aliens

Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 184161 times)

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #135 on: August 27, 2015, 02:58:07 am »
Hi guys 'n girls,
my name is Christoph, I'm 33 years old with a strong passion for old and strange movies, video games and music (and a little less strong passion for sports and drawing).
Like a lot of others here I must have been around 12-13 years old when I first played X-Com. I also was a huge fan of the X-Files and UFO-related media in general, so when I first saw X-Com it hit a spot.
X-Com is also one of the reasons I still love pixelish graphics, they just leave so much room for imagination.
This place, the developers, the community, the attitude .. it's just great :-) I really enjoy it.

So have a good time everyone, see you around!

I thought I was old in the forum @ 39 years old but it's nice to see fresh people taking an interest in this ongoing project, see you arond the forum Christoph.

Offline Bob of Mage

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2015, 11:35:05 pm »
Greeting comrades!

I come from the Great White North (Canada) and am here to kick some xeno butt. I also go by the name Ian and have been told that I am a 27 years old male human (one can never be too sure what they are with all these aliens around). I am a bit shy so I lurked for quite a bit before I joined. I have Asperger so don't be surpised if I come off as a bit odd (yes I know this is the internet).

Openxcom has been wonderful so far and I am very thankful of everyones hard work, even when I disagree about some of the design choices (mainly an issue with mods which I can mostly fix myself).

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2015, 11:12:04 am »
Greetings I hail from Nigeria. Been playing XCOM since 2001 when I witnessed my uni mate play the game. It looked so interesting and I liked it until my first encounter with the aliens psi-power.

I took a break for 2 years because of changing OS's only to discover that someone had created OpenXCOM. Looking forward to a relaxing time playing this.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2015, 02:24:25 am »
Welcome Bob of Mage and Cristao :)

Offline Sectiplave

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2015, 09:23:04 am »
Howdy,

Sectiplave here hailing from a country that is "interestingly" represented in Xcom's geoscape, and appears to be missing an entire island, little New Zealand :D

I first encountered Xcom Enemy Unknown by watching my older brother play the game in the late 90's (I would have been 10-11) as a kid who grew up playing with toy tanks, buckets of little plasic army men, and G.I JOE figurines the game immediately captured my attention.

It wasn't until a year or two later that I was deemed fit for duty by my older brother and allowed to play the game, it goes without saying since I'm posting here the game left a huge impression on me and to this day is one of my all time favorite games which I come back to every few years for another play through.

Playing the vanilla DOS version very heavily from a young age I simply came to accept the games bugs as the game itself, I also picked up the habit (people can argue if it's good / bad / human nature) of save scumming my way through tough missions instead of learning how to play in a tactical fashion.

A few years later when I had just started what we refer to as high school my brother got us a copy of Terror From the Deep. I always found Xcom EU to be a tense atmospheric game, but for me TFTD and the theme of the unknown deeps really clicked with me and I went absolutely bonkers on this title. I'll often remember back in school competing with a friend for the most "Hardcore" TFTD player, we played as much as possible for months before calling it, and he took the crown with his number of USO's in the thousands and colonies in the hundreds! (I've messaged this friend and reissued the challenge via OpenXcom just today)

I am a gaming addict, but regardless how much time has gone by I find myself returning to what I consider gaming classics time and again. Each time I come back to play the Xcom titles I find my approach is less about abusing RNG seeding, and more about how to use the tools provided to get the job done.

I discovered the UFO / TFTD extender projects in 2013 when I came back for my Xcom fix and really enjoy playing the game minus all the bugs I had taken for granted as well as adding some mods that I would consider "quality of life" improvements. This time around I seem to have come back at the perfect time, not only have I never had the pleasure of using OpenXcom with it's keybinding and battlescape scaling awesomeness, it now supports TFTD!

I've been playing via OpenXcom TFTD for the past 3 days and I feel like a kid back in high school eagerly awaiting my next play session. I truely do look forward to the mods that the community will bring to the game to extend it's life even further. It's times like this I'm sure I'll be 60 years old and still coming back to this game :)

Aside from my fanatical addiction to Xcom and old games, I'm currently playing FF14 (the time sink aspects of MMO's drain me and I may unsubscribe from this) and also really enjoy roguelike games and have an absolutely silly number of play hours in The Binding of Isaac rebirth. I also play through many of the AAA titles, while I enjoy the experience there are few games I ever feel the urge to return to.

That's me, my passion is gaming as a whole and Xcom is one of my pinnacles of the passion. Wow this got long fast :S Cya around!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2015, 02:21:07 pm »
Sectiplave here hailing from a country that is "interestingly" represented in Xcom's geoscape, and appears to be missing an entire island, little New Zealand :D

I think I might be able to add the missing island on the Terrain Pack mod :)

Offline Sectiplave

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2015, 07:19:52 am »
I would be very keen to see that Hobbes :)

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2015, 03:13:31 pm »
Hi all,

Cheers from a the Netherlands. Like so many others here i too discovered the original X-com when i was still a teenager. What a good (and terrifying) experience it was back then. I was pleasantly surprised when I've discovered this project ... what a great job has been performed already.
Not only does it allow me to relive the terrifying moment of the past, the mods allow me to play the game the way i like it best (being forced to make choices without background knowledge).

