aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1112236 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3750 on: July 06, 2023, 09:59:57 am »
Let me try the civilized, assume-it-was-a-communication-error way first, then: what exactly were you trying to say by '"very much"'?

I was rolling eyes at your implication that it was obvious that the functionality existed, when even I didn't know about this and have been unable to confirm it to this very moment. I am sitting right now, MMB-ing items on the list, and nothing happens.
I'm not saying you are wrong, only that the feature is pretty much useless for XCF, as Pedia names are often different from training names.

@sudtrap I'm guessing this also answers your question.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: July 06, 2023, 10:47:50 am »
In that case, it was a communication mishap. I used 'very much' as an emphasis marker, not as a statement of quantity/obviousness. Kind of trying to say 'akshually' without literally saying it. :) Maybe I shouldn't have. :-[

I mean, I wasn't acutely aware or using this feature, either. Especially since not all transformation articles are even listing the requirements (mostly soldier type transformations). I just tried, saw that it sometimes works and sometimes does not, and then remembered Meridian talking about a more unified shortcut system. And, yes, while it's possible to rejigger training names and pedia names, it'll be mildly save-breaking and I'm not sure it's all that valuable.

I am sitting right now, MMB-ing items on the list, and nothing happens.
You sure you have at least OXCE 7.9.2? I even get this with 7.8.18. Don't know if it goes much lower. Well, it goes down to at least 7.8.7, which is when I last actually played.

Spoiler" Friendly reminder":
In any case, I suggest refraining from further public eyerolling. It's at least somewhat against the "don't be a jerk" rule, and nothing good has ever come of it that I recall.

I mean, I'm not exactly snow white here, and I'll try to ask for clarification next time instead of snarking, but this goes both ways.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 11:32:50 am by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: July 06, 2023, 12:00:50 pm »
You sure you have at least OXCE 7.9.2? I even get this with 7.8.18. Don't know if it goes much lower. Well, it goes down to at least 7.8.7, which is when I last actually
played.

Yeah, and I also found some cases where it works, but it took some time... Which is why I still think this feature isn't compatible with XCF.

Spoiler" Friendly reply":
TBH my reaction was as it was because I definitely saw this as yet another smug attempt at "biting the ankles for no reason".

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I often get this vibe from you specifically, and very rarely from other people... Which may well be completely unfounded, but is a definite sign that something is not working here, communication-wise. And I think it's not primarily on my end, since I asked two different people for an impartial opinion and they both had very similar impressions about it. :-[

Please don't consider it to be an act of hostility, I am not trying to argue, just trying to give a proper answer. Your conversation style is quite confrontational on a regular basis, and not just to me. I ignore it most of the time, since I value your insight, but I am no saint. I hope it goes better in the future, but I'm afraid it needs some reflection on your part as well.

Online Nerro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: July 06, 2023, 01:01:04 pm »
Is it normal that mixed alien base do not have an alien commander?
Looking at the wiki, it seems the alien commander is replaced by an additional alien leader.

Many soldiers died in order to capture this additional leader, and now their families are bugging me the report says their sacrifice was not needed. :'(

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: July 06, 2023, 01:08:21 pm »
Is it normal that mixed alien base do not have an alien commander?
Looking at the wiki, it seems the alien commander is replaced by an additional alien leader.

Many soldiers died in order to capture this additional leader, and now their families are bugging me the report says their sacrifice was not needed. :'(

Indeed, they have no leader... Which is probably unfair, as you say. :(

I'll check if I can change it.

EDIT: done.
If you ask me, I would say it's legit to hack a STR_SECTOID_COMMANDER to your save.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 01:22:53 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: July 06, 2023, 05:10:07 pm »
Yeah, and I also found some cases where it works, but it took some time... Which is why I still think this feature isn't compatible with XCF.

I don't really care about mmb "compatibility", but what I would appreciate is if the ufopedia articles would actually list all of the requirements for transformations. Right now (still on 2.8, so thits might have changed) these are only listed for the low-end/early transformations, but not for most of the later ones (Helix Psion, Helix Knight, Kyberism etc.).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: July 06, 2023, 06:09:28 pm »
I don't really care about mmb "compatibility", but what I would appreciate is if the ufopedia articles would actually list all of the requirements for transformations. Right now (still on 2.8, so thits might have changed) these are only listed for the low-end/early transformations, but not for most of the later ones (Helix Psion, Helix Knight, Kyberism etc.).

Understandable, I just found myself struggling for space. I'll think about it.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: July 06, 2023, 08:05:09 pm »

Aren't there already entries which take up more than the screen actually allows and which take "advantage" of the scrolling feature? Just paste the requirements onto the end. I don't think people really mind (at least I don't) as long as the requirements are listed/accessible somewhere in-game.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: July 06, 2023, 09:20:34 pm »
I don't think people really mind
There's at least one person who does. :-X

Spoiler" Friendly continuation":
@Solarius: You brought up some valid points. I'll try to do better in the future. I'm no saint, either, so no idea how it'll actually go.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: July 06, 2023, 10:03:20 pm »
If there are articles that require scrolling, please post them as bugs, since I didn't want them to exist. ;)

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: July 06, 2023, 10:58:03 pm »
Another solution: 2 articles instead of one. Just like with some weapons with many ammo types.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: July 06, 2023, 11:08:58 pm »
articles that require scrolling

What I found: Reptoid Treaty, Olympianism, Pancor Jackhammer, BO Assault Cannon, AI Unit (quite a bit, and sneakily at that), Black Lotus Host.

Also, Saurian Ghost seems to lack a Pedia entry. and STR_GILLMAN_HERO_AUTOPSY a translation into human. :) Already fixed.

The 'no autopsy' picture might also be better off with a black 'transparent' section instead of the dark blue 'fog' it has right now.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 12:31:27 pm by Juku121 »

Offline sudtrap

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: July 07, 2023, 11:26:40 am »
What I found: Reptoid Treaty, Olympianism, Pancor Jackhammer, BO Assault Cannon, AI Unit (quite a bit, and sneakily at that), Black Lotus Host.

Also, Saurian Ghost seems to lack a Pedia entry and STR_GILLMAN_HERO_AUTOPSY a translation into human. :)

The 'no autopsy' picture might also be better off with a black 'transparent' section instead of the dark blue 'fog' it has right now.

Weird. I don't remember having a single article that needed scrolling. Maybe it's something to do with the resolution size?

@Solarius: As long as you are aware of what I trying to point out, that's good enough for me. It's definitely not a big deal; it's a small thing I happened to notice while playing. On a separate note, I will second that idea that the stat requirements should be listed for upgrades in the ufopedia; unless you intend for players to open the wiki and reference that while playing.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: July 07, 2023, 11:37:03 am »
Weird. I don't remember having a single article that needed scrolling. Maybe it's something to do with the resolution size?
I don't think so. As far as I know, Pedia proportions or resolution aren't scaled. If they were, modders would have a lot of trouble making sure their articles line up properly.

But you don't have to trust me. Fire up the game and check out the articles I mentioned yourself. Fire up a Quick Battle if you don't have a convenient save handy.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 11:39:32 am by Juku121 »

Offline sudtrap

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: July 08, 2023, 03:25:27 am »
You know what? I never realized you could scroll on those. I saw that the text got cut off and just assumed that was the cutoff. I double checked the jackhammer and you have to scroll through it to read the whole entry.