aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 2000039 times)

Offline AnPro

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9 alpha: Fists of Fury
« Reply #1845 on: June 07, 2018, 03:28:19 am »
The link in the first post is the up to date version. And usually an update does not break saves.
Thanks

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: June 07, 2018, 02:22:49 pm »
Yup this one works well after upadate ;) tried it like 2 days ago :)

Offline leekall

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: June 12, 2018, 01:41:59 am »

Hi, I just recently downloaded the newest version of openxcom XCOM files and every time I start a mission with alien agents the game crashes. I have tried to remove certain mods and see if that is what's causing the issue that didn't work. So I tried to uninstall and reinstall the program that didn't work so I was wondering if there's a patch out there that I don't know about for this issue.

Offline Torklan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: June 12, 2018, 02:16:42 am »
I found this Mod by watching Yogscast Ben & Lewis. It got me interested in reinstalling OpenXcom again. I have been really enjoying this and I am about to start my second playthough. My only issue with the mod is the amount of enemies on some custom maps. The Apocalypse cult ones in particular. I played on the easiest difficulty to experience as much of the new content as possible without the harsh curve the vanilla game can be.

Those missions such as the gathering in the woods has 20+ units all surrounding starting location. Simply put those missions are just worth doing. At the tech level which they appear they are just not worth the guaranteed loss of agents.

Which leads me to my second concern. The locking of progression behind destruction of one of the Cults. This one fact is why I am having to restart my game. I took too long to capture the needed get to the upper tiers of the Cult missions and it became 1999. Once the invasion began almost of of the Cult missions stop appearing. Simply ending any chance to unlock Promotion III.

What would be nice is to have a second way to unlock Promotion III using an alien unlocked tech. That way there is not a hard end to the game if you take too long.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: June 12, 2018, 04:35:31 am »
Technically, you can open it via operations with the under-dark / syndicate , but yes, getting promotion 3 is STILL a rediculous challenge to those who aren't professionals at x-com.

Honestly I think a massive issue with xcom files is that solairus balances this for high end players at mid end difficulties, and last I checked, super human isn't taken as a serious option by solair (at least, last time I asked about it)

Lastly, I know some people will complain the game is "too easy", but I think these people are also some of the MUCH higher end players who meta the living hell out of the game : which is difficult in games like this, because normal players might find decent balance, but decent balance might come across as "too easy" for players who min max every element, and carefully calculate almost all decisions.

I've even seen a handful of streamers on twitch who, despite LOVING the content in XCF, end up ditching it on lower difficulties because of issues with research, and difficulties moving forward...and even with the changes a while ago to promotion 3, it still takes going through a long arc of missions in 2 years to just BEGIN to unlock equipment that is extremely necessary to even begin to fight aliens, and if you hit the invasion before that, you are essentially completely screwed : I think this particular element needs more forgiveness for less skilled player, because my last playthrough also had to be trashed for that reason.

If I might make a suggestion? Perhaps make promotion 3 unlocked from destroying a cult, and, to reward more savy players, maybe have missions that reward getting promotion 3 early, like being able to shoot down hybrid / MIB ships, to get the jump on such missions pre invasion... Its not fun having such a time limit to get the CORRECT order of research to go quickly, and its a pretty lengthy process to get promotion 3.

Alternatively, another year might be useful to deal with syndicate, underdark, ect...

UNRELATED question, will some of the engine improvements (CQC, punching, spotter sniper, hunterkiller, ECT) Be ported into FMP? I know XCF essentially has FMP, but sometimes i'd rather not be arsed with the roll up to promotion 3, especially with it being such a headache... Not to mention these effects in general are amazing, but XCF has one hell of a curve, that some people aren't ready for.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 05:38:25 am by mumble »

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: June 12, 2018, 08:40:39 am »
When is the next version of the mod expected?
I stopped the game because of problems with some maps and I hope to fix it in the next version.
Thanks for the cool game! ;)

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: June 12, 2018, 09:14:00 am »
Well...I gotta say fists make cultists, particularly the red dawn ganger, INCREDIBLY dangerous compared to before : just had a squad wipe over tazing a ganger down, taking him to the car, him waking, dodging all swings with flashlights and fists, before beating up one of my guys, grabbing his gun, and killing the other...

