aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.4: Daggers for Hire  (Read 2359515 times)

Offline termidor

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.4: Daggers for Hire
« Reply #6225 on: September 30, 2024, 01:50:02 am »

But they don't care about your progress, they work on their own clock, just like Cydonians. So I can't really make it dependent on your knowledge. I think it's fine as is.

True, but it's also not that easy, I think.
Is mainly that I find it a bit narratively strange: X-com doesn't know yet about the underground and yet  the reptoids are launching attacks without much clear explanation, and an interogation of the reptoid agents would be spoiling that reasearch chain for example.

Regarding power armor, I got it on may 1999 before even laser weapons construction as they shared requitements in Elirium battery. From january I got two tower of desolation missions while I'm stuck on underground progression (Brutal Ai is brutal on caves). At the very least I think putting Terramite an advanced lab requirements would limit such power gap, as pretty much every other power suit is locked behind adv lab.
But how?
Well Hydra laser is stated to be low tech (and could probably show up in Syndicate loadups), but I was thinking more in relation of Hybrid scientists. With the exception of laser assault , the alien laser rifle and laser smg are very comparable to tritanium weapons, so maybe explain it as having simplified tech for ease of manufacture or smth like that (as otherwise the aliens would just use plasma weapons) that is different from the latter elirium battery weapons. Alien drones for example also use the tech and X-com doesn't have much issues rebuilding wrecked models (which may have their  batteries busted for example).

Some additional commentary I forgot to add or showed up:
- Xeno shield armor could add armor to the side of the shield considering that voxel fuckery can translate frontal shield  hits into a side hit.
- Osirion fixer armor values don't match the ones of a player tritanium vest.
- The multi rocket could probably do more damage.
- It would be fun to be able to set two waypoints in the heavy GL auto fire
- Chainsaw and Macro saw don't show in ufopedia front page that they do multiple attacks which is a bit misleading.
- No tamed minotaurs on missions :(
- Hybrid embassadies seem to pop very frecuently, took down three of then already. Also in regards to hybrid reaserch, it feels like they mostly give more missions but facing similar enemies/getting equal rewards than having the storyline like other factions.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6226 on: September 30, 2024, 03:15:10 pm »
I don't see STR_ZOMBIE_HIVE in eventScripts_XCOMFILES.rul file!

Why would a mission be in eventScripts...

Well, you know how bad I am at keeping saves...

No, I don't. Why would I, exactly?

Anyway, no problem, maybe another time.

Maybe this is intentional, and a result of division between completely AI-controlled robotic units versus human-driven units.

Yes.

I suppose the driver has some kind of dead man's switch, and once the driver gets killed by gas, the armored car will explode...

More like, if a unit explodes, I don't have 100% control over what triggers it.

1.Some unique Black lotus HQ dungeon as it is still using slightly modified TFTD X-com base.

3.Some unique Syndicate dungeon as it is still using slightly modified TFTD X-com base (if I´m mistaken in this since in 3.4 version I´ve not destroyed Syndicate HQ so far, only in versions 2.9, 3.1, 3.3 then I apologise for my mistake).

I would say it's pretty extensively modified (I started Bullet Designer's Space Marine base for the 40k mod), but if you still think it's too similar, fair enough.

2.Similar information messages for Syndicate, Cyberweb as those you can intercept from Black Lotus, Red Dawn, Exalt, Cult of Dagon /just some flavour text to inform you how they view your progress towards their destruction).

Yeah; I've gotten more requests about this, so I'll think about it.

And thanks for good work.

Thanks!

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: September 30, 2024, 05:36:33 pm »
Why would a mission be in eventScripts...
Aren't stuff in in eventScripts are missions also? ... I got it. It is popup messages... Silly me!  :-[
Found STR_ZOMBIE_HIVE in missionScripts_XCOMFILES.rul.
So 15% after Infector researched? This is extremely strange. I haven't seen this mission not only in my last playthrough, but also in the previous one...

Next time I should be mentally prepared to essentially stuck at secondary plots because of low chances...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: September 30, 2024, 07:50:45 pm »
Well, RNG is a main feature of XCF. That's as designed :)

Offline coorta88

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: September 30, 2024, 08:33:46 pm »

I would say it's pretty extensively modified (I started Bullet Designer's Space Marine base for the 40k mod), but if you still think it's too similar, fair enough.

I mainly mean second floor of both syndicate and Black Lotus base as first floor is mostly fine although for Black Lotus base I would use more oriental textures - similar to one used in Golden academy missions. And remove Large Sonar as parts of rooms for both Black Lotus and Syndicate as thematically they don´t make much sense in their bases.

