aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033971 times)

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #1290 on: October 27, 2018, 01:43:03 pm »
I wish all merc bases would fail like that  :P

That's a full blown pain in the ass all the way around, you can't even farm supply ships off that nonsense (well I guess you could but ....)

Offline arbee81

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: October 27, 2018, 08:39:15 pm »
I'll go report it in the bug thread with a save and some more details

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
« Reply #1292 on: October 27, 2018, 11:48:23 pm »
(it is a BIG question, not a little1 -

- how (and if even) i can get, /trigger, /obtain that ..special game mission *Siberia Base - if i quit, (abort) from there, from that mission, when i got this mission for very first time, - and from that time, it didnt and doesnt "spawn, pop-up for me no more..

so, - how i could trigger, show-up that Siberia Mission AGAIN? ?!

(what files and lines i need to edit, and how,
what changes)

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: October 28, 2018, 12:39:34 am »
(it is a BIG question, not a little1 -

- how (and if even) i can get, /trigger, /obtain that ..special game mission *Siberia Base - if i quit, (abort) from there, from that mission, when i got this mission for very first time, - and from that time, it didnt and doesnt "spawn, pop-up for me no more..

so, - how i could trigger, show-up that Siberia Mission AGAIN? ?!

(what files and lines i need to edit, and how,
what changes)

It should respawn itself untill your brainers will research special item that can be obtained only there (Briefcase if I remember correctly)

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: November 05, 2018, 11:04:02 am »
Does the Vampirric Robe work with all weapons that need no ammo or just melee ones?

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: February 19, 2019, 10:22:45 pm »
This is a question for Dioxine, but perhaps someone else already has the answer: Why are some items so insanely expensive in regards to workshop hours? I mean, a Boarding gun at 1250 hours takes almost as much as HPA (1500) or Portable Lascannon (1500), which are most likely much more intricate constructions. Strangely, the Super Shooty Gun takes only 400 hours, but if you take into account the 2xBG + 2xCSG  required, the total comes to 7000 hours. Which is more than assembling an entire Deliverator (6500) takes and almost double the time an X-Plasma takes (4000).
Reaper rifle (which takes just some scrap metal) takes more runthours (1600) than Custom Snipin Gun (900) or Python HSR (1200). Plate Mail takes 5500 hours* even discounting it's prerequisites, compared to Testudo's 4000.
I know this is somewhat balanced versus the material costs, but the numbers on some pieces of equipment seem 'a bit' off.

*Realistically, making a plate mail takes significantly less than half a year of 24h/day work. *YES*, I know Piratez is not about realism, I just found that piece funny.

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: February 20, 2019, 01:01:08 am »
I think the hours are balanced against the stage of the game when the items become available and not against each other. That's why high-tech stuff takes as much (or even less) time as low-tech things.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: February 20, 2019, 01:45:11 am »
pretty much as CC says. The only way to abstract superior techniques/tech within the engine is lesser time costs.

Offline thevideogameraptorboggle

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: February 20, 2019, 09:07:24 am »
When should I start researching Old Earth Voodoo? It's April 2602, and I'm currently interrogating a bunch of Reticulans and researching persuasion.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: February 20, 2019, 10:46:53 am »
Whenever you feel like it.
It might not be what you expect it to be, if you don't know what it does already.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: February 20, 2019, 03:07:36 pm »
Without spoiling much, old earth voodoo will lead you into a "questline" of research topics involving slave soldiers, with a nice payoff at the end for your gals. If you do research it, get yourself 4 very disposable slave soldiers.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1301 on: February 20, 2019, 03:36:25 pm »
This is a question for Dioxine, but perhaps someone else already has the answer: Why are some items so insanely expensive in regards to workshop hours? I mean, a Boarding gun at 1250 hours takes almost as much as HPA (1500) or Portable Lascannon (1500), which are most likely much more intricate constructions. Strangely, the Super Shooty Gun takes only 400 hours, but if you take into account the 2xBG + 2xCSG  required, the total comes to 7000 hours. Which is more than assembling an entire Deliverator (6500) takes and almost double the time an X-Plasma takes (4000).
Reaper rifle (which takes just some scrap metal) takes more runthours (1600) than Custom Snipin Gun (900) or Python HSR (1200). Plate Mail takes 5500 hours* even discounting it's prerequisites, compared to Testudo's 4000.
I know this is somewhat balanced versus the material costs, but the numbers on some pieces of equipment seem 'a bit' off.

