Author Topic: [TC][OXCE][WIP] The Great War of the Worlds | v1.0 Mk. V Attrition  (Read 84487 times)

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [TC] [WIP] [OXCE] The Great War of the Worlds | v0.3 Mk I Released now!
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2019, 12:30:55 am »
Thank you very much !  :)

Offline SquirrelofNukes

• Sergeant
  • I am way to young to know about X-COM/UFO
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2019, 02:02:04 am »
Wow. I won't be able to play it sadly, I have no patience to install OXCE on Linux, but I will keep a close eye here. I've been wanting to see this story in a game form for a long time now.

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2019, 02:43:36 am »
Thank you very much !  :)

Thank you too! Please let us know any issue. :)
We have not removed the vanilla content yet. It is very likely that in the next major update we will do it. ;)

Wow. I won't be able to play it sadly, I have no patience to install OXCE on Linux, but I will keep a close eye here. I've been wanting to see this story in a game form for a long time now.

Oh, it's a shame. Is that difficult to install on Linux? You could play on Android! Is what I do!

I know, The War of the Worlds is such a nice inspiration for a mod. There was some similar suggestion a few years ago, but no one take it. So we take it and adapt it. I'm glad you liked our work! Don't hesitate to ask for suggestions, the 99% found it's way into the mod.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2019, 04:43:15 am »
Oh, it's a shame. Is that difficult to install on Linux?

Depends on the distribution you're using. Stoddard's build farm makes executables for Ubuntu that you install the exact same way Piratez and XCF are (extract and manually copy the original UFO/TFTD files). There are instructions available for getting the proper libraries too, so it's only really difficult if you need to compile from scratch.

At this point I'm running OXC/OXCE exclusively on linux - I had to make a virtual drive for creating a install instructions video for OXCE + the 40k mod.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 04:45:00 am by ohartenstein23 »

Offline SquirrelofNukes

• Sergeant
  • I am way to young to know about X-COM/UFO
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2019, 05:18:04 am »
Thank you too! Please let us know any issue. :)
We have not removed the vanilla content yet. It is very likely that in the next major update we will do it. ;)

Oh, it's a shame. Is that difficult to install on Linux? You could play on Android! Is what I do!

I know, The War of the Worlds is such a nice inspiration for a mod. There was some similar suggestion a few years ago, but no one take it. So we take it and adapt it. I'm glad you liked our work! Don't hesitate to ask for suggestions, the 99% found it's way into the mod.

It isn't difficult, more so tedious to find documentation, and I'm still new to many things about my distro (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS btw) so I'm just slightly confused and impatient. As for suggestions, I'm not super sure, but maybe make some specialized UFO missions that are redone so they are anti-tripod missions. For example, say the tripods can walk on water, and reprogram a few stats in the UFO detected screen so it looks like so. instead of UFO detected it could say Tripod Sighted. It'd be difficult, but the immersion would be amazing. An even more ambitious idea is to have a map that is an airship crash, which would be a special terror mission, and the briefing could explain a recent attack has taken down a civilian or military airship and that all martian forces around it need to be cleared in order to evacuate. I could go further but I don't wanna drown the thread in a giant paragraph...well bigger than this.

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2019, 07:33:37 am »

Depends on the distribution you're using. Stoddard's build farm makes executables for Ubuntu that you install the exact same way Piratez and XCF are (extract and manually copy the original UFO/TFTD files). There are instructions available for getting the proper libraries too, so it's only really difficult if you need to compile from scratch.

At this point I'm running OXC/OXCE exclusively on linux - I had to make a virtual drive for creating a install instructions video for OXCE + the 40k mod.

Hey, it sounds like a plan!
@SquirrelofNukes you could ask Ohartenstein23 for help.

BTW, so many thanks for the crewable turrets, Otto. A lot of our alpha testers liked them!

Any ETA on artillery strikes?

It isn't difficult, more so tedious to find documentation, and I'm still new to many things about my distro (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS btw) so I'm just slightly confused and impatient. As for suggestions, I'm not super sure, but maybe make some specialized UFO missions that are redone so they are anti-tripod missions.

Actually, I'm working on the campaign missions. I'm still kinda noob at mission creation, but they will be great.

Luke83, the map master of our team, has created some Martian bases that you must assault to push back the invaders.

For example, say the tripods can walk on water, and reprogram a few stats in the UFO detected screen so it looks like so. instead of UFO detected it could say Tripod Sighted. It'd be difficult, but the immersion would be amazing.

I think this could be easy. Just looking for the right string and then rename it. I'll search tomorrow. ;)

An even more ambitious idea is to have a map that is an airship crash, which would be a special terror mission, and the briefing could explain a recent attack has taken down a civilian or military airship and that all martian forces around it need to be cleared in order to evacuate. I could go further but I don't wanna drown the thread in a giant paragraph...well bigger than this.

Oh, please continue. Many great ideas come from our players!

Now, talking about the airship map... Well, the mission could be easy, but I have to ask Luke83 if he could made some kind of zeppelin map. ???

Enviado desde mi LG-M400 mediante Tapatalk

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2019, 09:55:50 am »

Now, talking about the airship map... Well, the mission could be easy, but I have to ask Luke83 if he could made some kind of zeppelin map. ???

Maybe, after i finish my current project i will attempt to draw something, i am no artist but with i am sure i can come up with something  :P Plus i had my own ideas for something similar to zeppelins for Factions so maybe 2 birds one stone.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2019, 02:20:17 pm »
BTW, so many thanks for the crewable turrets, Otto. A lot of our alpha testers liked them!

Any ETA on artillery strikes?

