Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071665 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #2775 on: January 24, 2021, 06:24:39 pm »
Secret mission in a ski resort

Vanilla map. ;D

Offline Creature

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: January 26, 2021, 05:14:56 pm »
Some weapons require additional cult arms dealership research.

Maybe i'm blind, but it not there. I have ready research akm & have an item in warehouse, but haven't got an access to research dealership to buy them in market.

Offline Bonakva

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: January 26, 2021, 09:29:52 pm »
When attacking the Red Dawn Base, movement speed drops noticeably. Does anyone have a similar problem?
I have a calculator, but such lags are very surprising

Offline Bonakva

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: January 28, 2021, 06:06:01 pm »
I opened and interrogated the sectoid. By pressing MMB I can see what weapon the enemy is using. When I click on a picture of an alien, I see its characteristics from ufopedia.
But for some reason I can't see all the sectoids. Some Sectoids cannot be seen. This is mistake?
Perhaps this is due to the rank ... I cannot view the sectoids of the medic and the leader. Soldiers, navigators and engineers are working as they should.
This is mistake?

Are there any basic tactics for determining the rank of sectoids?
I would like to be able to view ranks and base stats through MMB (this is sorely lacking)

I have already been trying to capture an engineer for several missions, every time I kill like an ordinary soldier ... Capturing everyone is too dangerous, but if I knew that the engineer was in front of me, I would "prepare" him properly.

Offline Empiro

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: January 29, 2021, 01:22:12 am »
You will need to get the mind probe to determine the exact alien rank. Some alien ranks also look visibly different than the others (usually color somewhere). I haven't noticed if the sectoids ranks look different, though.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: January 29, 2021, 05:16:10 pm »
I opened and interrogated the sectoid. By pressing MMB I can see what weapon the enemy is using. When I click on a picture of an alien, I see its characteristics from ufopedia.
But for some reason I can't see all the sectoids. Some Sectoids cannot be seen. This is mistake?
Perhaps this is due to the rank ... I cannot view the sectoids of the medic and the leader. Soldiers, navigators and engineers are working as they should.
This is mistake?

It's not a mistake. But you're right: it's related to alien ranks. Or more accurately, alien armours. For Sectoids, Medics, Leaders, Commanders and Guardians use non-standard armours, which have no Pedia pages, and therefore there's nothing to display.
I could add Pedia pages for these, but they only differ in forcefield power, so I'm not sure if I should.

Are there any basic tactics for determining the rank of sectoids?
I would like to be able to view ranks and base stats through MMB (this is sorely lacking)

Using a Mind Probe is pretty basic. :P

I have already been trying to capture an engineer for several missions, every time I kill like an ordinary soldier ... Capturing everyone is too dangerous, but if I knew that the engineer was in front of me, I would "prepare" him properly.

If it was easy, it wouldn't be worth adding as a feature! :)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: January 29, 2021, 05:49:59 pm »
I could add Pedia pages for these, but they only differ in forcefield power, so I'm not sure if I should.

Why not use the "ufopediaType" parameter on their armors, and just note that higher ranks will have higher shield values?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: January 29, 2021, 06:08:16 pm »
Why not use the "ufopediaType" parameter on their armors, and just note that higher ranks will have higher shield values?

Huh, this exists? OK then.

Offline Bonakva

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: January 29, 2021, 06:33:10 pm »
Using a Mind Probe is pretty basic. :P
It always seemed strange to me that after opening and interrogating the aliens, all that we learn about them is armor. And in order to find out the main characteristics, you must use the item.
I do not mind finding out characteristics with the help of an item, for example, checking health after a shot. But I would like to know the basic characteristics in ufopedia. At the moment, I have to use Wikipedia every time to find out the characteristics of this or that enemy. Very dreary and inconvenient.

In fact, I've always thought it was silly to use an item.
Are the soldiers unable to distinguish the rank of the enemy or his damage in appearance?

I think it is worth adding help for all enemies in ufopedia. You never know when it is beneficial to know damage resistance. Especially in the early game.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 06:36:46 pm by Bonakva »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: January 29, 2021, 08:09:14 pm »
I'm honestly not sure what you mean, but if it's about adding Pedia info for those armours of high rank enemies, then I did that already; the change is on GitHub.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: January 29, 2021, 08:50:30 pm »
Some specific ranks of the aliens have visible changes, like differently-colored backpacks, a tiara in the Sectoids' case, and so on.

