aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071673 times)

Offline Bananas_Akimbo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #2070 on: November 14, 2019, 06:58:53 pm »
I recently got awarded 'Night Owl' for the first time, but it isn't displayed properly everywhere.
In the soldier's records it is shown correctly. However in the bonuses window, it is nowhere to be found. Instead there is a commendation simply called 'Commended!' and apparantly it gives me +1 readiness. That one isn't even listed in the ufopedia.

I don't know, if I'm getting the promised sight bonus from Night Owl, but I'm definitely getting the RDN bonus from Commended.

Offline Mr. Mister

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: November 14, 2019, 11:11:02 pm »
Save?

I scrapped the only save I had with a level 2 decoration, but I'll upload one as soon as I get another. Here's a save where level 1 Cavaliers and Soft Targets show their respective levels as "None".

Incidentally though, I'm not really digging the names for Soft Target and Patient. The first sounds like a negative trait for what is a purely positive one, and the second suggests that the soldier has patience.

I vote Battle-hardened or Battle-scarred, and Trauma-Thickened or Thickened Skull.

Incidentally, is it a bug if a thug spawns in an inaccessible garden?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 11:15:02 pm by Mr. Mister »

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: November 16, 2019, 05:13:03 am »
is it normal that syndicate doesn't really do anything when attacking your base?
they did have a hand full people walking in my defenses (incl 2 bovines), but the rest is basically just standing around.
in the elevator, in the hangar, they don't even move.
if not a bug, maybe increased offense would be adequate.
(they´re storming the base. not having a sit-in...)

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: November 16, 2019, 07:07:03 am »
is it normal that syndicate doesn't really do anything when attacking your base?
they did have a hand full people walking in my defenses (incl 2 bovines), but the rest is basically just standing around.
in the elevator, in the hangar, they don't even move.
if not a bug, maybe increased offense would be adequate.
(they´re storming the base. not having a sit-in...)

Seems to be normal. Aliens do the same.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2074 on: November 16, 2019, 01:05:57 pm »
Here, maybe this will help :-) It's your file, slightly edited.

Having used the G3 (once), which is a FNFAL derivate, i simply have to do that.

Neat! Many thanks, added. (The old one remains for the M14, at least for now.)

Oh and here some music files from the game Syndicate war, i found them on youtube and converted them for you.

This can be handy, good job!

I found it while testing the battle simulator so this may be not applicable, but apparently Large Scouts have no text description for their Battlescape briefing, just strings.

Yes, it's normal for the Quick Battle generator. Especially if you use some subvariant of a UFO (like STR_LARGE_SCOUT_SECTOID).

I recently got awarded 'Night Owl' for the first time, but it isn't displayed properly everywhere.
In the soldier's records it is shown correctly. However in the bonuses window, it is nowhere to be found. Instead there is a commendation simply called 'Commended!' and apparantly it gives me +1 readiness. That one isn't even listed in the ufopedia.

I don't know, if I'm getting the promised sight bonus from Night Owl, but I'm definitely getting the RDN bonus from Commended.

"Commended!" is the name of a bonus available at Night Owl I.
What I found is that you didn't retain the Readiness bonus past level 2, but I think that's a separate issue.
No other problems were found, so please come back to me if there's anything left.

I scrapped the only save I had with a level 2 decoration, but I'll upload one as soon as I get another. Here's a save where level 1 Cavaliers and Soft Targets show their respective levels as "None".

I'll leave this to Meridian, because I don't really understand.
Unless you mean that someone is awarded a medal, but not decorated? Decoration level 0 is a thing.

Incidentally though, I'm not really digging the names for Soft Target and Patient. The first sounds like a negative trait for what is a purely positive one, and the second suggests that the soldier has patience.

I vote Battle-hardened or Battle-scarred, and Trauma-Thickened or Thickened Skull.

I like Battle-hardened. Patient needs something better I guess.

Incidentally, is it a bug if a thug spawns in an inaccessible garden?

If it's next to the edge, then it's normal. It's accessible, bun not from your position. ;)

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: November 16, 2019, 04:32:18 pm »

Hardy? Guts? True Survivor? Survivor? Combat/Battle Survivor? True Grit?

One of these should work, since it's about surviving fatal injuries and recovering as if nothing had happened... In theory at least. Having one bullet scratch your knee and lose 5 HP and 1 Fatal wound can result is also being sent 20 days to the hospital compared to say have half your torso blown-up by plasma fire.

Offline Cynus_X

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: November 16, 2019, 08:10:43 pm »

On that note, I dont like the name of the commendation "Betrayer" either. If you are going as far as to call someone a betrayer, why keep him in the organisation?

"Teamkiller" or "Cross-eyed" would be better imo.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: November 16, 2019, 08:27:16 pm »
Judas.
When you say you got a lvl 5 judas in your team, its exactly clear what that is  ;D

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: November 17, 2019, 01:55:31 am »
not sure if intended (or what the results are), but you can assign AIs to psi training...

