aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033630 times)

Offline Galwail

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #2085 on: January 15, 2020, 10:06:05 am »
Thank you for the advice. Those laser weapons they sell are super expensive. Plus they don't look like a huge upgrade over Asuka rifles.

I guess I will skip them. I don't want more negative score. Pogroms are fun, but the one mansion mission I had was completely different. The map was so convoluted and filled with low level enemies, that could not really kill my gals. It was really tedious to find and kill all the high tier enemies, so the rest can surrender.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: January 15, 2020, 03:19:16 pm »
You do need some type of lasers eventually, Hard to win in 0-G with only limited melee options. Also damage type diversity, not every foe is best fought with regular bullets.

The eurosyn deal serves as the option of last resort if none of the other avenues of lasers show up. The other early routes either rely on scavenging or digging deep into the bounty rewards.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: January 15, 2020, 03:59:28 pm »
You still aren't that deprived of laser weapons tho, since you still have smuggler contacts to get yourself some basic but rather useful energy stuff, and you can easily save enough stuff to equip a decently sized team off a single pogrom against guild exterminators/mercs. I also do feel the eurosyndicate deal is more a flavor thing that brings more downsides then upsides, since by that point you'll likely have enough extra loot to compensate.

Offline unarmed drifter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: January 22, 2020, 03:29:15 pm »
i did EuroSyndicate as soon as the research popped up. First mission ended in a squad wipe on turn 12. Second mission, where i did bring my best gals and the two plasma weapons i had (and lots of high ex, panzerfausts etc etc) ended in a squad wipe on turn 28.
and i'm not even playing on superhuman  >:(.

Offline Rubber Cannonball

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: January 22, 2020, 11:02:29 pm »
Pogroms are fun, but the one mansion mission I had was completely different. The map was so convoluted and filled with low level enemies, that could not really kill my gals. It was really tedious to find and kill all the high tier enemies, so the rest can surrender.

I strongly recommend using enough motion scanners aye-phones to be able to sweep from one side or corner of the map to the opposite one.  Also bring along gals in armor with sense like novice robes to be able to determine what floors the enemy units are on.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 03:38:32 am by Rubber Cannonball »

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: January 24, 2020, 01:34:47 pm »
I don't remember if you can bring dogs into mansions, but if you don't have aye-phones (which you should prob have by that point anyways), their sniff power works pretty much the same way. Gals with sense are the easiest way to go though, since you don't have to waste TU's on anything, just be careful with the ocasional shotgun carrying mansion dweller.

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: January 25, 2020, 04:56:01 am »
Haven't played in a while, wondering about some stuff that has changed:

-Is there any way to see freshness on geoscape?  Like I can see max freshness and I can order by unfreshness, but I'm not seeing a way to measure freshness
-The freshness on El Admiral de something's suit drains completely before even a single mission is over, is that intended?
-Now that peasant rank up and dogs will explode with pre-primed explosives, what's the best early base defense for farming bases?  Or are those just not worth defending atm?

Random comment:
-Got a robo-parrot as a random event early game, that thing was really useful for about a dozen missions :D  Died the same way all parrots die, though: ending turn accidentally with it at a high z-level.

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: January 25, 2020, 07:09:30 pm »
Haven't played in a while, wondering about some stuff that has changed:

-Is there any way to see freshness on geoscape?  Like I can see max freshness and I can order by unfreshness, but I'm not seeing a way to measure freshness
-The freshness on El Admiral de something's suit drains completely before even a single mission is over, is that intended?
-Now that peasant rank up and dogs will explode with pre-primed explosives, what's the best early base defense for farming bases?  Or are those just not worth defending atm?

Random comment:
-Got a robo-parrot as a random event early game, that thing was really useful for about a dozen missions :D  Died the same way all parrots die, though: ending turn accidentally with it at a high z-level.

- You just have to go to your base on geoscape and click "Hands" bar, there you can check their individual stats as well as freshness.
- Yes, such suit gives a lot of perks, but at a cost.
- Snipers, mines/nades and base defence buildings. Even standard "flak cannon" gives a powerfull turret during the defence that won't be destroyed by anything short of powerfull laser/plasma weaponry and high explosives.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: January 25, 2020, 08:36:44 pm »
Regarding freshness:
You can see the actual value of a soldier that is not at full by loading him onto a craft. Then go to the equip screen and click on the stats button there. That will display the actual freshness.

(I hope this is what you wanted to know)

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: January 25, 2020, 09:32:15 pm »
Ah yeah found the freshness bit.

Good to know regarding flak cannons.  I didn't realize how quickly you could get base defense buildings, although that's still pretty late for farming bases.  Mostly I recall base defense getting annoying when some dudes inevitably enter the sewers, though, but I guess I can always deal with that with grenadier peasants.

I guess I'll just take a more cautious stance and upgrade all my money making bases fully with extractors before spamming farms everywhere, so it makes more sense to add a bit more defenses.  Mostly when using peasants I have extreme morale issues from all of the death to the point where even buddha smokes are hard to mitigate it, though, which is kinda why I liked those exploding dogs.  But I guess I can also have them if I give the peasants some unprimed explosives
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 10:04:18 pm by Greep »

Offline amjh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: January 25, 2020, 11:16:48 pm »
If you can get the needed research, a single armored car with a bit of support should be enough to deal with early base assaults. They have enough mobility to shoot several enemies and hide in one turn, and enough armor to tank a few reaction shots if things go wrong. They fall off hard when enemies bring bigger energy weapons, though.

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: January 25, 2020, 11:55:16 pm »
If it so early game, there is nothing to worry. Dogs with their bite will kill everything short of Academy Drone and only Dark Ones might give them a bit of trouble.

Offline armadilloTank

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: January 26, 2020, 06:09:12 am »
This might be a bug of I'm missing a trigger. I'm trying to build hunter killer/ STR_INTERCEPTOR. I have contacts: ship junkyard and the dep for it. I should be able to see old fighter hull/ STR_FIGHTER_WRECKAGE (bootypedia says i have the tech here as well) in the buy menu. It is not there. Going into the rule file and removing dependencies on the component does not make it appear.

What am I missing?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2098 on: January 26, 2020, 11:18:10 am »
Check under "hidden".

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: January 26, 2020, 09:54:00 pm »
So sometime around april I get these jeeps/tanks on the geoscape that move at 125 speed.  I assumed they weren't meant to be destroyed at this point since I never can seem to get their bootypedia page in any games I've played, but am I just missing out on a lot of missions by ignoring these things?