Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1052746 times)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #1305 on: February 21, 2019, 02:45:02 am »
snip
But wouldn't the improved manufacturing techniques be offset by increasing complexity of high tech items? I mean - better tools mostly allow making simple items faster. Or large batches of more complex items. I.e. - using modern tools to make a single assault rifle would probably take much more time than it took to make a musket with more primitive tools. Sure, *if* we set up a robotic assembly line we can make 100 ARs in the time it takes to hand-craft a single one. But that's not the scale Piratez operate on.
snip

It's something of an S curve if we take our history as an example. Hand tools and manual power, time per item is very high as well as enforcing a physical limit on number of participants at any given step. (This is the start of play with still and extractor)

Simple power assistants like drill presses or lathes allow faster repetition as long as the task is the same. But if you change the needed task or product, frequently you need a whole new power tool or even a whole new line of tools. Time is down as long as you don't change the product. And these first stage assistants are both hazardous and prone to frequent breakdowns which take there own time.

The next stage is early/crude electronics. Maybe your tools have interchangeable parts now and changing tasks is faster. But time has gone way up in the crafting of your end product because you, as yet, don't have the precision automated means for circuit building, or things like the final fitting of parts. That's still by hand and the complexity of the final object is way up and the tolerances are exacting. Assembly line methods help but there is still a bottle neck in final fitting/assembly. Also usually this period sees a lot of wasted time/rejected parts due the exacting tolerances just to make the end product work. (This is about the in game workshop.)

Then we move on to full automation. Your tools are custom made for each product which is expensive and time consuming, but once you have the line tooled up it can run out as much as you want so long as the machines keep working and you have materials to supply. Handful of people necessary once everything is set up. Overall time is way down cause the machines go from raw feedstock to fully finished product in a matter of hours, but there is still the toolup problem.

Next is something we are only just now ourselves really exploring, fully printed final products. Provide a machine a blueprint and the right materials and it can build you the parts for anything, with minuscule and repeatable tolerances, beyond what the eye can perceive. Even the machines making parts for more of themselves. Toolup is not really much of a problem anymore since your down to a single manufacturing tool and a handful of assembly tools(maybe even none if your clever.) But a new problem has a shown up. Your toolset is now so precise and fast that a single instruction error can not only ruin the product but the tool itself before you even notice. or maybe its a tiny error, but still one that renders all the output nonfunctional. So a lot of time making sure the instructions are flawless. But total time has dropped again because most the investment is in the planning step. And so long as you don't misplace that instruction set your good to go at any point in the future. (This is about industrial printer.)

The next stage is where you hand the industrialized printer tech to an AI and tell it you want some amount of something and give it a room and feedstocks and a handful of printers and say you will be back Tuesday. The AI is loads faster working and can build the whole assembly line and tools it needs while blueprinting its parts. Only the briefest supervision to refill the feedstocks and make sure the end result hasn't been corrupted by some error or bias in the AI. The only worker time investment left is making the AI and that very first printer. (This is the factory+printer in game, and presumably something like the capabilities of the Stellar empire. Though they dont seem to ever utilize unshackled AI so there still not quite the full potential of this stage utilized.)

The final stage of production is the star trek replicator, input any raw material+sufficient energy, make a request of your AI, and there you have anything from a cup of tea to a planet complete with an ecosytem and its own civilizations. Your only limits are the available resources and the computational power available. The genie is out of the bottle, be careful what you ask for.

Offline thevideogameraptorboggle

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: February 27, 2019, 07:03:05 am »
Is it just me, or has researching The Mutant Alliance caused the spawn rate of Terror Missions to quadruple. The game is becoming impossible because I get unbeatable terror missions every week. I literally had two terror missions several hours apart, and my score has plummeted to -4000.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1307 on: February 27, 2019, 10:09:19 am »
No, researching Mutant Alliance doesn't provoke additional pogroms. Even if it was, not completing even two such missions certainly wouldn't land you at -4000.
Having said that, it's not exactly typical that pogroms are consistently unbeatable, especially when you already have Mutant Alliance researched. Who are you fighting? Which difficulty level?

