Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1104491 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1095 on: May 03, 2018, 05:14:47 pm »
Soo, something like the following file? First time I try doing something like this.

Yes, exactly! Except clean. And of course it must be a single shot, not a series.

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: May 04, 2018, 03:31:58 am »
Are the first level zombie infestation missions still supposed to spawn after researching Zombie Evolution Hypothesis?  Iv'e had 4-5 zombie infestations since researching it and not one has had an infector.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: May 04, 2018, 10:48:07 am »
Yes, exactly! Except clean. And of course it must be a single shot, not a series.

Welp, this will be harder than I thought. I'm not sure what do you mean with "clean" here. As for being a single shot, I'll see what I can do.

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: May 04, 2018, 02:18:36 pm »
He means that there can be no other sounds heard in the background :) At least I think so.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: May 04, 2018, 11:57:34 pm »
Many of the conspiracies that are used in this game, or referenced at least, are utterly ridiculous, as are the monster movies that it also references.  On that note, we don't yet have giant ants, right? Any plans for Them to attack?  Or any work on allowing titanic enemies, so we can light Godzilla on fire with napalm?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: May 05, 2018, 12:31:29 pm »
Are the first level zombie infestation missions still supposed to spawn after researching Zombie Evolution Hypothesis?  Iv'e had 4-5 zombie infestations since researching it and not one has had an infector.

Zombie Evolution Hypothesis does not disable any missions.

He means that there can be no other sounds heard in the background :) At least I think so.

Well, yes :)

Many of the conspiracies that are used in this game, or referenced at least, are utterly ridiculous, as are the monster movies that it also references.

Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction... Especially in the 90's. 8)

On that note, we don't yet have giant ants, right? Any plans for Them to attack?

We have humanoid ants, does it count?

Or any work on allowing titanic enemies, so we can light Godzilla on fire with napalm?

That would be way beyond the current code. Unless you mean "UFOs" to shoot down on the Geoscape - that could be arranged.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: May 05, 2018, 02:33:35 pm »
Well, yes :)

Okay, I'll have to try harder and see how I can I do it.

That would be way beyond the current code. Unless you mean "UFOs" to shoot down on the Geoscape - that could be arranged.

Isn't that a thing since the start? Also, how exactly do "hunter UFOs" work mechanics-wise? Do they leave anything upon defeat, or do they always blow up? Is there a way to neutralize them somehow?

As an alternative for Godzilla, what about having an unit that's a giant foot that represents the reptile crushing stuff around?  :)

now then, more bugs. First, I attach a save about a strange thing that was probably not intended: A Large UFO that became the battleground with a wooden castle that you see in the save, filled with Alien Hybrids that do nothing except to wait for you to go there. Retreating causes the UFO to disappear.

Second, is that intended that tanks can work underwater?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: May 05, 2018, 06:19:38 pm »
Isn't that a thing since the start?

You mean UFOs? Yes, I think they were present in vanilla. :P

Also, how exactly do "hunter UFOs" work mechanics-wise? Do they leave anything upon defeat, or do they always blow up? Is there a way to neutralize them somehow?

Hunter-killer UFOs? They work exactly like normal UFOs, except they hunt your crafts. Or did you mean soemthing else?

As an alternative for Godzilla, what about having an unit that's a giant foot that represents the reptile crushing stuff around?  :)

Maybe as a "minefield" which activates at random on the battlescape - same as Pink Desert effect in Piratez, but more like this:

:P

now then, more bugs. First, I attach a save about a strange thing that was probably not intended: A Large UFO that became the battleground with a wooden castle that you see in the save, filled with Alien Hybrids that do nothing except to wait for you to go there. Retreating causes the UFO to disappear.

This save contains a shitload of other mods, most of which are clearly incompatible... So I'm not going to debug this. But it looks like a standard Hybrid base, and your description makes sense. (I need to smooth things out at some point.)

Second, is that intended that tanks can work underwater?

