Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1951532 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 1.9: Free Falling
« Reply #4275 on: August 13, 2021, 09:52:31 pm »
Note that I'm not actually criticising 30+ beetles, etc, in and of itself, even if others justifiably might. Usually, I'm very much the kind of player that likes punishing odds to puzzle myself out of, even repeatedly. I've played a humongous amount of (modded) Xenonauts, where the missions are all very much alike and the terrain and objectives are miles less varied than in OpenXcom. I get mental fatigue after a while, but nowhere as fast as in XCF.

I'm not 100% sure why that is, but I suspect it's the unreliability and lack of strong upgrades/options. Vanilla X-Com and Xeno give you tools that do meaningfully different things - or are just plain better - at a reasonable pace. Vanilla doesn't do it a lot, but it's a very short game in comparison.

Here, the 0-200% damage model, smaller upgrade increments and generally higher enemy stats mean every gun is unreliable, even when I move to 2d100. (I don't exactly know why the latter still feels so unreliable. Possibly self-delusion. :-[ ) There are quite a few maps that are just crowded with enemies. Concealment is an illusion due to omnipresent snipers. Melee is a game of death tag (everyone is a Chryssalid now :o). A large part of stat development is gated behind grinding a zillion commendations, and combat is lethal, so you can lose a huge time investment just like that. You can carry little gear on any one person. There's a lot of situational weaponry that isn't all that different, especially since any shot can become a graze and overkill is actually detrimental. You're stuck with relatively same-y stuff for months at a time.

None of it is a deal-killer on its own, but the sum total, especially after I've played the mod a few times, is that I'm asking myself "Is it really worth my time to play this? Or do I cheat and spend that extra time on my own projects?".

Basically, it looks very much like Phoenix Point's equipment sidegrades/tech grass on a larger scale. So Solarius is in good company, design-wise. ;D

Edit: I guess some of this fatigue is kinda unavoidable in a megamod. I recall playing the Urban Chaos mod for JA2 years ago, going through several cities of deadly close combat with largely scavenged weaponry, and then asking myself: "Does it feel like work? Why am I playing this, then?" And I very much like JA2. It's certainly the superior tactical game when compared to any incarnation of X-Com. So there's a 'too much of a good thing' vibe, too.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 10:41:32 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4276 on: August 20, 2021, 05:01:43 pm »
Scorch, a year ago I wrote to you about adding a special suit for a sniper to the game,which gives excellent camouflage, but very much cuts mobility. Then you said that you would think about it,so what do you say about it ?

I haven't made this specifically, but I've added several new outfits since then, including the recent NightOps. None of them has objectively better camo than the Jumpsuit, since I am really worried it'd make the AI unfairly clueless, but hopefully you'll find something to your liking.

Also, a huge request, add a tracked version of a tritanium tank to the game,it's just that the hovertank looks flawed and funny and not at all brutal.

Well, now all tanks are tritanium tanks... :)

And also, regarding UAC. If we find a BFG, can we add Praetorian Armor to the game in addition to this ? Something like " A mysterious set of armor created from a material unknown to science. We fired at it with all sorts of weapons,but the hits do not even leave a scratch on it. During the test, the agent who dressed him entered a state of extreme aggression and a thirst for murder, gaining superhuman strength, reaction and endurance. The influence of the suit greatly affects the agent's morale, so he can not withstand its impact for a long time,causing a nervous breakdown, but it is noticed that murders bring an inexplicable sense of satisfaction. A strange mark is drawn on the helmet, there are no similar ones in human history. The presence of demons nearby causes its bright red glow. Interestingly, if demons see this mark, it causes them an uncontrollable attack of the strongest horror. The technologies of this suit are beyond our understanding,we are not able to create even something similar."

Possibly, although it sounds like a UAC outfit, not necessarily appropriate to X-Com. Regardless, I am planning some notable changes to the UAC arc, but it's too early to think about such particular matters.

Out of curiousity, I've never heard of this suit. Is it from some new Doom? (Last one I played was Doom II, lel)

Scorch,Also, I would like to ask you to fix the EXALT Bouncers, namely their night vision.

