aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071679 times)

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3600 on: March 26, 2023, 04:23:18 pm »
Well, everything looks okay except you do have the mission respawning again and again. The code book being non-researchable is WAD since you killed the demons.

Can you post your missionScripts_XCOMFILES.rul?

For further moon stuff and progression to endgame:
Spoiler:
You need to deal with the MiB base on the moon first. You should actually qualify for this, and the only thing that might be blocking you is the 20% chance of not getting the mission per month.

The Avenger is unlocked by interrogating one of the 'white' Ethereals. If their shiny UFOs don't spawn, there are some on the Moon missions that come afterwards.

Big thanks for taking a look at the save game Juku.
Here is the mission script file. Appreciate you.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: March 26, 2023, 04:39:27 pm »
No ammo. It's not a bug, it's more of a limitation in that ammo information isn't displayed until you can buy it, and looting+researching a Galil can happen much earlier.

So is being at Promo III to early to get the damage reported?  Of all the weapons I've researched, this was the first one to pop up without reporting the ammo/damage capability.  That kind of stood out after so many weapons were researched.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: March 26, 2023, 04:50:51 pm »
Okay, I figured it out. Solarius needs to fix his moon regions.

You're getting the UAC moon base instead of the MiB moon base, and are thus stuck instead of progressing. :(

Try these with the your save and see if the moon people change their allegiance.

So is being at Promo III to early to get the damage reported?  Of all the weapons I've researched, this was the first one to pop up without reporting the ammo/damage capability.  That kind of stood out after so many weapons were researched.
IDK, the mod is so random it's hard to predict an individual playthrough. You usually have some sort of 7.62x51 weapon by Promo III, but apparently not always.

I take it you never tried to secure a source of 7.62x51?

I imagine one could have Ufopedia display without the ability to buy the stuff, but that'd mean Solarius has to create a third research for all of these weapons. Doubt he's enthusiastic about that.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 04:52:59 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: March 26, 2023, 05:48:25 pm »
Quote from: Juku121
Okay, I figured it out. Solarius needs to fix his moon regions.

You're getting the UAC moon base instead of the MiB moon base, and are thus stuck instead of progressing. :(

Try these with the your save and see if the moon people change their allegiance.

Okay just copy/pasted these 2 files over the originals, let me give this a shot. Again, thanks a bunch bro.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: March 26, 2023, 05:57:46 pm »
No go bro. Getting a crash now. Attached screenshot.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: March 26, 2023, 07:53:07 pm »
Very strange. Can you do a quick battle with 'MiB Lunar Base Landing' and using 'Men in Black' as the race? Is there 'STR_MIB_LUNAR_BASE_LANDING' in your alienDeployments_XCOMFILES.rul?

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: March 26, 2023, 09:26:42 pm »
Very strange. Can you do a quick battle with 'MiB Lunar Base Landing' and using 'Men in Black' as the race? Is there 'STR_MIB_LUNAR_BASE_LANDING' in your alienDeployments_XCOMFILES.rul?

Sure but how do I do that ?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: March 26, 2023, 09:51:00 pm »
The quick battle? Like this.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: March 26, 2023, 11:20:36 pm »
The quick battle? Like this.
It's missing. That mission is not even listed. I looked at the whole list very well. Including the MIB sections and the Lunar missions.
But no MIB Lunar base landing.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: March 26, 2023, 11:24:46 pm »
Curious. Try grabbing the most recent version here.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: March 26, 2023, 11:41:00 pm »
Curious. Try grabbing the most recent version here.

Getting there.
Now it is visible in the menu, but clicking "start battle", get a crash

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: March 26, 2023, 11:45:05 pm »
At this point, I recommend reinstalling the whole thing from Github. I mean, we could chase these errors forever, but it seems something is messed up in either your installation or the 2.8 download.

You might get some 2.9 teething issues, but I doubt these will be worse than this.

If you want to be conservative, you could of course try getting alienRaces_XCOMFILES.rul from Github first, and then whatever throws an error next.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 11:49:24 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: March 27, 2023, 01:21:05 am »
At this point, I recommend reinstalling the whole thing from Github. I mean, we could chase these errors forever, but it seems something is messed up in either your installation or the 2.8 download.

You might get some 2.9 teething issues, but I doubt these will be worse than this.

If you want to be conservative, you could of course try getting alienRaces_XCOMFILES.rul from Github first, and then whatever throws an error next.

I agree with you and I thank you for all your help.
You mentioned reinstalling form github. I haven't downloaded an install from github before.
Is it like downloading from here (where I got it)
https://openxcom.mod.io/the-x-com-files

I also noticed this on github figured possibly might be connected, maybe not. Right now I'm just reaching
https://github.com/SolariusScorch/XComFiles/commit/95066daad0f0f1b50b049f61aa1d0fa51f88042f
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 01:23:54 am by Chuckebaby »

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: March 27, 2023, 01:22:29 am »

IDK, the mod is so random it's hard to predict an individual playthrough. You usually have some sort of 7.62x51 weapon by Promo III, but apparently not always.

I take it you never tried to secure a source of 7.62x51?

I imagine one could have Ufopedia display without the ability to buy the stuff, but that'd mean Solarius has to create a third research for all of these weapons. Doubt he's enthusiastic about that.

Hard to say if I have.  I'll take a look, but it sounds like this is a minor issue, so I won't worry about it.  It was just rather jarring to show up like that all of sudden.

Thanks for the help though.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: March 27, 2023, 04:23:58 am »
Is it like downloading from here (where I got it)
https://openxcom.mod.io/the-x-com-files
More or less. Github is a little less convenient and not really meant for mass distribution, so finding the download (code -> download ZIP) or trying to get it together with 1 000 000 friends could be a bit more trouble.

Essentially, you'll maybe have a different mod directory name ('XComFiles-master'), and that's it.

I also noticed this on github figured possibly might be connected, maybe not.
Yeah, that might be it. Apparently the MiB mission was renamed some time ago. Long enough that when I got 2.8 from Github, it was already done.

It was just rather jarring to show up like that all of sudden.
Well, it's the price you pay for ammo showing up in the pedia as you research it (like alloy buckshot or Elerium grenades missing when you first get the corresponding weapon). Solarius could perhaps fix it, but IMO it looks like a whole bunch of work for little benefit.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 04:27:06 am by Juku121 »