Speaking of which, do "surrendered" cultists not use fists?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1852 on: June 12, 2018, 12:21:08 pm »
Hi, I just recently downloaded the newest version of openxcom XCOM files and every time I start a mission with alien agents the game crashes. I have tried to remove certain mods and see if that is what's causing the issue that didn't work. So I tried to uninstall and reinstall the program that didn't work so I was wondering if there's a patch out there that I don't know about for this issue.

No, there are no known bugs of this calibre. Either you have installed the game incorrectly, or you are using other mods which are causing a conflict.
And I don't think there are many mods which would be compatible with X-Com Files at all. It's possible, but the chances are low.

I found this Mod by watching Yogscast Ben & Lewis. It got me interested in reinstalling OpenXcom again. I have been really enjoying this and I am about to start my second playthough.

Thanks a lot! Always a great pleasure to hear such praise, especially from a new player.

My only issue with the mod is the amount of enemies on some custom maps. The Apocalypse cult ones in particular. I played on the easiest difficulty to experience as much of the new content as possible without the harsh curve the vanilla game can be.

Those missions such as the gathering in the woods has 20+ units all surrounding starting location. Simply put those missions are just worth doing. At the tech level which they appear they are just not worth the guaranteed loss of agents.

What difficulty are you playing on?
I don't recall these missions being particularly challenging.

Which leads me to my second concern. The locking of progression behind destruction of one of the Cults. This one fact is why I am having to restart my game. I took too long to capture the needed get to the upper tiers of the Cult missions and it became 1999. Once the invasion began almost of of the Cult missions stop appearing. Simply ending any chance to unlock Promotion III.

There is no relation at all between the game time and spawning cult missions. You can continue into 1999 as normal. Therefore your premise is entirely false.

What would be nice is to have a second way to unlock Promotion III using an alien unlocked tech. That way there is not a hard end to the game if you take too long.

There is no need for that, and it wouldn't make much sense. Terminating one cult isn't really that hard with Promotion II equipment.

Technically, you can open it via operations with the under-dark / syndicate , but yes, getting promotion 3 is STILL a rediculous challenge to those who aren't professionals at x-com.

Orly...

Honestly I think a massive issue with xcom files is that solairus balances this for high end players at mid end difficulties, and last I checked, super human isn't taken as a serious option by solair (at least, last time I asked about it)

Of course it isn't a "serious" option, it's an option for masochists and other psychos. That's why it's the highest difficulty... This is how most computer games work, you know.

Lastly, I know some people will complain the game is "too easy", but I think these people are also some of the MUCH higher end players who meta the living hell out of the game : which is difficult in games like this, because normal players might find decent balance, but decent balance might come across as "too easy" for players who min max every element, and carefully calculate almost all decisions.

This is why we have difficulty levels!!!

I've even seen a handful of streamers on twitch who, despite LOVING the content in XCF, end up ditching it on lower difficulties because of issues with research, and difficulties moving forward...and even with the changes a while ago to promotion 3, it still takes going through a long arc of missions in 2 years to just BEGIN to unlock equipment that is extremely necessary to even begin to fight aliens, and if you hit the invasion before that, you are essentially completely screwed : I think this particular element needs more forgiveness for less skilled player, because my last playthrough also had to be trashed for that reason.

What?
I also watch streams... People playing on Superhuman and still doing fine. If anything, I think the mod is too easy at this point.

If I might make a suggestion? Perhaps make promotion 3 unlocked from destroying a cult, and, to reward more savy players, maybe have missions that reward getting promotion 3 early, like being able to shoot down hybrid / MIB ships, to get the jump on such missions pre invasion... Its not fun having such a time limit to get the CORRECT order of research to go quickly, and its a pretty lengthy process to get promotion 3.