EDIT: and just had some osiron guy shoot 1 wound (+some dmg) into a soldier wearing power armor. with a shotgun with AP ammo.
by any calculation i´ve done, that should not be possible.
(no dmg before, front armor, like 3 range. 1 shot...)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 02:13:42 am by TheCurse »

Offline zakharov

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: November 17, 2019, 06:06:52 am »
Hello, me again. Found another instance of a crash due to a missing .SCR, but I can't figure this one out. A little different than the previous one.

Spoiler:
Just unlocked Samael and the appropriate research of him, his staff and his legacy.

Code: [Select]
[16-11-2019_22-49-32] [WARN] STR_DEMONS not found in en-US
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] A fatal error has occurred: Sprite .SCR not found
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0x58d120 OpenXcom::CrossPlatform::stackTrace(void*)
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0x58df90 OpenXcom::CrossPlatform::crashDump(void*, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0x41e8c0 exceptionLogger()
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0xb18690 MPEGaction::MPEGaction()
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0xcd0f30 void std::iter_swap<__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData*, std::vector<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData, std::allocator<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData> > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData*, std::vector<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData, std::allocator<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData> > > >(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData*, std::vector<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData, std::allocator<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData> > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData*, std::vector<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData, std::allocator<OpenXcom::ScriptProcData> > >)
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0xcd6100 OpenXcom::ScriptGlobal::addTagType<OpenXcom::ScriptTag<OpenXcom::RuleItem, unsigned char> >()::{lambda(unsigned long long)#1}::_FUN(unsigned long long)
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0xbbdee0 OpenXcom::Surface* OpenXcom::Mod::getRule<OpenXcom::Surface>(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::map<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, OpenXcom::Surface*, std::less<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >, std::allocator<std::pair<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const, OpenXcom::Surface*> > > const&, bool) const
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0x763950 OpenXcom::Mod::getSurface(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, bool)
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0x6b9110 OpenXcom::MissionDetectedState::MissionDetectedState(OpenXcom::MissionSite*, OpenXcom::GeoscapeState*)
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0x6a0840 OpenXcom::GeoscapeState::time1Hour()
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0x6a33d0 OpenXcom::GeoscapeState::timeAdvance()
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0x662910 OpenXcom::Timer::think(OpenXcom::State*, OpenXcom::Surface*)
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0x5a4010 OpenXcom::Game::run()
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0x41e990 SDL_main
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0x933ad0 console_main
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0x933bf0 WinMain
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] ??
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] ??
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0x7ffc2daa7bc0 BaseThreadInitThunk
[16-11-2019_22-51-53] [FATAL] 0x7ffc2deacec0 RtlUserThreadStart

I did a grep search for
Spoiler:
STR_DEMONS
and it only seems to be references in itemCategories_XCOMFILES.rul and items_XCOMFILES.rul.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kG_0HVpy9AU6MMS9-X1OA9Ko1K4gsGWa/view?usp=sharing.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: November 17, 2019, 10:34:45 am »
not sure if intended (or what the results are), but you can assign AIs to psi training...

EDIT: and just had some osiron guy shoot 1 wound (+some dmg) into a soldier wearing power armor. with a shotgun with AP ammo.
by any calculation i´ve done, that should not be possible.
(no dmg before, front armor, like 3 range. 1 shot...)

Indeed it's strange, but without seeing it, I can't say much.

Hello, me again. Found another instance of a crash due to a missing .SCR, but I can't figure this one out. A little different than the previous one.

Thanks, this is already known and fixed. I'm preparing another bugfix release.

The issue was:

Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_MARINE_BASE_DEFENSE
    width: 60
    length: 60
    height: 4
    civilians: 10
    terrains:
      - MARINEBASE
    alert: STR_MARINE_BASE_ATTACKED
    alertBackground: BACK03.SCR                       <---- this part was broken
    alertDescription: STR_MARINE_BASE_DEFENSE_DESCRIPTION
    briefing:
      background: BACK03.SCR
      palette: 2
      music: GMENBASE
    markerName: STR_MARINE_BASE_DEFENSE
    duration: [5, 10]
    despawnPenalty: 750

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: November 17, 2019, 12:40:33 pm »
A minor bug here:
Cubans seem to be getting czech names.

I currently have two of them, named Luboš Urban and Petra Kolářová.

Current active mods are: Aliens pick up weapons, Dark geoscape, X-Com Files

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: November 17, 2019, 02:51:04 pm »
A minor bug here:
Cubans seem to be getting czech names.

I currently have two of them, named Luboš Urban and Petra Kolářová.

Current active mods are: Aliens pick up weapons, Dark geoscape, X-Com Files

Hmm... Did you upgrade your campaign from 0.9.9.e2 (or earlier)?

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: November 17, 2019, 03:12:26 pm »
Hmm... Did you upgrade your campaign from 0.9.9.e2 (or earlier)?
No, I started it in 1.0.1.

Offline BoToJu

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: November 17, 2019, 05:16:16 pm »
Is there a typo in login screen? Seeing version "1.0.1". Ensured i've installed the 1.0.2 zip package.