aliens

Author Topic: [WIP][MOD][OXCE] From the Apocalypse 0.25.6  (Read 235218 times)

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP][MOD][OXCE+] From the Apocalypse 0.4
« Reply #300 on: January 02, 2019, 12:08:52 am »
Thank you very much for new version !  :)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #301 on: January 02, 2019, 12:25:46 am »
wow, very nice work Robin, i have not been following this mod but i will now as it looks great.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #302 on: January 02, 2019, 01:50:16 pm »
I'd also like to tweak the Luxury Apartments terrain, too many 2-storey buildings: as Hobbes said in another thread, players don't really go there.

I'll just say that Hobbes himself is a master of multi-story buildings, with everything having 3 stories on average and tons of spots for alien snipers and ambushers; so take his advice with a grain of salt :)

Also congrats on the release, the police station is as masterful as any of your terrains!

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP][MOD][OXCE+] From the Apocalypse 0.4a
« Reply #303 on: January 10, 2019, 09:53:43 pm »
new version up, 0.4a.
fixed apartments terrain... but i just realized it needs one more little fix, so there is going to be another version soon-ish.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 11, 2019, 12:25:15 am »
Hi Robin,

One question, how do you to plan handle Mega-primus gameplay compared to the classic x-com geoscape? Additionally, are you planning to add any of the so-called features that were scrapped from the original game?

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 11, 2019, 01:05:16 am »
Hi Robin,

One question, how do you to plan handle Mega-primus gameplay compared to the classic x-com geoscape? Additionally, are you planning to add any of the so-called features that were scrapped from the original game?
I'm not sure I got what you're asking but:
  • Anything fancy needs coding and I can't do that, I'm limited to what's doable by plain modding (which is quite a lot). But scrapped Apoc stuff is mostly (if not completely) fancy stuff that can't be done without coding.
  • There will be multiple mega cities instead of one.. I guess the geoscape will more or less work in a classic UFOEU fashion.
  • There's already human-related missions but its minor stuff. One special human mission will be available once a country has fallen under alien control: instead of an alien base a "Subverted HQ" (or similar) site will be created, if the player clears that battelscape the country will be freed. Also I'd like to add another lesser enemy faction: rogue androids; but we'll see.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 11, 2019, 01:32:01 pm »
So the geoscape gameplay will essentially have players oversee the globe and its many mega-cities, instead of city districts on a flat map?

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 11, 2019, 09:19:20 pm »
So the geoscape gameplay will essentially have players oversee the globe and its many mega-cities, instead of city districts on a flat map?
Yes.
I don't know if a flat geoscape can be done; but even if I manage to make a flat-looking geoscape it would still lack the dynamics/mechanics of Apocalypse (like different buildings having different sensitivity to infiltration, and so on), so in the end it wouldn't be worth it in my opinion.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 13, 2019, 01:58:00 pm »
Geoscape related: long time ago I actually asked Warboy if it was possible to define a series of globe textures acting like "sea" (meaning: no crash site generation on them), so I could draw a spacescape out of the geoscape.
He told me that I was insane. :'(

Indeed it would probably be near impossible to make it look decent.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:02:27 pm by robin »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #309 on: January 13, 2019, 03:12:24 pm »
I've been in this X-Com modding business for 5 years now, and in my opinion, only insane ideas make truly outstanding mods.
This does not make such projects any easier, though.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 13, 2019, 03:21:51 pm »
I've been in this X-Com modding business for 5 years now, and in my opinion, only insane ideas make truly outstanding mods.

I politely disagree.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #311 on: January 13, 2019, 06:53:04 pm »
I meant that memorable mods always introduce something new... New concepts, new mechanics... Otherwise it's reskinned vanilla. Mods without it can be good of course, but they won't break any new grounds.

I am not that great with insane ideas myself, but I steal from insane projects. :)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP][MOD][OXCE+] From the Apocalypse 0.4b
« Reply #312 on: January 13, 2019, 10:59:00 pm »
new version, 0.4b.
moar fixes to police+apartments terrains.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 14, 2019, 02:47:59 pm »
only insane ideas make truly outstanding mods.
From the Apocalypse is a wonderful example of this

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
  • *Visit my DA site - click on the small globe!*
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
Re: [WIP][MOD][OXCE+] From the Apocalypse 0.4b
« Reply #314 on: January 24, 2019, 08:45:42 pm »
Hi!

Well, I have some minor troubles with this mod. I started it on OXCE 3.7x not on "conventional" OXC.
1.: Since the very beginning I have research options for "Floater medic", "Sectoid medic" and Snakeman. All got researched almost instantly (5-8 hours in game time) and either give me a free "live alien report" or crash to desktop (STR_WHATEVER not defined, last time it was the Megaworm\Multiworm)...
2.: When I try to launch one of my crafts the game crashes and say interface elements are missing. I could not got any ground combat or air combat as it just crash when I click on the "Interception" menu.

I downloaded the last valid 7z file from this mod and overwritten the old game folder with it. I not think it is a ruleset error as I always delete old rulesets before override a mod's folder just for sure...