Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 184167 times)

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2014, 08:17:37 pm »
Hello all, I am 34 (35 in 9 days  :o :o) from southern Brazil... you know, that country that was raped 7-1 by Germany while hosting the World Cup. But since I am from a city called Novo Hamburgo, there were quite a few people celebrating here haha.

Anyway, I work with architecture visualization in 3D and I started playing Xcom on DOS around 1995 or 1996, and never stopped.

As some of you may have guessed from my name, I am a fan of Iron Maiden, but I also love Rush, Blind Guardian, ACDC, etc, etc.

niculinux

« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2014, 09:56:13 pm »
As some of you may have guessed from my name, I am a fan of Iron Maiden, but I also love Rush, Blind Guardian, ACDC, etc, etc.

Nice to read you dear "colleague" <3

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2014, 10:50:11 pm »
Hello all, I am 34 (35 in 9 days  :o :o) from southern Brazil... you know, that country that was raped 7-1 by Germany while hosting the World Cup. But since I am from a city called Novo Hamburgo, there were quite a few people celebrating here haha.

You must mean BRA71L? ;)

Well, I am almost the same age, but from Finland.

Started with Laser Squad. First played xcom on Amiga CD32 :) I always dislike the new Firaxis XCOM because it is too "console" game, but then again I used to play Laser Squad with joystick and Xcom with Amiga CD32 gamepad :) but yeah never got too far on the game back then. Started to like it more with PC and it was excellent game to play with friends when kids.

Originally Gollop was going to make Laser Squad 2 and Microprose wanted to publish UFO game instead. I have at times thought about LS2 and now with the Openxcom open code I can try to make something like I thought it could have been. Maybe even better than Xcom game. :)

Offline PAK001

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2014, 11:13:45 pm »
I will continue the "polish takeover" of this site. My name's Paul, I'm from Warsaw, I'm 35. First played Xcom when it was originally published in the 90-ties (I bought it from the gielda na Grzybowskiej - polish members, at least those from Warsaw, will now :-P
Generally I'm a wargamer buff, so I always longed for more realism in Xcom - I think that for me, the best Xcom version would be based on Steel Panthers or Combat Mission engines. Anyway, for last two or three months I was completely sucked into the OXC - great work guys, congrats

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2014, 09:07:54 pm »
I am the Reaver of Darkness, the infinite creature lurking just beyond the shadows, making subtle, positive changes to everything everywhere I go.

I am 30 years old and I first played X-Com at the tender age of 11 I believe it was. I still remember my first ground mission, not understanding how turn-based gameplay worked. There were these odd gray statues in the tall grass, and otherwise I wasn't sure why I was here or what the goal of the mission was.

I have come so far since then, through my early times getting the feel of the game, taking that sweet Avenger out on a night mission with 26 soldiers and losing all of them in the first few turns, learning tactics to fight terror missions such as letting the tanks soak up the fire, playing X-Com: Terror from the Deep and believing Lobstermen and Triscenes could not be beaten with conventional weapons, save-scumming incessantly until the game crashed--to eventually learning to play without save scumming (and discovering it to be surprisingly easy once you ditch the crutch), demolishing all of the high-ranking aliens in the first turn of the mission with Blaster Bombs, taking Mutons down with autocannons, taking Lobstermen down with thermal tazers and explosives. I've come further in X-Com than I have in any other game.

I loved X-Com: Apocalypse when I first tried it. I loved it more than the old X-Com games. I'm still in love with it. Something about that game just draws me in. I always liked playing turn-based mode and running up to point-blank range with the Marsec M-4000 Machinegun to pop off single-time unit shots until the target was dead, or dropping an AP grenade next to a dead multiworm to kill off the hyperworms and using the Megapol armor to absorb the blast. It makes no sense that this would work, but it was fun nonetheless.

Now my life hasn't been all X-Com, just mostly. I spent a few years in the military and otherwise have been a homebody scraping by on minimal income and spending all my time at the computer. I've played a wide variety of games, mostly mundane though a few stand out to me: Diablo II, Soul Reaver, Final Fantasy VIII, World of Warcraft (pre-cataclysm), and EVE Online. Those are the only games I would even begin to compare with X-Com; frankly nothing else could hope to measure up.

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
  • Making no sense since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2014, 07:08:27 pm »
Eyo. I'm the Random Commander because I am extremely unpredictable and I love strategy games like XCOM.

I'm 17 going on 18 (I believe myself to be mature enough), and I first played XCOM: UFO Defense about 2 months ago. I have gotten the hang of the original and decided I should try OpenXCOM for some new material. And new material I got!

I have also tried that spinoff game Interceptor because I am also a big fan of space combat. Got bored of it quickly though.

I was playing TFTD and did not get very far when I heard about OpenXCOM and decided to give this a try instead. This community is great and I cannot wait to input my own crazy sh-- I mean stuff into the mods section!

One little note: I like to joke around. 24-7. It will be hard to tell if I mean it or not, and sometimes I can act a bit crude. I will do my best to control myself though. I just really like funny things.

Offline optimusjamie

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2014, 11:30:39 pm »
Hey. Call me Jamie.
I'm 18 and I started playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown earlier this year. Since then, I've played the original series (including Interceptor and Enforcer- I don't get the hate), OpenXCOM and Xenonauts.

