aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071533 times)

Offline Marsnbars

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1950 on: August 25, 2019, 10:37:32 pm »
So, uh. Up on this page someone says to refer to a previous page in this bug thread to fix it, but. I can't find what they're referring to, and they didnt quote it? And I've never messed with modifying files before

Offline Vangrimar1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: August 26, 2019, 03:32:19 pm »
Samael’s staff summons a demon who is hostile to the player. Is this conceived or flawed?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: August 26, 2019, 06:59:52 pm »
So, uh. Up on this page someone says to refer to a previous page in this bug thread to fix it, but. I can't find what they're referring to, and they didnt quote it? And I've never messed with modifying files before

Ok, I'll make you a deal - I can explain to you why this happens and how to fix it, and you promise me to never, ever do that again. Moiré patterns give me headaches. Why do people feel the need to take pictures of their screens with their smartphones instead of posting screenshots? This is just wrong. And no, i don't care that it's a Galaxy S10 - this is like using a video camera to record something off your TV instead of using the build-in video recorder.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 07:08:05 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: August 27, 2019, 05:43:44 pm »
Samael’s staff summons a demon who is hostile to the player. Is this conceived or flawed?
Doesn't it say in the UFOpedia that the staff is basically useless for Xcom because the demon is hostile?

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: August 31, 2019, 03:06:36 am »
Crash on accepting cyberweb heist...
Quantum computer outside of map.
Error message and savegame from right before attached.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: August 31, 2019, 11:41:32 am »
Crash on accepting cyberweb heist...
Quantum computer outside of map.
Error message and savegame from right before attached.
This is literally a duplicate of the first post on this page, and has been reported multiple times already. You can easily fix this yourself.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: August 31, 2019, 03:33:26 pm »
oh ye, didn't notice.
However, i have no idea how to fix this myself.
Is there a patch/fix available?
(hardly have time to play this game, so definately not enough time to get into modding/messing with maps)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: August 31, 2019, 05:05:47 pm »
oh ye, didn't notice.
However, i have no idea how to fix this myself.
Is there a patch/fix available?
(hardly have time to play this game, so definately not enough time to get into modding/messing with maps)
You simply need to replace the coordinates with something more sensible (i.e. within the boundaries). You can find the mapset in the terrain.rul - simply search for the map name and modify [12,6,0] to something thats within the listed boundaries.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: August 31, 2019, 05:41:00 pm »
got it, thanks
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 02:06:28 am by TheCurse »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1959 on: September 03, 2019, 11:59:55 am »
Just got a red dawn base mission, some weeks after i stormed their HQ and terminated them.

Which version are you using?

Just had a crash on cyverweb heist mission, it says object spawns outside map bounds. Spawned in Rocky Mountains if the moíuntain terrain could be the cause.

Known bug, sorry. Retry the mission (with save scumming on) or get the unreleased version from GitHub: https://github.com/SolariusScorch/XComFiles

The Kukri is handled as a firearm with a range of 1, not as a melee weapon. Is this intended?

yes, otherwise you wouldn't be able to cut foliage with it (melee weapons can't attack terrain).

Also, some of the terrain tiles in that mapset have no defined ground/ground object, so they don't get revealed unless you're standing directly on them

Yeah, I keep fixing these (not my map). Thanks for the report.

As far as i can tell that is the only block in the set that has missing surface tiles, but STORMMOUNTAIN02 can lead to somewhat...interesting...map geometries:

Makes sense. Also fixed.

Just noticed this:
The inventory position of the sprites for blackops rifle clips and tritanium rifle clips are one or two pixels off.

Funny, considering these are vanilla resources. :P (Well, the tritanium one is recoloured.)

Heavy Tactical Suit and Heavy Tritanium Suit share the same drawbacks, despite the later supposedly being easier to use due to it's reduced weight. Is this intended?

Oops.

This might've already been reported, but some of the paperdolls don't quite match up with the overlaying armor:

Darn. Will this issue never end? ;)

MIB bases/mission sites (connected to alien embassies?) show up as UFOs, not as ground mission sites. They also have associated briefings.

That's more of a limitation than a bug. We're trying to figure out how to improve it, though.

Alien Laser Rifle can be manufactured by researching Laser Weapons, actually researching the rifle isn't required. Is this intended?

Not intended. Fixed.

Researching Alien Origins after researching a (Sectoid) Leader did not unlock the "Alien leader is researched" prerequesite. Is this intended? I don't remember running into this bug before, but there seem to have been some changes in the last updates regarding research progression. Do i need to interrogate another leader?

Can you tell me a bit more? What do you want to achieve? What exactly do you need?

I recently encountered Shamblers in the caves/underdark. I haven't had a look at the spawn list, but what exactely are shamblers - who are manufactered by the Syndicate iirc and home to cold climates - doing in the caves?

