Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1113654 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3900 on: October 27, 2023, 10:59:49 am »
The clip very much needs to be researched to be manufactured, and your save doesn't say what you claim it says.

manufacture_XCOMFILES.rul:
  - name: STR_HUMAN_SONIC_SHOTGUN_FOCUSED_CLIP
    category: STR_BATTERIES
    requires:
      - STR_HUMAN_SONIC_SHOTGUN
      - STR_HUMAN_SONIC_FOCUSED_FIRE
      - STR_HUMAN_SONIC_SHOTGUN_FOCUSED_CLIP
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 11:01:21 am by Juku121 »

Offline Ronios

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: October 27, 2023, 12:57:05 pm »
Yes, see Mutual Surprise. Although he couldn't have seen an agent through the corner before entering, or the 'surprise' wouldn't work.
Thanks for the tip. I completely forgot that for the surprise to work, all you have to do is see someone.

And I would be very grateful if you could correctly formulate the issue with visibility in the OXCE subforum.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: October 27, 2023, 01:24:09 pm »
And I would be very grateful if you could correctly formulate the issue with visibility in the OXCE subforum.
Done.

Offline Nerro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: October 27, 2023, 02:42:04 pm »
The clip very much needs to be researched to be manufactured, and your save doesn't say what you claim it says.

manufacture_XCOMFILES.rul:
    requires:

Intresting. ???
Have you tried to manufacture it in my save? Because I can when I try to do it. Maybe its an OXCE bug then, not XCF.
Screen capture of the manufaturing screen attached (don't mind the confused guy at the bottom)
Also, video of the bug, since there is a video XD
https://youtu.be/Zvn2edC_yaE?si=gJDZA7xu3l-5YUHf&t=5370

Edit:
My manufacture_XCOMFILES.rul file:
Code: [Select]
    requires:
I have 3.1, but on the github, it shows the same has your version, so I guess it has already been changed at some point?

Edit2:
3.2: [...] Fixed Sonic Shotgun Focused Clip manufacturing prerequisites
I guess my report is late :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 03:13:20 pm by Nerro »

Offline Nerro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: October 27, 2023, 03:00:31 pm »
So now that I'm looking at the Github:
  - name: STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_HUMAN_SONIC_SHOTGUN_FOCUSED_CLIP
    category: STR_DISASSEMBLY
    requires:
      - STR_ZRBITE

Maybe that should be change to:
  - name: STR_BREAKDOWN_STR_HUMAN_SONIC_SHOTGUN_FOCUSED_CLIP
    category: STR_DISASSEMBLY
    requires:
      - STR_ZRBITE
This would make sure it is obtained at the same time as the clip manufacture and works the same as the Cannon Focused Clip.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 03:12:54 pm by Nerro »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: October 27, 2023, 07:52:12 pm »
I guess my report is late :)
Indeed. Forgot to check the history. :-[

[Zrbite disassembly]
I think I'm to blame for this, since I provided the original ruleset gruntwork for Zrbite disassembly. :-[

It probably should be just this (and the focused cannon clip, too):

requires:

Almost all other disassembly is 'clip + Zrbite/Elerium', base human sonic ammo is 'weapon + Zrbite' since there is no clip to be researched, and obviously focused clips do have research. Even the Zrbite requirement can be dropped, since human sonics already require Zrbite research as part of Sonic Weapons Calibration.

issue with visibility
So, this is a performance thing. What you see is not necessarily what you get because otherwise you'd sit there twiddling your thumbs while OXCE degenerates into a game of 'check all the voxels'. Probably an 'it was like this in the original' thing, too.

The only alternate solution I see is for Solarius to test the voxels of all enemies and walls, case by case, thousands of combinations by hand, fix discrepancies by changing LOFTEMPs adding a few more voxels when someone is visible from the left but not from the right, from inside and not the outside... and go stark raving mad a few weeks into that. If not earlier. ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 08:01:01 pm by Juku121 »

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: October 30, 2023, 08:46:57 pm »
Is it intentional that when you go with Viper to the Reptoid Fringe mission, the craft blocks your way out of the cave?
There is no way to get around it and apparently the only way to go on would be digging and/or hi-ex.

EDIT: hi-ex appears very unreliable at best, because you also blow holes to the floor and cannot go forward. Unless your armors allow flying, the only choice forward appears to be some kind of digging.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 08:57:05 pm by psavola »

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: October 30, 2023, 11:31:19 pm »
Is it intentional that when you go with Viper to the Reptoid Fringe mission, the craft blocks your way out of the cave?
There is no way to get around it and apparently the only way to go on would be digging and/or hi-ex.
I avoid using Hi-Ex (or any other explosives) on these maps precisely for the reasons you mention. The explosion trend to create holes where the player don't want them.
As per the craft map, it's possible the tile setting doesn't allow for diagonal passage. Fortunately, the mission where the Viper is needed happens only once, I think. I solved it myself by shooting the offending wall with my Gauss Sniper Rifle. Very little survives more than one shot. I suspect you can use other stuff as well as a pick-axe.

Offline Spudster

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Points Bug: Xfiles project gets cancelled by month 2
« Reply #3908 on: October 31, 2023, 04:08:37 am »
Heyo, decided to reinstall openxcom and openxcom extended in order to give the xfiles mod another go. Unfortunately I seem to be getting some bug where cult activity gives me -300 points several times a month. I'm going to all the cult missions and capturing all the people, but the messages keep coming up. Growing cult influence or something. Photo attached, along with a save file. Any help would be much appreciated!

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: October 31, 2023, 09:36:44 am »
Two possibilities: the messages are coming up at most twice per month per cult, which means everything is working as intended, you're taking your sweet time researching your way up the cultist tech tree (whether deliberately or due to bad RNG), and the Council is giving you a kick in the rear to make you shape up. So take the hint.

