Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072503 times)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3705 on: May 16, 2023, 05:02:11 pm »
I am pretty sure there is perfectly viable explanation for haunted houses in the middle of nowhere, but I think this is taking it a tad too far. Who's even reporting these?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 05:06:04 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3706 on: May 17, 2023, 04:33:51 pm »
I think the question wasn't really why they are staggered, but rather why the total time frame is so short. For the record, I find it logical enough, but clearly Akamashi does (or at least did) not.

Ah, okay. The reason is that the window to take action is pretty short, before the target moves to another location.

And why is this written this way? To fit the narrative into available OXCE mechanics back in 2016, when I made these missions. Nowadays better ways are available (including just making a custom "alien base"), but I don't know if it's worth the trouble.

I am pretty sure there is perfectly viable explanation for haunted houses in the middle of nowhere, but I think this is taking it a tad too far. Who's even reporting these?

Fixed. :P

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: May 17, 2023, 05:45:37 pm »
Fixed. :P

I mean I am not generally against "haunted" missions in remote regions - given the overall strangeness, who's to say there aren't some very remote (in time as well as in space) tragedies or other things that have happened out there and just kind of bubble up to the surface. But maybe something more fitting? Like a reasearch stations that was unwittingly (or maybe even intentionally) build on a lay-line/spiritual conduit/pre-historic sacrifice site/etc. and is now being haunted? Still begs the question where the cultist come from, but then again who's to say they don't have a day job.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: May 17, 2023, 05:56:40 pm »
I mean I am not generally against "haunted" missions in remote regions - given the overall strangeness, who's to say there aren't some very remote (in time as well as in space) tragedies or other things that have happened out there and just kind of bubble up to the surface. But maybe something more fitting? Like a reasearch stations that was unwittingly (or maybe even intentionally) build on a lay-line/spiritual conduit/pre-historic sacrifice site/etc. and is now being haunted? Still begs the question where the cultist come from, but then again who's to say they don't have a day job.

Yeah, but that would be a different mission, and for now I'm focusing on the necessary stuff.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: May 17, 2023, 09:05:55 pm »
Ah, okay. The reason is that the window to take action is pretty short, before the target moves to another location.
I am apparently bad at communicating here. :( What I meant is the mission spawning time window, not the expiration time window. All the HQs spawn in quick succession. I can see reasons for it, and I can also see reasons against it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: May 18, 2023, 03:53:40 pm »
I am apparently bad at communicating here. :( What I meant is the mission spawning time window, not the expiration time window. All the HQs spawn in quick succession. I can see reasons for it, and I can also see reasons against it.

You're okay, these things are related. :) Short expiration dates and narrow spawn windows.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: May 19, 2023, 12:25:56 am »
I get the short time spans - limited opportunity to act on the intel, etc. But why is all the information coming in at the same time? Is there a monthly Great Cultist Migration that the intel lady is taking advantage of? :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: May 19, 2023, 10:23:54 am »
I get the short time spans - limited opportunity to act on the intel, etc. But why is all the information coming in at the same time? Is there a monthly Great Cultist Migration that the intel lady is taking advantage of? :)

I have no bloody idea what my train of thought was almost a decade ago. :)

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: May 28, 2023, 12:55:31 am »
Sad. Had to Ctrl+D, Ctrl+K this. In theory I could explode the surface, but I think was not supposed to be a solution.
This is The Island of Dr. Alpha mission.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: May 30, 2023, 08:40:44 pm »
With 3.0 snapshot, spartanism sets PSK to 0, as the agent focuses the energies elsewhere. Except even if it gets set to zero, you can train it up (or back up). I suppose this is a bug.

Offline OwenQ

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: May 31, 2023, 06:36:10 am »
Twice now I've had this bush under the Osprey's landing ramp which blocks the whole tile. Barely noticed the first time, but now I can't squeeze this Outrunner through there. These are downed EXALT convoys in Brazil, on the jungle terrain I think. Luckily I was able to clear it with a grenade without any collateral damage.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: May 31, 2023, 12:56:25 pm »
Sad. Had to Ctrl+D, Ctrl+K this. In theory I could explode the surface, but I think was not supposed to be a solution.
This is The Island of Dr. Alpha mission.

I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Would you have a save?

With 3.0 snapshot, spartanism sets PSK to 0, as the agent focuses the energies elsewhere. Except even if it gets set to zero, you can train it up (or back up). I suppose this is a bug.

Yes, it's a bug, thank you.

Twice now I've had this bush under the Osprey's landing ramp which blocks the whole tile. Barely noticed the first time, but now I can't squeeze this Outrunner through there. These are downed EXALT convoys in Brazil, on the jungle terrain I think. Luckily I was able to clear it with a grenade without any collateral damage.

Yes, it happens, especially with bigger transports... Inevitable without sanitizing the landing blocks too much. Usually can be remedied with an explosive or cutting tool.

THink of it as a standard issue of landing a large craft in a jungle. :)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: May 31, 2023, 08:55:38 pm »
While camping inside the mudranger in Dimension X battleship mission I noticed something. Is it intentional that there are various holes in the front of it (near the access lift upstairs, which by the way makes dealing with the mission rather easy), from which you occasionally spot the enemies? The sprite does include something that looks like an openable hole, but I wonder if this is intentional. I couldn't find an angle to shoot through even if I saw the enemy, but they occasionally tried.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: June 01, 2023, 10:05:10 am »
I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Would you have a save?
No save file. Overwritten long ago.
You are looking at problem with upper tunnels generation on an underground base map (1 main entrance, 2 holes, 1 ladder inside 2 fences). As far as I know this inaccessible by lowest level part of a map is a feature, not a bug, you are suppose to access this place using upper tunnels. But this time upper tunnel part with drop hole is not connected to main tunnel network.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: June 01, 2023, 02:43:51 pm »
While camping inside the mudranger in Dimension X battleship mission I noticed something. Is it intentional that there are various holes in the front of it (near the access lift upstairs, which by the way makes dealing with the mission rather easy), from which you occasionally spot the enemies? The sprite does include something that looks like an openable hole, but I wonder if this is intentional. I couldn't find an angle to shoot through even if I saw the enemy, but they occasionally tried.

What various holes? Hatches?

No save file. Overwritten long ago.
You are looking at problem with upper tunnels generation on an underground base map (1 main entrance, 2 holes, 1 ladder inside 2 fences). As far as I know this inaccessible by lowest level part of a map is a feature, not a bug, you are suppose to access this place using upper tunnels. But this time upper tunnel part with drop hole is not connected to main tunnel network.

I can't recall a single case where some part of this map would be unavailable, and that would be a major problem, so excuse me for being a bit sceptical. I simply need an example to examine.