aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.4: Daggers for Hire  (Read 2380302 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.4: Daggers for Hire
« Reply #6240 on: October 07, 2024, 03:52:00 pm »
But that was not my main point; the main point of my comment was that space 50 requirement seemed inconsistent with the other, even bigger crafts, which require less space.

You're right, I streamlined this aspect. Thanks!

Offline coorta88

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: October 11, 2024, 09:01:37 am »
Are there any plans regarding Jarheads? Currently last missions and research are about Jarhead factories, but there are still unanswered questions about who/what was producing Jarheads and for what reason ?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: October 12, 2024, 11:35:57 am »
Are there any plans regarding Jarheads? Currently last missions and research are about Jarhead factories, but there are still unanswered questions about who/what was producing Jarheads and for what reason ?

I'd like to expand on that. Jarheads are basically T'leth tech, like Gillmen, except lower tech and outsourced to the surface.

I've been meaning to add more missions and lore here, but had no inspiration. Ideas welcome :)

Offline coorta88

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: October 12, 2024, 04:07:13 pm »
I'd like to expand on that. Jarheads are basically T'leth tech, like Gillmen, except lower tech and outsourced to the surface.

I've been meaning to add more missions and lore here, but had no inspiration. Ideas welcome :)

Well it is not an easy thing but I will try and think of something.

Warning spoilers below for motivations of aliens, other factions and tleth

Spoiler:
To start with we must first define what are goals of Tleth aliens. As it is present in this mod, it is probably total conqest of earth, eradiction of all opposition, and extermination of mankind which is different from goals of other major factions -
1/etraterrestial aliens - want to probably take control of earth via combination of demonstrations of military superiority and diplomacy as it seems that earth and its population has some value for them and they do not want to see earth destroyed and its population eradicated
2/space nazis - want to probably either directly take control over earth via military means to force changes they desire or (even if defeated) at least force such evolution human military and society , that humans will be able to seize their "destiny" as masters of solar system
3/reptoids - want to enslave humanity and take control over earth
4/cyberweb - probably want to take control over earth as well, but not sure about that with their mad scientistcs vibe.

With goals defined we should check about how Tleth wants to achieve its goal.

To me it seems that they want to achieve it via old fashioned military conquest, but at the start of game in 1997 they are far from being ready for such massive undertaking. So they are biding their time, creating various footsoldiers for their future conquests, using chaos of various cults, factions, other major factions to snatch "valuable genetic material" for their experiments, perform recon of their future opposition on earth and offer support to madmen from Cult of Dgaon, who if succesful would hand entire earth on platter to their alien masters.

Jarhead or biomechanical humanoid body housing human brain is similar in essence to another alien creation - biodrone, which is small mechanical flying saucer housing human/alien brain, but their function is completely different. Biodrone is light assault unit and "guard dog" of various alien installations while jarheads are basically secret agents, whose goal should be to infiltrate important locations, gather intel and assasinate key personel.

If you want Jarheads to be creation of Tleth technology (and not for example secret men in black or syndicate assasins - which in my opinion is a better fit) in missions with Jarhead factory should be at least some cultists technical personal operating such facility - maybe remnants of cult of Dagon, who despite majority of its organistion being destroyed continue to serve their allien masters, supplemented by aquatioids.

Jarhead terror missions should probably be replaced by something similar to reptoid assasination missions as it does not make much sense to deploy jarheads as shock troopers (which they are not), when they are perfect infiltration and assasination agents. Such mission should be covert operation with your agents starting in city mansion, which is surrounded by jarheads with few jarheads already present directly in mansion.

Ultimately threat of Jarheads should be ended via underwater mission, in which you destroy main control center, which controls actions of jarheads globally combined with destruction of tasoth factory, which should force Tleth aliens to end majority of their (current) plans
regarding surface to concetrate on their bare survival.

Offline Barghum

• Captain
  • Doing my best to help (:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: October 12, 2024, 08:29:39 pm »
Response to coorta88's quite well written post (an unholy amount of spoilers below)

Spoiler:
4/Cyberweb - probably want to take control over earth as well, but not sure about that with their mad scientists vibe.
I always saw them as simple unhinged scientists whom value technological advancement over all else
and when said technological advancement led them to dimension X they chose to align themselves with the dimension X aliens (man we need a way to say that that does not take 84 years) in exchange for the technology needed to build the battleship they use.

Jarhead terror missions should probably be replaced by something similar to reptoid assasination missions as it does not make much sense to deploy jarheads as shock troopers (which they are not)
unless this is either a test of their combat ability, a strategic error, or they made a shock troop variant.

but that's all I have to say

Offline coorta88

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: October 13, 2024, 05:32:32 pm »
Are there any plan regarding somewhat comical looking X-com tanks (they basically look somewhat similar to children toys) ? Would it not be possible for X-com tanks to look like MAGMA tanks ?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: October 14, 2024, 01:35:02 pm »
@coorta88 and @Barghum: Thanks for the feedback, I'll add some more lore at least to clear things up.

Are there any plan regarding somewhat comical looking X-com tanks (they basically look somewhat similar to children toys) ? Would it not be possible for X-com tanks to look like MAGMA tanks ?

I don't think they look like toys, they are in line with X-Com graphics in general. If anything, M.A.G.M.A. tanks are pushing it, they're a bit too blocky compared to most things in the game.

Anyway, I don't foresee replacing X-Com tanks with anything, since other designs (like M.A.G.M.A.) does not allow for rotating turret - positioning issues.

EDIT: made another mission with Jarheads.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2024, 04:54:37 pm by Solarius Scorch »