Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033577 times)

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3330 on: February 03, 2022, 03:49:45 am »
In L series I would've said choose anything except jack sparrow your first game.  But ninjas very suddenly become a big thing midgame in M series.  If it's your first time I would start on john silver.

As a comparison, Blackbeard is around the same difficulty currently as jack sparrow in L9 and earlier.

Captain kidd is a tutorial, has missing features.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 03:55:43 am by Greep »

Offline Rallehop

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: February 03, 2022, 02:38:28 pm »
How to get a craft weapon by march / start of april? I'm on difficulty 2 and theres shit flying everywhere which im not used to. But i can't seem to find even a 14mm Chaingun anywhere to fight with. Any pointers for dealing with air this early on ?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3332 on: February 03, 2022, 03:05:41 pm »
How to get a craft weapon by march / start of april? I'm on difficulty 2 and theres shit flying everywhere which im not used to. But i can't seem to find even a 14mm Chaingun anywhere to fight with. Any pointers for dealing with air this early on ?

Little Bird is the kinda edgy, but fully workable option. As far as I can say, it was added exactly for that purpose.
If you don't want to go down that path, there isn't any obvious alternative, just ignore the air traffic for a while and hope to get the right research topics.

Offline Requiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: February 03, 2022, 03:14:04 pm »
Rallehop,
Not sure if that not trolling. There is a research topic litterally called "We Need Craft Weapons" wich will give you first 14mm for free, further research will open manufacturing and finally contacts to just buy 25mm.
--
Wich a requierments for Captain's Log #2 event? 3rd year still no event for diplomacy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 03:22:53 pm by Requiem »

Offline Rallehop

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: February 03, 2022, 04:24:24 pm »
Little Bird is the kinda edgy, but fully workable option. As far as I can say, it was added exactly for that purpose.
If you don't want to go down that path, there isn't any obvious alternative, just ignore the air traffic for a while and hope to get the right research topics.

I suppose its worth a try, that or the Iron Tribe Necrofighter. My problem with ignoring air traffic is that i typically see giant spikes as early as feb but mostly in march that makes my score go negative, damaging my economy pretty substantially.

Rallehop,
Not sure if that not trolling. There is a research topic litterally called "We Need Craft Weapons" wich will give you first 14mm for free, further research will open manufacturing and finally contacts to just buy 25mm.
--
Wich a requierments for Captain's Log #2 event? 3rd year still no event for diplomacy.

Not trolling. The We Need Craft Weapons research only gives me an ammo box, not a weapon. I know how to get weapons down the line, my trouble is the fact that i feel like i need to have a workable air defense solution as early as March in order to not have my score obliterated by the hordes of Thunderbolt planes flying around.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3335 on: February 03, 2022, 04:29:43 pm »
You can also just let the air traffic go in April.  I skip Little Birds and Necrofighters completely.
Didn't get an airgame until June/July with an Aircar, and now in August and doing fine with my ShadowCraft.

Offline Requiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: February 03, 2022, 04:40:35 pm »
Rallehop,
Sorry then, some questions seems obvious to me.
Contacts with Krazy Hanna or little bird construction are not too deep in research tree as i remember.
If you manage to shoot down one necroplane and unlock necroplane parts recycling then you will swim in 14mm chainguns.
Other sources are codex weapons, also there can be missions with bandits who have 25mm cannon but these are rng.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 04:48:01 pm by Requiem »

Offline Ultimoos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: February 03, 2022, 06:41:34 pm »
Rallehop,
Sorry then, some questions seems obvious to me.
Contacts with Krazy Hanna or little bird construction are not too deep in research tree as i remember.
If you manage to shoot down one necroplane and unlock necroplane parts recycling then you will swim in 14mm chainguns.
Other sources are codex weapons, also there can be missions with bandits who have 25mm cannon but these are rng.

Contact Crazy Hanna is posible only if you find Light Machine gun. So not only you need to get a prepper mission but also hope for that gun to spawn, it happens most of the time tho.
There is also that Highway house mission for 25mm cannon which can easily go very bad.
You are more likely to get a smal craft to land nearby and get your first 25mm cannon from it.
Shadow master crafts are tricky to get because of heavy RNG dependence.