The alternative is that you're getting spammed with events, cult and otherwise, because you're using an ancient or forked version of OXCE (last time this happened, someone was somehow playing with FtA :o ). In that case, get yourself a modern mainline version.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 09:38:45 am by Juku121 »

Offline Kozinsky

• Captain
  • Sorry for my bEd English
    • View Profile
Re: Points Bug: Xfiles project gets cancelled by month 2
« Reply #3910 on: October 31, 2023, 10:16:03 am »
Heyo, decided to reinstall openxcom and openxcom extended in order to give the xfiles mod another go. Unfortunately I seem to be getting some bug where cult activity gives me -300 points several times a month. I'm going to all the cult missions and capturing all the people, but the messages keep coming up. Growing cult influence or something. Photo attached, along with a save file. Any help would be much appreciated!
You're using a very, very ancient version of OXCE:
version: Extended 7.0
build: " (v2021-03-13)"

Offline Spudster

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: November 01, 2023, 02:14:16 am »
Thanks! Updated to the new version and it's working now.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3912 on: November 02, 2023, 12:49:58 pm »
I was not asking to write a treatise. I was asking if the mod is supposed to have some logic behind melee weapon 0-200% or 50-150% damage rolls (yes/no). If the answer is yes, it would have been nice a hear a one-sentence summary of what it is supposed to be, because I couldn't find anything obvious. But even if the logic could not be summarized, I was asking if the melee weapon damage ranges could be fixed to conform to that logic (whatever it is). To me, the best logic would be to have either 0-200 or 50-150 but not both.

A short answer? Okay:

As I said, the are numerous similar melee weapons that have the same properties against armor, but nothing is said in their descriptions (or seem even weaker). If you wanted to approach this logically, there would be essentially three choices: 1) remove the text which is misleading (it has no special properties to warrant the description), 2) add some anti-armor properties to the blade to make the description to be correct (for example, anti-armor 0.8 would make it consistent with tritanium knives), or 3) go through other melee weapons which have default anti-armor settings and make them less efficient against armor.

Very well, I will remove the second sentence.

My intention has been to point out inconsistencies in addition to obvious bugs, because I thought the purpose of the mod and this thread is to make gradual improvements. I'd hope that inconsistencies would be fixed somehow. I don't need a precise description of the logic behind the mod, if there is supposed to be one. But if there isn't supposed to be a logic and/or you have no interest in trying to apply a logic in any case, then I can certainly stop pointing them out.

As you see, I can be persuaded where a relevant point is made. And thanks for pointing out the issues, I definitely find it useful.

Fair point. 500 is a pretty big hit. Other missions similar such as madman I don't believe are even half that, well maybe -300.

Is it big? XCF doesn't care about your score, as long as you keep your head above water (as opposed to, say, Piratez, which give you more money for a better score). Frankly I find this penalty rather inconsequential on most occasions, unless you are having a really bad month.

Speaking of Solarius...'Realism'? To avoid 'fake difficulty'? I mean, it's a rather underhanded way of providing a surprise. I wouldn't mind if one out of all the chainsawbots on the map carried e.g. a minigun and suprised the player, that'd be both fair and would remain a surprise even after you've seen it once ("Which one is it? Is this one safe? What about this one? Aaahhh, the suspense is killing me!" ;D ). Mind bullets chainsaws on all of them, not so much.

That's kind of a silly argument. Sorry, but falling to your own assumptions is your own fault, when these assumptions were made too hastily.

First, I want to decide what is right and what is wrong. In the first screenshot, 2 agents look at the marked cell (to the west, as far as I understand) and see it. In the 2nd and 3rd screenshots they are seen from the eyes, where you can see that they can see the center of the cell (if there is an enemy there, they will also see each other). In screenshot 4, they look at the corresponding cell inside the building and DO NOT see it (screenshots 5 and 6).
If we look to the north (left and down), we can again see through the corner, but not in the opposite direction.

I tried it on both types of walls on the 1st floor and did not notice any difference between them. I also didn’t notice the difference between the doorways and just a broken piece of wall.

Hmm, this is vanilla terrain (not the map, but terrain tiles), so it goes beyond the mod.
@Juku, thanks for the prompt action here.

It probably should be just this (and the focused cannon clip, too):

requires:

OK, clear!
I didn't realise it was about disassembly, so I didn't check.

The only alternate solution I see is for Solarius to test the voxels of all enemies and walls, case by case, thousands of combinations by hand, fix discrepancies by changing LOFTEMPs adding a few more voxels when someone is visible from the left but not from the right, from inside and not the outside... and go stark raving mad a few weeks into that. If not earlier. ;D

Or I could make consistent rules about how standard tiles (like walls) work... :D But I hope I already do.

EDIT: hi-ex appears very unreliable at best, because you also blow holes to the floor and cannot go forward. Unless your armors allow flying, the only choice forward appears to be some kind of digging.

Hmm, never happened to me, but I think it's fine - digging is pretty much standard operation for underground missions.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: November 02, 2023, 01:33:01 pm »
is it just me or is aim/hit zone more difficult when fighting against lobsters ?
Especially in the holiday resort terrain. When one is standing on the side of a hill, it is nearly impossible to connect an autoshot from very close range.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3914 on: November 02, 2023, 01:43:33 pm »
is it just me or is aim/hit zone more difficult when fighting against lobsters ?
Especially in the holiday resort terrain. When one is standing on the side of a hill, it is nearly impossible to connect an autoshot from very close range.

TFTD terrain. Always fun. -_-

To say anything more productive, I need a more specific scenario. A screenshot would be good.