aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071619 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1320 on: August 21, 2018, 12:17:52 pm »
Yes, you are correct, but such fine-tuning of points is... well, I don't know if it is possible. I will investigate this.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #1321 on: August 21, 2018, 02:07:00 pm »
I like how that works out. Vaporize the bodies and you don't lose points . . . because you destroyed the evidence of your criminal act.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 21, 2018, 02:35:16 pm »
I like how that works out. Vaporize the bodies and you don't lose points . . . because you destroyed the evidence of your criminal act.

Also no need to pay the 10K troll toll for getting rid of the body. :P

If a player is willing to go this low to save a few bucks, I'm not stopping them. :)

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 21, 2018, 10:58:02 pm »
I've played some more, and I've collected some more feedback.

The grammar nazi corner:
- STR_GHOUL_UFOPEDIA: "at a cost" would be better as "at the cost". "affects its biology" should be "affect its biology". "protecting its hive" should be "protecting their hive".
- STR_ACID_BOLT_UFOPEDIA: "a correct way" would be better as "a certain way".
- STR_ALIEN_ENGINEERING_UFOPEDIA: Some trivialities here that put together made me add it to the list. "rules and logic that is" is more elegant as "logic and rules that are". "certainly have a certain logic to them once you know them" suffers from repeat use of "certain" and "them", as well as "logic" with the previous sentence. Suggest: "operate on principles that begin to make sense once you are familiar with them".
- STR_PRIEST_OF_DAGON_UFOPEDIA: I find it odd that the Dagon Syndrome is first mentioned casually in this article, only to be put in quotation marks later on.
- STR_DOSSIER_IOANA_IANCU_UFOPEDIA: "during investigation regarding" would be better as "during an investigation into".
- STR_DOSSIER_TYVARIUS_STIENBURG_UFOPEDIA: "Church of Dagon" ought to be "the Church of Dagon". Suggest changing the final "or" to "and".
- STR_SYNDICATE_WAREHOUSE_DESCRIPTION and STR_SYNDICATE_WAREHOUSE_BRIEFING: "We must prevent the goods inside from reaching its destination" should be "We must prevent the goods inside from reaching their. destination"
- STR_ZOMBIE_BOOMER_AUTOPSY_UFOPEDIA: So "Lab Technician Vuorela drew the short straw to conduct the autopsy in a secured vault usually used for high explosive research" is awkward because it makes it sound like the location of the autopsy is the reason of said straw's shortness. Suggest rephrasing as "Lab Technician Vuorela drew the short straw to conduct the autopsy, which took place in a secured vault usually used for high explosive research".
- STR_M83_BARETT_UFOPEDIA: "unadvisable" should be "inadvisable".
- STR_CULT_HQ_COLD_ZSRR_BRIEFING: "Our mission is direct assault at" should be "Our mission is a direct assault on".
- STR_ACID_PISTOL_UFOPEDIA: I find this article a bit odd in that it goes into minute detail about how the weapon works, but doesn't mention in any way what it is or what it's good for.
- STR_ADVANCED_AI_UFOPEDIA: "according to" would be nicer as "adapting to".
- STR_POSTAL_RAMPAGE_DESCRIPTION: ""An extremist, self-styled vigilante" would be better as "An extremist and self-styled vigilante".
- STR_OSPREY_UFOPEDIA: "cult menace" should be "the cult menace".
- STR_ALIEN_COMMUNICATOR_UFOPEDIA: "in alien language" should be either "in an alien language" or "in the alien language", whichever is more appropriate.
- STR_STAFF_010_UFOPEDIA: "suggest from now on" would be better as "suggest that from now on".
- STR_MEGAZOMBIE_UFOPEDIA: "Upon encounter, suggested course" would be better as "Upon encountering one, the suggested course".
- STR_CYBERWEB_BATTERY_UFOPEDIA: "before they burn up" should be "before it burns up".
- STR_PARAPSYCHOLOGY_UFOPEDIA: "dissect it and put in" should be "dissect it and put it in"
- STR_METAPSYCHOLOGY_UFOPEDIA: "prosthetics" would be better as the singular "prosthetic".

Other things:
- It appears that capturing a "live" Cyberweb Roboturret when no Alien Containment facility is built triggers the "no AC" dialog post-battle. However these units are kept in inventory without the need for an AC. This is probably expected behavior, but I need something to complain about, don't I?
- Consider sorting the Battle Axe between the Axe and the Bardiche.
- The Smart Shotgun has an auto-shot range of 4 where the Double Barreled Shotgun has a range of 7, which makes the former worse in that area. One suspects they should be the same.
- Considering how early on it is found, the Chemogun seems disproportionally profitable to produce and sell, so much so that it turns a profit even accounting for the upkeep of the engineers working on it (29K per engineer per month where upkeep is 25K).
- I got M.A.G.M.A. Message #004, but didn't see a #003. Seems like that isn't supposed to happen.
- X-COM PSA: General Strategy uses a different article format than GIB and PAU.
- Given that the X-COM Psiclone can only be had once Metapsychology rolls around, maybe it should not be added to the Ufopedia until then.

