Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033619 times)

Offline Vasja

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3090 on: June 12, 2021, 05:00:41 pm »
Clear. It's pretty tough.

Offline username

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: June 16, 2021, 01:29:53 am »
this is a side effect of how ai location finding works, the AI logs the tile location of the units it sees, and keeps that value stored for a number of turns equal to there intelligence stat. This does mean that a spotter will keep you tagged for all the snipers present for many turns.
It's worse than that, the AI will be aware of your exact location, even if you run all the way across the map, after killing everyone who saw you. The only defense is to hard-break line of fire, and even THAT doesn't work against grenade spam.

Offline Barleyman

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: June 22, 2021, 05:33:24 am »
But rounds have their own oxidizer and will fire just fine in vacuum. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard of this rule, guns have always worked fine in space and we've known this since the 50s.
Gun cartridges are already sealed and contain their own oxidizer already. Pretty much any modern firearm will fire in space without any difficulty, and will most likely work better in space since it will be devoid of any atmospheric drag issues.

Bullets will work fine but I wonder if automatics would. The gas blow-back action might be iffy with rest of the mechanism in vacuum even if the powder burns just fine. There's also stuff like vacuum-welding and the lubricants might freeze/boil if you're in hard vacuum long enough.

Definitely automatics would have overheat issue, no convection so your muzzle would cool much slower. Albeit you'd get venting action for free from the powder gases. I'm sure someone clever has worked it all out.

Offline Yirtimd2

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: June 22, 2021, 10:36:56 am »
Guys when new update? I just don't want to miss new cool stuff for early game, like it was some time ago with vaults and bandit camps. If new update will be in autumn or winter then I will start new game rgiht now with no fear.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: June 22, 2021, 11:12:55 pm »
Bullets will work fine but I wonder if automatics would.
Actually I think if anything the Harpoon Guns would work.
But then again the Power Armor suits should work too since they're a very finely crafted and they're exosuits. But while they did used to work, they made you basically invincible against anything going on in space, and the point of space is to make you feel naked, so it was a Game Balance issue.

Making you use Lasers and Rayguns in space forces you to use expensive and rare ammunition to get anything done, and others up there use lasers so your natural armor means nothing (plus you get set on fire, or its zombies tearing you apart - so all injuries are horrific). Can still use Melee very well, and thats preferable on a space station anyway.

Frankly, anything you find in space can be and should be fried with lasers.
Nerf Laspistol is common and regular Laspistols are easy to get off of academy medics. And there's the Laser Tommy which does Burst 5 too.

The only worry is Terminators but thats a risk/reward mission. You can just Abort and it takes down the disruptor satellite (you ram it with your ship). Regular Lasguns do 48 damage now and its enough to torch them... in exchange for maybe eating 2 adv/clips you might get 3-4 Nuclear Batteries... which may produce a whole iron man suit for your slave soldiers in Year 3.

It's basically trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. You likely dont have orbital capability yet (pachyderm) if you haven't by then racked up some lasers. And guild or academy people in the stations - you should wrap a hose around their neck.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 11:16:38 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3095 on: June 23, 2021, 12:32:09 pm »
Guys when new update? I just don't want to miss new cool stuff for early game, like it was some time ago with vaults and bandit camps. If new update will be in autumn or winter then I will start new game rgiht now with no fear.

I don't know, but I doubt it'll take that long. :)

Offline Barleyman

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: June 24, 2021, 05:02:42 am »
Actually I think if anything the Harpoon Guns would work.
But then again the Power Armor suits should work too since they're a very finely crafted and they're exosuits. But while they did used to work, they made you basically invincible against anything going on in space, and the point of space is to make you feel naked, so it was a Game Balance issue.

I was thinking more along in reality. I did actually go and check on the automatic action, it appears majority of automatics are recoil operated, not gas blow-back, so they would work fine in principle. That still leaves vacuum welding and boiling/freezing of lubricants as a worry, vacuum welding is one of those things that seem just wrong but apparently two pieces of pure metal (same metal) will weld together just by being held against each other in vacuum. oxidation prevents that so as long as your semi automatic is anodized black it should be fine.

Offline username

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: June 25, 2021, 12:44:43 am »
Making you use Lasers and Rayguns in space forces you to use expensive and rare ammunition to get anything done, and others up there use lasers so your natural armor means nothing (plus you get set on fire, or its zombies tearing you apart - so all injuries are horrific). Can still use Melee very well, and thats preferable on a space station anyway.
Well, there's nothing particularly rare about most of the energy weapons that would work. As for the getting set on fire...yeah, how DO you get set on fire, anyway? There's no oxygen for the fire to keep burning in!