So, in short. Little bird is the only quick way and can be done early February. After that you are RNG dependent and you may be stuck to the ground for a couple of monts.

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: February 03, 2022, 11:40:31 pm »
Most of the score loss is from ninjas, although yeah being able to shoot down the bandits is very handy.  I initially thought score loss was unmanageable when first starting the ninja update, but the dips in score are mostly temporary:  every time ninjas make a base you get a massive infamy hit, but not much on the off months.

So yeah, being able to shoot things down is very nice but not critical.  Unlocking missions is still the best way to increase infamy.

That said, here's actually a lot of way to get cheap ammo weapons, heres some more ways not mentioned:
-Do every underwater mission you can (aside from jellyfish and sharks).  If you get 2 sonic oscillator parts then you can make yourself a nice cannon-tier weapon
-Grey codex starts with a few shots of phantom bolts, which you can use to shoot down a wasp or megapol car with an airspeeder.  These always have 25mm cannons as loot iirc.
-Red codex starts with lil-ilya.  Although it's not cost effective to shoot down thunderbolts  and civilians with spike rockets really.  It's a little dicey shooting down a wasp/megapol in an aircar with lil ilya, but it... should be doable?
-Jack's 30mm cannons prize gives you cannons
-Light craft weapons allows you to make them from scrap, although you should probably be rolling in 30mm/50mm parts (crafted with the very simple craft weapons assembly) by then so it's mostly redundant these days.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 01:57:19 am by Greep »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: February 04, 2022, 12:56:14 am »
Snip
P. S. Also, Yankes scripts related: would Ushanka's or other items that give you resists work if you hold it in hand slot in X-Piratez? I tried reading the script and couldnt find if there is any sort of slot-exclusiveness (other than general limitation that it is only allowed for hands+hat).
The effect works in any slot it's allowed in. Thou most such items limited to one instance. No triple wielding hats.

Offline WrenchInThePlan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: February 04, 2022, 06:30:54 am »
I'm definitely doing something wrong with my current campaign, but I'm not sure what. My Infamy in the past three months has consistently fallen sharply(down to "Big Joke" levels). I'm not really that good at battles so far, occasionally losing a gal (and sometimes I feel like I straight-up bring the wrong kit for the job, like pistols to a map that turns out to be wide open), and I haven't had much luck with the airgame so far (so far I can't buy or make a single craft weapon).

Any way for me, early on in the game, to intercept or at least disrupt air activity without depending on (I think) luck to have craft land within my hideout's radar range?

And what things should I be doing in the early game in general? Even telling me the very obvious might be helpful (again, I'm clearly doing something wrong, but I don't know what).

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: February 04, 2022, 06:36:17 am »
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=7877.0

This is super old, and has some outdated advice regarding selling buildings, but it's decent.  Someday when I'm not feeling lazy I'll make a new one.

Offline Requiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: February 04, 2022, 08:25:06 am »
Still in question.

WrenchInThePlan,
In general.. Well, in my opinion in the first year all you need to do is unlock all possible !missions! and contacts, also you want to unlock rpg, maybe warrior armor or even chain mail. And thats it. First year is relativly calm. As Greep said, all score jumps around april mostly are coused by ninjas and factions building their outposts. Shooting down flying stuff early doesnt change this too much.
After this it is a rush for tanks. Not sure wich nerfs were for them, but game is still dividing on before tanks unlock and after.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 08:46:00 am by Requiem »

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: February 04, 2022, 08:34:16 am »

STR_CAPTAINS_LOG_01: true
       STR_PERSUASION: true
       STR_SAT_NETWORK: true
       STR_PIRATEZ_HIERARCHY: true
       STR_CHRONICLES_001: true
       STR_NO_CIVILIAN_TRAFFIC: true
       STR_CONTACT_SMUGGLERS: true
       STR_BIKINI_PRODUCTION: true
       STR_MEIDO_OUTFIT: true
       STR_ONSEN: true
       STR_PLOTTING: true

Captains log 1
persuasion
earth's sattelite network
the social heirarchy
pirate traditions
*no targetting civilians*
contact smugglers
bikini production
maid outfit
onsen
plotting

Offline Requiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: February 04, 2022, 08:42:47 am »
Thank you, i miss *no targetting civilians* i guess . Thought maybe there will be some limo with mages or something like that.