The community atmosphere is great (yes ... I've been lurking for some weeks), and i am impressed with the code-base.
It is written friendly enough to allow me (no C experience whatsoever) making changes to those elements of the game that irritated me the most in the original.

May all our rookies live long and prosper  ::)
René

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2015, 04:08:29 pm »
Welcome to the community, R1dO. Nice to meet you, hope you'll like it here!

Just curious, what sort of small changes did you do to the code? This is always interesting to discuss. (If you'd like to share it, maybe write in the Modding/Experiments forums to avoid cluttering this thread.)

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2015, 04:45:59 pm »
Thank you Solarius for the welcome.

I will probably make topic in the forum category you've mentioned once i'm back home at the computer that is used for those experiments (so i can provide a screenshot).
For the moment just keep it at the fact that i do not like having to remember the items stored inside a craft when transfering stuff from one base to another (the screens only show what's in storage, not what's in craft).

Offline Snow

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 14, 2015, 03:20:47 am »
Hello from Canada. Even though I'm old enough (37), I never got a chance to play the original Xcom in it's original form via DOS. Slowly over the last few years, seeing the development of Xcom 2 and starting to find out a bit about the history of Xcom and the original one.. and hearing from countless gamers online praise the original Xcom, I decided to finally give it a go. Now I'm very happy to have tried it, but my god, I got killed horribly the first few attempts and now just struggling on my 3rd mission haha. Leave the ship with a crew of 8, half get bitten in 1 round and then some sectoid asshole tosses a grenade and blows up the rest. Nice. On beginner mode.

Anyway, thank you to all of those who have made OpenXcom a reality. Because of this project, it has given me the ability to play what has now become my favorite game.

-Snow

Offline nadir-1648

• Captain
  • Oh yes, this is going to be dreadful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 14, 2015, 04:34:43 am »
Heh. That'll happen. Welcome!

Offline Spycar1234

• Squaddie
  • I'm a bit of a noob to XCOM. Advice Please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2015, 05:07:14 am »
I thought that such thread could be nice ;) For new members, who would like to say hello :)
Heh, not gonna lie, I'll probably be the last person to get on with original xcoms come the release of XCOM 2. I always liked XCOM, ever since my friend showed it to me. Funny too, because he showed me XCOM: UFO DEFENSE about 2 years ago and it blew my mind. I used to play UFO: TTS and it was pretty impressive. Unfortunately the game's forums (and the development) are 4 years dead, with nobody on the internet with a tutorial on it. Not to mention it was my first DDos game since playing XCOM: UFO DEFENSE, so multiplayer was a no-go. I'm probably the youngest one here too. I'm a freshman at highschool and I really look foward to XCOM like games, but not the newer ones as much. I always liked grid based movement game, and I'm not sure why. I must've put 100+ hours into pokemon blue when I was 11 so I guess that was my enlightenment.

So I guess that's all about me, but I could really use a hand. My username is Spycar1234 on everything, so if you see that name it's me (if you want to contact me in any other way). But so far, I have questions.

For starters, TTS has trouble extracting files from enemy unknown for some reason. It says it can't extract pallets from geodata, I think the missing textures from that game is the reason why some things appear as boxes or different colors.

Second, I have started playing openxcom (Something a lot more alive thank god) and I bet I'll sound like an asshat for saying this, but are there any texture packs or mods to up the graphics? I guess open might not be for me. The reason why I question this is because I saw a mod showcasing a vehicle or something but the guy had a sick visual mod that made everything smoothed out.

Please respond to this, I really need the beginning push to get me started. I'll check my e-mail everyday.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2015, 05:33:54 am »
Second, I have started playing openxcom (Something a lot more alive thank god) and I bet I'll sound like an asshat for saying this, but are there any texture packs or mods to up the graphics? I guess open might not be for me. The reason why I question this is because I saw a mod showcasing a vehicle or something but the guy had a sick visual mod that made everything smoothed out.

Please respond to this, I really need the beginning push to get me started. I'll check my e-mail everyday.

Hi there :)

If you're just looking for new terrains, check my Terrain Pack.

If you're looking for more weapons/aliens/etc., you can also check my UFO Redux expansion, which comes with the Terrain Pack included (even has more new terrains since I haven't updated the Terrain Pack for a while) and keeps nearly everything of the vanilla game unchanged. Or if you even want more changes, you can check Solaris Scorch's Final Mod Pack, hellrazor's Hardmode Expansion, or Dioxine's X-Piratez Total Conversion (all of them also include the Terrain Pack and are available at the mod site).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:41:35 am by Hobbes »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2015, 10:27:50 am »
Welcome new recruits,
get your pants stripped tight and your Rifles loaded and ready!
OpenXcom offers you one of the best games made ever in a new qualitativ form, with nearly limitless ability to mod the shit out of it.

Enjoy our friendly and sometimes also weird community, with lots of helpful and also insightful people.

New move your asses towards the Skyranger, get yourself strapped in and be ready for your first and or last mission!