aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071796 times)

Offline Ragshak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2016, 12:32:20 am »
I have issues with Strange Monster missions. So far only Chupacabras and Spikeboears were aggresive at some degree. Spiders, if left uncontrolled, had few lucky bites.
Reapers, Zombies,  Mogwars(?) (...that white ugly gorilla*), Scorpions just go here and there and dont do much. The more I play the more I find Strange Monster missions boring and unatractive. Its quite frustrating to kill - with low tier weapons - 20+ Zombies  or those white/grey Gorillaz. My gyus just sit near the Van and shot everything that moves... its more a accuracy training than interesing mission. I often kill few enemies to get some score and then abandom mission.
Would be cool to see more of hunt like missions. So for example Strange Monster starts on one corner of the map and have to escape by going to specific place on the map OR force player to hunt by giving only X turns to complete the missions (I dont like missions with time limit but this is one of many solutions).
Also briefing tells about locals helping to locate Strange Monsters. Would be cool to see some locals with weapons as allies (But dont know is this even technically possible).

*UFOpedia entry tells that they are higly agressive... but they are not.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2016, 12:40:45 am »
Monster aggression has at some point became a problem, but it was fixed... Make sure you are using the latest available version of the mod.

But I don't agree that they aren't aggressive, I always get bitten by a stealthy spider in the ass.

Offline Ragshak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2016, 12:54:43 am »
v0.4.2 on my end

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2016, 12:58:44 am »
After turn 20 or whatever, they can become really annoying. The problem is that they don't seem to spot you and act aggressively (potentially because the AI isn't very good at the "walking up to enemies and hiding so you can attack them next turn"). There's also the thing where wounded enemies have a tendency to flee, which means you can safely shoot the closest enemies and they will retreat, then reconsider and move in, (or the opposite) which amounts to not making much progress.

It might be interesting to give them knowledge of the player location but reduce their aggression. This means they'll either sulk or, knowing that they are in range, strike at you. That's a behaviour that's pretty close to animals. Charging from long distances, especially under fire, isn't. Doing their thing/hiding until threatened (by the hunter coming close) and then striking out would be much more like it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2016, 01:57:03 am »
In the next version it should be a little better.

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2016, 12:46:06 pm »
In a recent mission I noticed I was getting damaged personal armor from nowhere.  It seems my unconscious soldier in personal armor counts for the drop.  I tested it by knocking one of my other personal armor troops (near the skymarshall) unconscious and I got a second damaged armor.

Offline Ragshak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2016, 05:22:51 pm »
About missing faction...

They should spawn... Sometimes they take a break and disappear for a month or two, so it's probably this. If this continues for several months, please tell me, but it seems fine at the moment.

Finally they showed up.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2016, 10:21:08 pm »
In a recent mission I noticed I was getting damaged personal armor from nowhere.  It seems my unconscious soldier in personal armor counts for the drop.  I tested it by knocking one of my other personal armor troops (near the skymarshall) unconscious and I got a second damaged armor.

That's ultra weird, recoverable items have been in for 2 years at least and thre were no problems. I haven't changed anything there, at least with the personal armour...

Are you sure this damaged armour didn't come from some other (dead) soldier?

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2016, 03:56:19 am »
None of my soldiers died, so it wasn't from a dead body.  And like I said, when I knocked out one of my other personal armor soldiers it caused a second damaged armor to appear on the loot screen.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2016, 10:07:48 am »
None of my soldiers died, so it wasn't from a dead body.  And like I said, when I knocked out one of my other personal armor soldiers it caused a second damaged armor to appear on the loot screen.

OK, thanks for the report. I'll try to look at it ASAP.

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2016, 03:07:20 am »
I've noticed a few problems with the UFOpedia.  The entries for 'X-COM Summary Report #3,' 'Sectopod Construction,' and 'UFO Construction' get re-marked as new when I restart the game after closing it.  I remember Piratez having a similar problem a few updates ago.  Worse is that attempting to view the 'Hybrid Storage Facility' entry causes a crash.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2016, 06:06:06 pm »
I've noticed a few problems with the UFOpedia.  The entries for 'X-COM Summary Report #3,' 'Sectopod Construction,' and 'UFO Construction' get re-marked as new when I restart the game after closing it.  I remember Piratez having a similar problem a few updates ago.  Worse is that attempting to view the 'Hybrid Storage Facility' entry causes a crash.

Sorry about the crash, to fix it add this to items_XCOMFILES:

Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_HYBRID_STORAGE
    bigSprite: 299
    weight: 0
    invWidth: 2
    invHeight: 3

As for the unmarking of research, I'll ask Dioxine what the deal was.

Offline Ragshak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2016, 08:59:24 pm »
Promotion II  issue. Screen shows High Explosives as a reward but I cant buy it and see in UFOpedia. Instead I get Smoke Granade which isn't listed on the Promotion screen.

Edit: At this stage I have access to BlackOps arsenal and Contract weapons (Dagon in my case) seems pointless.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:01:20 pm by Ragshak »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2016, 10:11:48 pm »
As for the unmarking of research, I'll ask Dioxine what the deal was.

When opening UFO construction, Hovertank rocket launcher is marked as read;
when opening Sectopod construction, Sectopod laser is marked as read;
when opening the report #3, HMG is marked as read

Not sure, WTF is going on... but I think Dioxine is using those _ZZZ requirements to workaround it?

I'll have a look in more detail into it later... I don't think it's problem in my code (of course it may very well be), but I guess it's some extremely well hidden vanilla bug or some stupid copy-paste error; or some other fauna or flora.

Code: [Select]
  - id: STR_HOVERTANK_ROCKET_LAUNCHER
    type_id: 3
    section: STR_WEAPONS_AND_EQUIPMENT
    weapon: STR_ROCKET_LAUNCHER
    requires:
      - STR_UFO_CONSTRUCTION
    text: STR_HOVERTANK_ROCKET_LAUNCHER_UFOPEDIA
    listOrder: 1117

- id: STR_SECTOPOD_LASER
    type_id: 3
    weapon: STR_LASER_CANNON
    requires:
      - STR_LASER_CANNON
      - STR_SECTOPOD_CONSTRUCTION
    text: STR_SECTOPOD_LASER_UFOPEDIA
    listOrder: 1640

- id: STR_HMG
    type_id: 4
    text: STR_HMG_UFOPEDIA
    requires:
      - STR_MILESTONE_3
    listOrder: 3120

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2016, 12:18:19 am »
Thanks Meridian. To be honest, I'd prefer if you looked at X-Com Files files (lol), since I don't understand at 100% what the issue is.

@Ragshak: Yes, that info is incorrect, thanks.