aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1060675 times)

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #765 on: January 09, 2018, 09:59:04 am »
I see. Thanks for the info! It seems I better start writing down all of the info so far for this game, since there are tons of tips.  :)

Also, for cheap ships, which one would be arguably better: The Skyranger or the Pigeon?
What is your recommendation for cheap fighters then? I think the Hunter-Killer that can be cobbled together is the earliest example to replace my Aircar, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, any tips for playing monster-hunt missions besides carrying jetpacks for everyone?

Skyranger and Pigeon are too slow and very unfriendly for deployment. Just like the vanilla skyranger you only have this open ramp and no other way to get out of your flying coffin.
Pigeon might have more doors but it's still a very slow craft and missions might just vanish before you can reach those.
I recommend you to not sell your Airbus. You will need it for the x-prison mission. Alternative is the airvan but this one can only hold 5 hands.

The hunter-killer is great for the early air-game and can hold 2x light-weapons (e.g. 10mm cannons) and 2x missles (e.g. seagull missles).
You have to fuel it with Hellerium and early on craft ammo is very scarce. I recommend to aim for reticulians and get a 'plasma charger parts' Once you have enough pieces you can craft a light weapon with 'unlimited' ammo, decent damage and mediocre aim. Don't fight reticulian during the night. (Reticulians are the vanilla Sextoids)

A grav pack is incredible broken on monster hunts since you can dodge all melee-attacks and shot from above. Without grav. packs you need a ship with more than one floor. This way you can shot from the roof and pump intruders full with leed (shotguns do wonder against monsters). If you play on the highest difficult, you've to kill up to 50! enemies. Bring enough ammo.

Offline Ragshak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 09, 2018, 01:52:05 pm »
A grav pack is incredible broken on monster hunts since you can dodge all melee-attacks and shot from above. Without grav. packs you need a ship with more than one floor. This way you can shot from the roof and pump intruders full with leed (shotguns do wonder against monsters). If you play on the highest difficult, you've to kill up to 50! enemies. Bring enough ammo.

The problem is that in current state of the game there is no other way to survive early hunt missions without flying. Even chainmails from Red Codex doesn't give enough protection. Maybe monsters should have some sort of leap/range attack but alongside their melee power should be toned down.

For now if I don't have flying armors I dont even bother with hunt missions. Part of it goes also for Blood Rituals, but with some planning early Spear weapon is enough to handle werewolfs.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 09, 2018, 02:04:59 pm »
Melee is one of the most reliable and powerful source of damage in the game. A werewolf can even hurt/kill a hand in advanced armor. You have to avoid melee brawls with any kind of opposition. You don't get any reaction-shots against a melee-attack (even witch a melee-weapon equipped) and the opposition will blow all of his TU's until they kill your soldier or run out of TU's and you can't do anything about this other than having luck with low damage rolls or a miss/dodge.

Take the shadow-bat for example:
You have 2 ladders on this craft to climb onto the wings. Those wings offer a perfect platform to shoot monsters.
The craft can only be entered by the stairs in the middle of the craft. You can simply line up 2-3 of your soldiers with shotguns around the top of the stairs and let them take reaction-shots onto any opposition storming the craft.
The shadowbat offers 9 hands to operate the craft so you have at least 6 soldiers firing from the wings onto all those free kills.

The "snake" is also a possible solution until you can build the fortuna but the snake as only 6 soldier slots. BUT! You can block the entrance to the 2nd floor by positioning a hand right on top of the lift. This denies all melee-opposition to ascend upwards thus saving your life. 5 Hands on the roof can shot at a near 360° angle onto everything approaching you.

The jellyfish can only be entered by the four elevators. You can body-block all lifts and just descend and shot around during your turn and ascend quickly back into the craft before ending the turn. The jellyfish has 7 soldier slots but 1 Hand is hooked into the 'arcane gun turret' for the whole fight and 2 out of 7 hands have to swap places with those blocking the lifts or remain idle.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:10:51 pm by Ethereal_Medic »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #768 on: January 09, 2018, 03:36:16 pm »
Also: I never pass a blood ritual.  They have a loot pool that is drooliscious and you always end up with something good. 
Early on: Fire and Shotguns do wonders on the beasts!

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 09, 2018, 03:40:54 pm »
Also: I never pass a blood ritual.  They have a loot pool that is drooliscious and you always end up with something good. 
Early on: Fire and Shotguns do wonders on the beasts!

Don't forget that we can finally tame werewolves to fight for our course now.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #770 on: January 09, 2018, 04:24:29 pm »
Yeah, I love those beasties.  Great melee.  Decent health pool.  Regens hitpoints.  I often use them to lock down an enemy craft's door while the rest of the assaults get in place. :)

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 09, 2018, 04:57:12 pm »
Werewolves also excel at night thanks to their night vision and camo, and they also have spotting ability so you can see those camo'd and invisible enemies better.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 09, 2018, 05:48:25 pm »
Sadly I updated post butchering so I can't have 6 werewolves now :(

Offline VandalVahn

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 09, 2018, 10:49:25 pm »
Ohhhhh, the mess hall requires a still on base does it? That explains it, i looked at building description and yeah thats what it says (face palm). Dang, guess those buildings aren't going anywhere. Thanks for letting me know guys. Another question, I'm confused on how to unlock the Mutant Alliance tech, i have 3,175 tokens up now but all i get in the trophies section are weapons and mutant martial arts. Do I need to hit a hard limit before mutant alliance is available, and the same with bank favors and authorized dealers?

Offline VandalVahn

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 09, 2018, 10:58:52 pm »
And I guess, are Reticulans common at all at say Jul 26 2602? Ive caught one landed Rec ship and loved the tech I got from it but i need another for rec plasma weapons, and generally the Rec tech tree.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: January 09, 2018, 11:28:47 pm »
If one reticulian ship is flying around and trading there WILL be more to fly around.
The final tech for reticulians is the imperial probe mission "Reticulian Bunker" for the chance to capture an elder and some more mechtoids.

The mess hall needs a still. That's why your starting hideout has a neat advantage with a still up and running from day 1.
I recommend to look into the bootypedia (ingame) and check the customer for the mutant alliance.

Around the prices you can see something like A1 A2 A3 A4 and so on.
You have to optain Price A1 to get Price A2.
This is true for every customer. You can't skip prices and there's no other technological bottle-neck to unlock prices other than upgraiding the license.
Just pay your tokens wisely to get the tech you want.

Offline VandalVahn

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: January 10, 2018, 12:52:40 am »
So, would I have to purchase with tokens every prize thats available to me before the other stuff becomes available, or is it just a matter of running enough missions for a certain customer? Still a bit unclear about that.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 10, 2018, 01:25:07 am »
potential bounty prizes can be chained in a series: A1>A2>A3, B1>B2>B3, ect. You must buy and research each step in the chain in order. Letter refers to the bounty hunter level that is a prerequisite for a given prize.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 10, 2018, 01:27:31 am »
In short, get Mutant Martial Arts so you can then get Alliance Favors to unlock the Mutant Alliance tech.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #779 on: January 10, 2018, 03:51:35 pm »
Skyranger and Pigeon are too slow and very unfriendly for deployment. Just like the vanilla skyranger you only have this open ramp and no other way to get out of your flying coffin.
Pigeon might have more doors but it's still a very slow craft and missions might just vanish before you can reach those.
I recommend you to not sell your Airbus. You will need it for the x-prison mission. Alternative is the airvan but this one can only hold 5 hands.

All true except for one thing: in Piratez, missions do not disappear when targeted by a craft (same as vanilla). Except landed craft, of course.

Still, I don't use these planes anyway.