Nope, both sides have identical light sources.

Nevertheless no light is being cast on the starboard side. Given the light pattern, it seems the ship is blocking its own light on that side.

Unfortunately I've been unable to locate any errors. Moreover, your screen shows that the ground under the boulder is incorrect, while I fixed it long ago. Could you possibly provide a save?

Ran into this again. Save is attached. Notice how I put one of my soldiers on top of a rock. Many other (though not all) rocks on that map are passable as well.

Offline samuelroy21

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: August 22, 2018, 04:27:58 am »
I'm not sure if anyone's noticed before, but I think the AI for Syndicate Security units is occasionally really, *really* dumb. The other Syndicate units seem fine, just the Syndicate Security. I've played the monster lab mission to completion multiple times, and I don't think I've had one of them fire at me on their turn; they seem to just waddle around, even when they have full capability to shoot me. In fact, I've only really been getting shot by them with reaction fire. However, on Syndicate base attacks they seemed to act fairly normal. Am I just going crazy?

Also, side note, the new stats text they added at the bottom of weapon descriptions can sometimes cut off the description proper.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: August 22, 2018, 03:09:39 pm »
Yeah the cutoff thing is being slowly addressed, The scaling info was a recent engine lvl change, so it takes time for modders to catch up.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: August 22, 2018, 08:54:00 pm »
I've played some more, and I've collected some more feedback.

The grammar nazi corner:
<snip>

Many thanks! This is exactly the job nobody wants to do, but it is vital. Much appreciated!
Everything has been fixed. (The translators will kill me.)

- It appears that capturing a "live" Cyberweb Roboturret when no Alien Containment facility is built triggers the "no AC" dialog post-battle. However these units are kept in inventory without the need for an AC. This is probably expected behavior, but I need something to complain about, don't I?

Yeah it's a bit wonky, since I didn't want to make them require a special prison for robots, that would be dumb; therefore they go straight to the stores, even though they are a unit. This confuses the game, but it seems benign.

- Consider sorting the Battle Axe between the Axe and the Bardiche.

I can, but what about the Giant Axe?

- The Smart Shotgun has an auto-shot range of 4 where the Double Barreled Shotgun has a range of 7, which makes the former worse in that area. One suspects they should be the same.

Well, the smart shotgun is accurate in itself, but it is built more like the standard shotties... I'll think about it.

- Considering how early on it is found, the Chemogun seems disproportionally profitable to produce and sell, so much so that it turns a profit even accounting for the upkeep of the engineers working on it (29K per engineer per month where upkeep is 25K).

Depends on the campaign. But I'll keep this in mind.

- I got M.A.G.M.A. Message #004, but didn't see a #003. Seems like that isn't supposed to happen.

Usually no, but it's not set in stone. Not a bug.

- X-COM PSA: General Strategy uses a different article format than GIB and PAU.

Lol indeed. I never noticed! Fixed now.

- Given that the X-COM Psiclone can only be had once Metapsychology rolls around, maybe it should not be added to the Ufopedia until then.

Hmm... Good point. Also my bad.

Nevertheless no light is being cast on the starboard side. Given the light pattern, it seems the ship is blocking its own light on that side.

Hmm... I'll chceck when I have some free time.

Ran into this again. Save is attached. Notice how I put one of my soldiers on top of a rock. Many other (though not all) rocks on that map are passable as well.

Thanks, I will investigate.

I'm not sure if anyone's noticed before, but I think the AI for Syndicate Security units is occasionally really, *really* dumb. The other Syndicate units seem fine, just the Syndicate Security.

I'm not sure what the case might be... Maybe I should mess with their spotter properties.

EDIT: Fixed those tundra stones.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:57:48 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: August 22, 2018, 11:52:56 pm »
I'm not sure if anyone's noticed before, but I think the AI for Syndicate Security units is occasionally really, *really* dumb. The other Syndicate units seem fine, just the Syndicate Security. I've played the monster lab mission to completion multiple times, and I don't think I've had one of them fire at me on their turn; they seem to just waddle around, even when they have full capability to shoot me. In fact, I've only really been getting shot by them with reaction fire. However, on Syndicate base attacks they seemed to act fairly normal. Am I just going crazy?

