Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1034489 times)

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #2115 on: February 03, 2020, 04:04:47 am »
Hah, adding extra windows to the aircar sounds like such overkill, you only get 4 gals xD

Alright, I ended up going green, so I guess I'll use the turtle and work with it according to eddie's post.  It seems like it does get auxes, so actually I can mostly just uses parrots/cats to peek out since they have high reaction, right?  And I guess I'll find out what the worm looks like anyways since I'll want one for the 3 light weapon slots.

Offline Alex the KatanaCutlass

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: February 03, 2020, 09:39:52 pm »
What's the deal with Repentance amd Martyrdom?

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: February 04, 2020, 05:39:57 am »
Is bio damage completely armor ignore?  Trying to figure out if barbarian armor is is just mildly bio resistant or if it also subtracts 30 damage.

Offline Rubber Cannonball

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: February 04, 2020, 09:27:38 am »
Is bio damage completely armor ignore?  Trying to figure out if barbarian armor is is just mildly bio resistant or if it also subtracts 30 damage.

It depends on the weapon, but 50% armor effectiveness is a common value.  So frontal armor value 30 would be breached by a bio weapon that does over 15 points bio damage assuming the armor bio resistance was 100%  If the armor is resistant to bio damage it would take a larger damage roll to penetrate it.  For example if the armor bio resistance was 80%, the weapon damage roll would be reduced by multiplying it by 0.80 before checking to see if it penetrated the armor.  So in the example above, the bio weapon would have to roll greater than 19 points to penetrate.  An armor resistance of 0% would be immune to that damage type.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: February 04, 2020, 10:27:15 am »

Assuming it hasn't changed since April 2019, bio weapons vary but typically penetrate around 50% armor. The exception is the Plague Bug, which penetrates almost all armor.

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: February 04, 2020, 11:35:18 am »
Sweet, some live testing showed giant spiders pretty much never kill a barbarian(shield) facing front, although they'll do a bunch of damage.  So at least it's a reliable safegaurd against spiders breaking through your doors.  Sounds like scorpions are probably similar then.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:38:31 am by Greep »

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: February 04, 2020, 10:47:09 pm »
Don't forget that flying units can't be hit by melee only non flying monsters unless of course they are adjacent on the same level.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: February 05, 2020, 02:00:02 am »
What's the deal with Repentance amd Martyrdom?

Repentance is the name of a tech and a transform. You use the transform to make repentia class gals(Better melee and hp, less shooting)

Haven't seen martyrdom myself(its newer) but i presume it's similar.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: February 05, 2020, 02:05:43 am »
Sweet, some live testing showed giant spiders pretty much never kill a barbarian(shield) facing front, although they'll do a bunch of damage.  So at least it's a reliable safegaurd against spiders breaking through your doors.  Sounds like scorpions are probably similar then.

Barbarian with shield is a very good armor vs melee if you can protect your flank. If you are standing in a door for example. The power comes from the high melee dodge value. A maxxed gal can get to over 100% dodge, which is enough that for examples werewolves can't even hit you. Just remember that the dodge is only high for frontal attacks.

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: February 05, 2020, 02:34:25 am »
Speaking of that, what counts as "front"?  Like I've always thought I was relatively protected if I have my back to a corner and emptied my TUs.  Since this means I can only be hit from my front and "front sides".  But is that "front side" a front or a side? 

Sounds like a silly question but the difference in defense for barb/tactical is just so extreme based on the way you're facing since armor is subtractive and melee is generally lots of small hits.  Like a barb(s) is almost immune to a dog from the front but will be instantly killed from the back.

Edit: lol, apparently the correct answer is "spooky"
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=5291.0

50% chance of side is better than 100% I guess xD  Unless melee uses a totally different formula. Is melee dodge counted on the sides?  I'm assuming sides count for dodge since the html bootypedia lists a "dodge back penalty" of 0.65
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 03:21:54 am by Greep »

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: February 05, 2020, 04:46:25 pm »
What part of armor is hit? (projectile weapons)

I can recount from my experience and add the insight from the post by warboy you linked. What is missing for the complete answer is: where is a shot aimed at?
From what I've heard a shot is aimed at center mass, which would mean that a shooter with perfect accuracy shooting at you from the front will always exactly hit your front armor. This is something we can test. I've heard rumors about "perfect accuracy" beeing somwehere at 130% and not 100%, so account for that.
Edit: just tested it, doesn't hold up. A shot with 185% accuracy from the front can still hit the side armor.

In comparison if you take a shotgun blast from the front, I know from experience that most likely some pellets hit your side armor. Makes perfect sense, since a shotgun does not fire all projectiles at center mass. Single projectiles fired with less then perfect accuracy then also have a chance of hitting your side armor when fired from the front.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:01:18 pm by Eddie »

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: February 05, 2020, 08:56:29 pm »
Huh, that almost sounds like a bug if someone with essentially infinite accuracy shooting right at you without a shotgun can hit side armor.  How often was that happening, or was it just a fluke one in a million thing?

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: February 05, 2020, 10:49:34 pm »
Huh, that almost sounds like a bug if someone with essentially infinite accuracy shooting right at you without a shotgun can hit side armor.  How often was that happening, or was it just a fluke one in a million thing?

Heh, it actually sounds somewhat realistic.  Even if the shooter is perfect, it doesn't mean the gun and the ammo are.  Competition shooters spend a lot of time and money trying to get their guns as accurate as possible.  They also don't use the sporting goods stores' off the shelf ammo as it isn't accurate enough.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: February 06, 2020, 02:25:23 am »
Or maybe the shooter is smart and is trying to get past your armor.

Simply put: if a soldier has their front side facing an enemy shooter, that shooter will mostly hit their front, sometimes either side, and never the back.

With combat shields on the left, you can have a soldier face their front-left diagonal toward incoming fire to almost guarantee that either the front or left are where they get hit.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: February 06, 2020, 04:16:08 pm »
Combat shields on the left? Are you playing a different game?

Shields that are part of the armor always add to front armor. Sidearmor is always equal on the left and the right.
Shields that are an item independent of armor (riot shield for example) have no facing. These shields work by modifying your resistance to damage (piercing for example), and that is effective for all armor sides. So yes, a riot shield will also improve your back armor. Another fun fact: you can have the riot shield in your backpack and it will still protect your front. Having the riot shield and the sheperd staff in your backpack gives you some serious cutting protection. I hope in future versions some check is added to the script to check if a shield type item is actually held in your hand before the bonuses are applied...

@Greep
I didn't test long, but I didn't need many tries to get a hit on the side armor. And yes, it happened several times. It all makes more sense if you think of side armor as the part of the armor covering your arms.