As on second floor you can still find various rooms from TFTD there. Why not replace them with Japanes/Chinese style quarters, various exercise rooms etc....

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: September 30, 2024, 10:13:56 pm »
I mainly mean second floor of both syndicate and Black Lotus base as first floor is mostly fine although for Black Lotus base I would use more oriental textures - similar to one used in Golden academy missions.

As on second floor you can still find various rooms from TFTD there. Why not replace them with Japanes/Chinese style quarters, various exercise rooms etc....

Maybe I'll do something about that, but it's very time-consuming and I have more pressing matters (like a more distinct EXALT HQ, I don't like the current option much).

And remove Large Sonar as parts of rooms for both Black Lotus and Syndicate as thematically they don´t make much sense in their bases.

Frankly, it makes sense; they have radars and shit.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: October 01, 2024, 08:38:14 pm »
Apparently you can set poltergeists on fire (e.g. shrapnel rockets) so they become visible from far off. Not sure if this is intentional. I suppose you could argue either way.

Offline rkagerer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: October 02, 2024, 07:52:18 am »
Solarius, I was reading through all your replies here - wow!  We're so fortunate for the level of community engagement provided by you and the other folks maintaining this mod.  Thanks!
Quote from: Solarius Scorch
I'm considering moving [Kitsune] a bit further.

Not a bad idea.  I think I got it kind of early in my game, and it's been a very welcome godsend - but in retrospect maybe a little too much so.

I didn't get the...
Spoiler:
Avro Arrow
...until way too late to be of any use, which was kind of sad.  Don't know if it was another quirk of my particular progression but It'd be cool if that came a little earlier.

I was sad to see Kukri nerfed in a recent update, but totally understand how it was warranted.

I really hate to say it, because it's my absolute favorite "crutch" of a weapon, but I kind of feel like Nitro Express Rifle might be a little overpowered as well (with high-accuracy soldiers).  It's mid-1999 and I'm still having trouble putting them down.  A slight reduction to the Power bonus would encourage the switch to BlackOps [Smart] Rifle and Auto-Sniper Rifle a little earlier.  I'm on the cusp of Laser weapons now, and I didn't really use either of those BlackOps upgrades throughout the game (which I recognize is probably unusual).

This is only my first playthrough so won't be offended if my feedback is taken with a grain of salt.
...I took the message about when the war was going to start to mean that I needed radar and interceptor coverage by then. I managed it, but I felt super overprepared. Not sure that's worth doing anything on your part, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Me too!  I was a little uncertain exactly what it meant, and wound up with more F16's than I needed, hanging around burning cash ;-).

I also want to echo comments from others about how you really nailed the progression of the game.  That must be such a hard factor to keep on track as you tweak the mod, but so far I've found the pacing has provided continuing challenge and interest.  Maybe a few more missions than I'd like (particularly zombie ones) but that's just because I'm taking a 'completionist' approach (I haven't ignored one yet, and really ought to start ignoring those low-impact ones).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2024, 07:54:07 am by rkagerer »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: October 02, 2024, 08:54:50 pm »
Not a bad idea.  I think I got it kind of early in my game, and it's been a very welcome godsend - but in retrospect maybe a little too much so.

I added an extra requirement: "X-Com History: X-Com Bureau". This moves the Kitsune forward to solid midgame, as it depends on the Syndicate arc.

I didn't get the... [spoilered]...until way too late to be of any use, which was kind of sad.  Don't know if it was another quirk of my particular progression but It'd be cool if that came a little earlier.

I'll think about it, but it's kind of hard to fit it earlier. A fighter plane needs military grade weapons, and these are heavily restricted.

I was sad to see Kukri nerfed in a recent update, but totally understand how it was warranted.

On the other hand, there's a tritanium version now! :)

I really hate to say it, because it's my absolute favorite "crutch" of a weapon, but I kind of feel like Nitro Express Rifle might be a little overpowered as well (with high-accuracy soldiers).  It's mid-1999 and I'm still having trouble putting them down.  A slight reduction to the Power bonus would encourage the switch to BlackOps [Smart] Rifle and Auto-Sniper Rifle a little earlier.  I'm on the cusp of Laser weapons now, and I didn't really use either of those BlackOps upgrades throughout the game (which I recognize is probably unusual).

I think it's fine, considering how much of a pain it is to use. Also, few players seem to like it. So I'll assume it's a playstyle thing.

Me too!  I was a little uncertain exactly what it meant, and wound up with more F16's than I needed, hanging around burning cash ;-).