FFS, there is no "time limit" or any silliness like that. Please stop spreading paranoia. You make X-Com Files look like some insanely hard SNES game, while in fact it's pretty forgiving. Unless you insist on winning every battle ever, then it becomes really hard, and rightly so.

Alternatively, another year might be useful to deal with syndicate, underdark, ect...

No, there is more than enough time. I've seen Dioxine finishing off Red Dawn in like 6 months... :P Admittedly Dioxine is a top player (he did it with a goddamn helicopter and 6 people), but there is much more time until 1999. And even if you're late, it doesn't really change anything.

UNRELATED question, will some of the engine improvements (CQC, punching, spotter sniper, hunterkiller, ECT) Be ported into FMP? I know XCF essentially has FMP, but sometimes i'd rather not be arsed with the roll up to promotion 3, especially with it being such a headache... Not to mention these effects in general are amazing, but XCF has one hell of a curve, that some people aren't ready for.

No, FMP is for vanilla OpenXCom, so no OXCE features will be used.

When is the next version of the mod expected?
I stopped the game because of problems with some maps and I hope to fix it in the next version.
Thanks for the cool game! ;)

The next version shouldn't be far away (maybe this weekend), but what map problems do you mean? It sounds like a serious issue and I am completely unaware of it. The exception being Railyard, which sometimes creates impassable maps on "Arrest the suspects" missions - this will be fixed.

Well...I gotta say fists make cultists, particularly the red dawn ganger, INCREDIBLY dangerous compared to before : just had a squad wipe over tazing a ganger down, taking him to the car, him waking, dodging all swings with flashlights and fists, before beating up one of my guys, grabbing his gun, and killing the other...

Brilliant!
However, I wouldn't say that a prisoner waking up, beating up armed guards and taking their weapons counts as "incredibly dangerous"... The guards are simply incompetent. :D
Prisoners should be guarded, eh?

Speaking of which, do "surrendered" cultists not use fists?

No idea XD They should.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: June 12, 2018, 01:14:29 pm »
Dioxne beat red dawn cult in 6 months? I don't even grasp how this is possible... Research alone I figure would take longer than that. Still... I wouldn't say the game is too easy. Like you said, super human is for "psychos and weirdos...and dioxne".

As for streamers, I guess it depends who you are talking about...for poet, and a couple others, who are hard as balls into the xcom meta, sure, but people who play vanilla xcom and want a sort of transfer into mods, this seems a little harsh later in. I understand its a bit more of a challenge, but I fear a lot of the difficulty isn't reflected by the difficulty SETTING : research is still a bit tedious, you are still outnumbered, and outgunned....I don't know, I'd really like to see the videos of dioxne getting red dawn killed in 6 months, just to see how hes researching and using his money, it takes me around a month just to get vans and kevlar it seems like...

Incompetent guards?....well...yeah, probably  :-X I guess I didn't expect it to be so nasty, before downed enemies would be perfectly safe if you kept them away from downed guns, now they are a force to be reckoned with... I almost wish we could beat downed enemies with a night stick like a stereotypical "police brutality" clip, so enemies stay down. Using tazer clips to keep enemies down is funny, but higher maintenance than just hitting them. Regardless this makes capturing much more harsh, especially with numbers, and long battles.  Taking in NINJAS is going to be horrifying now if they wake up O_O

I'm not sure if you are able, but I think surrendered enemies should really not punch.... honestly I've wondered if enemies could be made to take massive stun as a possible panic effect, to simulate them basically laying on the ground with their hands behind their head, maybe with a white flag symbol, and maybe allowed to join the battle if out of XCOM sight, but in the sight of another cultist...would make captures a little more manageable, without idiots running everywhere causing reaction fire.