Sorry, EXALT who???
I really have no idea who you're talking about. I can't recall adding any bouncers...

Also, please add fragmentation grenades to the game.In the game we have a high-explosive grenade(offensive( RGD-5,M61)),but there are no defensive(F-1). It would deal cutting damage and cover a larger radius, but it would cause extremely little damage to objects.You can say that there is a tritanium grenade, but it sets fire to the surface and is already an alien technology,but what about our human capabilities ? We can take a look at X-COM 2012 , there are two types of grenades that give different tactical capabilities. You will say, why is this necessary ? Well, here's the situation for you - your squad has taken up defense in the house, and the enemy has already come close to the walls. If we throw an ordinary grenade at them,we will break the wall,that is,our potential shelter,after which we will be shot like ducks, but if we throw a fragmentation one, then the enemy will kill and the wall will be whole, allowing us to continue firing from cover. The same applies to alien ships,when the enemy is in a room with energy cells, and you don't want to break them at all,a fragmentation grenade comes to our aid. Appearance ? In X-piratez there is a green color option.Since you are in contact with the author of this mod ,this will not be a problem(we recall the sawn-off shot taken from there).

Hmm, so this type of grnade would have decreased terrain destruction? That's doable.

Also, please add lethal gas grenades.There is no need to go far for examples,the M7A3 grenade is in service with the USA.What for? The answer to this question will arise when you meet with the super soldiers of the syndicate or with the special forces of the red dawn, whom you pick one by one ,the whole team, to no avail with your rifle, and they only laugh in response, calling you clowns.

How exactly would it work? Something like gas weapons in Piratez?

Also, I would like to ask you to rebalance the RPG-7, namely its receipt. You get it after 3 boosts, but you also get a launcher. You look at the RPG and the launcher and think what to take.You see the damage of the launcher and all questions disappear. Yes, the launcher does not have such a penetration of armor as an RPG,but it is needed only for MIB tanks, nowhere else, in other cases it is much worse.And I am now talking about the 3rd increase,this is most likely the end of 1998-the beginning of 99, when the invasion is already beginning. Sectoids with a chance of 30-45 percent will withstand an RPG shot, but a heavy rocket from the launcher does not leave them a chance,which means that the player will use the launcher to avoid unnecessary risk,and the RPG will lie and be covered with dust.

The RPG is indeed worse, but can be found in the field, whereas the launcher generally cannot (with minor exceptions). But I agree that they shouldn't appear at exactly the same time...

The idea of the weapon itself is very interesting,a light rocket launcher that causes less damage than a launcher, a more compact ammunition, allowing you to have 7 shots ,not 4, less TU for shooting and reloading, allowing you to charge and shoot in one turn. I really like how the RPG is implemented in X-piratez.A wide variety of missiles allows it to be relevant at all stages of the game.What do I suggest:1-The player gets an RPG after 2 upgrades, but only with a high-explosive missile,getting an anti-tank one on 3 upgrades.This will give the player a good explosive weapon that will help in the fight against the impenetrable special forces of the red dawn and with the super soldiers of the syndicate,as well as give the opportunity to destroy objects at an acceptable level.

Hmm, I had similar thoughts, but this is the level where you get normal grenades and industrial explosives... The RPG is a purely military weapon, therefore belonging strictly in the Promo 3 category.
I'd rather move the rocket launcher a bit further down the line, although I don't really know how far exactly and what should be the prerequisite.

A grenade launcher? This is rather an early version of the mortar, no more.It is good because it shoots with a canopy, allowing you to attack enemies behind obstacles, but not break them.It is not necessary to compare it with rocket launchers,these are different types of weapons.

Agreed!

2-Add thermobaric,tritanium and plasma rockets for RPG to the game. A tritanium rocket will have an even greater armor penetration than an anti-tank one,but the explosion radius will be extremely small(1 cell),a thermobaric rocket is incendiary, but the fire damage is significant,I will not talk about a plasma rocket,we all already know what plasma is and how it hurts.This will allow you to update it at all stages of the game.The player will have a choice-a light mobile rocket launcher with medium damage or a heavy launcher with colossal destructive power and the ability to shoot guided missiles,but it is heavy and slow.I think this will add a choice for the player in tactical terms, and when a player has a choice,it is extremely good.

