Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1330274 times)

Offline CrazedHarpooner

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #4290 on: September 17, 2024, 06:50:01 pm »
mapScript ALIENBIGBASEGROWN has an issue in this part:
Code: [Select]
    - type: addBlock #connectors
      executions: 2
      groups: 13
      size: [2, 2, 4]
    - type: addBlock #bonus connector
      executionChances: 40
      size: [2, 2, 4]
None of the group 13 mapBlock definitions match the specified size, they're all 10x10 blocks [1,1,4]. This results in the only connections between the 2 top levels and the 2 bottom levels being: the base's entry point, alien hangar if it spawns (and it's one way only unless you can fly) and depending on RNG, very few combinations of vertical levels where they have the gravlift at the same (x,y) coordinates.
Fix for the script is as simple as removing the size property to let it default to size 1 or actively specify that size (no need for the full dimension list):
    - type: addBlock #connectors
      executions: 2
      size: 1
    - type: addBlock #bonus connector
      executionChances: 40
      size: 1
However, this exposed some issues with the connector blocks. So I'm providing some modified ones and why they've been modified:

- CONNECTING_CHAMBER_00 (MAP and RMP):
    · Gravlift beams added in gravlift tiles on level 1. (visual only, makes it more evident that you can also go up)
    · Added/removed floor tiles on different levels. (while not visible, they also act as base "roofs" for the level just below instead of exposing dirt directly)
    · Restricted spawn to size 1 untis on level 1 and 3 nodes. (Size 2 terror units were spawning in areas they could not leave, intended(?))

CONNECTING_CHAMBER_01 (MAP and RMP):
    · Fixed unusable gravlift between levels 1 and 2. (gravlift placed in the incorrect slot and base floor was also in the way)
    · Added/removed floor tiles on different levels. (same as in Chamber 00)
    · Restricted spawn to size 1 untis on level 1 nodes. (Same as in Chamber 00)

CONNECTING_CHAMBER_02 (RMP only):
    · Restricted spawn to size 1 untis on level 1 and 2 nodes. (Same as in Chamber 00)

CONNECTING_CHAMBER_03 (MAP and RMP):
    · Fixed window walls placed in the incorrect tile slot on level 2. (visually you can't tell the difference, but engine-wise, units were "jumping" through the windows)
    · Restricted spawn to size 1 untis on level 2 node. (Same as in Chamber 00)

CONNECTING_CHAMBER_04 (MAP only):
    · Fixed incorrect slot placement of many walls on level 2 resulting in bizarre tunneling residues. (caused issues with digTunnel in mapScript)

This should address issues on those blocks, however, I've noticed other cosmetic and fucntional issues in other blocks during testing, missing base walls that leave dirt exposed (mostly east or south sides that aren't that clearly visible) and other areas where size 2 units might spawn and can't leave. Once I'm done with my scripts, I may return to these mapblocks and revise them carefully. But this will take a while.

PS: I decided to post it all here in one go rather than post the script correction here and the MAP / RMP contribution in the "Want to help?" thread, let me know if this would of been preferable.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2024, 04:18:28 pm by CrazedHarpooner »

Offline rkagerer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: September 21, 2024, 02:20:00 am »
I can't recall if I posted this UFOpaedia text typo before.  It should say "not only are they" instead of "not only they are"

https://i.imgur.com/zOZRhr1.png

Offline hairybert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: September 22, 2024, 12:07:33 pm »
Researching a live muckstar: "This completely alien creature [...]"

Muckstar autopsy: "This creature appears completely alien, but in fact is a heavily modified coral. [...]"

Is this inconsistency (muckstar is alien vs. is not) by intention?

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: September 22, 2024, 02:19:18 pm »
I just had a Military anti-monster operation (against Zombies), for which the military did not show up.
On one hand, I am glad they did not detract from my score by dying horribly. On the other, it's strange that they weren't there.

Also, are Vampire Knights supposed to be able to panic?

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: September 22, 2024, 02:40:01 pm »
I just had a Military anti-monster operation (against Zombies), for which the military did not show up.
On one hand, I am glad they did not detract from my score by dying horribly. On the other, it's strange that they weren't there.