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: June 12, 2018, 02:29:06 pm »
I'm not sure if you are able, but I think surrendered enemies should really not punch.... honestly I've wondered if enemies could be made to take massive stun as a possible panic effect, to simulate them basically laying on the ground with their hands behind their head, maybe with a white flag symbol, and maybe allowed to join the battle if out of XCOM sight, but in the sight of another cultist...would make captures a little more manageable, without idiots running everywhere causing reaction fire.
You still have the option "STR_CUT_THROAT:" - the "coup de grĂ¢ce" !
This option is very practical!  :)  :)  ;)
Especially if they're of little interest.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1855 on: June 12, 2018, 04:17:09 pm »
Please, please...
1) Beating Red Dawn took me more than 6 months; more like 12 :)
2) I did not play Superhuman, but Genius. I don't have penis size issues. :)
3) I played before enemy Snipers, Hunter-Killers and punchies. So I'm a bit outdated :)
4) Having said that, I advanced much faster than Poet. By July-August 1998 I started to have more money than I could ever spend - thanks for the option to buy Alloy Ammo from Magma, deals like these allow to squander huge sums on a bit of extra performance, I would like to see more of that :)

As for prisoners waking up, that story was brilliant. I applaud the Red Dawn ganger! If he was able to bring down 2 armed guards, good for him.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1856 on: June 12, 2018, 04:30:05 pm »
Dioxne beat red dawn cult in 6 months? I don't even grasp how this is possible... Research alone I figure would take longer than that. Still... I wouldn't say the game is too easy. Like you said, super human is for "psychos and weirdos...and dioxne".

To be honest I am not sure if it was within 6 months, maybe a bit more. But he didn't have the Dragonfly yet, so it couldn't have been much longer. Also, he wasn't playing on Superhuman :P (I think it was Genius.)
Still, it was just an example.

As for streamers, I guess it depends who you are talking about...for poet, and a couple others, who are hard as balls into the xcom meta, sure, but people who play vanilla xcom and want a sort of transfer into mods, this seems a little harsh later in. I understand its a bit more of a challenge, but I fear a lot of the difficulty isn't reflected by the difficulty SETTING : research is still a bit tedious, you are still outnumbered, and outgunned....I don't know, I'd really like to see the videos of dioxne getting red dawn killed in 6 months, just to see how hes researching and using his money, it takes me around a month just to get vans and kevlar it seems like...

If you fail, you learn. And restart. And learn some more. This is a computer game. I thought it should be obvious?
I mean, what value would it have if it came effortlessly? For effortless fun we have RedTube. :P
As a modder/designer, I am primarily concerned with the game beingvfair. Which I think I delivered. And I disagree that it requires special meta knowledge, except maybe some unclear articles - I am working on them.

Incompetent guards?....well...yeah, probably  :-X I guess I didn't expect it to be so nasty, before downed enemies would be perfectly safe if you kept them away from downed guns, now they are a force to be reckoned with... I almost wish we could beat downed enemies with a night stick like a stereotypical "police brutality" clip, so enemies stay down. Using tazer clips to keep enemies down is funny, but higher maintenance than just hitting them. Regardless this makes capturing much more harsh, especially with numbers, and long battles.  Taking in NINJAS is going to be horrifying now if they wake up O_O

But they are still unarmed, while you are not. Also, some police brutality is still perfectly valid with tonfas and the like. :D (except beating unconscious people)
Having said that, I appreciate that situations like you described earlier will happen sometimes. But that's X-Com for you! Such cases make for great stories, as long as the design is good.

Well, not much I can do here... "Surrendered" enemies can use weapons like everyone else, so why would punching be any different?

EDIT: Ninja'd by Dioxine. :D

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: June 12, 2018, 05:44:50 pm »
I do wonder how hard it would be to enable beating downed enemies, without killing them.....

By the way, forgot to mention with that story : it was at night, 2 agents, in a shanty town in india, so....he juked me in the dark, hard.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1858 on: June 12, 2018, 09:08:13 pm »
You can further stun them when they're down, geez. Use a shooting or AoE weapon. You should really learn more before complaining about perceived lack of options.
There's of course a downside: they might die of overstun.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: June 13, 2018, 12:31:34 am »
Dioxine, i SPECIFICALLY said beating, didn't I? I normally already taze downed enemies to over-stun, but tazers and such are in limited supply, compared to the end of a shock baton.

I'm aware we can also EXECUTE enemies with melee, but IIRC, this just instantly kills em when you hold both, and use melee on the held  body.