Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1096556 times)

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3510 on: February 02, 2023, 10:28:35 pm »
Psi sense? Do you mean psivison?

Can you elaborate what you are referring to?

The only "dog" armor I can find that even has psivision is  STR_THE_THING_DOG_ARMOR - and that isn't a regular X-COM armor and in line with the other THE_THING armors.

I think I got it. It's just not clear why this parameter is specified in the article with the name "dog".

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: February 02, 2023, 10:44:34 pm »
Which article? The regular "Unarmored (dog)" brief has the default value of 0 for psi-vision. And there's no article for any of the Metamorph armours.

Edit: I think Sectopods are missing 'prisonType: 4'. Unless there's some clever explanation why True Alien Sectopods™ are driven by tiny Sectoids while Cyberdiscs and MiB Sectopods aren't.

Also, since robots have containment limits now, STR_CONTAINMENT_EXCEEDED_4 needs writing.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 11:25:37 pm by Juku121 »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: February 02, 2023, 11:43:07 pm »
I think I got it. It's just not clear why this parameter is specified in the article with the name "dog".

Yeah, what "article" are you talking about? Can you post a screenshot of what you are referring to?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: February 04, 2023, 10:10:39 pm »
Cant you simply drain the soldier T.U's ?
Be the same thing ?

Why are you asking me instead of whoever was requesting a per-weapon toggle for reaction fire?

@Solarius
Is the hybrid embassy supposed to yield multiple millions in loot? I haven't checked which tiles get recoverd as alien navigation, but I ended up with ~40 of those and hundreds of alien gardens. Not that I'm complaining, but this seems slightly unbalanced.

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: February 05, 2023, 12:56:51 pm »
@Solarius
Is the hybrid embassy supposed to yield multiple millions in loot? I haven't checked which tiles get recoverd as alien navigation, but I ended up with ~40 of those and hundreds of alien gardens. Not that I'm complaining, but this seems slightly unbalanced.
I believe so, yes. This mod takes a very negative stance on the usual method of earning money through producing goods to sell. So your primary source of income will be bags and suitcases of cash and loot captured from manors.

Speaking of things that might not be what they are supposed to be is Blood Boosting supposed to be a trap? It disables access to several really useful improvements including the Helix Knight and yet offers very little in return.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 12:59:17 pm by PPQ »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: February 05, 2023, 01:18:23 pm »
Given that alien bases don't give such amounts of UFO Navigation, although they do provide comparable amounts of Gardens, I suspect this is not entirely intentional. I mean, yes, Hybrid embassies are kinda tough and more advanced than your garden-variety manor, but not that much tougher.

As to Blood Boosting, well, since nothing has happened since it was last mentioned, I guess it's roughly where it's supposed to be. :-\

Edit: The navigation culprit seems to be this, which gives four units of UFO Navigation apiece. Maybe make only one of the pieces give out navigation? Or add an extra table that does, put in front of the big room and leave the others as just decoration? I mean, the purple alien versions in alien bases don't seem to give any.

Edit2: Actually, alien bases don't seem to give out any navigation at all, despite it being present in UFOs or those purple tables. Not sure how, why, or why it's different from embassies.

Edit3: Okay, now I know. Vanilla behaviour, the tables (and apparently also any UFOs that have landed in the base) are the mission objective for destroying the base and get eaten before debriefing. Hybrid embassies don't have the same mission type, although MiB bases and Towers of Desolation do.

I'm making my bases have 'allowObjectiveRecovery: true' and dividing the yield by at least 2. 10 for embassies.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 02:45:49 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: February 05, 2023, 03:20:50 pm »
Sometimes an imbalance adds a certain interest. Making all aspects of the game predictably balanced makes the game bland. A simple example is the input of a laser sniper rifle. There was a certain charm in the fact that a sniper rifle appears only in turbolasers. Now this moment has become insipid. The same applies to heavy turbolaser weapons. There was a certain charm in the fact that turbolasers, although top against ethereals and sectopods, but they did not have heavy guns. Now that charm is gone.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: February 05, 2023, 05:58:09 pm »
Edit3: Okay, now I know. Vanilla behaviour, the tables (and apparently also any UFOs that have landed in the base) are the mission objective for destroying the base and get eaten before debriefing. Hybrid embassies don't have the same mission type, although MiB bases and Towers of Desolation do.

I'm making my bases have 'allowObjectiveRecovery: true' and dividing the yield by at least 2. 10 for embassies.
Yeah, thought as much. I don't see how it makes sense for embassies to have this high of a yield in comparison either, maybe Solarius can address this in the next version?

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: February 05, 2023, 07:36:08 pm »
I think a good argument can be made for a little extra gift in this game, should be welcomed. Such as the loot recovered from Hybrid bases.
There are enough things to fight with in this game and early hybrid bases (embassy's) can be a real game saver in the middle of a campaign.
Not so much towards the end of the game but in the middle.

It's also a good way to salvage a bad month. I've literally let Hybrid embassy's lay idle till months end in case I'm having a slow month (to boost score and loot).

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: February 05, 2023, 07:40:05 pm »
So if anything, I would welcome the change 3/4 into the game. But I don't think that's really possible, IDK, maybe it is. But thought Hybrid Embassy's were random generated (unlike moon missions, etc.) which are generated after a certain point.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: February 05, 2023, 07:59:28 pm »
The thing isn't that "gifts" aren't "nice".

The thing is that don't really fit in with the rest of the game (e.g. alien bases, other bases), not to mention this simply being unbalanced (the single hybrid emabssy yielded about twice my monthly surplus funding). It's simply not "a little extra gift" like for example early game landed UFOs. It also begs the question why hybrid embassies need this many gardens and navigation lore-wise.

This also isn't time tile recovery values are incorrect, see earlier map issues with terramite, gardens etc.

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: February 05, 2023, 09:47:08 pm »
Some of us just enjoy the game not being super turbo hard all the time.

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: February 05, 2023, 10:20:14 pm »
I do not consider the abundant reward for the embassy of hybrids to be something bad. But if it bothers you, then I have an elegant solution. It is enough to increase the chance of spawning rooms with plasma turrets. Guaranteed spawn of 2-3 turrets will immediately make the extraction deserved.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: February 05, 2023, 10:41:17 pm »
The biggest complaint I've seen (and experienced myself) when playing this game was it's balance, which has been debated to death (so I'll refrain from going into detail).
This has to be my favorite mod but it can be extremely challenging at times, especially loot and score. The extra gifts in this game are a small bone being thrown at us. I for one have no issues with that. I actually welcome it.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: February 05, 2023, 11:18:04 pm »
Some of us just enjoy the game not being super turbo hard all the time.
Not playing on superhuman ironman might help. Not getting 8+ millions from an alien base hardly equals "super hard gameplay".

I do not consider the abundant reward for the embassy of hybrids to be something bad. But if it bothers you, then I have an elegant solution. It is enough to increase the chance of spawning rooms with plasma turrets. Guaranteed spawn of 2-3 turrets will immediately make the extraction deserved.
This is not about simply "bothering" me, this is an outright bug. I already mentioned that this isn't the first time recovery of tiles has been messed up and needed fixing:

0.9.6: Updated to OXCE 5.1. Rolled AI types into one, thus allowing training from the start. [...]Terramite and Aqua Plastics are now recovered at proper amounts. New explosion animation for the Boomeroid[...]

0.9.8f: New Staff Input (by Mumble). New weapon: Shogg Stingrifle. Improved Muckstar and Megaworm pictures (by Nord).[...]Fixed recovery dividers for Aqua-Plastics and Terramite. Minor fixes.

This is related to improper tile recovery amounts.