aliens

Author Topic: Stuff I'd love to see in XPiratez!  (Read 304932 times)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff I'd love to see in XPiratez!
« Reply #525 on: February 13, 2020, 07:18:32 am »
The issue i see with forceing Aux units is when you go to missions with environmental limiters like space or underwater, and assorted infiltrations. Most aux units can't go to those maps forceing you to play down about between 1/4 to 1/6th of your otherwise normal capacity. A large balance pass would be needed to bring those fights back into line.

Second is a technical issue, due to the way the engine works you cant stop the player from bringing the "illegal" units. They get spawned in as a immobile unit that knocks itself out at the end of the turn. The problem is that if the environment is hostile like underwater, those units will die very rapidly if left alone.

We have lots of craft that are multi environment, but the units they can carry are not. Forget to remove them before launch, oops sucks to be you. 

Offline Khazaar

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 14, 2020, 02:54:16 pm »
I think I went on an underwater mission w a Werewolf and it just didn´t spawn, I just had my gals and I´m ok with that. It would be nice if the Aux slots were seperate from crew so you wouldn´t feel that you lost something.

Another idea was to have Landingcraft w guns be able to "prep the LZ" for one unit of Ammo (eg. 50 shots or one rocket etc.) creating a damaged version of the battlemap w fire, smoke and a random chance of injured, downed or killed opponents. Depending on the difficulty of the script to do that the damage should be focused around the LZ  or just be random. I usually avoid attacking anything flying with my trooptransports even if they have guns just to avoid damage/repairs or even loosing the squad. This way the weapons could be useful for something. Maybe the script that pops up when one of your bases gets attacked could be used there, so you´d have the choice to use it or not...

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 14, 2020, 03:46:46 pm »
As a safety measure to keep auxilia from dying, can't auxilia be turned into another unit type that can survive every hazardous environment? Kinda like gals with no spacesuits being turned into pods or boxes in missions gals can't go into.

It would be good to see auxilia getting upgrades like dogs got, though. Maybe getting the same treatment dogs got with named dogs and such.

It'd be cool if we could do something with beastmen megapol captives. You can turn wolfmen into slaves, and then into slave soldiers, but they just turn into humans. I'm not much of a furry person (brrrr), but it'd be cool if we could turn them into werewolves through the workshop after you research the necessary stuff, maybe combat drugs and zombie juice.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:49:42 pm by Dakkdakk »

Offline Rubber Cannonball

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 14, 2020, 08:35:37 pm »
It'd be cool if we could do something with beastmen megapol captives. You can turn wolfmen into slaves, and then into slave soldiers, but they just turn into humans. I'm not much of a furry person (brrrr), but it'd be cool if we could turn them into werewolves through the workshop after you research the necessary stuff, maybe combat drugs and zombie juice.

It seems to me you should just have your tame werewolf bite whatever humanoid you want to turn into a werewolf.  I'm pretty sure you would have to tame each new werewolf.  Isn't that how it worked in all those stories...  :P

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 14, 2020, 08:54:47 pm »
I don't think piratez's werewolves work that way, I think so, at least. I always thought they were just feral beastmen.

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 14, 2020, 09:13:02 pm »
I'd love to see te ability to make a combination of werewolf in wolfman armor (or parts of one). Even with their innate regeneration and large healthpool, werewolves are a bit too squishy for my tastes. Strapping at least some armor to one should not be that hard.

Generally the beast auxilia are a bit lackluster, offensively speaking. I only use them in instances where I simply do not have anyone else to put onto my transport, and even then I hardly use them. I never ever got around to use tamed reapers - too much space wasted. By the time I have the space to spare (thunderhorse for example) there are much better options for 2x2 units (tanks).

Beast auxilia shine in base defense though - there is no limit (other than spawn points) for units, so you can bring enough beasts to the fight to actually make a difference. Can save your backside in a tough assault, but are pretty costly to replace with the sectoweed requirement added.

So we have a balance issue - making auxilia worth it on the offence will make them overpowered on the defense. Buffing armor might be some solution since for most base assaults you're dealing with plasma weaponry that makes any early and mid armor pointless. While on offence, where you choose your battles (and to a degree the weaponry of the enemy) having increased armor would increase their survivalability. For werewolves I'm thinking lightly armored version in the 20-25 range around the time of chainmail research and another version at 40 armor around heavy suit. HP would need a bit of debuff to not make it OP though.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 14, 2020, 09:30:38 pm »
While I wouldn't mind some armor on my werewolves I think they are in a pretty good place. Just hide them in a corner when they are wounded. Shotguns and autofire can make short work of them, but that is to be expected.

