aliens

Author Topic: some sprite reskins  (Read 25584 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: some sprite reskins
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2022, 03:41:59 am »
I updated the Heavy Plasma clip to correct some stuff.

Here's a Skorpion that looks pretty heavy, from an altered ASMG. Actually looks sorta like a pneumatic drill.

And a weapon suggestion... the venom gun from Wolfenstein as a humanist terror weapon to be equipped by some instructors... the "Steiner Wolfen-Phleger"

Without using proprietary ammunition it feeds from 2 clips (AmmoA, AmmoB) of Spraygun ammo and fires bursts of 21 shots each, to make it worth inventing compared to a spraygun. Using Aimed and Auto attack it cannot commit Snap shots. Although its only 24 points of damage thats actually alot of damage early game and it can chew up shields armor (or just chew up gals in skimpy gold shields). To be used with the high fire rate minigun sfx.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 03:47:52 am by RSSwizard »

Offline Psyentific

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2022, 11:01:01 pm »
i bet that skorpion would look better if it was some kind of laser gun. it's already got a couple of shiny bitz.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2022, 06:27:29 am »
Some more really cool stuff.
Assault Rifle with sights and a VFG and a new stock, advanced rifle to go with it. And a Hand Mortar tweaked with colors to look more like its bootypedia prize splash screen.

And a spruced up Light Cannon along with a hand object to go with it, still in the style of the original (but with hazard stripes, instead of the brass horn looking thing on the end). I think this thing is pretty remarkable. The one ive got in my personal mod looks sorta like a zorg gun made from the original into a 1x3 size weapon. And ill be replacing it with this one for sure.

Offline Berggen

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2022, 01:27:36 pm »
I´m loving all the models, great job, I wish I could do pixel art like that.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2022, 04:17:15 am »
mostly doodling on my phone using a version of GrafX2 which is a remake of deluxe paint, the program they originally made xcom stuff with. Its very clunky, you cant scale or rotate anything, you cant load palettes even.

But I dont have a computer atm and ive been playing an older version of the game (L9) with some mods, and ive wanted to be creative. Posting gfx I figure other people might like them, might even benefit X-P, ive had other stuff I made get adopted. But its nothing serious, just being haphazard and such.

Offline Berggen

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2022, 11:27:51 am »
mostly doodling on my phone using a version of GrafX2 which is a remake of deluxe paint, the program they originally made xcom stuff with. Its very clunky, you cant scale or rotate anything, you cant load palettes even.

But I dont have a computer atm and ive been playing an older version of the game (L9) with some mods, and ive wanted to be creative. Posting gfx I figure other people might like them, might even benefit X-P, ive had other stuff I made get adopted. But its nothing serious, just being haphazard and such.

Then is much more impressive to me

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2022, 07:05:00 pm »
The difficulty with Grafx2 on a phone or tablet is no mouse, dont know where the cursor is, so when you tap it just goes right there, lotta undo button taps going on, and zoom function only goes up to 4x (with x4 scaling normally). But it has a really cool feature deluxe paint 2 had with the ability to do "smoothing" or Anti-Aliasing inside a native 256 color environment, a trick all paint programs forgot how to do afterwards, and one so simple algorithmically that a x386 had no problem keeping. Might understand abit how they made things like this now eh? ID Software even used it to make the graphics for Quake 2.

It does also make selecting colors on the palette pretty easy as well as creating new palettes. But to (for example) use the modern X-P palette it basically comes down to loading an image that carries it, wiping it, expanding the size to the intended image, and then copypasting the other thing onto it.

As a disabled person I have to fill my time with stuff, and growing up in the 80s/90s I first got my feet wet making doom sprites on dpaint2, among other things, and not knowing about the smoothing function for a couple years. My art talents didn't age well with the aero design of photoshop's adjustment layers, but im an old hat at this stuff.

Just be thankful its not the 1990s LOL because I lived there  :P
Computers cost as much as a used car.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2022, 12:37:42 am »
one irony is I wanted to actually draw an Auto-9 Robocop style handgun inspired by that Trolletariat splash screen to replace the standard Assault Pistol...

And then the Auto-9 ends up in the game anyways.