This appears to be a generic problem (with some degree of randomness to it) where a large number of units are spawning. Sometimes the third faction units don't spawn at all. I suspect this has something to do with the number of spawn nodes on the map. I think some terrains are worse than the others. My earlier reports:

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=5047.msg164910#msg164910

Offline CrazedHarpooner

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: September 23, 2024, 04:59:23 pm »
NOOBERIA_EXIT mapScript is defined twice in the ruleset. Both definitions are practically identical with the small difference being when the group 8 block is added, either at the start in case of the 1st definition or near the end, just before the fillArea command in the 2nd definition.
1883:   - type: NOOBERIA_EXIT
1884:     commands:
1885:     - type: addBlock
1886:       groups: 8
1887:     - type: addBlock
1888:       size: 2
1889:       groups: 5
1890:     - type: addUFO
1891:     - type: addCraft
1892:     - type: addBlock
1893:       groups: 6
1894:       executions: 3
1895:     - type: fillArea
1920:   - type: NOOBERIA_EXIT
1921:     commands:
1922:     - type: addBlock
1923:       size: 2
1924:       groups: 5
1925:     - type: addUFO
1926:     - type: addCraft
1927:     - type: addBlock
1928:       groups: 6
1929:       executions: 3
1930:     - type: addBlock
1931:       groups: 8
1932:     - type: fillArea

Offline hairybert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: September 23, 2024, 06:04:13 pm »
Researching Zombie Boomer gives:
"[...] these pitiful creations only live for a few hours. [...]"

But in fact, the zombie boomer can be kept forever in the animal pen. It would be more logical if the animal pen explodes a few hours after the zombie boomer was put there (but of course, this might be hard to impossible to implement...). Probably the next best solution is that the zombie boomer is not allowed to be stored in the animal pen (neither anywhere else). In this way, the zombie boomer tech would not be accessible any more. To avoid this, one could give it as a bonus topic to Syndicate Scientists, for example.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4297 on: September 25, 2024, 01:22:48 pm »
X-Com Files 3.4.1
OXCE 7.14
Veteran's level, no any other mods/tweaks/cheats.

Firast of all, this mod is really amazing, this is probably the best thing I've played in the last 5 years or more, it's even strange that I discovered it so late (I played the original XCom back in the late 90s).

First of all, welcome to the forums and thank you for the kind words. The mod is still far from perfect, so I'm happy to hear people like it.

This post arguably feels like it fits the main thread better, but I'll leave it here for clarity.

2/10/1999 and mission "MiB Attack on a M.A.G.M.A. Base"...
Seriously? Your 6 agents can only have something like M16, taser cannon, holy beads and pepper spray vs MiB Heavy Troopers equipped super-duper alien rocket launchers with a splash on a quarter of the map.
This mission can only be completed by cheating, and the penalty for ignoring it is 1500 (!), which is approximately equal to grinding ALL missions for a month...

This is a typical situation, not just with this mission. If you expands aggressively (punching up), you may find yourself facing challenges not meant for your current level. This is expected, just fall back and get better gear for the next time it appears (abort penalty is only 50, plus the normal penalty for abandoned neutral units).

The same goes for MiBs attacks on your bases in 1999.
I was already forced to restart the game after two months of play, when they successively destroyed my two main bases with all their contents, and I did not yet have the technology to shoot down their dropships.

That's a different matter; most likely you provoked them by shooting down their craft, so they retaliate. It's a nasty battle, but doable in 1999.

Missions to capture regular cultist bases (not HQs) also become quite funny at some point due to the looping generation of military reinforcements, my personal record is 85 killed enemies per such mission and apparently this is far from the limit.

They aren't looping, there's a set number that will appear gradually. But yeah, it can get quite high.

I used mortarmen en masse (like 3-4 per such mission) and one of them managed to destroy 11 enemies in one shot.

Congrats! :)

I noticed according to the Wiki, Scoped Hunting Rifle is missing the Trooper commendation, while it's predecessor the Hunting Rifle has it.  Was that intentional?

EDIT: Also, I think Alien Food is incorrectly tagged as Components.

Good points, both are fixed now.

mapScript ALIENBIGBASEGROWN has an issue in this part: (...)

Thanks a lot, this is very useful. Included your fixes in the mod.

Researching a live muckstar: "This completely alien creature [...]"

Muckstar autopsy: "This creature appears completely alien, but in fact is a heavily modified coral. [...]"

Is this inconsistency (muckstar is alien vs. is not) by intention?