I do not know about the Syndicate, but I did notice something like that in Osiron Beach missions. Osiron in those missions only reaction-fires, never taking initiative.

Also, a typo:
in both english files STR_SYNDICATE_SUPERMUTANT_UFOPEDIA has the sentence "However, the process has ab extremely high mortality rate, and also there are... other failures." The "ab" should probably be removed.

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: August 23, 2018, 12:44:58 am »
I can, but what about the Giant Axe?

I cannot comment at this time. It hasn't appeared in my game yet. Suffice to say my comment about the Battle Axe was assuming the axes are to be sorted in order of ascending damage, but there is no reason why that should necessarily be the Ufopedia order. So your call, really.

The "ab" should probably be removed.

No, that's just a misspelled "an". Which needs to be there.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 01:02:04 am by BTAxis »

KZad Bhat

« Reply #1329 on: August 23, 2018, 11:00:46 am »
in both english files STR_SYNDICATE_SUPERMUTANT_UFOPEDIA has the sentence "However, the process has ab extremely high mortality rate, and also there are... other failures." The "ab" should probably be removed.

Actually it should be "an" so it says "However, the process has an extremely high mortality rate, and also there are... other failures."

Offline karnaugh_map

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 25, 2018, 02:03:33 pm »
After having another look at the screenshot.

You are entirely correct, my bad. :)

On another note, I found a weird terrain glitch on a STR_CULT_INVESTIGATION_DESERT_CHURCH_OF_DAGON in the desert, see attached image.

Also, after reading through the lore, I would suggest that the Energetic Blood Plasma article should go between Mutant Physiology and Mutant Metabolism, since the latter two articles talk of it. Also the Nitro Express Rifle should come before the Small Shotgun, in order to group the sniper rifles and shotguns in their own groups.

Great work BTW!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:33:40 pm by karnaugh_map »

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 26, 2018, 08:08:34 pm »
Time to flush my notes to the forum again.

Writing:
- STR_ABOMINATION_AUTOPSY_UFOPEDIA: "chemical molecules" would be better as merely "molecules" because not only does it repeat the word "chemical" in that sentence, it's also a pleonasm.
- STR_ABOMINATION_UFOPEDIA: "our usual specimen" makes it sound like X-Com regularly orders aliens in from the local takeaway or something. Suggest "the specimens we usually get". The second "based on" would be better as "formed by" to avoid repetition.
- STR_DEEP_ONE_AUTOPSY_UFOPEDIA: "around the Cretaceous period" would be better as "from around the Cretaceous period".
- STR_TOMB_GUARD_AUTOPSY_UFOPEDIA: "organs like larynx or gonads" would be better as "organs like the larynx and gonads".
- STR_OSIRON_STAKEOUT_DESCRIPTION and STR_OSIRON_STAKEOUT_BRIEFING: "desolated" should be "desolate".
- STR_INTO_THE_DARK_UFOPEDIA: "Weird artifacts" would be better as "The weird artifacts".
- STR_MONSTER_TERROR_DESCRIPTION and STR_MONSTER_TERROR_BRIEFING: "whoever" should be "whomever".
- STR_ALLOYS_ENGINEERING_UFOPEDIA: "introduce them in" would be better as "introduce them into".
- STR_ALLOY_SWORD_UFOPEDIA: "utilizing operative's" should be "utilizing the operative's".
- STR_MILESTONE_3_UFOPEDIA: "none of them is" should be "none of them are".
- STR_DOSSIER_DING_QUADONG_UFOPEDIA: Had a few issues with the first sentence, most importantly that it meanders. Suggest the following rewrite: "There is a proven connection between Quadong and alien activity, such as abductions and alien surveillance. He conducts these activities in exchange for alien tech for his manufacturing plants."
- STR_NAPALM_GRENADE_UFOPEDIA: "squirming ashes"? I have no concept of ashes that squirm. Smolder, maybe.
- STR_ADVANCED_FLIGHT_TRAINING_UFOPEDIA: "and Chief Medical Officer's" should be "and the Chief Medical Officer's".
- STR_WHAT_DO_NOW_MILESTONE_3_UFOPEDIA: "remember about" would be better as "be mindful about".
- STR_BRAINER: Suggest changing this to "Hybrid Brainer" for consistency with STR_HYBRID_BRAINER and the rest of the Ufopedia.
- STR_MIG31_UFOPEDIA: Suggest changing "GAP" to "VOID", as there is no gap between having nothing and having something.
- STR_HWP_UFOPEDIA: Suggest changing "threats unique to X-Com activity" to "dangers inherent in X-Com activities", just because I like it better that way.
- STR_SHOTGUN_AA_SHELLS_UFOPEDIA: Suggest changing "birdshot" to "buckshot", as BS ammo is referred to as "buckshot" everywhere else. Plus, birdshot is referred to as "BB shot", apparently.
- Suggest changing "the EXALT" to simply "EXALT" in the following strings: STR_CULT_MANSION_DEFENSE_EXALT_DESCRIPTION, STR_CULT_MANSION_DEFENSE_EXALT_BRIEFING, STR_EXALT_UFOPEDIA, STR_EXALT_BRAINER_UFOPEDIA, STR_CULT_APPREHENSION_EXALT_DESCRIPTION, STR_CULT_HIDEOUT_EXALT_DESCRIPTION, STR_CULT_BASE_EXALT_DESCRIPTION, STR_CULT_HIDEOUT_EXALT_BRIEFING, STR_DESTROY_EXALT
- STR_ZOMBIE_IMPLANT_UFOPEDIA: Another meandering first sentence. Suggest the following rewrite: "This is a special cybernetic implant connected to the brain. It allows Zombie Troopers to perform certain complex tasks like using ranged weapons, albeit not very efficiently." Further, "It doesn't seem to work correctly" would be better as "It doesn't seem to be working correctly".