Adding many warhead types is tempting, but I wonder if it won't impact the other launchers... There's this, the UAC Launcher, the Multi-Launcher, the Rocket Launcher, the Advanced Rocket Launcher, the Small Launcher and the Blaster Launcher (and I probably missed one or two). Plus mortars, vehicles etc. on top of it. Do we really need so many types on each rocket weapon? Or maybe divide missile trypes between different missile weapons?

Regarding the subsequent discussiuon on night vision: you can check which enemy has it by examining their armour entry (the INFO button).

Some fun, too. Chupacabra Neighbourhood Watch? ;D

Haha! :D

Bro fuck Osiron in their well-dressed asses. Their missions are so valuable, but it feels worthless bringing anything above rookie to fight them when you got bastards with RPGs willing to frag themselves in melee range. That said, 10+ Osiron crates > a dragonfly full of rookies.

Osiron indeed is hard. But it's sort of an extra challenge, completely optional in most cases, so up to the player.

Question: is the new stuff talking about the Illuminati and the Majestic 12 a hint we'll be fighting them at some point? I can imagine that doing so might have undesirable effects on your score given their influence over the Council...unless you can spin it as exposing their crimes to the world or establishing X-COM as a fully independent faction or something.

Not to spoil too much, but you're already doing both... :)

Acid Bolt conceived as a grenade?
I think we should add a "grenade" tag to it. To make it easier to find when rigging a ship

No problem, done.

Maybe these are intended, but the drone fire extinguisher is different from the regular one (produces smoke and not water)

I changed the standard extinguisher a couple days ago to work the same way.

the smoke projector is weaker than a smoke grenade

But it's instant. Also, you can deploy multiple per turn. In short, as designed.

and the bioelectric taser batteries are a really raw deal (three +25% effect shots per Muckstar corpse, which don't exactly grow on trees).

It's so much better though!
(And later on, you'll be able to buy monster-related items for cash.)

Edit: Wonder what these fellows are up to that requires them to land in the middle of nowhere, sneak into a barn attic and hold conference there? They even have a lookout by the stairs! ;D

They were all soldiers, too... Worktoids' revolution? :o

I wish I knew! :D

And finally, on the subject of fatigue, number of missions and soldier survivability: I am struggling all the time between making agent development meaningful (so they need to get stronger over time) but also making them replaceable (so the difference between a rookie and a veteran cannot be too great). I've made a lot of changes relatively recently to reinforce the latter, since losing experienced men was too punishing (it was nearly impossible to reliably replace them). There was also a bug (fixed this spring) where gym training only worked at 10% efficiency, which made matters even worse.
To address this, I increased rookies' stats (so now you can train less in the gym, but the final numbers are the same). I also made the Sick Bay available more easily, so you could enhance your dudes with the Red Dawn serum earlier. Hopefully this will ameliorate things.
Perhaps the bonuses you get from commendations are too good, but I don't want to remove them.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: August 20, 2021, 07:17:44 pm »
Sorry, EXALT who???
Enforcers. Whose only big advantage is that they're snipers, but we already had that discussion.

...this is the level where you get normal grenades and industrial explosives... The RPG is a purely military weapon, therefore belonging strictly in the Promo 3 category.
IRL, RPG-7 is about as available as hand grenades and AKs, though. There are pirate fishermen touting RPGs, and the Taliban are now using them in their 'police' patrols of Kabul... Javelin, Spike, CG, etc... These aren't handed out like candy.

OTOH, this is our real world, and the one in XCF is somewhat different, and the red tape even more so.

I changed the standard extinguisher a couple days ago to work the same way.
But it's instant. Also, you can deploy multiple per turn. In short, as designed.
Ah, okay. I wrote this before I read that discussion.

It's so much better though!
(And later on, you'll be able to buy monster-related items for cash.)
No problems with getting to buy it later on. It's just that there's this huge gap between "rare as hen's teeth" and then you suddenly get an unlimited supply. Would be more interesting if we got multiple per Muckstar corpse. Even 3-5 would be relatively workable.