Definitely automatics would have overheat issue, no convection so your muzzle would cool much slower. Albeit you'd get venting action for free from the powder gases. I'm sure someone clever has worked it all out.
Overheating would almost certainly be as bad or worse on an energy weapon, since at least a bullet-gun gets to eject the hot gasses, but many of the energy weapons don't eject anything so can only cool by radiation, and the energy levels involved are a lot higher.

Offline Barleyman

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: June 26, 2021, 06:17:25 pm »
Overheating would almost certainly be as bad or worse on an energy weapon, since at least a bullet-gun gets to eject the hot gasses, but many of the energy weapons don't eject anything so can only cool by radiation, and the energy levels involved are a lot higher.

Quite possible! Although we don't have any actual plasma gun designs to work this out with.. Then again, presuming handgun-sized object can deal with the waste heat in atmosphere, it has to have pretty hardcore thermal management to start with. You'd probably need some kind of bolt on cooling array.

I don't think Heckler & Koch have certified their automatics as vacuum rated yet, who knows, maybe when Space Force puts out a tender for an astronaut sidearm.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: June 28, 2021, 12:08:19 am »
Quite possible! Although we don't have any actual plasma gun designs to work this out with..
If you have heating issues with an energy weapon you dont really have an energy weapon. Efficiency on damage is between 1/5 to 1/10th or even worse compared to a projectile weapon. Even railguns are like 3-4 times the energy hog compared to the same projectile velocity.

Superconductor means megawatts without heating up the wires. And nothing of the Plasma should be touching anything otherwise it will eat itself after a few dozen shots. Railguns slowly eat themselves because the projectile isnt suspended between the magnets, its in direct contact with them.
Lasers have overheating issues due to the Beam Generation (the thing which is that bright) but if you had a Hologram inside of a vaccum which generated that light instead of a physical material I think the heat would be minimal.

(btw the description of Plasmas in XC and X-P is basically just like the Mass Effect linear accelerators, except instead of a solid projectile it turns plasma into a particle beam - antigravity field from E-115 negating the mass of the particles so they can be cooked up effortlessly)

Anyway game stuff...
I have never beaten the game or played the final mars assault. But I just realized with it undoubtedly being tough, and with the Conqueror having a very high crew capacity... I need to start elite-training all of my hands not just sending the same old birds out to fight every battle. Ive got like the same 10-15 high end gals but im thinking by endgame I might want to have at least 40.

What exactly do you need in terms of Stats and Protections for the mars attack? Ive looked at the ruleset in part and it says there's a Fear effect, but what other issues are there? Do you need Hovertanks to make up for it?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: June 29, 2021, 05:56:45 pm »
The main thing for cydonia is haveing exo capable armor. harbinger at least. And be prepared to fight both mercs and SG groups. Given it being the last battle you can just unload all the big looted explosives like nukes and blaster bombs for an easier time.

Offline username

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: June 30, 2021, 06:31:26 am »
Yeh, Cydonia is hella-easy compared to everything you've been doing before because unlike any previous missions, you don't need to hold back anything: There will be no looting, and no prisoners. Which means there's absolutely nothing stopping you from just nuking the fuck out of everything.

Offline Dogbarian

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: June 30, 2021, 06:19:33 pm »
How exactly do I get my gals started on learning Voodoo Skill?  I unlocked & built Voodoo Schools, does it take a long time to learn that first point?  Or do I have to use something else to teach them the first point?  I have started using some Cobra Staves, but not getting a point there could just be RNG.

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: June 30, 2021, 06:54:35 pm »
Since OXCE 7.0 it's only possible to raise VS from initial 0 via Voodoo School facility. Astrosensorium from Gray Codex would also work. First gains take the longest to occur (1-2 months) after that it's calculated hourly I think, while gains become smaller and smaller the higher VS becomes. Trick is to exercise patience as it often seems like it's not working initially.

I had a very unique and very annoying extreme case scenario where out of bunch of BUGEYEs, all reached their peak in reasonable amount of time, except for one who got to 72 VS and remained there for six in-game months (vL9)... before reaching 73 and max soon after. Just so you know things like that can happen. I'd finish weeks ago if that little bug wasn't mentally impaired :)

Offline username

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: June 30, 2021, 11:21:58 pm »
Once they have any non-zero skill, they'll learn much faster just by doing something than schooling, especially those last few points. You're almost certainly guaranteed a point or two just firing a few shots at an enemy, even if the attempt is utterly hopeless (across the map, no-LoS, etc). This is especially true with Bugeyes, who tend to lack any ability to do much ELSE.

So, my question. Why exactly do I occasionally get "Dead Men Looted" with negative values? What exactly am I looting that is negative value? I haven't killed any civilians. It seems to happen most with Bandits.