Also have an idea for turning 8/6g Buckshot guns into double barrel blasts (ammo capacity 1, more damage or more pellets) but thats more of a mod gameplay idea. Super Shotgun (Doom SSG) behavior. Just bothers me IRL they only fire one barrel but in all the games and movies it always fires both, would be better if it fired both automatically.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2022, 02:34:17 pm »
This new batch of models is really nice, I will use some of them :)
I also like the Wolf gun idea, not sure if I can fit it into deployments, however (replacing LMGs would disrupt game progression).
I don't like the shotgun idea, I think player should be given choice of shooting one or both barrels as wishes.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2022, 03:07:12 am »
thanks Dx

Also this is for solarius scorch since he had some issues with palettes, I tweaked some colors (reds and the first gray range). Yes its the assault laser. Yes it looks kinda like an ar 15. Yes its a frankenstein. On second thought I think its abit chunky.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2022, 01:33:51 pm »
thanks Dx

Also this is for solarius scorch since he had some issues with palettes, I tweaked some colors (reds and the first gray range). Yes its the assault laser. Yes it looks kinda like an ar 15. Yes its a frankenstein. On second thought I think its abit chunky.

Thanks! Though I don't have such a weapon... yet. ;)

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2022, 11:22:00 am »
I think your sprites look great. I made a quick submod out of them so I can carry it over between Piratez updates easily. Maybe you should consider making one yourself and sharing it for convenience?

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2022, 11:03:12 pm »
Thanks! Though I don't have such a weapon... yet. ;)

Here's another Assault Laser that I think looks interesting (made from the portable lascannon). Suggests it has a laser dot thats why its accurate one handed.

I also added another palette tweak on range 7 which is normally a duplicated goldenrod color. I gave it a Flesh Tone. Now the problem is some gfx may look a little off considering that Range 2 and Range 7 were so similar and had probably shared a bunch of colors. This doesn't change the result much for midtones but the brighter ones may stick out slightly. Im talking about both modern sprites and the original tiles. (The screenshot image is only a preview, its not 8bit, but you could sample off of it. It also contains the other modifications for gray, red.)

This allows having flesh tones that aren't like The Simpsons and also some explosion graphics with proper oranges.

also about PS7... I believe it can be found at archive dot org

I think your sprites look great. I made a quick submod out of them so I can carry it over between Piratez updates easily. Maybe you should consider making one yourself and sharing it for convenience?

I think modders for X-P should consider starting to make mods which affect X-P itself rather than trying to tack a mod onto a mod. It can work but its very clunky.

If you put a rules file in there with a title that starts alphanumerically earlier than any of the others (eg, "AlphaOmegaFoxtrot.rul") it will actually be read and parsed AFTER all the others allowing you to override, delete, change things directly within the mod rather than skirting around it. This is important for example if you want to reuse existing sprite and sound assets... and its also becoming important due to Memory concerns.

This way you can basically make a zip file that unloads into the Ruleset folder... has a MyModResources folder that pops in there, and is called from an extraSprites reference in your .rul file.

Granted it has to be put in manually and cant be enable/disable from the standard mod menu. But that decision is forced by OpenXcom architecture not allowing resource sharing between mods.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 11:18:55 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2022, 05:20:24 pm »
By the way, you made a new sprite for the Lasgun, but not for the Custom Lasgun. It's a little odd that they don't look alike now. Maybe you could consider making a new sprite for that?

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2022, 11:58:18 pm »
I never use the custom lasgun so I didn't consider spending the effort, but pretty much it would be a lasgun like I drew, with the new assault rifle stock put on it, and the scope from the Advanced Rifle put on it. This has more to do with doing stuff for my own benefit, but then sharing the results because I figured others would enjoy it. Ie, not being dragged into any kind of drudgery

Why dont I use the Custom Lasgun?
Nyet, Rifle Is Fine.
Also stock bash attacks suck, I can punch twice for the same amount of TUs and punches always seem to be more accurate, dont need the extra damage. Thats just my preference, it sounds like a trap to get you to expend Laser Lenses.

Also, here's the Hellerium RPG Rounds and fixed colors for the other types so that they aren't as dark. I like the AP/Heat versions of them (gray) just the way they are Ill go into the previous posting with the uncorrected ones and delete them.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 12:02:44 am by RSSwizard »