Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071494 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #2670 on: November 10, 2020, 05:04:09 pm »
I've encountered a Random event that made me smile — The Gopnik Dream! But is it a typo in the description?

«Red Dawn aggressively promotes their propaganda among the unemployed youth of Kaujuitoq. Many recruits flock to bolster their ranks, tempted by promises of physical and political power for all. The Council insists that this does not bode well».

What is it, this Kaujuitoq place?

It may be : Kuujjuaq   ?
No ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuujjuaq

It is how Resolute originally was called: https://books.google.com/books?id=TATeRUuKt40C&pg=PA425&lpg=PA425&dq=kaujuitoq

Ah, thanks. Well, I guess I'll remove it anyway, as there are, umm, 200 people living in it.

Playing 1.15.1, I'm having trouble capturing an Ancient Mummy Matriarch. I can take them alive in battle and they appear in the loot, but when I transfer them to my research base they die because there are "no suitable facilities". I have a prison and an alien containment, and as far as I can see from the resource files the prison should be fine. Is this something fixed in 1.16, or am I missing something obvious?

Well, sorry to hear that. I can't see anything bad either, it uses a normal prison. I haven't received any other reports on this, so something is probably wrong on your end.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: November 10, 2020, 05:12:58 pm »
I found that in practice a stunned sheep will wake up on the next turn no matter what. I find that a bit strange.

So sheep, pig and chicken have 80 stun recovery (8*SANITY and others are below 0.1*something) if I read this picture correctly.

In any case shouldn't they stay stunned for longer, like most other things?

Also cows don't have such modifiers to their stun recovery and use default.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 05:32:21 pm by tarkalak »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: November 10, 2020, 05:24:15 pm »
I'll have a look, thanks.

Offline Fomka

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: November 12, 2020, 03:13:59 pm »
It is how Resolute originally was called: https://books.google.com/books?id=TATeRUuKt40C&pg=PA425&lpg=PA425&dq=kaujuitoq
Thanks!
That book «In Search of Arctic Birds» says: «Another Canadian Arctic settlement with birdwatching possibilities is Resolute, on the south coast of Cornwallis Island. Accessible by air from Edmonton or Montreal, it was founded as a joint United States–Canadian weather station and airstrip in 1947, and as the Inuit community of Kaujuitoq or "the land that does not melt" in 1953».

Fig. 1 Kaujuitoq location on the X-COM Globe
1. Kaujuitoq – former name of Resolute, the settlement on the Cornwallis Island in Canada.
2. Kuujjuaq – another, more southern, settlement in Canada.

So the mistery is solved — it's a canadian settlement. Blame Canada, blame Canada... But let's return to the X-COM Files.

That supposed Red Dawn activity in the Arctic is an incredible story, don't you think? The thugs delivered propaganda to some arctic weathermen that started to dream about criminal careers... Throw away papers, go for the political power!

Speaking seriously, is it possible to add one feature to such random events — show the name of the affected country after the name of the settlement/city?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: November 12, 2020, 03:19:31 pm »
No adding country names isn't possible. But regions probably would work along the city name (like Northern Africa, Australasia etc.)

Offline Aciho

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: November 13, 2020, 01:15:59 am »
Well, sorry to hear that. I can't see anything bad either, it uses a normal prison. I haven't received any other reports on this, so something is probably wrong on your end.

It looks like the message is wrong, and the mummy is actually sent. It's annoying but not progress limiting.

Offline ZakG

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: November 14, 2020, 01:57:20 pm »
Typo report:

'Ghost Ship': A ship was found drifting on Arctic, with its crew missing etc.

Should be: A ship was found drifting in the Arctic,.

Or if string length is a problem it could be re-formated to something like this:

Ship found drifting in the Arctic: Crew missing. There are no signs of struggle etc.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: November 14, 2020, 04:59:42 pm »
Typo report:

'Ghost Ship': A ship was found drifting on Arctic, with its crew missing etc.

Unfortunately that is not a language issue, but because this sentence is dynamically generated using the region's name. I'll try changing it to ""A ship was found drifting in the {0}" - maybe it'll get better results.

Offline ZakG

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: November 15, 2020, 10:49:56 am »
Interesting. That should do it for that specific quest event:

"A ship was found drifting in the {Arctic/Pacific/Atlantic/Indian/Southern}" - sounds a little better than it was, but i don't suppose that form has a space to add 'ocean' at the very end of it does it?

e.g. "A ship was found drifting in the {Arctic/Pacific/Atlantic/Indian/Southern} ocean, with its crew missing etc"?

---------------------

Just noticed this:

General Store vs Large Storage Facility. UPDATE - ignore as General Storage is 50 units (not 150!).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 05:05:31 pm by ZakG »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: November 15, 2020, 08:00:12 pm »
"A ship was found drifting in the {Arctic/Pacific/Atlantic/Indian/Southern}" - sounds a little better than it was, but i don't suppose that form has a space to add 'ocean' at the very end of it does it?

e.g. "A ship was found drifting in the {Arctic/Pacific/Atlantic/Indian/Southern} ocean, with its crew missing etc"?

It would be possible, but some regions are already called "Indian Ocean" and such, while some are "Arctic".

I could change the naming convention, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle, considering other weird semantics which may show up in other places.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: November 15, 2020, 09:01:56 pm »
Visual bug on Red Dawn Base. The guy on the stairs looks like he is under the second floor.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: November 15, 2020, 09:30:10 pm »
Visual bug on Red Dawn Base. The guy on the stairs looks like he is under the second floor.

what version of OXCE do you have?

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: November 15, 2020, 10:02:04 pm »
what version of OXCE do you have?

The folder is Extended-6.7.2-24439bd08-2020-10-24-bionic-x86_64. So 6.7.2.

The X-Com Files version is after 1.7. This is the last commit I have:
Code: [Select]
commit d02decd99ede749d7ee7c95eb6debaa415e02d56 (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD)
Author: SolariusScorch <solar_scorch@o2.pl>
Date:   Thu Nov 12 01:03:36 2020 +0100

Fixed F43 sprite hair colour

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: November 15, 2020, 10:45:12 pm »
The folder is Extended-6.7.2-24439bd08-2020-10-24-bionic-x86_64. So 6.7.2.

ok, please upload a save next time it happens, we'll need an example to fix it

Offline ZakG

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: November 16, 2020, 01:05:08 pm »
It would be possible, but some regions are already called "Indian Ocean" and such, while some are "Arctic".

I could change the naming convention, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle, considering other weird semantics which may show up in other places.

Ah ok got it. Yeah not an ideal system to have to mess around with! I just was not sure if this was a 'mod' bug or a 'game' bug, as the later we can just shrug and move on. Thanks for looking into it :)