Basically, you're really not guaranteed any Muckstars, and the ones you do get leave you with a very small stockpile. The +25% damage isn't really so much better that you'd want to use your extremely tiny amount of clips, outside of very rare circumstances. You'll have to switch to that ammo mid-battle, or have a very specific mission in mind, otherwise even reloading the more powerful ammo is worse than just shooting an extra time with regular batteries.

Not that I'm really using Tasers much after dartguns become available. The only reason to do so is to be able to just buy more clips instead of shuffling engineers around. But Muckstar ammo doesn't help with that.

Maybe it's just me.

Perhaps the bonuses you get from commendations are too good, but I don't want to remove them.
Yeah, I see your problem. If it was me, I'd just remove all commendation bonuses except bravery and go back to high-casualty warfare, but I understand that XCF is trying to be a more personal experience. I think these two contradictory goals will never be fully compatible, but all the small changes you mentioned ought to help.

Offline DoomSlayer

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: August 23, 2021, 02:02:35 am »
Solarius Scorch,Praetorian Armor - the armor of the Executioner of Doom, well, or Doomguy, so it's clearer. Yes, it's from the new Doom, take a look if you're interested. It is not suitable for UAC,it is an artifact, like a Crucible(the name blade of the Executioner, which you can also read about) and this costume was found in hell,in a sarcophagus with the Executioner, according to the history of the game. You can even add a very strong melee attack based on a retractable blade built into the armor. Why did you suggest adding it ? Well, who knows what the UAC found on the other side of the portal? We weren't there,were we ?
 Further, regarding the lethal gas weapons. Yes, just like in Piratez.
 Now about the RPG-7. You say it's easier to find than a launcher, and it really is. Getting only 3 promotions? I don't agree with you. Let's take a look. RPG-7 is a very easily accessible and cheap weapon. It seems to me that all the terrorists of the world have it. These are not state-of-the-art launchers like javelin and the like. Military equipment ? Then we should get all the machine guns,grenades,mines on the 3rd increase(madness). Will it be too powerful if you get it earlier? Not at all. It is very necessary when attacking cult bases(and headquarters) to break buildings and shelters. Well, seriously, my 8 infantrymen are sitting near a Dragonfly and they shoot 50-100 people one by one from machine guns. Well, this is kind of strange. Moreover, the Council, seeing the threat posed by cults, gives us Osprey(something tells me that this is a very serious thing,and it is much more serious than an RPG). The grenade launcher is basically useless in such an assault-a small explosion area and poor destruction of shelters. RPG-7 is just right for a 2 increase, but only with high-explosive missiles. It will be much easier to cope with huge crowds of enemies. You should not move the Launcher away-it is located where it should be. 
Next, let's talk about rocket ammunition. You mentioned all the rocket launchers, saying that they should not be damaged. Let's figure it out. The UAC rocket launcher is a really interesting weapon,which has a huge potential,but its low power spoils everything(we recall the Launcher). You can use it a little,but only a little. It would be more relevant if it had a damage of 80-85 (at least to be guaranteed to cope with sectoids). In this case, I would say that it is possible not to add new missiles for the RPG, but to add Plasma missiles for this installation. Why? 1-UAC developed plasma weapons, could also develop missiles. 2-Will be the same light rocket launcher, very mobile(plasma damage 115-120) and medium in power, which will give the player a choice in a late game. 3 - It is futuristic, a rocket launcher with a clip is cool ! Next, a 4-barrel rocket launcher is garbage, uselessness, irrelevance. Low damage,poor accuracy,poor area damage-why is this necessary ? If we talk about it as a multiple launch rocket system, then due to the disgusting characteristics, the effect will be minimal.The effect of one Heavy rocket will be 3 times better. The launcher is the initial version of the development of a heavy rocket launcher. She's fine. Improved rocket launcher-the final development of heavy missile weapons-now you can launch guided missiles! Oh, my God, this is amazing ! Also, in the late game we get an Eleria rocket,which makes MLG with Sectopods and Obliterators with a single hit ! O HOLY SHIT !(It remains only to add guided Eleria missiles and the Blaster installation can be flushed down the toilet). I will not continue,I will only say that this is the best weapon of mass destruction(yes, even cooler than a Blaster launcher, after receiving Eleria missiles). A small alien launcher - only to capture enemies, no more. For causing damage, it is a garbage dump. It is much more profitable to use a Plasma Destroyer(12 charges in the store, and more damage, baby). So,the most terrible weapon for X-COM,a Blaster launcher. It is needed for terraforming and destroying unarmored meat. It is useful wherever there are no Sectopods, because they laugh when purple balls fly at them, which clap hard, but they do nothing.There are no analogues of this rocket launcher. So, what we have. In the late game,there is only heavy missile weapons, but there is no light one(well, this function is now performed by a Plasma Destroyer, but this is not the case, the damage and damage to the terrain are too small).A UAC rocket launcher or an RPG-7 with plasma ammunition will be very useful.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 04:47:34 pm by DoomSlayer »