My interest in OpenXCOM is mostly mods- I'm looking to making a standalone game using OpenXCOM as a base. Any idea where to start?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2014, 11:37:47 pm »
Hi Jamie.  If you want to look at a standalone game that is OpenXcom based, I think Piratez has moved the goal posts the farthest without totally recoding the game.  You might start there.

You can also get into the C## code on the github and branch off and build your own game if you like.  Others are doing various projects like that too, and they end up with Custom .exe files that become standalone mods/games.

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline vlad

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2015, 05:00:57 pm »
Hey there, rookie Vlad reporting for another mission.

As i was going to make a post about something else, some information wouldnt fit the thread topic, but as i discovered this one, i will place my story here.

I have been keen player of UFO : Enemy Unknown (different names in different countries, i mean the basic one of the X-COM series) from the very release and it stayed as game with me to this day, along with TTD/OpenTTD and Settlers 2 as one of the best games of my youth. It was so much fun to play the game I even played around with hex-editing and various ways to repair the bugs i encountered (and of course cheating) - 2B issues including soldiers stats, base workers, interceptor minimization and plenty more. After year or two i was able to form a base in hex just from top of my head, equip the base, develop the tech tree, add some soldiers and go for Cydonia. As I am growing older, I must smile at what i did when young. But the feeling of great gameplay have stayed with me till today. Thats why I pull the game out of closet every other year and play some.

Intermezzo :
I tried TFTD, but didnt like it that much (from brief play : same gameplay, different textures).
Played some UFO: Aftermath, UFO: Aftershock and UFO: Afterlight as those were developed in my country by Altar, that was among other things providing D&D rulebooks I used to play with friends in highschool. Those games were good, but still, the feel of "good old X-COM" was pulling me away.

Yet the game really started to be obsolete and I was looking for successor of similar gameplay - in that time 2K anounced development of UFO : EU which i expected to be what i was looking for. Well, it turned out it wasnt, but dont get me wrong, it is good game. But I noticed the Xenonauts project, which was what hit my sweet spot as promised old gameplay in new coat. I have been watching the project going on for some time but lately it felt off my radar as I (again) started the game of UFO:EU. At the start of the year 2015, i rechecked the project and noticed it finally released a full version. I am going to check that one very soon. But what catched my eye, was statement that OpenXCom released as well - I remembered some C version of UFO:EU from my university time, but never payed much attention to it in that time.

And so here I am. Having a blast with OXC. And i would like to thank you for that.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:02:46 pm by vlad »

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2015, 06:17:37 pm »
Welcome! Help yourself to some mods, openxcom.com is ran by a forum member and hosts a great variety of things.

Offline Hollow_Fang

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2015, 08:26:20 pm »
Hi I'm Robert and I'm an alcoholic ,wait... i think I'm in the wrong meeting room :P

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2015, 11:01:45 am »
If your favourite alcohol brand is X-Com, you're in the right room.

Offline Hollow_Fang

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2015, 05:07:43 am »

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2015, 11:13:00 pm »
Hi, I'm Jay.   I just started playing X-COM a few weeks ago (bought it on Steam), and soon found OpenXcom which is AWESOME!.  I am design engineer for a telecom company.  MSEE degree by schooling, but more software engineer by experience (over 18 years).

I'm old enough to have played the original.  I was a sophomore in college around the time it came out and was about the time I bought my own PC (486 DX2 100Mhz baby! - Pentiums just came out).  However, I was more into Wing Commander/Flight Sims, Civilization, and RTS games at the time (although I enjoyed the tactical battles of Gold Box series on C64).

I don't play videogames as much as I used to back in high school and college, but I recently took a trip down memory lane with my kids with some old games.  I had heard of X-COM as one of those classics, and I can certainly see why.  Very well done game even with the few warts it has.  OpenXcom has done a wonderful job of taking some more of those warts away, and the team and community should be commended.  The mods are awesome too.

Ivan, your video series is great.  I've learned a lot even with your mods, and my son and I enjoy watching them.  I think we're on episode 20.  I've downloaded the mod, but not ready to play the Up close and personal challenge yet.

Shoes, your medal/stat tracking mod is awesome is well.  It adds a lot of flavor to the game.

Those are the only mods I've installed so far, and looking forward to exploring more.  I haven't even beat the game yet..sheesh:-)

I'm very tempted to get into the modding community, but we'll see how things go with the limited time I have and too many ideas for too many things that I don't know what's good for me;-)  I think an "Avengers" or an "X-men" mod would be awesome where you take a team of superheroes against the alien horde.  Unbalanced I'm sure, but a blast to play through a couple of times.  Probably would take years to do with all the new rules, stats, and artwork (yes, I've seen the Iron-man suit mod and awesome).

Look forward to more mods and TFTD (got to go buy it after I beat this one).

EDIT: From the US, 41 yrs old, living in Alabama (cue Forrest Gump jokes now).

Cheers!
J
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:39:27 am by jgatkinsn »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2015, 11:18:02 pm »
Welcome, and thanks for the Kind Words, Jay!