Misc:
- STR_MONSTER_SITE: Suggest changing "MONSTER ATTACK-{0}" to simply "MONSTER ATTACK". The counter doesn't really seem in line with other missions.
- The RPG Launcher does not mention it requires Promotion III, though it seems common practice to have this info for weapons that can be obtained before they can be purchased.
- The Psiclone is marked as concealable, but since by all appearances it can't be brought on missions at all, that seems a little misleading.
- I believe the Blood Plasma: Living Strix production item is broken.
- Consider ordering the Heavy Stingray Launcher after the regular Stingray Launcher. The former references the latter in its description so it makes more sense that way.
- The AI can get into an infinite loop on the caves map if you end the turn when units are sitting in the pockets present on some map pieces that can't be reached (when occupied) or attacked. I've attached a save where this happens. Incidentally I've also seen enemies sit around in such pockets (via the motion scanner), which renders them essentially invulnerable.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 08:33:54 pm by BTAxis »

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 27, 2018, 09:48:40 am »
When blasted, the Syndicate HQ Exit Grid turns into southern half of that red machine .

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: August 29, 2018, 10:07:08 pm »
On another note, I found a weird terrain glitch on a STR_CULT_INVESTIGATION_DESERT_CHURCH_OF_DAGON in the desert, see attached image.

Ha, indeed! Now fixed, thank you.

Also, after reading through the lore, I would suggest that the Energetic Blood Plasma article should go between Mutant Physiology and Mutant Metabolism, since the latter two articles talk of it. Also the Nitro Express Rifle should come before the Small Shotgun, in order to group the sniper rifles and shotguns in their own groups.

OK, I'll check when I have some time. List orders are an endless hell.

Time to flush my notes to the forum again.

You are an angel.
Fixed everything except:
"Hybrid Brainer" is like as is because "Sectoid Soldier".
The Psiclone can't be taken on missions normally, but this is WIP, so I'm leaving the Concealable tag for now.
MONSTER ATTACK-{0} - some missions are numbered, some aren't... Should I remove the number from the alien terrors as well? Not sure how to go about this.
Caves causing endless loops? Sounds like a tileset issue. Will check when I can spend a lot of time on it, never heard of it before.
Also I am as stupefied as you about these... squirming ashes. :)

Consider ordering the Heavy Stingray Launcher after the regular Stingray Launcher.

Craft weapons lists are a mess anyway. Will do that later, when I no longer have the will to live or something.

- I believe the Blood Plasma: Living Strix production item is broken.

Broken how? I can't see anything unusual at a glance.

When blasted, the Syndicate HQ Exit Grid turns into southern half of that red machine .

Thanks, fixed.

EDIT: that caves block looks fine, so it's probably an AI issue. I have removed two sections of the rock, should help.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:14:50 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: August 29, 2018, 10:30:19 pm »
Broken how? I can't see anything unusual at a glance.

In the manufacturing menu, it lists the required item as STR_ZOMBIE_STRIX_TERRORIST. I have a living Strix in my jail, but I can't process it.

MONSTER ATTACK-{0} - some missions are numbered, some aren't... Should I remove the number from the alien terrors as well? Not sure how to go about this.

Yeah, it's tricky. For my part I'd be fine with having numbers only on UFOs since you might want to tell them apart if there are multiple of them present at once, but that's really just me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:34:52 pm by BTAxis »