Offline DoomSlayer

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: August 23, 2021, 02:54:55 am »
Solarius Scorch,Also, I would like to write a review about the plot branch with UAC. Scorch, that's great ! You did a good job, thank you for that ! Early plasma weapons, and (the cherry on the cake) BFG-amazing and very relevant. But there are problems.
1-Search for a special UAC weapon.I was able to find the BFG, but I couldn't find the Hangman machine gun. Where can I find him ? I wouldn't have found the BFG either if I hadn't looked at the map and accidentally saw a strange loot that interested me. When I looked at his sprite, I was seized with a fit of joy. I would like the player to be given a hint that experimental weapons are lying somewhere on the level,because this is, in fact,the only mission with a secret in the game,and you don't even think that BFG is hidden somewhere on the level(cyberdisk helped me find it). 
2-After the study, the BFG disappears. When I started exploring it, I was smiling, when I explored the BFG, I was even more happy,but when I decided to put it in the ship and found that it was gone, it was extremely unpleasant, because I had already activated the UAC codes and the final mission would no longer appear. Very unpleasant. I lost the coolest gun in the game due to ignorance. I,as a player,after finding this, thought that I had found an artifact that can only be one for the entire game,and this artifact disappears after exploration.(the BFG description says that UAC was only able to make one instance. And the crooked-armed scientists of X-COM broke it). 
3-UAC plasma weapon. Namely, its use. How should I guess that in order to use this weapon,I have to explore the Sphere of Darkness,and it opens only after studying the Ectoplasm,and the Sphere itself can only be obtained in the final mission of the Apocalypse. There is too much illogicality.If I hadn't climbed into the technology tree,I would have been tormenting myself with the question-what didn't I do ? The first thought when you can't take the UAC Plasma in your hands-Seriously? Only when opening a plasma weapon ? This sucks ! I propose to change the UAC Plasma discovery branch to a more logical one. The player gets the opportunity to use the UAC Plasma after interrogating the leading UAC engineer, having received from him access codes to weapons that are blocked by a cipher. X-COM gets the code, cracks it,and can use this weapon. Very logical and much simpler. 
4-The final mission with the portal and the development of the plot. The mission description says that we can either activate the self-destruct codes of the space base, or fight until we kill EVERYONE. I realized that there are 2 endings, and I decided that if I don't blow up the base,I will get a prize. But how to do this when reinforcements are constantly coming, the demons are running away and there are 1-2 hidden enemies on the map. You try to find them,reinforcements come again and everything starts over again. They are running away again, again searching for the last one. Madness ! I lasted more than 60 moves,I couldn't do it anymore. The imps burned through my cyberdisks and there was simply nothing to tank with,I had to activate the codes,as a result, I lost the true ending and the opportunity to buy plasma batteries. This is very unfair. It is better to make a fight with a Cyberdemon than to engage in masturbation with the search for the last enemy. Next, well, we blew up the base, lost the portal,but why do we lose the opportunity to buy batteries ? We find a Sphere of Darkness(and the description of this Sphere says that it is a bottomless source of chaos energy). Why can't we donate it to UAC so that they can use it to produce batteries and then sell their X-COM? 
5-A lightweight UAC plasmometer. Please redo this weapon. Compared to the UAC Plasma Rifle, it is much less relevant. It has worse accuracy and higher TU costs for firing bursts. As far as I understand,this is either a plasma machine gun or a more advanced plasma rifle. Then you need to make more shots in the queue(6-8), or increase the accuracy of the shot offhand and aimed shot. Please think about it. 
Also,I would like to ask, Scorch, when will the valiant agents of X-COM go to the Doom Portal to meet the Fiends of Hell ?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 04:49:18 pm by DoomSlayer »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: August 23, 2021, 03:12:58 am »
@Doomslayer: Paragraphs. They exist. I can't read your walls of text without my eyes glazing over, and I doubt Solarius will, either.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: August 23, 2021, 07:07:28 am »
Jesus, what even is this.

