Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1024306 times)

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3315 on: January 25, 2022, 05:59:35 pm »
Nope.

In all seriousness, here's some things that can help:

-2x2 units are immune, so feel free to use whatever explosives you want on these
-High voodoo power helps
-Bravery helps, although high bravery mostly won't hard counter anything more powerful than an academy esper
-Some armors have really high vdef (voodoo defense) e.g. annihiliator, purgatoria, sorceress, syn armor, etc   You'll have to check this on the pedia yourself, but generally a vdef of 140 is pretty darned good.
-Last resort, psi decoys and kill em first.  Psions can and will mind control a parrot.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 06:18:54 pm by Greep »

Offline Ruberto

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: February 01, 2022, 08:55:26 am »
Another thing:
If during alien attack on my hideout, hangar is damaged (much explosives, nukes), (after I win the fight) will craft assigned to that hangar be destroyed, or forced to relocate to another hideout (and what happens if there are no free hangars in other hideouts)?
I have to decide whenever I should continue the fight or load pre-assault save, as I could not bear to loose the codex craft assigned to that hangar, and the fight will take some few hours IRL  to conclude (time which i don't want to waste if i have to load to save said craft anyway).

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: February 01, 2022, 09:07:25 am »
Every time a missile has hit a hangar, my craft has been destroyed in previous versions, craft armaments included.  I don't think the ruined hangar change would change this since it's hangar capacity is 0.  I actually always sell the codex hull in jack sparrow because of the missiles because of this, it's pretty annoying.

That said, facilities seem to be able to survive a lot of damage in base defense, to the point that I'm not even sure the vanilla mechanic even works in x-piratez or was removed or something.  I remember my base being blasted to hell with blaster launchers and plasma and not seeing anything destroyed.  People use barrel bombs all the time, and the main concern is usually whether or not it blows up inventory.

Edit:

Assuming oxce inherited vanilla mechanics, I found this on ufopaedia:

"
Doing too much damage to a room can also collapse it, and you will lose that room permanently. Any rooms that can only be accessed by going through the collapsed room will also be lost. Spawn-point rooms such as Living Quarters, Stores, Access Lift, and Hangars (plus the Alien Containment chamber) can't be collapsed."

Given gals seem to spawn darn near everywhere, I'm curious what facilities actually aren't safe if this is true.

Actually, maybe this is why I've never seen it happen, from ufopaedia:

"Fortunately, these tiles only exist on the upper floors of your base, and the aliens make no attempt to target them once they encounter your troops (... if they don't encounter your troops, they'll spend the first few dozen turns beelining these tiles - and if they're allowed to reach one under the CE version of the game, when they fire it'll crash). While explosions on the lower floors may damage the upper flooring, they leave the furnishings unscathed - even if the floor gives way completely, they'll still hang safely in midair. Presumably the builders had the foresight to attach them to the ceiling with wires."
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 10:00:40 am by Greep »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: February 01, 2022, 06:50:32 pm »
XPZ does use the feature, and everything but the lift is destructible in combat, thou most facilities are pretty resilient unless your using really wide area explosives. Some facilities even helpfully highlight the tiles that count towards destruction like the hanger with red lights on the floor of the target tiles. iirc greater then half of the target tiles need to be destroyed for the facility to count as broken. So for a hanger 3/4.

Offline Rallehop

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: February 01, 2022, 10:48:56 pm »
Don't know if this is a dumb question, but is there any functional difference between Hands (Bought) vs Escaped lunatics (or any other type of gal) other than their initial stats ?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3320 on: February 01, 2022, 11:02:25 pm »
Don't know if this is a dumb question, but is there any functional difference between Hands (Bought) vs Escaped lunatics (or any other type of gal) other than their initial stats ?

There's at least one mission where you can only send escaped lunatics, and not just any hands. There could be more, but I can't recall.

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: February 01, 2022, 11:04:00 pm »
The two gal variants have slightly different salaries, initial stats, maximum stat caps. Hands are also disqualified from attending a couple of story centric missions concerning the escaped lunatics.

Offline Rallehop

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: February 01, 2022, 11:40:47 pm »
The two gal variants have slightly different salaries, initial stats, maximum stat caps. Hands are also disqualified from attending a couple of story centric missions concerning the escaped lunatics.

I'm mostly concerned about stat caps, how do they compare between all variants ? Also, i'm not sure if i clarified myself correctly, but when i said Escaped Lunatic i also referred to Castaway Gals, althoguh i am currently confused if they are in the same category anymore.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 11:46:55 pm by Rallehop »

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: February 02, 2022, 12:36:35 am »
If you sort by soldier type, castaways and escaped lunatics are under the same type (1), and I think hired hands are under a different type.  So I doubt there's any difference besides the condemnation.

You can find the stats in piratez.rul.  Just cntrl-f "soldiersPerSergeant" and below that shows all the stat caps of everyone.  There's really not a whole lot of difference between ubers.  The hands page on ufopaedia is possibly the only page that's still somewhat accurate.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 12:41:02 am by Greep »

Offline Ruberto

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: February 02, 2022, 11:21:25 am »
Hello, I need some assistance I'm afraid
I was using older mod version (v.M1 29-Aug-2021) since i started some time ago, and today I was uncircumspect and pressed "update open xcom" button in main menu, and now xpiratez don't load. loading screen shows error:
https://postimg.cc/BXLsVmmR
Is there a way to roll it back or otherwise rescue my game progress? (or install the last piratez version on top of old one, if that won't conflict with old version's saves)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 11:44:48 am by Ruberto »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: February 02, 2022, 11:29:20 am »
Hello, I need some assistance I'm afraid
I was using older mod version (v.M1 29-Aug-2021) since i started some time ago, and today I was uncircumspect and pressed "update open xcom" button in main menu, and now xpiratez don't load. loading screen shows error:

Is there a way to roll it back or otherwise rescue my game progress?

1/ Quickest way is to install piratez fresh to a new destination and copy your saved game
2/ Also a quick option is to just manually downgrade OXCE
3/ You can try fixing validation errors, but that's probably too slow and need a lot of support

4/ if you want you can also upgrade piratez version... the newest one is compatible with newest OXCE

Offline Ruberto

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: February 02, 2022, 02:25:09 pm »
1/ Quickest way is to install piratez fresh to a new destination and copy your saved game
2/ Also a quick option is to just manually downgrade OXCE
3/ You can try fixing validation errors, but that's probably too slow and need a lot of support

4/ if you want you can also upgrade piratez version... the newest one is compatible with newest OXCE
Thanks mate, it helped!

Offline S1mancoder

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: February 02, 2022, 07:33:15 pm »
Is lack of a hat slot in Hyena Rider outfit intended or an unfortunate oversight? Turanian gals even come with a Demon Skull and cant even use it... and worst of all, I can't make them wear Ushanka!

P. S. Also, Yankes scripts related: would Ushanka's or other items that give you resists work if you hold it in hand slot in X-Piratez? I tried reading the script and couldnt find if there is any sort of slot-exclusiveness (other than general limitation that it is only allowed for hands+hat).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 07:48:23 pm by S1mancoder »

Offline WrenchInThePlan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: February 03, 2022, 12:12:57 am »
What difficulty would you recommend I play on? I've been playing this mod on and off for some time and usually wind up losing or just restarting a game. I'd like to know what you folks would recommend I choose for difficulty.

Offline splic3r

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: February 03, 2022, 03:26:21 am »
My first game was john silver? like the second difficulty. It wasn't over the top difficult, some missions were easy (but they appear to be easy on davy jones now too) and a lot felt really engaging. I see nothing wrong with starting  john silver.