Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071676 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #2790 on: January 31, 2021, 01:52:14 pm »
It's a pity you can't stick stats in INFO.
Tired of visiting every time https://thexcomfileswiki.github.io/
I just thought that if you can show the value of "night vision", you can also other stats

NV is an armour property, not a unit property.

Anyway, why do you need to check the stats so badly? I understand armours, because they help see if your weapon will work, but why do you care so much about an enemy's exact strength or accuracy? Is it just curiosity, or something else?

I suggest making a new item. An analogue of a mind probe, but with clipped capabilities. You can give the opportunity to purchase after "postup 1".
Binoculars!! Designed for the early game. Although, in fact, if you make adequate sizes in the inventory (1x2 or 2x1), it can completely replace the mind probe. Allows you to see the stats (not completely) and the rank of the enemy. Works only with line of sight.
Possible stats for viewing:
HP - evaluate the appearance of the enemy and understand how bad he is
Fatal wounds - if the head bleeds... it is clear that the enemy is bleeding...
TU and Energy - in appearance you can understand that the enemy is out of breath.
Morality and sanity - if the enemy is pissing in his pants... obviously he is afraid...

No idea how to do that in the first place...

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: January 31, 2021, 02:21:58 pm »
Code: [Select]
It's a pity you can't stick stats in INFO.In new OXCE you can in some aspect do this, some time ago I added option for scripts to add new lines in public part of INFO screen.
At least you could show properties that are already available in scripts. One problem is that it will be hard to check in one article if some other is available.
You can do this is specific case but in universal script its currently impossible.

Offline EmoNewtype

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: January 31, 2021, 08:00:11 pm »
Followup to my previous post, the Coelacanth Gas Cannon, Drone Meds, Drone Fire Extinguisher, and Drone Rocket Launcher are also unviewable in ufopedia and info tabs

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: February 01, 2021, 02:43:10 pm »
Thanks, should be fixed.

Offline Bonakva

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: February 01, 2021, 02:56:14 pm »
-Send a tank to defend the house?
-Yep!
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: February 01, 2021, 06:04:19 pm »
-Send a tank to defend the house?
-Yep!
 ;D ;D ;D

This isnt a bug, but a feature, force fire with HWP main weapon to the wall and you can drive out and chase Exalt/Syndicate forces.

Offline EmoNewtype

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: February 01, 2021, 07:32:10 pm »
Went to a Reptoid Fringe Settlement using the Snapping Turtle, spawned in an area that could not be exited without breaking through multiple walls. In doing so, I also blew a hole in the floor that doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: February 03, 2021, 10:17:13 am »
This isnt a bug, but a feature, force fire with HWP main weapon to the wall and you can drive out and chase Exalt/Syndicate forces.

No, it is obviously a bug, unless you think X-Com carried this tank inside in small pieces.

Went to a Reptoid Fringe Settlement using the Snapping Turtle, spawned in an area that could not be exited without breaking through multiple walls. In doing so, I also blew a hole in the floor that doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Hmm, yeah, pretty awkward...

Offline Empiro

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: February 04, 2021, 08:55:58 am »
NV is an armour property, not a unit property.

Anyway, why do you need to check the stats so badly? I understand armours, because they help see if your weapon will work, but why do you care so much about an enemy's exact strength or accuracy? Is it just curiosity, or something else?

No idea how to do that in the first place...

I think it's fine that you don't know the exact stats and things like the rank since there are already ways to do that within the game using the Mind Probe. In some cases though, lack of stats makes some of the entries a lot less helpful. For example, when it comes to zombie attacks, they do 0 base damage, but get a bonus from strength. If you have no idea what the strength of the zombie is, then you have no idea how dangerous that attack is.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: February 04, 2021, 11:22:12 am »
I think it's fine that you don't know the exact stats and things like the rank since there are already ways to do that within the game using the Mind Probe. In some cases though, lack of stats makes some of the entries a lot less helpful. For example, when it comes to zombie attacks, they do 0 base damage, but get a bonus from strength. If you have no idea what the strength of the zombie is, then you have no idea how dangerous that attack is.

So how much damage does Reaper do in vanilla? Or the Chryssalid? We players had no idea, nor cared. "Damage: death" was good enough.

Offline Doc

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: February 05, 2021, 08:06:56 am »
So how much damage does Reaper do in vanilla? Or the Chryssalid? We players had no idea, nor cared. "Damage: death" was good enough.

It does make me wonder what I'm paying these lab nerds for. If they've had a month or so to study a creature I'd at least like a summary report of basic characteristics relevant to field agents: how fast is it, about how many service sidearm rounds to put one down, how easily can it rip apart a well dressed agent and so forth.

Offline Bonakva

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: February 05, 2021, 01:09:57 pm »
It does make me wonder what I'm paying these lab nerds for. If they've had a month or so to study a creature I'd at least like a summary report of basic characteristics relevant to field agents: how fast is it, about how many service sidearm rounds to put one down, how easily can it rip apart a well dressed agent and so forth.

Exactly!
If scientists provide a report, then let it be a full report.
I mostly go to the wiki to see the stats for determining the danger of an enemy.
HP in order to understand how many shots will have to be fired. If there are 2 enemies in front of me and I can shoot 1 time, I will open fire on the one with less HP. Fewer enemies, more chances to survive.
Melee and ranged stats. They help to understand whether to go hand-to-hand. For example, you can engage in close combat with sectoids. In close combat, they will almost never be able to shoot
Reactions. Helps to understand if the soldier can shoot first

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: February 05, 2021, 03:41:48 pm »
OK, so it's curiosity. Which is fine, I am not criticizing it, I don't think it's wrong or anything like that. :)

But as I said, to get this info we'd need a separate, hand-made article for every single unit. With lots of numbers. Which is something I'm really not prepared to do, it's possibly the worst kind of modding work I can imagine, sorry.

Offline Bonakva

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: February 07, 2021, 05:36:40 pm »
Solarius, when storming the "red dawn" base my game slows down a lot, is this due to the large number of units on the map? The movement of my soldiers is very slow, it is sad. Is the slowdown due to the characteristics of the computer or is it due to the game code?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: February 08, 2021, 02:54:15 pm »
Solarius, when storming the "red dawn" base my game slows down a lot, is this due to the large number of units on the map? The movement of my soldiers is very slow, it is sad. Is the slowdown due to the characteristics of the computer or is it due to the game code?

I can't say for sure. Usually this is caused by very tall maps (because of all the sight calcs), but this one is not particularly tall.

I haven't noticed any noticeable slowdown on it, though.