aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072712 times)

Offline Kammerer

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #795 on: October 26, 2017, 10:39:42 pm »
Another list of small typos:

of colossal, organic structures - maybe I'm wrong, but I think the comma is unnecessary here

below a certain threashold

inspired by his granfather's work

travelling - you replaced all the British to American English. This may be the last one.

STR_CYBERDREADNAUGHT_PLANS - missing string

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #796 on: October 27, 2017, 07:02:11 pm »
of colossal, organic structures - maybe I'm wrong, but I think the comma is unnecessary here

I agree.

travelling - you replaced all the British to American English. This may be the last one.

It's not that clear cut, but I agree that the form "traveling" is preferred in American English.
(Even though it looks like a window with no glass panes.)

STR_CYBERDREADNAUGHT_PLANS - missing string

Hey, it's not in the game yet :P

As always, many thanks!

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 08, 2017, 11:18:02 pm »
STR_ALIEN_RESEARCH_EARLY has no string.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: November 08, 2017, 11:24:42 pm »
STR_ALIEN_RESEARCH_EARLY has no string.

And where is this string in the game?

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 08, 2017, 11:48:17 pm »
And where is this string in the game?
It appears for some UFOs as a name of their mission.

Unrelated problem: the text for "Into the Dark" is too long, the lower half of the last line is missing.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: November 09, 2017, 12:10:25 am »
It appears for some UFOs as a name of their mission.

Ahh, right! I have completely forgotten about the Decoder.

Unrelated problem: the text for "Into the Dark" is too long, the lower half of the last line is missing.

Thanks, fixed.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: November 09, 2017, 01:09:27 am »
I don't get any of the new missions. STR_CHTONITE_MINIBASE_ASSAULT and STR_SHOGG_VILLAGE appear in the save file at the start of the month, but the missions don't start this month.

I used a save from 0.7.3, but added to it missing entries from a save from 0.7.4:
possibleMissions:
    - region: REGION_CHTONITE_MINIBASE
      missions: ~
    - region: REGION_SHOGG_VILLAGE
      missions: ~

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 09, 2017, 12:35:00 pm »
The Chtonite Minibase mission was actually added in 0.7.3.

These two missions have a random chance of appearing. From your description I'm not sure if it simply hasn't happened yet or there is some legitimate bug.
If you want to experiment, open.alienMissions_XCOMFILES.rul, find the mission in question and remove the executionOdds line, then wait until next month. If it still doesn't spawn that minth, then we have a bug.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 09, 2017, 10:03:44 pm »
The Chtonite Minibase mission was actually added in 0.7.3.

These two missions have a random chance of appearing. From your description I'm not sure if it simply hasn't happened yet or there is some legitimate bug.
If you want to experiment, open.alienMissions_XCOMFILES.rul, find the mission in question and remove the executionOdds line, then wait until next month. If it still doesn't spawn that minth, then we have a bug.
Are you sure? executionOdds is only present in missionScripts_XCOMFILES.rul. Did you mean that? I changed it, but nothing appeared. I think executionOdds sets the chances of the mission appearing next month.

I've attached the game where Chtonite minibase should appear in 1342 minutes (about 22 hours). And the next month with Shogg after 20157 minutes (14 days) and Chtonite after 39348 (27 days). Neither appears.

Then I started another game, manually added STR_ALIEN_SUBTERRANEAN_ACTIVITY and STR_GOING_DEEPER to the list of discoveries, got another 2 missions in the file next month, but neither appeared.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 10, 2017, 07:14:08 pm »
Are you sure? executionOdds is only present in missionScripts_XCOMFILES.rul. Did you mean that? I changed it, but nothing appeared. I think executionOdds sets the chances of the mission appearing next month.

Yes, you're right. I mixed up the file names.

I've attached the game where Chtonite minibase should appear in 1342 minutes (about 22 hours). And the next month with Shogg after 20157 minutes (14 days) and Chtonite after 39348 (27 days). Neither appears.

Then I started another game, manually added STR_ALIEN_SUBTERRANEAN_ACTIVITY and STR_GOING_DEEPER to the list of discoveries, got another 2 missions in the file next month, but neither appeared.

Hmmm... No idea what could be wrong... Everything looks fine...

EDIT: Lol no, it was bugged after all. Please download 0.7.5 for the fix.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 11, 2017, 12:09:45 am »
Works for Shogg Village now. Landing at Chtonite Minibase results in this message, when I press "Yes":
OpenXcom has crashed: Map failed to fully generate.
Extra information has been saved to openxcom.log.
If this error was unexpected, please report it to the developers.
Same for any of my saves above.
Update: same for "New Battle" mode. In version 0.7.4 "New Battle" did work for this mission.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:14:43 am by tkzv »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 11, 2017, 12:41:15 am »
Works for Shogg Village now. Landing at Chtonite Minibase results in this message, when I press "Yes":Same for any of my saves above.
Update: same for "New Battle" mode. In version 0.7.4 "New Battle" did work for this mission.