Offline Bonakva

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: January 29, 2021, 09:44:27 pm »
I meant to show all stats in INFO after examining the corpse and interrogating it. Basic, just to know the amount of hp, reactions and other stats. Relatively speaking, when the corpse of the enemy has been thoroughly dissected, you can find out all its characteristics, and not just armor.
If you need to know the stats in more detail after applying the shot, the mind probe will help.

Never understood the mind probe. Its research takes a long time and, as a result, it is almost never used. These are almost ordinary binoculars with the ability to determine stats .... Its only use is to find an enemy with the required rank.

How do you like this idea?
1) Binoculars work in direct line of sight determines the hp and rank of the enemy (perhaps action points and endurance, for example, the enemy is out of breath).
2) The Mind Probe works in a non-line of sight and detects all stats for obvious reasons.

P.S. Give a link to GitHub please
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 10:02:28 pm by Bonakva »

Offline EmoNewtype

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: January 30, 2021, 11:19:06 am »
Noticed that the HWP Minirocket Launcher (Hover) trains throwing experience, but the Tank version trains firing. Is that intentional? Additionally, the following HWP weapons cannot be viewed in the pedia or the info screen, even in New Battle mode: HWP Tritanium Rocket Launcher,  HWP Minirocket Launcher (Hover), HWP Flamer (Hover).

Edit: this is using 1.7b, not the github version
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 11:23:57 am by EmoNewtype »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: January 30, 2021, 08:06:34 pm »
I meant to show all stats in INFO after examining the corpse and interrogating it. Basic, just to know the amount of hp, reactions and other stats. Relatively speaking, when the corpse of the enemy has been thoroughly dissected, you can find out all its characteristics, and not just armor.
If you need to know the stats in more detail after applying the shot, the mind probe will help.

Ah. Well, there's no such article type in X-Com, so it'd have to be all hand-crafted. To be honest, sounds like way too much work - there are hundreds of units... Also, stats changfe with difficulty, and I think this is a game breaker.

Never understood the mind probe. Its research takes a long time and, as a result, it is almost never used. These are almost ordinary binoculars with the ability to determine stats .... Its only use is to find an enemy with the required rank.

How do you like this idea?
1) Binoculars work in direct line of sight determines the hp and rank of the enemy (perhaps action points and endurance, for example, the enemy is out of breath).
2) The Mind Probe works in a non-line of sight and detects all stats for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure if by binoculars you refer to some existing item, or it's a request for a new one. Please specify and I'll see if it has potential.

P.S. Give a link to GitHub please

Sure: https://github.com/SolariusScorch/XComFiles

Just click on the green "Code" button  and then "Download ZIP" to get the fresh mod version. Of course, it's thoroughly untested and sometimes may not work, but I'm trying to keep it 100% playable.

Noticed that the HWP Minirocket Launcher (Hover) trains throwing experience, but the Tank version trains firing. Is that intentional?

Nope, a bug. Thanks for the info, fixed.

Additionally, the following HWP weapons cannot be viewed in the pedia or the info screen, even in New Battle mode: HWP Tritanium Rocket Launcher,  HWP Minirocket Launcher (Hover), HWP Flamer (Hover).

This is more involved, so I'll check later.

Offline Bonakva

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: January 30, 2021, 10:03:55 pm »
Ah. Well, there's no such article type in X-Com, so it'd have to be all hand-crafted. To be honest, sounds like way too much work - there are hundreds of units... Also, stats changfe with difficulty, and I think this is a game breaker.
It's a pity you can't stick stats in INFO.
Tired of visiting every time https://thexcomfileswiki.github.io/
I just thought that if you can show the value of "night vision", you can also other stats

I'm not sure if by binoculars you refer to some existing item, or it's a request for a new one. Please specify and I'll see if it has potential.
I suggest making a new item. An analogue of a mind probe, but with clipped capabilities. You can give the opportunity to purchase after "postup 1".
Binoculars!! Designed for the early game. Although, in fact, if you make adequate sizes in the inventory (1x2 or 2x1), it can completely replace the mind probe. Allows you to see the stats (not completely) and the rank of the enemy. Works only with line of sight.
Possible stats for viewing:
HP - evaluate the appearance of the enemy and understand how bad he is
Fatal wounds - if the head bleeds... it is clear that the enemy is bleeding...
TU and Energy - in appearance you can understand that the enemy is out of breath.
Morality and sanity - if the enemy is pissing in his pants... obviously he is afraid...