map, since there's no HWP-specific spawn points.
About civilians in base, I guess another way to try to do it would be to turn the engineer/scientist items into HWPs. Provided it works, it would be fun to see what happen when a base with 100 scientists and 250 engineers is invaded :P
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:03:00 am by robin »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2015, 12:59:11 pm »
About turrets, I asked Warboy on 0-energy HWPs too (I removed the defense facilities). The problem with that solution is that there's little to no control about their spawning on the map, since there's no HWP-specific spawn points.

You can set nodes for A;;/Large units, I would think it should be enough, though I haven't tested it and I sure Warboy knows better.

About civilians in base, I guess another way to try to do it would be to turn the engineer/scientist items into HWPs. Provided it works, it would be fun to see what happen when a base with 100 scientists and 250 engineers is invaded :P

X-Com: Total War. :P

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2015, 02:01:26 pm »
You can set nodes for A;;/Large units, I would think it should be enough, though I haven't tested it and I sure Warboy knows better.
I know, I think it should work "decent enough" too; I'm definitely going to experiment with this solution.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2015, 03:31:49 pm »
civilians in base defenses should always be there (every installation needs non-combat-personnel, even something as small as x-com), but it would surely be nice if there were special civilians in appropriate settings onls:  lab-coat-civilians only when there are scientists, and blue-coverall-civilians only when there are engineers...

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2015, 03:40:19 pm »
Geoscape modification is too far away in the future to be detailed now; I only have a rough idea. Storyline will be quite lax, I don't want to lock the player into a narrative; also I'm mostly set on the idea that every research should give the player something, so no "story researches"** (with the only exception being the alien life cycle).

Well, I'm currently considering creating a Mars globe since I'm pretty much tired of of looking at good old Earth, and I've got several ideas for Total Conversion storylines based on the timeframe between Interceptor, Apocalypse and even Genesis (which was never finished and published but the producer revealed aspects of its story a while ago in an interview).

I know, I think it should work "decent enough" too; I'm definitely going to experiment with this solution.

I remember the 'turrets' being discussed before and one way would be to design maps with locations for the 'turrets' (which would be HWPs) to be generated using nodes set for large units. This will not be perfect though, since any vanilla HWPs would also be generated in those locations, as you say on a post after this one.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 03:45:36 pm by Hobbes »

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2015, 06:39:07 pm »
civilians in base defenses should always be there (every installation needs non-combat-personnel, even something as small as x-com), but it would surely be nice if there were special civilians in appropriate settings onls:  lab-coat-civilians only when there are scientists, and blue-coverall-civilians only when there are engineers...
Civilians are low on the priority list, I still have to finish the hostile humans and basically make all the aliens; I'll likely have placeholders borrowed from other mods, until then.
Civilian scientists exist because hostile scientists were made first, and thus the graphics was ready.

Well, I'm currently considering creating a Mars globe since I'm pretty much tired of of looking at good old Earth, and I've got several ideas for Total Conversion storylines based on the timeframe between Interceptor, Apocalypse and even Genesis (which was never finished and published but the producer revealed aspects of its story a while ago in an interview).

I remember the 'turrets' being discussed before and one way would be to design maps with locations for the 'turrets' (which would be HWPs) to be generated using nodes set for large units. This will not be perfect though, since any vanilla HWPs would also be generated in those locations, as you say on a post after this one.
Well my mod will surely take place on Earth. The story will be.. something in between UFO and Apocalypse (in terms of complexity and amount of exposition); generally I'm not a fan of complicated stories in videogames. The aliens life-cycle/hierarchy is the bit that's going to be flashed out, so that hopefully the extraterrestrial menace is as interesting as it should be; but I'm not interested in doing the same for human factions.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:42:01 pm by robin »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2015, 06:45:54 pm »
This is going to be epic. But, lack of sprites? That multiworm looks just so perfect!

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2015, 11:26:08 pm »
I almost* completed the tileset for human crafts. This is probably the hardest tileset to do.
Here's an Airtaxi (still some stuff to fix).

*maybe, hopefully

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2015, 12:07:13 am »
I almost* completed the tileset for human crafts. This is probably the hardest tileset to do.
Here's an Airtaxi (still some stuff to fix).

*maybe, hopefully

Nice. Very smooth. Good job with the dithering. Good luck with finishing up the human craft tilesets. Be wary though. For some reason the last few tiles are always the worst. At least I find I always get stuck on designing the last few of anything.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2015, 10:47:18 pm »
Be wary though. For some reason the last few tiles are always the worst. At least I find I always get stuck on designing the last few of anything.
You were obviously right...
Now I should really be at the end of the tunnel though.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2015, 02:59:04 am »
Well it has been very hard but it's paying off I guess.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:40:00 am by robin »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2015, 01:50:54 pm »
That feeling when I'm never going to be as good as Robin ;_;

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2015, 08:08:54 pm »
OMFG!!!! Those look awesome!

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2015, 11:43:11 pm »
very impressive !!! :P

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2015, 05:16:09 am »
I'm rather curious robin. What are you going to use most of these vehicles for? I am assuming they are civilian vehicles? I'm interested in just how they are going to be integrated into your mod's ground missions.