Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1112281 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3675 on: April 18, 2023, 08:45:42 am »
That's an issue with Beginner pricing mucking up the economy values. I guess Solarius needs to spend some time with his spreadsheet. :)

Just out of curiosity, I took a brief look and spears, Mk23's, Mausers, PPSh's, OICW grenades, M14s, Auto-Cannons and especially BO Smartguns have the same problem. Maybe some manufacturing projects are affected, too, didn't check.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: April 18, 2023, 10:15:08 am »
But in this case I made "Shogg studies" project successively in one base, it yielded something at start, but then 3 times it yielded nothing, before finally disappear. Here is the save.

I was asked to check what you get, here's the log:

Code: [Select]
[18-04-2023_09-10-34] [INFO] Topic: STR_ANTMAN_AUTOPSY  (not shown)
[18-04-2023_09-10-34] [INFO] Topic: STR_SHOGG_STUDIES

[18-04-2023_09-10-42] [INFO] Topic: STR_REPTOID_DRAGONFIRE_TURRET_AUTOPSY

[18-04-2023_09-10-49] [INFO] Topic: STR_REPTOID_DRAGONFIRE_TURRET

[18-04-2023_09-11-01] [INFO] Topic: STR_ANTMAN

[18-04-2023_09-11-10] [INFO] Topic: STR_ANTMAN_QUEEN_AUTOPSY  (not shown)

[18-04-2023_09-11-18] [INFO] Topic: STR_GIANT_SPIDER_KING_AUTOPSY  (not shown)

[18-04-2023_09-11-26] [INFO] Topic: STR_GIANT_SPIDER_KING  (only one shown here, not sure which)
[18-04-2023_09-11-26] [INFO] Topic: STR_GIANT_SPIDER_KING_ARMOR  (only one shown here, not sure which)

You get something each time, sometimes no pedia article is displayed.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3677 on: April 18, 2023, 01:36:48 pm »
I am someone who has never replied in a forum, but here`s my unintended feature report.
On beginner difficulty the light cannon HE ammo can be bought for $850 and sold for $875 thus making it a source of infinite money :)

Thanks, like Juku said, it's an oversight.

That's an issue with Beginner pricing mucking up the economy values. I guess Solarius needs to spend some time with his spreadsheet. :)

A spreadsheet? Man, you're an optimist...

Just out of curiosity, I took a brief look and spears, Mk23's, Mausers, PPSh's, OICW grenades, M14s, Auto-Cannons and especially BO Smartguns have the same problem. Maybe some manufacturing projects are affected, too, didn't check.

I'll just disable the low difficulty money bonus. It's impossible to keep in check, and the gains are marginal.

I was asked to check what you get, here's the log:
(...)

Thanks a lot for your time, I hope this will clear things up.

EDIT: I have overhauled the corpse/autopsy unlocking system. Those who use the GitHub version, please test when possible.

Offline Frenzyk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: April 21, 2023, 03:38:58 pm »
Why would you want it to spawn? It's your enemy... If it spawns, it means you should try harder to prevent such things. :o

I just like to research all. I never encountered battle witch. And I saw there is also some kind of AI units. This is only point: to make my research collection full. So I bit upset that some parts of lore will be missing. Same for Shogg studies.

Guys, I got it the first time. I merely explained why it was coded like this: because setting it on the corpse did not trigger autopsy. How many years do you think I've been struggling with these issues?

Krautbernd's idea should work, I think. It appears simple and efficient. I need to sit down and review the file carefully.

Wrecked syndicate mech yields nothing. Although I was told that it should not, but this is one more empty research.
Meridian the hunter interrogation yielded nothing, because I made seeker dron research. I think interrogation should not be available as it has nothing more to yield(as it happens with others), and show me that I can safely sack Meridian for 1M and won't loose any ufopedia record. Don't know anything about Meridian corpse as I took him alive.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: April 21, 2023, 07:47:24 pm »
I never encountered battle witch. And I saw there is also some kind of AI units. This is only point: to make my research collection full. So I bit upset that some parts of lore will be missing.
As Solarius said, you can still get them from Osiron Academies, which spawn no matter what you do (except piss off the RNG gods).

Wrecked syndicate mech yields nothing.
Er, doesn't it give "Wrecked Syndicate Walker Examination", Ufopedia entry and all?

Meridian the hunter interrogation yielded nothing...
Doesn't it give you an alien data slate? Probably not quite worth 1M, but still...