They aren't manufactured by the Syndicate, though the Syndicate experiments with them.
There's an "explanation mission" planned.

Iceland along with some of the other new countries can start the game with zero funding, which in turn keeps them at 0 funding for the entire game as finding increases are percentage based. I've seen this behavior for at the very least Iceland and New Zealand, but it probably can occur for any of the new super low finding nations.

Thanks, known and (hopefully) fixed.
For now, you can edit your save file to give these countries some positive income. Though some people like the idea of some countries being only a burden. ;)

UFO subtypes can be gotten for free from alien data slates, but in order to decrypt them the topic itself needs to be researched first (as it's a prerequesite for alien vocabulary, which again needs to be researched for alien encryption).

Solarius, I think understand what you were going for with the vocabulary&encryption stuff, but at this point the data slate becomes kind of pointless, since by the time you have researched the necessary topics to break the encryption, you're bound to have unlock a lot of the topics the slate is supposed to contain.

Also, while the vocabulary article mentions that you're now able 'to ask better question', none of the unlock research topics are connected to interrogations - it's only the data slate encryption and the embassy key. This seems kind of strange. Maybe instead of locking encryption behind vocabulary, lock some of the more advanced topics gained by interrogation behind it, but also make them unlockable by decrpyting the data slate?

I guess the entire data slate research list should be revised, as it's a very old feature.
I don't have a good concept yet. Ideas welcome.

Roboturrets are bugged atm, you can't actually load the ammunition into the weapon, as both items are fixed and you can't access the inventory of the drone either.

But you can press "R". ;)
I'll make it smoother soon.

so i researched & produced tritanium magnum ammo.
but it doesn't have an ufopedia entry it seems.
how much dmg does it do?

The code seems fine... Can you attach a save?

This happened when I shot a large rocket into a sinister clinic

We'll check, thanks.

Everything else is solved, please let me know if anything is left to discuss.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: September 03, 2019, 05:43:03 pm »
for the mission, I was using 0.9.9d at that time.
as for the ammo, should be still the same in the bug.sav a few posts upwards. its 0.9.9e2 already.
(checked, its still persistent in that savegame)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:47:41 pm by TheCurse »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: September 03, 2019, 07:00:46 pm »
The code seems fine... Can you attach a save?

Researching AA drum manufacturing doesn't require the actual AA drum, while researching the AA drum does:

Code: [Select]
  - name: STR_MAGNUM_AA_DRUM_MANUFACTURING
    cost: 10
    lookup: STR_UAC_PISTOL_AA_CLIP
    dependencies:
      - STR_ALLOY_AMMO
      - STR_MAGNUM_AA_DRUM_PREQ

- name: STR_MAGNUM_AA_DRUM
    cost: 0
    needItem: true
    dependencies:

- name: STR_MAGNUM_AA_DRUM_PREQ
    cost: 0
    dependencies:
      - STR_BLACKOPS_MAGNUM
      - STR_SMART_MAGNUM

I guess researching the AA drum should also require alloy ammo, but not the drum iteself.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:03:11 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1962 on: September 05, 2019, 11:11:56 am »
for the mission, I was using 0.9.9d at that time.
as for the ammo, should be still the same in the bug.sav a few posts upwards. its 0.9.9e2 already.
(checked, its still persistent in that savegame)

The first issue was fixed long two releases ago. What's the point in reporting old shit like this?
The second is not yetb fixed in the released version, but you can download the GitHub version, it should work fine.

I guess researching the AA drum should also require alloy ammo, but not the drum iteself.

No, because that would prevent you from researching the AA drum if you find it. The point is to have the cake and eat it too.

I think the correct solution is this:

dependencies:
      - STR_ALLOY_AMMO
    unlocks:                                             < ---- added
      - STR_MAGNUM_AA_DRUM                               < ---- added
    listOrder: 520200

EDIT: I was wrong, of course. It should be lookup, not unlocks:

dependencies:
      - STR_ALLOY_AMMO
    lookup: STR_MAGNUM_AA_DRUM
    listOrder: 520200
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 11:51:33 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline sedygrizly

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: September 20, 2019, 10:30:59 am »
Hello, where should i report translation errors? Translation is very good and precise, don't get me wrong... just one not important research is missing almost whole description.

EDIT: i'm using czech translation
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 10:42:02 am by sedygrizly »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: September 20, 2019, 11:08:03 am »
Hello, where should i report translation errors? Translation is very good and precise, don't get me wrong... just one not important research is missing almost whole description.

EDIT: i'm using czech translation

You can create the translation yourself.
Here: https://www.transifex.com/openxcom/openxcom-mods/xcf/

Currently this mod is 97.74% translated into Czech.