aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033909 times)

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3135 on: August 05, 2021, 12:25:20 pm »
Your cannon can usually destroy an armored car with a couple of hits.
If you happen to find an RPG it'll work great with both common ammo types. The gothic raygun might work.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: August 05, 2021, 06:32:55 pm »
Hi guys, i'm pretty new to this mod and i've been having trouble dealing with Armored Cars. They show up sometimes super early in the second month and nothing i do to those things seem to harm it.
Save your game and send your crew to the pogrom. If its Bandits (ratmen, highwaymen) just reload the geo save and skip the mission. They dont have much stuff worthwhile to collect. Thats the only faction which has the armored car on a pogrom.

Later on you'll get -1000 point Pogroms if you ignore them, and any faction could be running those.

The trick early game with the Armored Car is using things like Flamethrowers, Willie-Pete, Incendiary Grenades, Landmines. Fire definitely does hurt it but you need to hit it with alot of fire (that is, repeatedly).

Rince mentioned the Assault Cannon using steel cannonballs. This is sorta "the way you're supposed to do it" and fairly early you can build extra Assault Cannons and more cannonballs for them.

Im not sure about this but, if you have the ability to forge Barbaric Sword/Axe (Greatclub) these big two handed melee weapons may do the job. They're cumbersome to use so you would need like 3 Gals at peak capability ready to spring on it. The problem - if you kill it with melee, its gas tank explodes and you get flamenwerfered, and will spend weeks in the infimary. The Cattle Prod (?) may stun it without making it explode (?).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 06:35:35 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: August 05, 2021, 07:12:15 pm »
You can't stun an armored car, only certain damage types avoid triggering self-destruct and electric isn't one of them. I do believe cutting does avoid self-destruct though.

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: August 06, 2021, 10:17:30 am »
You do not need to do this running around with great swords and whatnot.

If you are determined to engage in melee, hammer will work. A good roll from a stronk gal will oneshot it, WITHOUT even setting it on fire.

Offline Rallehop

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: August 06, 2021, 03:53:57 pm »
Thanks for all the answers guys. I have yet to destroy one but i am now armed with alot of knowledge in how to do so should it be necessary!

I now come forth with a new question, regarding Plantations.

How do they work? I have been starting over many times because of poor research paths and what not and i think i've been sleeping on Plantations. Do they just provide passive income? Do they produce something you turn into something else?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: August 06, 2021, 06:15:22 pm »
snip
How do they work? I have been starting over many times because of poor research paths and what not and i think i've been sleeping on Plantations. Do they just provide passive income? Do they produce something you turn into something else?
Standard plantations are 100k passive income. The 2 latter iterations have a harvest cycle to produce stuff.

Offline Rallehop

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: August 07, 2021, 03:48:31 pm »
Standard plantations are 100k passive income. The 2 latter iterations have a harvest cycle to produce stuff.

I see that i have indeed been sleeping on them. Thanks for the answer!

I got a few more questions for anyone whos answering:

1. Do research options that are marked !Like this! unlock new mission types that can randomly appear? Is that the correct understanding?

2. What are the land vehicle "expeditions" for exactly? I understand the Recon expedition, it gives you a box of items and some lore, but why should i for instance, buy the Littlebird helicopter? Is it just like any other flying vehicle? What can it do that my Airbus can't at the beginning?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: August 08, 2021, 12:08:39 am »
snip
1. Do research options that are marked !Like this! unlock new mission types that can randomly appear? Is that the correct understanding?

2. What are the land vehicle "expeditions" for exactly? I understand the Recon expedition, it gives you a box of items and some lore, but why should i for instance, buy the Littlebird helicopter? Is it just like any other flying vehicle? What can it do that my Airbus can't at the beginning?

1) yes these types of tech change the mission pool. Usually addtions. Some the later similar tech will do a swap of something currently in the pool for a more "advanced" type

2) Craft expeditions are a way to send alot of troops(24 iirc) to some mission, albeit really slowly. The littlebirds gimmick is that it's the earliest craft with a weapon mount, so if you have lucked into a 25mm cannon or something very early you can take a stab at shooting down some civves.

Offline hereToReportBug

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: August 08, 2021, 01:05:26 pm »
Is there a way to turn off the lights on your aircraft?
I've tried ctrl+l shift+l etc...

edited
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 01:46:13 pm by hereToReportBug »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: August 09, 2021, 03:46:21 am »
Is there a way to turn off the lights on your aircraft?
I've tried ctrl+l shift+l etc...

edited

Sadly no, its part of the terrain. You can demolish the lit terrain but that's something of a hassle, and you have to pay to fix the damage later.

Offline Mechanique

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: August 09, 2021, 02:22:08 pm »
I have the star gods base spawned while I am at a tech level of chainmail armor, homefront rifles and no psi protection, and my most spacious craft is 9-slot shadowbat. There is little chance I will take it out in following months, so how much does an enemy base (in a region that already does not pay me) impact the score on hard difficulty and is it possible to continue this campaign?

Also, on the topic of score, is there a way to check the current number before the month summary screen?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: August 09, 2021, 09:24:29 pm »
A base is -500 a month in score plus the handful of points from the supply runs it spawns. Usually not much of an issue once your out of the clubs and musket period.

As to checking score look at the charts tab, and enable the graph lines for what your interested in.

Offline Mechanique

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: August 14, 2021, 01:18:01 pm »
... and now I have 2 bases up - both star gods AND mercenaries, without any viable weapons to deal with either and negative score for previous month. So are laslock weapons any good versus mercenary armor, or is it time to just give up? I'd also appreciate any tips on dealing with mercenary base with early-ish game tech too.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: August 14, 2021, 11:11:15 pm »
The corridors lend themselves to melee, which is quite effective against most mercs. The hover tanks are nightmare fuel early on though.

Offline aku

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: August 15, 2021, 11:36:38 pm »
What happens to unique one time missions (like x-prison, siberia base, dr x mansion etc.) if you allow them to despawn? Do they eventually respawn or are they lost and you're screwed?