Offline DoomSlayer

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: August 23, 2021, 04:59:48 pm »
I beg your pardon. I write from my phone, so I have problems with paragraphs. I tried to correct the text as best I could.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4283 on: August 27, 2021, 03:24:16 pm »
IRL, RPG-7 is about as available as hand grenades and AKs, though. There are pirate fishermen touting RPGs, and the Taliban are now using them in their 'police' patrols of Kabul... Javelin, Spike, CG, etc... These aren't handed out like candy.

Yeah, but it's about having a license, not market availability... Which is why initially you can't buy AKs either, you know.

Still, I'm willing to consider moving it to Promo II and Explosives Licence, if only to differentiate it more from the Rocket Launcher. I'm not sure.

No problems with getting to buy it later on. It's just that there's this huge gap between "rare as hen's teeth" and then you suddenly get an unlimited supply. Would be more interesting if we got multiple per Muckstar corpse. Even 3-5 would be relatively workable.

OK, I can do that. Let's make it 3 for now, to be conservative.

Yeah, I see your problem. If it was me, I'd just remove all commendation bonuses except bravery and go back to high-casualty warfare, but I understand that XCF is trying to be a more personal experience. I think these two contradictory goals will never be fully compatible, but all the small changes you mentioned ought to help.

Indeed, I am of the same opinion. Searching for the perfect balance is never over... :)

@DoomSlayer:
- gas weapons: I plan to add anti-E115 gas. I can add standard (PPiratez-like) gas too. There hasn't been anyy interest until now, but I'll add it to my to-do list.
- RPG: see above.
- UAC Rocket Launcher: hmm, plasma missiles are not UAC style. Yes, they have plasma weapons, but the technologyu is completely different and I can't see how it can be used to make explosives (IMO it would be an absurd waste of demonic essence). But some conventional type of heavy warhead is possible. Still, remember that it's not Piratez, we can't just make our own ammo for corporate weapons and tell them to sod off...

Spoiler:
I probably missed something, but to be honest, reading your posts should be considered a working hazard. Sorry. (No, "I'm on a phone" is not an excuse, it has nothing to do with it.)

About the UAC arc:
1) Thanks for the kind words!
2) I don't understand how you could have brught the BFG to your ship and not recover it. It's just not possible...
3) UAC Plasma. "How should I guess..." - from the Tech Tree Viewer, like everyone else. I don't like this feature much, but it exists, so that's howe it is. If you don't want spoilers, I appreciate it, but then you'ree suposed to look for answers by playing the game. Can't have a cookie and eat it at the same time! :)
Anyway, this is major magic mojo, just an Engineer wouldn't know what to tell you. A Master Researcher, maybe...
4) How to win? I don't know how, it's the player's job to find a solution. It's harsh, but players usually steamroll through whatever I throw at them, so I'm trying to make hard missions really hard. Especially when they're optional. But well, I could make the reinforcements come less frequently or something...
5) What the fuck is a "plasmometer"?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: August 27, 2021, 05:52:56 pm »
Yeah, but it's about having a license, not market availability...

