aliens

Author Topic: Spanish Translation  (Read 31744 times)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Spanish Translation
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 12:46:34 am »
"Muton" is a name for the alien race, it may be that it was derived from mutant but it is not a bad translation.  The xcom soldiers/eggheads do not know the proper names the aliens themselfes use so they mostly use descriptive names.
Maybe it comes from mutton, tough (sacrifical,dumb) sheep. Like meatshields for the ethereal overlords.
Anyway do names get translated at all? I always find it stange if it is done.
Some names have direct translations (eg. floater, snakeman), others don't. Usually they are at least tweaked so they can be easily pronounced in the new language.

Offline alicantino79

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 05:02:44 am »
Hi!
I have used "Radar de largo alcance" y "Radar de corto alcance".  It's shorter than the previous translation in the file, please check wether it fits or not ( I know, I was wrong)
I changed the ciberdisc and sectopod AUTOPSY and CORPSE strings. I used "EXAMEN" y "RESTOS".
GEOSCAPE is a latin word, so GEOESCAPE it's a good translation. Remember that in the game you are in an UNDERGROND BASE.
I corrected the accents.
About the word "mutant": There are 2 type of names in the game; technical names (celatoid) and ilustrative names (snakeman). All of them with their respective translations ( CELATOIDE y HOMBRE SERPIENTE). There is no "joke" in any name. I think it's far more consistent to consider "muton" an ilustrative name, so translating it as "mutante" is the correct decission.
That's all.
Please, someone take a look to the file an its content and include it in the GITS and so on.
THX!

Offline roitedo

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 06:05:37 pm »
Translating names is difficult. Sometimes we use the dictionary and other times we try to imagine what name we'd use if we were creating the game from zero. Maybe names look a bit cooler in English. For example, "spiderman" and "hombre-araña", or "superman" and "super-hombre" (well, we have "superlópez").

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 01:05:10 am »
Some names have direct translations (eg. floater, snakeman), others don't. Usually they are at least tweaked so they can be easily pronounced in the new language.
Indeed. Tweaked is the correct word here. A fully translated name into Spanish not only looks weird but it also end up being really extensive.

I kinda think Mutante is not really a good translation because Mutons were engineered that way, and mutante/mutant indicates or makes mention more about accidental changes than genetical enhancement. Muton is not a word that exist or composed by words that can be translated like snakeman. It's just a name. It does not need translation IMO.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 07:56:24 am »
some probably should?
Sectoid or Muton for example, are not words but if they were they would be considered proper nouns, with no equivalent in any other language, and probably shouldn't get translated, whereas Ethereal is a real adjective that describes the alien race (not as such the name of the race themselves, but a term applied to them) or Cyber-Disc which is an adjective and a noun, or Snakeman (Portmanteau of nouns), which have equivalents in probably every language and as such probably SHOULD get translated, but then there's the whole problem with culebra being a feminine noun and... well, you know how that quagmire goes. basically i guess it comes down to personal preference, i'd say leave them in the original names (in the release version) and if a given player feels an alien name NEEDS translating... well, good thing OpenXcom is so modder friendly, and those .lng files are plain text, huh?

also: "super-hombre" sounds like a MUCH cooler super hero, when will HIS movie be coming out?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:58:51 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 10:24:04 pm »
Hello all,

Before i start i have not downloaded the translated doc, i am just going from the forum conversation.

I know i am late in this, I agree with nouns not being translated but i guess if you are in a spanish speaking society you are not going to start screaming "snakeman!" you will probably say "¡un hombre culebra!" or more likely "¡un mounstro!" :). About the idea culebra as a feminine noun... not so much.

In any case the reason for posting was for the phrase "click" to "haz click", personally i do not like that, i know is the common lingo but a 'more reasonable translation' would be  "presione | presiona" depending on the conjugation being used. 

anyway just my $0.02

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 06:23:39 am »
Snakeman: Hombre Vibora, Hombre Serpiente.
Culebrón! :D :D
In He-Man there is a guy that was translated "Viboro".
I see another already take care of spanish. Less work for me :p

Offline alicantino79

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 07:01:36 pm »
Hello everybody!
Here is the last version of the Spanish translations.
Please SupSuper or whoever, test it and tell me whether the strings fit or not. Some of them are a little too long.
I'm not sure about the meaning of the "HIT" string because of lack of context. Where is that string used?
C U!

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 08:55:46 pm »
"Hit" (STR_HIT_MELEE) is the action of hitting someone with a melee weapon. Example:

Offline alicantino79

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 09:22:40 pm »
Ok, so please change HIT="Impactar" with "Atacar" or "Atacar cuerpo a cuerpo". Tell about the rest of strings...

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 04:30:06 am »
you can use, "Atacar" or "Golpear" since it could be use to as a more general term.

Hit that wall = Golpea esa pared
Hit that person ~ Ataca esa person, but Ataca is more closely related to Attack.

Of course Atacar can also be use in other similar context.

Just my $0.02

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 04:38:36 am »
I ended up using "Atacar", everything seems to fit fine.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 11:22:17 am »
STR_HIT is also used in interceptions to indicate a weapon hit, hence why it is allcaps, we use it for melee actions as well due to lack of any other suitable string.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 06:07:41 pm »
No I added a new string for the melee attack. :P

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 07:40:53 pm »
in this case where it means a hit to a craft or ship, i think "Impacto" meaning the craft was hit.

for example if you say "direct hit" you would say "impacto directo"