I hope to add more flying hostile stuff. :)

I also want to echo comments from others about how you really nailed the progression of the game.  That must be such a hard factor to keep on track as you tweak the mod, but so far I've found the pacing has provided continuing challenge and interest.  Maybe a few more missions than I'd like (particularly zombie ones) but that's just because I'm taking a 'completionist' approach (I haven't ignored one yet, and really ought to start ignoring those low-impact ones).

Thanks a lot. I'm still not that happy with late game pacing, though...

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: October 02, 2024, 09:58:09 pm »
I added an extra requirement: "X-Com History: X-Com Bureau". This moves the Kitsune forward to solid midgame, as it depends on the Syndicate arc.

Are you sure this is balanced?

How are you supposed to deal with the three syndicate second phase missions (all with 8-16 hour timers) without a fast craft (or at least the secret archives raid)?

Essentially this requires capturing aliens, building up your alloy pool and building a SKY craft. (Which is nice in a sense because currently they're waste of time and alloys. And this also delays the player's access to "camp in the craft" tactics as SKY crafts have open-ended ramp.) But this will also mean dependence on RNG on capturing aliens and alloys. And most importantly, probably multiple months trying to repeat the syndicate phase two missions, because those crafts are only 1/3 or 1/2 the speed of Kitsune and it is unlikely you will reach them in time even with the faster SKY* craft. (And some of those, at least reactor raid, you will definitely want to do at night if you are forced to use an open-ended craft.)

Further, this creates a dependency on Jarhead missions, which are very RNG-prone (your best bet is letting dagons build a tier 2 manor). If the player doesn't realize this, the player could go most of the game without getting Kitsune.

At the very least, I'd increase the syndicate second phase mission timers significantly, and even then I think this would come to be a major PITA for players who don't know the optimal path to getting jarheads.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: October 03, 2024, 02:13:32 pm »

No, I'm not.

How are you supposed to deal with the three syndicate second phase missions (all with 8-16 hour timers) without a fast craft (or at least the secret archives raid)?

So Kitsune is essential for specifically this part? That's an odd statement. I mean, sure it's useful, but certainly not the only way to get there on time. That's how I see it anyway.

Essentially this requires capturing aliens, building up your alloy pool and building a SKY craft. (Which is nice in a sense because currently they're waste of time and alloys. And this also delays the player's access to "camp in the craft" tactics as SKY crafts have open-ended ramp.) But this will also mean dependence on RNG on capturing aliens and alloys. And most importantly, probably multiple months trying to repeat the syndicate phase two missions, because those crafts are only 1/3 or 1/2 the speed of Kitsune and it is unlikely you will reach them in time even with the faster SKY* craft. (And some of those, at least reactor raid, you will definitely want to do at night if you are forced to use an open-ended craft.)

Yeah, but is it really that wrong? In the worst case you won't be able to get to these missions ,it's not like you will lose the campaign because of it.

Further, this creates a dependency on Jarhead missions, which are very RNG-prone (your best bet is letting dagons build a tier 2 manor). If the player doesn't realize this, the player could go most of the game without getting Kitsune.

I'd rather give more solid opportunities to meet Jarheads. I'm open to suggestions.

At the very least, I'd increase the syndicate second phase mission timers significantly, and even then I think this would come to be a major PITA for players who don't know the optimal path to getting jarheads.

No. This sounds like unnecessary panic; swallow the penalty and keep going. Try again next month.

Offline termidor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: Today at 12:45:04 am »

You can have multiple aircrafts, and I have done then without the Kitsune in the past (a form of challenge as I didn't build the craft).

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: Today at 09:47:46 am »
Until and unless a better solution presents itself, I would suggest adding some jarhead pretenders to the Dagon HQ mission. That would ensure that if you complete the Dagon arch, you will get access to EMP stuff (and eventually Kitsune). My current 3.5 snapshot campaign (August 1998) is currently crippled by the fact that Dagons have not spawned any manors and I have not been able to kill them off because otherwise I would not get EMP or Kitsune.

Speaking of which, apparently manufacturing SKYMARSHALL requires 50 space, SKYRANGER 40 and SKYRAIDER 30. Essentially you require two workshops to build one at a reasonable space. The space required by SKYMARSHALL seems excessive and inconsistent with the fact that even bigger, and later game crafts, IRONFIST and AVENGER, only take 45 space.

Btw. it also seems inconsistent that you can research and produce SHADOW SUITs which have inbuilt Halo projector without Improved Lab, while researching and building independent halo grenades requires Improved Lab. I'd expect that both or neither require Improved Lab.