Author Topic: some sprite reskins  (Read 24936 times)

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
Re: some sprite reskins
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2022, 12:13:19 am »
[..]Y'know actually what it reminds me of is like a really used up Keltec Sub-2000 but with the magazine in front rather than in the grip (since AK bullets are too big) [...]

One of my fav post apoc weapons of all time was the Hunting Rifle from the original fallout 1 and 2 which is sorta what it represents. Just that it has 30 rounds instead of 10. The raider with the hunting rifle was the one you really needed to take down while everyone else tried to beat you up and shoot pistols at you - because that dude would do some serious damage if left unattended (like 13-17 points often, and you'd have about 60hp)

oh well i did not know about the kel-tec sub-2000! Hey if you're into fallout love i'd suggest to replace the current ramshackle rifle with the pipe rifle from fallout 2 (ramshakle firearm ever in videogame history?) or the hunting rifle or another more primitive one whatever it might be and the turn the actual ramshackle into some more modern market weapon..

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2022, 02:12:42 am »
its food for thought, to be sure
but it would likely be a frankensprite of the original AK, the military shotgun, and with a magazine under it
im thinking of making the varmint rifle actually an airgun similar to those chinese fully automatic pellet guns, since the damage is equivalent, and its a disc shaped clip that only has 8 shots

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2022, 03:09:46 am »
its food for thought, to be sure
but it would likely be a frankensprite of the original AK, the military shotgun, and with a magazine under it

I meant a very similar sprite to fallout/fallout 2 unting rifle, maybe with its own magazines, it might be possible?

im thinking of making the varmint rifle actually an airgun similar to those chinese fully automatic pellet guns, since the damage is equivalent, and its a disc shaped clip that only has 8 shots

I'd prefer a single action rifle instead, but thats only my opinion :).  Anybody else has other suggestions, please?

Care also for an Hlheavy machine gun restyle? Maybe Dioxine would be happy to see a DShK alike?  :P

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2022, 03:59:29 pm »
here's another one and a real treat too
BFG blast
unfortunately with the gun doing 240 damage the game engine just sorta sprinkles explosion graphics around the impacted area, rather than concentrating them. Still comes out pretty good.
bite sized mod included

There is a way around that if you are using OpenXcom Extended.

The powerForAnimation: setting can control the size of the explosion independently from the weapon's actual damage.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2022, 05:05:48 pm »
Quote from: ontherun link=topic=10753.msg151139#msg151139
Care also for an Hlheavy machine gun restyle? Maybe Dioxine would be happy to see a [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DShK
DShK[/url] alike?  :P

My sprite for HMG had always been based on DShK, if you can make it look better, you're welcome.

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2022, 06:57:12 pm »
My sprite for HMG had always been based on DShK, if you can make it look better, you're welcome.

Oh i'm actually niot able to do that, otherwise i'd asked permission before, and then made it.  :) But thanks for the huge efforts for the mod! Better yet, the brand new game, actually!

Hope RSSwizard might give another shot at glory.... 8)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2022, 03:12:49 am »
Carrying an HMG in my opinion seemed to be directly inspired from Fallout Tactics where in addition to the usual machineguns and LMGs the super mutants would sometimes carry Browning M2 .50 cals which basically hit like a Bozar on steroids. The folks who made X-Piratez have a russian bias so I figured that was the natural replacement (plus in canon russia never signs an alien agreement, so their equipment might survive for years to be picked up later on and reproduced). Similar to the way the Rusty Niner looks alot like a Sig P210, a european model which holds 8+1 of 9mm in single stack.
Problem Iz that the regular Machinegun looks a heck of alot like a Browning M2 because its based on the .30 cal model!

shucks, powerForAnimation sure would be handy but im permanently running L9 on OXCE 7.0 and I think whenever you upgrade OXCE it breaks compatibility with XPZ because of non linear voodoo.

Anyway for whichever reason I have a fetish for the Quake 3 version of the BFG which essentially pumps out rapid fire low powered rockets that can softlock opponents by knocking them around. As an XPZ weapon that would be like a Spitfire that basically ignores armor and digests scenery like a blaster bomb and does 50 damage a pop.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2022, 12:52:26 am »
So I was thinking on a spur of the moment if it can be done, and then it got done pretty quick. Something ive wanted for a long time (well to be fair I wanted one that looked like the enemy armored car).

Black Armored Car for X-Piratez

uses the nazi armored car as a basis and I changed the insignia on the sides, also spruced up the first two machinegun turrets. I cant do much work with moving sprites around on sprite sheets so I borrowed the nazi car and changed drawingRoutine: 2... and so far I have not noticed any problems with it at all.