Lazy writing... Thanks, will improve.

NOOBERIA_EXIT mapScript is defined twice in the ruleset. Both definitions are practically identical with the small difference being when the group 8 block is added, either at the start in case of the 1st definition or near the end, just before the fillArea command in the 2nd definition.

I am potato :P
Fixed.

Researching Zombie Boomer gives:
"[...] these pitiful creations only live for a few hours. [...]"

But in fact, the zombie boomer can be kept forever in the animal pen. It would be more logical if the animal pen explodes a few hours after the zombie boomer was put there (but of course, this might be hard to impossible to implement...). Probably the next best solution is that the zombie boomer is not allowed to be stored in the animal pen (neither anywhere else). In this way, the zombie boomer tech would not be accessible any more. To avoid this, one could give it as a bonus topic to Syndicate Scientists, for example.

Zombies in general have very short life span. I dunno, maybe X-Com puts them on ice?

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: September 25, 2024, 06:11:43 pm »
Speaking of item categories, there are some items which are essentially just clutter but can be placed as combat equipment on craft. While some these have some weird combat usage, no-one would be using them for such. I'd prefer if the craft equipping screen was a bit cleaner. For example:

- cell phone
- mysterious skull
- spiderweb
- skull
- big bone

.. the list goes on, and I'd at least personally appreciate it if the list of items was reviewed and cleaned up from the perspective "should I be able and want to use this as combat equipment on a craft?"

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: September 28, 2024, 12:16:54 pm »
Speaking of item categories, there are some items which are essentially just clutter but can be placed as combat equipment on craft. While some these have some weird combat usage, no-one would be using them for such. I'd prefer if the craft equipping screen was a bit cleaner. For example:

- cell phone
- mysterious skull
- spiderweb
- skull
- big bone

.. the list goes on, and I'd at least personally appreciate it if the list of items was reviewed and cleaned up from the perspective "should I be able and want to use this as combat equipment on a craft?"

The rationale is that you might want to move this kind of stuff on board of a craft, rather than send it via transfers. I don't know if people actually do that, but I wouldn't want to take away this option.

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: September 28, 2024, 12:33:15 pm »
The rationale is that you might want to move this kind of stuff on board of a craft, rather than send it via transfers. I don't know if people actually do that, but I wouldn't want to take away this option.

There is a niche case of moving a researchable item from one base to another using a craft instead of transfer. Except those who want to play Transport Tycoon, of course. That is, being able to research something ASAP while having faster crafts (i.e. kitsune+). In certain corner case this might help (you arrive with craft a day earlier than via transfer and can squeeze in an extra day of research). But this scenario is already now woefully incomplete, because you cannot move, for example, enemy bodies from one base to another, and that's a good thing. Personally I'd just rip out this questional functionality and make the experience better for the vast majority, and let those two people that want it to create a submod for it if they really care about it.

Offline Barghum

• Captain
  • Doing my best to help (:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: September 29, 2024, 02:00:09 am »
the FN Minimi Ufopaedia article uses the term "bullets" where the term "round" should be as is shown below

current text: "It fires the 5.56mm NATO bullets."

all of the following are fixes:

1. "It fires the 5.56mm NATO round."

2. "It fires 5.56mm NATO bullets."

3. "It fires 5.56mm NATO rounds."

4. "It fires the 5.56X45mm NATO round."

5. "It fires the 5.56X45mm NATO bullet"

6. "It fires 5.56X45mm NATO bullets"

although it could be improved with:  "It fires 5.56X45mm NATO rounds from a 100 ammo box."

or:  "It fires 5.56X45mm NATO bullets from a 100 ammo box."

welp that's all I have to say.  :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: September 30, 2024, 03:02:05 pm »
Thanks Barghum, I'll change it.

Offline Blazen

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: October 02, 2024, 11:09:46 am »
A slight map bug, one of the ladders on the industrial map doesn't actually allow you to go up.

Offline CrazedHarpooner

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: October 02, 2024, 04:26:59 pm »
Apparently I missed mentioning the script issue in ALIENBIGBASEGROWN is also present in ALIENBIGBASEGROWNHANGAR. Since they're essentially the same script just with the added map size (from the deployment) and main hangar mapBlock, the script fixes are the same. And because they share the same mapBlocks, the fixes for the particular issues with the connector mapBlocks are already in place.