Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1949997 times)

Offline termidor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 1.6: Life Will Never Be The Same
« Reply #3885 on: November 09, 2020, 08:45:32 pm »
Thanks for the answers, it just seemed  odd that the  option wasn't  up to the player, if in the future  I do a new run I will definitely look into the options. Regarding  the balancing parts:
- the smg I was referring  to where the M3 and the big mac-10 which both use 50 round magazines. Considering their auto mode, they benefit  too much from having the extra rounds( Afaik the m3 used a 30 round magazine).
- The thing with the cattle prod is that it comes after the electric baton, so it  seemed strange to see how underperforming it was. Maybe I was just unlucky with it, but it doesn't  seem to be worth the trouble.

Also one thing I forgot to ake: What does the gym do? I'm quite sure I got something  wrong, but it seems to be focused on improving experienced agents judging by the + button.

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: November 10, 2020, 11:11:36 am »

Also one thing I forgot to ake: What does the gym do? I'm quite sure I got something  wrong, but it seems to be focused on improving experienced agents judging by the + button.

Gym lets 10 agents train which passively increases their stats to a point. You can assign them to a gym via agent menu when you look at your base, -> agent info and you will see a list of what you can do with your men. This is how you can also upgrade your troops via special training or other modifications you discover as you play.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: November 10, 2020, 11:20:43 am »
-Do stat gain from awards allow soldiers to go over their training  limit? Honestly  I prefer the final mod pack system of soldier awards being purely  cosmetic.

In addition to what Solarius said. Note that the normal training caps are way lower than in the original game to compensate for the commendations.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3888 on: November 10, 2020, 04:53:42 pm »
Thanks for the answers, it just seemed  odd that the  option wasn't  up to the player

Well, I wasn't kidding aobut it being a huge cheat... To the point of making guns near pointless. Grenades are just superior, and being non-instant is the only balancing point. I'm not the only modder who blocks this.

- the smg I was referring  to where the M3 and the big mac-10 which both use 50 round magazines. Considering their auto mode, they benefit  too much from having the extra rounds( Afaik the m3 used a 30 round magazine).

I checked and you're right, it should be 30 rounds, not 50. I'll correct this. Thanks!

- The thing with the cattle prod is that it comes after the electric baton, so it  seemed strange to see how underperforming it was. Maybe I was just unlucky with it, but it doesn't  seem to be worth the trouble.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding... But first you get the electric club (starting weapon), then the cattle prod (two-handed), and finally the stun rod (one-handed). Plus one more item higher on the tree.

OK, I'll expand on the description, as it's kinda vague.

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: November 12, 2020, 01:27:38 pm »
How do you advance the zombie arc after capturing a tomb guardian? It's been about 2 or 3 years since i've done that in my game but I never get zombie missions anymore, do they stop when you complete the monsters arc?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: November 12, 2020, 01:55:09 pm »
How do you advance the zombie arc after capturing a tomb guardian? It's been about 2 or 3 years since i've done that in my game but I never get zombie missions anymore, do they stop when you complete the monsters arc?

Zombie missions continue also after normal monster missions are disabled.

Researching a Tomb Guard lets you research Zombie Consciousness.

Have you researched Zombie Infector?

Offline Aciho

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: November 13, 2020, 01:18:23 am »
Been meaning to ask for a while - is it intended that the magma pulse LMG with chem rounds will one-shot an ethereal? Not that I'm complaining, but it does make ethereals much less threatening than they would otherwise be.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: November 13, 2020, 01:42:21 am »
Been meaning to ask for a while - is it intended that the magma pulse LMG with chem rounds will one-shot an ethereal? Not that I'm complaining, but it does make ethereals much less threatening than they would otherwise be.

If so, then congrats, you are the first person I've seen to say anything good about pulse weapons. :)

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: November 13, 2020, 07:02:08 am »
<....> you are the first <...>

...and the last.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: November 13, 2020, 12:30:42 pm »
Now on a more serious note, it's not really possible to make everything fit in such a big and complex mod. I will certainly check, but even if it's true (which I assume it is), there isn't much I can do - acid is deadly to unprotected skin, and shields by design cannot protect from all types of damage (each colour has its own strengths and weaknesses).

Offline Aciho

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: November 13, 2020, 08:56:51 pm »
I only found out through desperation during a base defence, so that would make sense :)  But yeah, a single shot from a pulse LMG will usually kill an Ethereal soldier, and you can fire 6 shots for 45% TU...

e: each shot is 6x32 chem damage, so a burst is 1,152 chem damage assuming they all hit. Plus 10% of firing accuracy, so an accuracy 75 soldier does up to 1,442 damage. Twice.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 09:36:01 pm by Aciho »

Offline WaldoTheRanger

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: November 16, 2020, 08:28:50 am »
that doesn't sound like it needs fixing. just a cool quirk of old, generally bad technology still being useful late game. adds some strategic depth.
course I've never gotten that far and don't understand the context.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: November 16, 2020, 02:09:35 pm »
I agree. Seeing how utterly impervious Ethereals are to other types of damage (unless you're using anti-tank weaponry) this should come with some kind of downside. I never really used pulse weapons either, so seeing them being actually useful for something is kind amazing tbh.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: November 16, 2020, 03:49:37 pm »
I just unlocked pulse weapons and their chem ammo in my game. I also do not think that it being effective against ethereals would be a bug. It is just something the Ethereals did not expect.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: November 16, 2020, 04:35:29 pm »
I gave it some thought and decided that the Ethereal armour is simply too low. Yes, most of their protection comes from the shields, but I thought their internal biofield should give them a bit more robustness, considering their psi powers and the fact that this field pretty much replaces their organs. So I'm buffing their armour from 7 to 18, which is still not a whole lot.