There are few nazi armored cars in the game, and they use the characteristic blue barrel 25mm cannon so its pretty easy to notice a difference between yours and theirs (personally I dont use the 25mm much).

Ive posted it on mod.io as well

edit:
Ive changed the color for the 14mm/AGL turret to differentiate it from the 25mm one.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 05:01:13 am by RSSwizard »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2022, 03:38:00 am »
also an update/fix for the assault rifle, added a little red bit near the trigger for disrupting the solid gray gamut for the sprite, rifle has a slightly longer barrel shroud and a shiny high quality muzzle brake now
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 04:50:21 am by RSSwizard »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2022, 11:29:39 pm »
The folks who made X-Piratez have a russian bias so I figured that was the natural replacement (plus in canon russia never signs an alien agreement, so their equipment might survive for years to be picked up later on and reproduced).

What folks? I made all the decisions personally (excluding the catgirl content, but in next version it gets a proper polish, I didn't have the time yet to add personal attention to it due to its size) and made lion's share of work. I don't mean to belittle all the people who approached me with their stuff and ideas, and sometimes whole modules (like the superhero outfits) to make the mod better, just you're creating an entity that does no exist. You yourself are the author of a bunch of nice sprites I ended up using, so you are one of these 'folks with Russian bias who made Piratez' yourself? Or am I the author of all the mods which took the stuff I made for Piratez? Almost every mod on this site is using some content I created (which makes me very happy, but does not entitle me to claim 'autorship').

On that topic, what 'Russian bias'? Now that's insulting, considering I'm Polish and the ongoing events in Ukraine. It's basically calling me a 5th columnist. Sorry, it is that bad.

Similar to the way the Rusty Niner looks alot like a Sig P210, a european model which holds 8+1 of 9mm in single stack.

Maybe it does, I stole it from Rise of the Triad. To me it looks more like Colt 1911 but I'm no gun expert. Certainly the shiney version was meant to look like main character's guns from Black Lagoon, which are Colts I think? Most of the handguns look the same to me, with few exceptions like Desert Eagle. Especially if they're just a bunch of pixels fitting into a 16x32 pixel grid.
Besides you're missing the obvious, it's year 2601 and any resemblance to our contemporary guns is purely coincidental :)

Problem Iz that the regular Machinegun looks a heck of alot like a Browning M2 because its based on the .30 cal model!

I'm not a pixel artist. I made it simple. To me it looks kinda like M1919, at least that was what inspired me to make the perforated barrel.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2022, 01:18:38 am »
Sorry I didn't think of it from that perspective. Had to do with several screenshots from the "bad advice" bootypedia topics being in rus language. I have whats called divergent thinking and it makes me a king of miscommunication, and coming to unusual conclusions. I am disabled, and I don't draw a check from the govt.

Anyway here's a pet snubby. Built from parts of the police revolver and a res evil 4 broken butterfly. It should probably be darker blued but I dont want to harm the detail.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 01:21:33 am by RSSwizard »

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2022, 10:29:44 am »
@RSSwizard: nice job on the assault rifle!! Please might i ask to update its post adding a version without that foregrip? I never stood those on firearms >. <  ;D :)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2022, 08:46:40 pm »
@RSSwizard: nice job on the assault rifle!! Please might i ask to update its post adding a version without that foregrip? I never stood those on firearms >. <  ;D :)
It provides an added lever of control and they really help with rapid target acquisition. To the point that they are considered an assault weapon feature. My opinion is an angled grip like a tommygun or maybe 45 degrees, butted up against the magwell, would likely be ideal. Im the kind of person who holds my rifle by the magwell not the foreward grip. I think every rifle and smg/carbine should have them. Including lever action rifles, which should have a 4-6 tube carousel of ammunition able to hold 20+ rounds (check out the SRM-1216 for reference, then put it on a lever action rifle).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 08:49:42 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2022, 04:05:18 am »
all right then, very kind of you thanks! In not into weapon knowledge but i know what foregrips provide. Here in italy laws are very restrictive for private citizens when it comes to firearms so Im happy to know certain things!

Id dare to hope for an heavy machine gun sprite anyways... :-*

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2022, 07:40:24 am »
im thinking of it, and it will follow something similar to this, which is an old distressed looking Machinegun variant. I have this idea about making something like a Maxim Machinegun like those versions with a stock fitted to them that the germans used near the end of ww1. But in 48 vertical pixels im not sure it can be done. Like, instead of 8mm mauser its in 10mm ultra high velocity.