I'm glad players are enjoying the crew-served weapons! I'm planning on making a few improvements to the script and ruleset since there were some TU recovery changes in OXCE.

The artillery strikes code needs to be cleaned up in light of more OXCE changes, but that's on hold right now for other code refactors and work that needed to happen on the 40k mod. I might have some time to look at it later this month, but no guarantee.

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2019, 05:21:16 pm »

Maybe, after i finish my current project i will attempt to draw something, i am no artist but with i am sure i can come up with something  Plus i had my own ideas for something similar to zeppelins for Factions so maybe 2 birds one stone.

Nice! We could even reemplace the R-Class Airship mapblock.

Yeah, I want a Zeppelin in OXC Factions too. 7u7

I'm glad players are enjoying the crew-served weapons! I'm planning on making a few improvements to the script and ruleset since there were some TU recovery changes in OXCE.

Cool beans! I have planned to add more turrets. Definitely some artillery batteries and even more MGs.

Question: does the turrets allow confSnap, confAimed, etc? I want to have some fixed gun with two ammo types at the same time.

The artillery strikes code needs to be cleaned up in light of more OXCE changes, but that's on hold right now for other code refactors and work that needed to happen on the 40k mod. I might have some time to look at it later this month, but no guarantee.

OH! I'm crossing my fingers. As soon as you publish the code I'm going to implement it. 7u7

After all, what Great War could be without trenches, gasmasks and artillery barrages?

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2019, 09:21:08 am »
A sneak peak at a new UFO type to be used in The Great War of the Worlds ( and also in factions)

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:29:52 am by luke83 »

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [TC] [WIP] [OXCE] The Great War of the Worlds | v0.4 Mk I Released now!
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2019, 06:01:00 pm »
Hello there!

A new update of The Great War of the Worlds is ready

Download v0.4 Mk I now!

WHAT'S NEW IN THIS UPDATE?
*This is a minor update.
*We have added 6 autoShots and 2 sprayWaypoints to Lewis MG Turret. Lewis Drum now has 48 rounds, this means that you could shoot 8 full auto volleys, aprox.
*Blackstaff kindly help us with the French translation and I made the Spanish translation. Is still WIP, further translations will be added in the next updates.
*Fixed map issues in No Man's Land and Martian Tripods by Luke83. The wrong tiles were fixed and many were improved.
*Fixed issue that made impossible to use QF 1-Pdr Pom Pom rounds. (Was STR_QF_1_PDR_POMPOM_30, the correct is STR_QF_1_PDR_POMPOM_X30)
*Fixed Line Infantry bugs, found by Luke83. Removed unnecessary resources.
*Many Strings were modified to better reflect the lore of the mod, suggested by

Instead of UFO detected it could say Tripod Sighted. It'd be difficult, but the immersion would be amazing.

In the screenshots below, taken with a LG Stylus 3 using OXCE v5.5, you can see the translated texts in French and Spanish and the new "Tripod Sighted" texts. Yeah, the Conqueror blew out the Martian Flying Machine. ;)

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 05:53:39 pm by efrenespartano »

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [TC] [OXCE] [WIP] The Great War of the Worlds | v0.4 Mk I Released now!
« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2019, 11:41:31 am »
Hello there!

Time for a Faction showcase! Welcome the French Army!

The French soldiers are equipped with the old and reliable Lebel M1886, which includes a bayonet for close combat.  To provide firepower on the march, they use Chauchat light machine guns. They don't have a good reputation, but they serve a purpose.

In Tier 2, you have a precise semi-automatic rifle, the RSC M17. Also, a hybrid between a submachine gun, a carbine and automatic rifle, the Ribeyrolles. It uses a bipod to increase fire precision and a bayonet for melee combat. It's an Swiss Army knife!

As many of you already know, yesterday Sabaton (the swedish power metal band) released a new album: The Great War!

It's an excellent album, I highly recommend it. And on the occasion of the release of this album, in this days we will be releasing a new version of TGWotW, including of course, the French, as well as new weapons, planes, missions and the powerful new UFOs that Luke83 presented previously.

Stay tuned for further news. Don't forget to join us at the I.D.T. Discord server!
https://discord.gg/DaQREsP
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 05:53:01 pm by efrenespartano »

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2019, 04:43:59 pm »
Very nice ! Bravo !

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2019, 03:15:50 am »
Work on the new update has resumed. University makes free time as valuable as gold. An interesting feature are the new Frontlines missions, *almost* historical recreations of famous battles of the Great War.

On this time, one of the constant assaults on the village of Fleury-devant-Douaumont, in the middle of the Battle of Verdun. This town was disputed by French and Germans more than 16 times!

The mission puts you in command of German soldiers, confronting French defensive forces. There is support from some allied NPCs who will help you on the conquest of Fleury.

There is, also a French mission located on Fort Vaux, during the initial German attack on the Battle of Verdun. You have to hold your position for 10 turns on the trenches and bunkers ahead of Fort Vaux. Here, the NPCs are French and the enemy is the German Army.

Also, new "Hidden Movement" screens are available!

Special thanks to BlackStaff for his help with the history background of this missions!

If you want to try this pre-update, and many other stuff before everyone else, join us at the IDT Server on Discord!

https://discord.gg/DaQREsP

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 05:52:28 pm by efrenespartano »

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2019, 01:28:13 am »
Wait so you added WW1 battle against other humans, but why? Surely the alien threat is more serious, or will you make a lore reason for the War?

Also have you seen the great war of the worlds mockumentary? I can link one in English if you want, it would be really good inspiration, for example the Martain metal and dark matter guns as described during the war in the mockumentary.