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: February 27, 2019, 10:29:12 am »
And remember that just going there takes a lot off of the -1000 points, even if you just leave right after touching down.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: February 27, 2019, 01:16:58 pm »
Even if you find yourself in an "unbeatable" pogrom, its always good to try and maybe kill one or two enemies then drag their stuff and corpse into the ship and lift off. With some luck, you'll knock them uncouncious so you can research/interrogate them after. This can end up giving you some tech you wouldn't get for a long time.

For exame, just started the game and landed in a pogrom with spartans? Kill one or two of them just for the weapons. Found yourself against pest control guild people? Put a HEAT RPG round into a marsec bodyguard then drag him to the ship so you can get yourself power armor parts. Found a merc commando carrying a vibro axe? Knock him down and steal his axe and you suddenly have one of the best melee weapons in the game that can cut into even the most armored enemies. Etc.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 01:20:40 pm by Dakkdakk »

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: February 27, 2019, 01:28:48 pm »
Every faction with the exception of basic humanists and spartans has a terror unit that cannot be easily dealt with using basic firearms. This might be a problem for new players.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: February 27, 2019, 01:31:42 pm »
Every faction with the exception of basic humanists and spartans has a terror unit that cannot be easily dealt with using basic firearms. This might be a problem for new players.

That's why there are other weapons than basic firearms. Few targets can withstand an axe to the neck, or better yet, a hammer. And big units which aren't actual tanks fall reliably to molotovs.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: February 27, 2019, 01:32:57 pm »
Also, you start the game with an assault cannon and several iron balls. In the hands of a strong, accurate gal, that thing can take out even mercs in a single hit, and stays useful well into the midgame.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: February 28, 2019, 09:30:30 am »
No, researching Mutant Alliance doesn't provoke additional pogroms. Even if it was, not completing even two such missions certainly wouldn't land you at -4000.
Having said that, it's not exactly typical that pogroms are consistently unbeatable, especially when you already have Mutant Alliance researched. Who are you fighting? Which difficulty level?

The month I am speaking of had three terror missions. The first, (Spartans) I had to skip because my Skyranger was on the way back from another mission and couldn't make it time. The second (Snakemen/Eridians), went well, got the Metallo in between, but then I got blindsided by chryssalids and lost half my team in a single turn. The third, (Deep Ones) went fine at first, but then I met the Lobstermen and failed to inflict a single point of damage to them. I shot them multiple times with Heavy Slugthrowers and it just did nothing. Tried using chem and UAC Chainguns to lower it's armor, but that still did nothing. It might be my personal save scumming policy, I play the mission once, and if I lose, I reload to before the mission and ignore it. Then again, I am playing on Superhuman.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: February 28, 2019, 09:33:35 am »
When, and how, does Bug Hunt Mode activate? There seems to be no consistent method to activate it, and it never activates on the missions that I want it to activate on (namely missions with time limits).

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: February 28, 2019, 11:22:46 am »
AFAIK some missions are immun.

You need to be at least 15 turns into the game and a maximum of 2 enemies are allowed to be alive, iirc. I read that some enemies might also be immune, but I can't remember.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: February 28, 2019, 11:23:59 am »
I had a few words of encouragement, but

Then again, I am playing on Superhuman.

Thank you, good night.

(Playing on the psycho level and then coming to complain is not only cheeky, but completely incomprehensible to me.)

When, and how, does Bug Hunt Mode activate? There seems to be no consistent method to activate it, and it never activates on the missions that I want it to activate on (namely missions with time limits).

Indeed it is pretty unclear. It depends on how many enemies are left and if they moved recently (are trapped/disengaged or not), but the specifics are pretty obscure.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: February 28, 2019, 03:45:30 pm »
Dogfight experience! How does it work exactly?

Code: [Select]
    dogfightExperience:
      bravery: 10
      reactions: 75
      firing: 75

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: February 28, 2019, 04:40:44 pm »
The numbers are the percent chance to get +1 reactions or firing accuracy or +10 bravery on a successful kill. Each is a separate roll, so you can get all, some, or no gain from the interception.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: February 28, 2019, 05:07:39 pm »
Do dogfight stat increase use rolls like regular increases? IE +1 to +6?