They shouldn't, but I haven't coded it yet.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: May 05, 2018, 11:56:42 pm »
Maybe as a "minefield" which activates at random on the battlescape - same as Pink Desert effect in Piratez, but more like this:

Yes, this is what I was thinking about!

This save contains a shitload of other mods, most of which are clearly incompatible... So I'm not going to debug this. But it looks like a standard Hybrid base, and your description makes sense. (I need to smooth things out at some point.)

Uuh, what? Most, if not all of the mods I have are not influencing gameplay in any way and never gave me trouble at all so far. I thought the scenario was some sort of bugged UFO mash-up or something unfinished.
Either way, the mission still works, even though it gives you no alloys or anything.

They shouldn't, but I haven't coded it yet.

That explains a lot. Neverthleess, they were a huge help.  :)
Dem Deep Ones are stupid stronk.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: May 07, 2018, 01:40:54 pm »
I managed to cut down the "pulse rifle" sound to something that should be more fitting. Thoughts, Solarius?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: May 07, 2018, 07:27:43 pm »
I managed to cut down the "pulse rifle" sound to something that should be more fitting. Thoughts, Solarius?

It's still a full auto sound... This obviously wouldn't make sense if you use aim or snap. And it ends abruptly.
I know, I'm being impossible. But that's how good mods are made :) There are still so many things I'm not happy about.

Maybe it would be best if you make a separate mod with just your sound, so everyone could test it?

And can we please open a new thread? This one is for bugs after all.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 07:30:43 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: May 08, 2018, 04:05:00 pm »
It's still a full auto sound... This obviously wouldn't make sense if you use aim or snap. And it ends abruptly.
I know, I'm being impossible. But that's how good mods are made :) There are still so many things I'm not happy about.

Maybe it would be best if you make a separate mod with just your sound, so everyone could test it?

Unfortunately I don't know how to make a mod, not even a sound one, I don't know much how to program OpenXcom nor I'm good at programming, for not to mention I don't have the time to do so at the moment. Therefore, for now my idea will have to stand aside.

I'll keep informing about bugs whenever I play the game though, as usual. Speaking of:

I checked and yeah, the prison/s, the alien containment unit/s and the animal center have infinite capacity. I believe I mentioned it before and I have to insist about it: They can get to negative numbers without issue.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:11:05 pm by HumanTraitor »

Offline Khazaar

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: May 11, 2018, 02:30:46 pm »
First time post, first of GREAT MOD!!! loved the Piratez one too!

A couple of things I noticed (playing 0.89). The large radar circle on the global map dissapears, when you build a building in the base w. the large radar. Currently unsure which one. Detection still seems to work though. Annoying for directing AWACS though...

I build the cannontank and ammo for it, but it doesn´t show up anywhere. Not in soldiers, vehicles or equipment. I can only sell it. There is a seperate ufopedia entry for the cannon itself, but I cannot buld it. Maybe you originally intended to make it possible to equip the tank with the different guns (cannon, rockets or minigun) but scrapped it. Anyway, it currently doesn´t work for me...

hope this helps and keep up the good work! :-*

Offline DIhlo

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: May 11, 2018, 04:30:23 pm »
First time post, first of GREAT MOD!!! loved the Piratez one too!

A couple of things I noticed (playing 0.89). The large radar circle on the global map dissapears, when you build a building in the base w. the large radar. Currently unsure which one. Detection still seems to work though. Annoying for directing AWACS though...

X-Com HQ and Intelligence Center give you global detection range with low chance. The base radar range only shows the largest one of those building you have on the base in question. So if you have a global range it just isn't drawn. Kinda uncomfortable, but I don't think there's an easy way around that.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: May 11, 2018, 04:31:38 pm »
X-Com HQ and Intelligence Center give you global detection range with low chance. The base radar range only shows the largest one of those building you have on the base in question. So if you have a global range it just isn't drawn. Kinda uncomfortable, but I don't think there's an easy way around that.

Next version won't do that.