aliens

Author Topic: Spanish Translation  (Read 32038 times)

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
Re: Spanish Translation
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 01:11:12 am »
A little question, why is some of the text all in capitals while others are not? is all the UFOpedia supposed to be in capitals? or not?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 01:46:39 am »
A little question, why is some of the text all in capitals while others are not? is all the UFOpedia supposed to be in capitals? or not?
We just follow the original. :) Who knows what the original developers were thinking.

Offline alicantino79

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 01:47:38 am »
Good answer Supsuper!! :-P

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 05:01:05 pm »
so why not correct it :) after all we could consider that a "bug" :O and since we are fixing all bug that should be added to the list :)

Alicantino,

I have decided to look at the Spanish translation, and i just wanted to see your perspective, i know you are the one that has done most of the work, or at least is the one that is most active.

First i wanted to fix the "All capitals" stuff, and i already started on that, just simple rewriting.
Then there were some paraphrasing that i think better suits Spanish in general, i think the current translation is a bit too literal, now i don't know if there should be a regional language as i seen that you entered Español (ES) I presume it stand for España or is it for Español?. Or we simply should find a middle ground.

Anyway i will do the changes and i will submit it, maybe i will simply call it Español (LA) for Latino America.

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 05:14:51 pm »
We just follow the original. :) Who knows what the original developers were thinking.

SupSuper,

Where can i find the english version, i got the game version but it just has all the "null" and in-line text that makes it crazy to read :)

Offline alicantino79

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 05:18:52 pm »
About the capitals: I consider that a minor "bug" (not even a bug at all, the original was made that way...)
The "ES" is for Spanish from spain. If you wish to translate it for a local spanish I recommend you using the international 2 letters code for the new file, for example Spanish(AR) for Argentina. Don't do just one file for all south america. If you did one file for your country (argentina for example) and put (LAT) people from bolivia (for example) would think is not correctly written, and... well, you know what I'm talking about...
The file I made is for Spanish from Spain and, as far as I'm concerned, it's well written. If you think that there's an errata call me (maybe) and I will take a look.  :P

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 12:29:32 am »
so why not correct it :) after all we could consider that a "bug" :O and since we are fixing all bug that should be added to the list :)
It was mentioned before but no agreement came of it.

In some cases it seems text is uppercase to help readability, like in titles, craft entries with complex backgrounds, etc. But developers aren't linguistics :P So it's up to you.

Then there were some paraphrasing that i think better suits Spanish in general, i think the current translation is a bit too literal, now i don't know if there should be a regional language as i seen that you entered Español (ES) I presume it stand for España or is it for Español?. Or we simply should find a middle ground.

Anyway i will do the changes and i will submit it, maybe i will simply call it Español (LA) for Latino America.
When in doubt, I'd check other translated software. For example spellchecking software will have a different Spanish for every single country, but stuff like Google only has "español (España)‬" and "‪español (Latinoamérica)‬".

SupSuper,

Where can i find the english version, i got the game version but it just has all the "null" and in-line text that makes it crazy to read :)
https://raw.github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/master/bin/data/Language/English.lng

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 12:34:38 am by SupSuper »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2013, 01:49:10 am »
Btw I found some problems with text not fitting in the Battlescape. You should try to revise it more thoroughly next time.

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2013, 04:13:06 am »
well this are some of the issues i am running into.

Also about "disparo automatico", I believe a better alternative will be rafaga.

By the way alicantino, although Latin America has adjusted the language to fit their locality, we all can still understand, read, and write proper Spanish.  Colloquialism applies even within Spain, and with just about any language I know of.
The file I made is for Spanish from Spain and, as far as I'm concerned, it's well written. If you think that there's an errata call me (maybe) and I will take a look.  :P

And yes I do understand that when we do something we believe it to the best. But sometimes a second set of eyes present an unthinkable perspective.

Offline alicantino79

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2013, 02:15:26 pm »
First of all thank you for the checks Supsuper. Here is the latest update of the file with all corrections.
I don't have the time to play the game and check whether all translations fit, so I trust people that is playing the game (obv not enought spanish people is playing it...)
Xracer, instead of creating a new file you may play the game to find all errors and report them (well, in fact you can do both options ;)  ) .
Refering the "disparo automatico" issue: that translation is made that way because homogeneity. I think it's better all options to be called "disparo X" instead of assigning a different name to each.
As I said if you find any error tell me about it and I'll correct it, I'm not heaven's gift!!!   :P

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 07:33:30 pm »
Well, my plan was just to make amendments to the current version, but once i got started it mothballed into a lot of changes. Not due to translation in itself but to try and make it more cohesive, because even the original in english is not the greatest :) i even contemplated changing the original, but...

In any case i wanted to ask Spanish speaker this, right now we have '*** Pistol', '*** Rifle', and 'Heavy ***'

I am attempting to change "Heavy" we understand is a more powerful and heavier weapon in the particular technology, so i am asking what would be a better description or better name instead of "plasma pesado, laser pesado"

Pensaba en poner Laser de alta energia.

If anyone has a better idea or better phrase that will be nice.

Offline alicantino79

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2013, 08:50:33 pm »
Hi xracer!!
You won't be able to do that... The problem is that text MUST SUIT inside small space. Look at the last message of SupSuper: some of my strings did'nt fit.
If you write so long strings something similar to the case shown in the pictures will happen to you... That's ONE of the reasons to translate some things in some ways intead of anothers...

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2013, 09:24:05 pm »
hey alicantino, yes i know and that is the problem :)

i am trying to find a word that would be common enough to symbolize the idea. I am attaching my version of the translation it is not done, by any means but just in case i don't continue someone will fix it and move on.
EDIT: another option was to say "Laser avanzado"

there are quite a few things i would like to change, but yes we are limited. I will as Warboy to create another string though
the string STR_ITEM is used in several locations and not all of them fit the context. so i will ask him to add
STR_RESULTS or STR_MISSION_REPORT.

for now if anyone will like to look at this version here it is.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:36:59 pm by xracer »

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2013, 10:55:37 pm »
Maybe you should just go with "pesado/a". Check this example for a heavy machine gun:

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_M2

La M2 o ametralladora Browning calibre .50 es una ametralladora pesada diseñada a finales de la Primera Guerra Mundial por John Browning.

So why not just using "Laser Pesado" and "Plasma Pesado"?

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 08:27:28 pm »
Well i have left it as it is, but one day one day i will find a better word :)

in the mean time i am posting and updated version of my interpretation, still not complete but it should have a few improvements

also wanted to thanks SupSuper and Warboy for making changes as i requested.

IF someone could play the game and use this version and point out where it coudl be improved it will be greatly appreciated.

Maybe you should just go with "pesado/a". Check this example for a heavy machine gun:

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_M2

So why not just using "Laser Pesado" and "Plasma Pesado"?
If you look at the linking article you will see this "Las ametralladoras generalmente son pesadas, voluminosas y están montadas sobre un afuste." thus the pesado it is just used to describe it weight not the actual power level, as i think it is intended in X-COM.

that is why i am looking for a better word or description :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 08:39:40 pm by xracer »