Still, I'm willing to consider moving it to Promo II and Explosives Licence, if only to differentiate it more from the Rocket Launcher.
You could also go with something like Red Dawn suppliers + Promo II. Not everything in the inventory goes through the red tape, you know. :P

Offline HinterDemGlas

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: August 27, 2021, 11:57:08 pm »
After translating a lot of this game I have some random observations/opinions about style, prose and information layout to share.
  • I like the characters, very discernable voices.
  • The entries about weird parapsychology and phenomena were a treat to read/translate.
  • The Madman's Diary and the Planet of the Snakes may be my favorites
  • The Alien Science/Engineering stuff is good. Actually really good compared to the other X-Com-descendants I know.
  • I didn't figure out the Smartgun's strangely unclear name was an Aliens reference even though I had watched that film multiple times before :-X
  • The end of the Church of Dagon feels a little bland. The cthuloid idol is... a filing cabinet? And those deep ocean mages are simply arrested? Okay I guess.
  • This may be partially an issue with the English language and the formal-ish style of the prose, but some texts are absurdly equivocal(if that is the right word). I point out the "Sniper Rifles" entry, which could only be summarized with the word "quite".
  • There is much more fresh information in the _BRIEFING texts than I noticed during play. I thought about it and the problem is that the first sentences are ususally the same as in the _DESCRIPTION texts, and the end is always "To abort this mission..." so my eyes simply glaze over it and never read the center part. Maybe that's just me, maybe some change in layout would help.(Linebreaks?)
  • Speaking of, the "To abort the mission return X-Com operatives to the transport vehicle and click on the 'Abort Mission' icon." text now makes my eyelid twitch in annoyance. After the first few missions the player can probably assume this and only needs to be informed when it's not the case.
  • Not a big fan of the new intercepted cult messages. They only restate stuff you experience in play from a slightly different perspective 9 times. Not a lot of humor or weirdness or foreshadowing I think.
  • Some texts may benefit from being cut down by 40-50% but I'm not zealous about that, verbosity is not bad. Some sentences however should simply be two sentences.
  • Do not attempt a drinking game for the word "alien"  :P
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 11:59:38 pm by HinterDemGlas »

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: September 01, 2021, 05:08:17 pm »
After having a mission in the desert, citizens vs monsters who decide to charge out of their african mudhuts to face scorpions. One thing hit me when i heard the satisfying crunch as my soldier smashed one with his fist.

One thing hit me... couldnt carapace plate be made from Scorpion bodies too ?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: September 03, 2021, 04:33:41 am »
After hitting some MAGMA-related stuff again, I really wish things like "The Council is livid, -500 points" were more impactful. 500 points are peanuts, one good mission gives as much. Something like 10-20k would be more appropriate, so if you do anything that pisses your handlers off, you fail the month and could possibly even lose the game if you get too cheeky and go for it twice in a row.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: September 03, 2021, 02:24:38 pm »
After hitting some MAGMA-related stuff again, I really wish things like "The Council is livid, -500 points" were more impactful. 500 points are peanuts, one good mission gives as much. Something like 10-20k would be more appropriate, so if you do anything that pisses your handlers off, you fail the month and could possibly even lose the game if you get too cheeky and go for it twice in a row.
This has been brought up before numerous times iirc. From what I can tell the problem is that the point scores are absolute, not relative to players score - so you can end up with a comically small or absurdly large penalty, depending on your playstyle and progression. I don't think inflating penalties in this way is useful, as - by your own admission - X-Com could simply pull this off the two months later anyway.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: September 03, 2021, 03:29:26 pm »
Since the goal is to inflict a severe penalty on the player, scores don't persist between different months, and there's a hard cap on funding reduction (20%) and a soft one on score (what's the highest you can reasonably get in a month? 20k? 50k? 100k?), just hit them with a large enough penalty that it hits everyone. Or, alternatively, if even 10k is a drop in the bucket, you're doing so well that it's reasonable to expect that the Council overlooks the transgression.

Right now the problem is that the penalty is pretty much always comically small. I don't see the downside of making it relevant at least some of the time.

And if X-Com delays a month or two, it pays an opportunity cost, not to mention the actual hit to funding for low score. You could just as well argue that Council funding is eventually meaningless, so let's make it zero from the beginning. :P Same thing here.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 03:32:12 pm by Juku121 »