Crashes for me too. The funny thing is, I can't remember changing this mission. Fix in progress.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 11, 2017, 11:57:57 am »
In Scorpoid village it's possible to strike through some brick walls. At least with melee weapons. On the attached screenshot and quicksave it's the wall in front of Taras Shevchenko.

Unrelated question: the mission "ROGUE ROBOTS IN M.A.G.M.A. FACTORY!" appeared after the destruction of Syndicate. Is this right?
P.S. M.A.G.M.A. messages rarely appear in the correct order from 1 to 5. Should their titles be renamed? Something like:
1: "Message from M.A.G.M.A.: Greetings"
2: "Message from M.A.G.M.A.: Cleanup Appreciated"
3: "Message from M.A.G.M.A.: Heavy Cannon"
4: "Message from M.A.G.M.A.: Auto Cannon"
5: "Message from M.A.G.M.A.: Pulse Weapons"

And speaking of repetitive missions, what about monsters terrorizing cities and Blood/Black Moon? The solution for monster problem kills all monsters on the surface, leaving only the cave and catacomb missions. I understand that it doesn't affect Spider Nest and Ooze Nest, because they were underground. But why do the rest remain?

Men in Black use their own craft for cover-up missions, but standard UFOs for retaliation missions. Is this intentional, or yet another leftover from the early versions?

And another duplicate string in extraStrings_XCOMFILES.rul:
STR_NO_ALIEN_CONTAINMENT_FOR_TRANSFER_2: "NO ANIMAL PENS FOR TRANSFER!{SMALLLINE}Live creatures require special facilities in the base."
STR_NO_ALIEN_CONTAINMENT_FOR_TRANSFER_2: "No cells available for transfer!"

Interrogated alien medics don't give information about Ultra Cryssalid and Ultra Cryssalid Corpse. Bug? Or is there some reason behind it?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 04:32:01 pm by tkzv »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 11, 2017, 05:21:40 pm »
In Scorpoid village it's possible to strike through some brick walls. At least with melee weapons. On the attached screenshot and quicksave it's the wall in front of Taras Shevchenko.

I'll look into this.

Unrelated question: the mission "ROGUE ROBOTS IN M.A.G.M.A. FACTORY!" appeared after the destruction of Syndicate. Is this right?

I think it's justifiable with their huge resources. Even decapitated, a wyrm is still dangerous in its death throes.

P.S. M.A.G.M.A. messages rarely appear in the correct order from 1 to 5. Should their titles be renamed? Something like:
1: "Message from M.A.G.M.A.: Greetings"
2: "Message from M.A.G.M.A.: Cleanup Appreciated"
3: "Message from M.A.G.M.A.: Heavy Cannon"
4: "Message from M.A.G.M.A.: Auto Cannon"
5: "Message from M.A.G.M.A.: Pulse Weapons"

Not sure how you can change this order, but I guess it's not a bad idea. I'll consider it.

And speaking of repetitive missions, what about monsters terrorizing cities and Blood/Black Moon? The solution for monster problem kills all monsters on the surface, leaving only the cave and catacomb missions. I understand that it doesn't affect Spider Nest and Ooze Nest, because they were underground. But why do the rest remain?

Good point. Fixed.

Men in Black use their own craft for cover-up missions, but standard UFOs for retaliation missions. Is this intentional, or yet another leftover from the early versions?

Sort of leftover, but MiB need much more work. For now they're more of a demo.

And another duplicate string in extraStrings_XCOMFILES.rul:
STR_NO_ALIEN_CONTAINMENT_FOR_TRANSFER_2: "NO ANIMAL PENS FOR TRANSFER!{SMALLLINE}Live creatures require special facilities in the base."
STR_NO_ALIEN_CONTAINMENT_FOR_TRANSFER_2: "No cells available for transfer!"[/tt][/quote]

Thanks, fixed.

Interrogated alien medics don't give information about Ultra Cryssalid and Ultra Cryssalid Corpse. Bug? Or is there some reason behind it?

It's not a common unit, so I'm not sure any medic would have the info... Maybe some of them.

Offline Kammerer

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: November 11, 2017, 05:52:44 pm »
As always, some more typos in the latest version:

Was there another, world down there

There's no need in the comma here.

It preobably wouldn't pass

I dont believe in criticizing art

This insectoid have all the features

knowledge bank ond chemical regulator

tremendous. there is usually

this Zombie type holds large amounts of bio energy

I think bioenergy should be written in one word.

fuelled, modelled, theatre - British spelling

Missing strings:
STR_ANTMAN_QUEEN_CORPSE
STR_GIANT_SPIDER_KING_COMMANDER
STR_ANTMAN_WARRIOR_CORPSE

STR_CYBERDREDNAUGHT_PLANS - you added the string STR_CYBERDREADNAUGHT_PLANS. This should be fixed either in the items_XCOMFILES.rul ruleset or in the extraStrings_XCOMFILES.rul file.