aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2007768 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.3 alpha: Napalm Death
« Reply #1935 on: July 12, 2018, 07:43:20 pm »
Some ammo that required extra research did get separate pages, at least in older versions. (I paid no attention to it in 0.9.2.)

Yeah, plasma and sonic ammo, due to legacy/X-Com tradition/specific lore. But mostly no.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: July 12, 2018, 10:01:03 pm »
Wow, another update already? I didn't even have time to play the last one!
Worse, what little time I have these days I play Conan: The Dark Axe, a classic/obscure game that was only known in Europe and little else. Perhaps after that though...

EDIT:
- Added unique combat analysis articles for enemy types.

Cool. Is that the thing Piratez had for a while already? If so, about time. Hopefully it will automatically give me the stats of the enemies I encountered so far, instead of having to research said analysis.

- New weapon: Napalm Grenade (Incendiary Grenade was depowered).

Well frak. Is that grenade an Elerium-produced one? I was content with incendiary grenades and replacing everything will be a pain, nevermind considering the new explosives too.
That reminds me: Do Napalm grenades cause extra incendiary damage like the Willie Pete grenades in Piratez?

- Zombies now also yield Zombie parasites on processing.

Explosive zombies, because they weren't annoying enough! Also, what use did you have with zombie parasites once you researched one? I don't recall being useful except for selling.

- MiG and Arrow can't land. Pickup now has 5 soldier spaces.

Why cannot they land?

- Plasma and fusion weapons calibration now requires Advanced Laboratory.

What happens if you already researched plasma weapons?

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: July 12, 2018, 10:26:37 pm »
I don't know how it should work, but I can tell how it worked for me.
Hopefully it will automatically give me the stats of the enemies I encountered so far, instead of having to research said analysis.
Yes, it worked that way. Next midnight I got a report that research on those topics was finished and nothing else, but Ufopaedia pages were added.

Why cannot they land?
I guess, for added realism. MiG-31 is very picky about its runways, and Arrow probably isn't better. Unlike everything else, which is stated to be VTOL or cars. Even allowing them on a secret X-COM base is a stretch, since it would require building a very visible runway :)

What happens if you already researched plasma weapons?
You keep what you already had.
P.S. Only calibration requires Advanced Lab. The weapons themselves can be researched with only Improved Lab.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 12:41:03 am by tkzv »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: July 13, 2018, 02:37:06 am »
Some ammo that required extra research did get separate pages, at least in older versions. (I paid no attention to it in 0.9.2.)

this usually only happens if the ammo either needs extensive explanation and has a page to itself, or if it is the first one you get of an additional page containing multiple types 

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: July 13, 2018, 03:02:58 am »
this usually only happens if the ammo either needs extensive explanation and has a page to itself, or if it is the first one you get of an additional page containing multiple types
I was talking about the latter.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: July 13, 2018, 02:01:17 pm »
Yes napalm grenades work like the Willy Pete from Piratez (and the Incendiary Grenade up until now).
No, it does not require Elerium, only Promo III and Explosives License.

Offline swivelchair

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: July 15, 2018, 09:00:25 am »
What is the best source of Elerium? Honestly I cant find any extraction source that I can get enough of so I am slowly running out, I really need to power my avenger, It is my only real way of keeping the alien base attacks under control. I got alot at the start from, actually i dont remember exactly where from but im definitely not finding enough now.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: July 15, 2018, 02:31:52 pm »
The most consistent source of elerium is from landed UFOs or intact engines of shot down ufos.

Beyond that it sounds as if your trying to defend against retaliations in the air, which is a losing proposition. Shooting down the UFO attacking the base only delays the assault. The mission remains active until something engages the base. Delay to many retaliations and they will keep stacking up until you are overwhelmed. Its far better to just let the occasional retaliation hit your bases and deal with them either with defense facilities or ground combat.