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: April 22, 2023, 10:04:51 am »
On beginner difficulty the light cannon HE ammo can be bought for $850 and sold for $875 thus making it a source of infinite money :)
I did some math:
Code: [Select]
Conditions: we have 1 storage facility (50 storage units) to mess with.
LC-HE Ammo Storage Space = 0.1
50 / 0.1 = 500 -- the amount we can purchase per "cycle"
500 * 850 = 425000 -- cost of purchase
500 * 875 = 437500 -- money after selling
437500 - 425000 = 12500 -- profit
Hours to wait for LC-HE Ammo to arrive = 24
12500 / 24 = 520 -- profitability per hour
Conclusion: speculation on LC-HE Ammo is lucrative, but not game breaking.

Instead of admitting the problem Solarius should just have said, that this is all by the plan.  8)

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: April 22, 2023, 10:27:40 am »
Mistake, please ignore this comment.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 10:36:34 am by Mathel »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: April 22, 2023, 12:10:08 pm »
I did some math:
Smartguns also have this issue, are twice as bulky and yield 10k profit per sale. That is about two orders of magnitude worse, or 2.5M per day. Which is close to game-breaking, I'd say.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: April 23, 2023, 01:23:47 pm »
Like I mentioned, I toned down the multipliers, so all these issues should be resolved by now.

Offline plainer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: April 25, 2023, 08:46:36 am »
A few days ago, I downloaded the latest version (at that time) from github.com. In January 1999, the alien mission STR_SENTRY_RETALIATION by STR_SNAKEMAN_SALAMANDRON ended with the base defense, which, judging by the number of SALAMANDRONs,  ::) is not SENTRY retaliation.
Perhaps a line "missionCustomDeploy: STR_BASE_DEFENSE_SENTRY" in the section "- type: STR_SENTRY_SHIP" of the file ufos_XCOMFILES.rul is needed. The save file is attached.
Upd: Solarius Scorch, thank you! (I remove the attached file, since the problem is solved and the file is not needed)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 05:53:40 pm by plainer »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: April 25, 2023, 12:20:33 pm »
A few days ago, I downloaded the latest version (at that time) from github.com. In January 1999, the alien mission STR_SENTRY_RETALIATION by STR_SNAKEMAN_SALAMANDRON ended with the base defense, which, judging by the number of SALAMANDRONs,  ::) is not SENTRY retaliation.
Perhaps a line "missionCustomDeploy: STR_BASE_DEFENSE_SENTRY" in the section "- type: STR_SENTRY_SHIP" of the file ufos_XCOMFILES.rul is needed. The save file is attached.

Hmm, indeed; looks like I was mistaken about how certain things work. But I found how to circumvent the problem and now it seems fine.
Thank you for the report!

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: May 06, 2023, 01:47:10 pm »
I don't know if it's a bug or a trick. The skyraider has a hidden hole in the fuselage. A grenade was just pushed in there and shot with a shotgun, and in response I gave a productive burst from a minigun. The direction of the hole is one square to the right of the upper automatic door. The hole goes from the first tier to the second one diagonally. I explained how I could through the language barrier. I assure you that this bug is taking place. It's definitely not my fault.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 02:08:19 pm by Akamashi »

Offline Marrik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: May 07, 2023, 04:14:23 am »
When I'm installing 2.9, I keep getting error messages saying "can't read from source file or disk" for minigun and heavy plasma .wav sound files. Any idea what that'd about?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 04:17:35 am by Marrik »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: May 07, 2023, 12:40:19 pm »
I don't know if it's a bug or a trick. The skyraider has a hidden hole in the fuselage. A grenade was just pushed in there and shot with a shotgun, and in response I gave a productive burst from a minigun. The direction of the hole is one square to the right of the upper automatic door. The hole goes from the first tier to the second one diagonally. I explained how I could through the language barrier. I assure you that this bug is taking place. It's definitely not my fault.

I think I found and fixed the problem. (Or more accurately, I did, and I hope I haven't broken anything else.) Thanks!

When I'm installing 2.9, I keep getting error messages saying "can't read from source file or disk" for minigun and heavy plasma .wav sound files. Any idea what that'd about?

Dunno - dusk full, access denied, file corrupted?

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: May 07, 2023, 09:42:02 pm »
I think I found and fixed the problem. (Or more accurately, I did, and I hope I haven't broken anything else.) Thanks!
  ;)

Dunno - dusk full, access denied, file corrupted?
I switched to the new version without any problems,
if this circumstance can help.