Regular reapers are pretty bad though. 2x2 makes them easy to hit and they are not that tough. Even on base defence mine usually just stay where they are. On the plus side they are very cuddly.

Mutated reapers are decent. Still not great, but they are cute animals that can spit acid and are reasonably tough.

The Booze-O-Saurus is great if you have the space. X-Grog got nerfed a bit with the freshness system, but on a hot mission or when the Iridians used the mission area as testing ground for chemical weapons it has all the grog needed to keep everyone up and running.

Dogs are too squishy to waste space on a transport on them unless everyone else is in the sickbay, and they run out of energy quickly. Blood Hounds are a bit better, but still nothing I would carry if I have a choice. Haven't tried the named ones yet.

Never used cats, parrots are great scouts and the robo parrot is even better. 30 armor and good night vision, it is basically your very own academy drone, but with a cooler casemod. I got one in January from an event in a new game and I take it on almost every mission

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 14, 2020, 10:06:56 pm »
I'd love to see te ability to make a combination of werewolf in wolfman armor (or parts of one). Even with their innate regeneration and large healthpool, werewolves are a bit too squishy for my tastes. Strapping at least some armor to one should not be that hard.

Well the problem is werewolves usually bust out of everything when the transform into their were form.  And then they usually are not calm enough to be able to dress them into something that fits their were form.

While I wouldn't mind some armor on my werewolves I think they are in a pretty good place. Just hide them in a corner when they are wounded. Shotguns and autofire can make short work of them, but that is to be expected.

Whatever happened to needing silver to take them out?

:P  Sorry just couldn't resist.

Offline Torchwood

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 01, 2020, 10:11:27 pm »
Large auxiliaries are very cuddly but don't do well in the cramped accomodations of a transport. They do much better at occupying a beast den where they can spend all day roaming around defending the base for table scraps.

Whatever happened to needing silver to take them out?

Offline spazeroid

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 02, 2020, 01:45:42 am »
Three things I'd like to see in x-piratez, assuming they don't break too much stuff.

1. A mid-late game tech that lets you buy a super expensive accessory you can carry into battle that gives a sense 1-2.
My preferred strategy for mansion missions used to be to rush "ye old magic store" so I could give my gals acolyte robes and use the sense 3 stat to make it go faster. Now that takes weirdgals which I'm a bit more hesitant on.
I get that aye-phones exist but the real use for sense was telling you if you missed a unit above or below you.

2. A condemnation for a each mission a gal gets mind controlled. It doesn't need to give stats or anything, it's mostly a way to remind forgetful commanders which unit got mind controlled so they can switched to base defense duty.

3. The ability to set the scroll wheel to increase by increments of five as opposed to 10. This would mean I'd have to scroll a bit more but it would be a lot more granular.

Offline Torchwood

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 02, 2020, 03:35:41 am »
Three things I'd like to see in x-piratez, assuming they don't break too much stuff.

1. A mid-late game tech that lets you buy a super expensive accessory you can carry into battle that gives a sense 1-2.
My preferred strategy for mansion missions used to be to rush "ye old magic store" so I could give my gals acolyte robes and use the sense 3 stat to make it go faster. Now that takes weirdgals which I'm a bit more hesitant on.
I get that aye-phones exist but the real use for sense was telling you if you missed a unit above or below you.

2. A condemnation for a each mission a gal gets mind controlled. It doesn't need to give stats or anything, it's mostly a way to remind forgetful commanders which unit got mind controlled so they can switched to base defense duty.

3. The ability to set the scroll wheel to increase by increments of five as opposed to 10. This would mean I'd have to scroll a bit more but it would be a lot more granular.

With regards to the MC problem I highly recommend you use the XPiratez statstrings submod. That way you can always see a hand's voodoo power and even designate a voodoo-weak 'lightning rod' or two.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 02, 2020, 06:43:44 am »
I'd have to check, but you should be able to change how powerful the scroll wheel is.  That's not determined by the mod.

Offline WaldoTheRanger

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 02, 2020, 06:59:51 am »
you can, but the smallest increment is ten.
but yeah it's still not the mod
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:09:54 am by WaldoTheRanger »

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 04, 2020, 05:17:30 am »
Thanks Torchwood for that hilarious Robot Chicken clip.  I can sympathize with that poor kid in the Robin Hood hat as his D&D game is derailed by the other player's "what if" argument with the DM.

xcomfan

« Reply #539 on: April 05, 2020, 11:00:28 pm »
I was thinking for humanists, some nazi ufos, maybe better check googlr for some ideas? Some hints here.