*Realistically, making a plate mail takes significantly less than half a year of 24h/day work. *YES*, I know Piratez is not about realism, I just found that piece funny.

Well I don't want to sound harsh, but do it better... It's not easy to inter-relate a 1000 or so manuf. projects, and frankly, such polishing doesn't seem like first priority. Also take into consideration that in many, many cases, you take things off the shelf and just assembly them together, which cuts down on the time (but it's not easy to decide by how much). We'll get to balance this someday.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: February 20, 2019, 04:05:30 pm »
There's loads of abstractions that need to be made, too. I mean, if the gals are making the platemail out of plasteel sheets, then it kinda makes sense for it to take so long, while making power armor can be considered mostly just connecting and assembling salvaged power armor parts with armor plating and an helerium battery.
For example, you could consider that, in the making of smartguns, the runts are only pretty much hooking up a slightly stripped down AMG to parts of a slave AI and gyroscopes, then telling the AI to "aim the gun at the softy enemy bits pls", which it does with zero programming because, well, its an AI.
Cars and tanks also prob dont take terribly long because the runts are just assembling premade parts into a chassis, then hooking up some weapon or another to it using pre-built components, instead of making everything from the ground up.

With the boarding guns, maybe the gals are actualy handcrafting every single part because boarding guns aren't commercialy avaliable, they're all hand made, and making stuff out of nothing but basic materials takes a while, regardless of how simple it is.

That said, I also do think the production times do need balancing. Board guns and reaper rifles could def take less time to make.

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: February 20, 2019, 05:13:24 pm »
Well I don't want to sound harsh, but do it better...

Oh, that's not harsh, not by your standards. ;) You are right - it could be done better, but the time investment of un-fun days of sitting in front of an Excel sheet crunching numbers is far greater then the net gain in... I don't know? Realism? That's not why we're here. :) I was honestly just curious whether it was a conscious design decision to make some things exceptionally hard (or others easy) to manufacture.

But to argue some of the points brought up by other posters:
The only way to abstract superior techniques/tech within the engine is lesser time costs.
But wouldn't the improved manufacturing techniques be offset by increasing complexity of high tech items? I mean - better tools mostly allow making simple items faster. Or large batches of more complex items. I.e. - using modern tools to make a single assault rifle would probably take much more time than it took to make a musket with more primitive tools. Sure, *if* we set up a robotic assembly line we can make 100 ARs in the time it takes to hand-craft a single one. But that's not the scale Piratez operate on.

I mean, if the gals are making the platemail out of plasteel sheets, then it kinda makes sense for it to take so long, while making power armor can be considered mostly just connecting and assembling salvaged power armor parts with armor plating and an helerium battery.
That's why piratez platemail is an opposite example - you have pre-made parts (chainmail) that you just attach plates to. Testudo takes raw plastasteel. And yet the first takes more time. Same for Boarding Gun (new item) >>> Custom Shooty Gun (modification, but more time consuming). The point is valid though - modifications are generally easier than making completely new items from scratch. I think there's even a #XX hint
about it.
With the boarding guns, maybe the gals are actualy handcrafting every single part because boarding guns aren't commercialy avaliable, they're all hand made, and making stuff out of nothing but basic materials takes a while, regardless of how simple it is.
If you haven't noticed, 80% (or so) guns available to manufacture are not commercially available. What makes some non-standard items harder than other, assuming both are made of raw material and of similar tech level and complexity? Besides, while boarding guns are not commercially available, they are available nontheless as Sky Ninjas use them as well.

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: February 20, 2019, 08:16:27 pm »
I have an idea, not sure if it's possible to code but should be easier than changing 1000 recipes

Basically check if manufacture category is non-craft weapon or armor -> check if scrap metal is one of the ingredients -> if yes then lower manufacture time by 1\2 because the item is considered low-tech. Then add some scrap to a few high cost recipes that are low tech but don't use it(like plate). Voila.