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: July 18, 2018, 04:15:46 pm »
Hi. First I want to say that I'm loving the modpack and I hope it gets even better! But I have some questions/ suggestions:

First how about adding flashbangs into the game which could be a early unlock?

Currently I'm struggleing to get to promotion 3 because of me not capturing live cultists, any tips?

Is the dart rifle of any use to gets stuns too?

Also I am a noob at installing and editing mods, how do I update the pack without losing my saves? I tried it once and I don't if it worked.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:32:52 pm by Thunderwing280 »

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: July 18, 2018, 08:19:49 pm »

Currently I'm struggleing to get to promotion 3 because of me not capturing live cultists, any tips?

Also I am a noob at installing and editing mods, how do I update the pack without losing my saves? I tried it once and I don't if it worked.

How did you survive for so long without capturing enough people? I suppose you meant you have trouble capturing cultists? Use ninja sticks, fists, stun batons and cattle-prods if you have them. Dart weaponry is very good and works for that quite well. Flashbangs I'm not sure if there are here, but they do in Piratez, ironically enough. Lastly, for updating, copy-paste the new files without worry about changes unless the author mentions otherwise. Also, DON'T LOAD A BATTLESCAPE MAP AFTER THE UPDATE!!!
I recommend loading an "end-of-the-month" save to be sure the new month rolls in and all new changes are correctly implemented.

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: July 18, 2018, 11:02:02 pm »
How did you survive for so long without capturing enough people? I suppose you meant you have trouble capturing cultists? Use ninja sticks, fists, stun batons and cattle-prods if you have them. Dart weaponry is very good and works for that quite well. Flashbangs I'm not sure if there are here, but they do in Piratez, ironically enough. Lastly, for updating, copy-paste the new files without worry about changes unless the author mentions otherwise. Also, DON'T LOAD A BATTLESCAPE MAP AFTER THE UPDATE!!!
I recommend loading an "end-of-the-month" save to be sure the new month rolls in and all new changes are correctly implemented.

Thanks for the tips, btw I lasted till about 2000 with promotion 2 only with UAC and Blackops Rifles. I feel like I've barely even gotten deep into the game. But what is a good time to get promotion 3? I can get to 2 within a year though, is that any good?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: July 19, 2018, 12:11:43 am »
Hi. First I want to say that I'm loving the modpack and I hope it gets even better! But I have some questions/ suggestions:

Hello! And thanks a lot!

The only viable way would be to add a grenade which doesn't damage health but time units. But time units are fully recovered at the beginning of the turn. So the only thing you could achieve with this concept is denying them reaction shots in your own turn... Still something.

Use stunning weapons - that's obvious. If you have problems, try to wound the target, kill or panic everyone else and wait until the target drops unconscious - most of the time they will survive. But also try to heal people with medikits - as an added bonus you will train Bravery.

Yes, it's a stun weapon (for now; I plan to change it a bit).

The easiest way is to unpack everything into a new folder and only move the vanilla game files and the save.

Offline MK12

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: July 28, 2018, 06:49:43 pm »
Question about gauss. I have gauss from reptoids mission. There are no new researches. Were can I view gauss specs?

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: July 30, 2018, 01:38:15 am »
Question about gauss. I have gauss from reptoids mission. There are no new researches. Were can I view gauss specs?

I believe you have to research gauss weapons to get the specs but a cheeky way to find them is to make a custom battle and flick through the UFOpedia pages when you middle click and get the specs that way.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: July 30, 2018, 05:34:38 pm »
I just looked over the stats of the Napalm grenade, and as far as i can tell it's average damaged seems to be worse than the normal incendiary grenade.

- Napalm has a base damage of 40, and can do anywhere from 20 to 60 damage (50%-150%) and has a blast radius of 3
- Incendiary has a base damge of 60, with 0 to 120 damage (0% - 200%) and has a blast radius of 6 iirc

In what scenario would the napalm grenade outclass the normal incendiary grenade? Am i missing something here?