Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1950047 times)

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.7: Altered States
« Reply #2235 on: December 07, 2018, 09:17:34 pm »
It would need to have similar info to that

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: December 08, 2018, 12:01:23 am »
Is there an "armor effectiveness" type of stat (like in piratez) in play for weapons in this mod?

For instance, the crossbow says that it is "better at piercing Kevlar than bullets". Is it just due to cutting damage vs kinetic? 

Looking at Starving Poet's let's play, it seems like some weapons used to ignore % armor, but I can't find a way to see if this is the case anymore.

The same format from piratez is used here, although the button to find the detailed stats is named differently, its in the same place on a pedia page.  The possible variables are also the same as both use OXCE as the base engine.

Offline null-painter

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: December 08, 2018, 02:41:15 am »
Thanks for the help - I did find a couple of "armor ignoring" weapons - they seem a little less common in early game than piratez, and changes were made since Poet's game that caused my confusion.

Another possible bug (running current code, I think, so it might be relevant):
Code: [Select]
Gtk:ERROR:../../../../gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /org/gtk/libgtk/icons/48x48/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
Aborted (core dumped)
OpenXcom has crashed: There is already TileEngine movingUnit

This was during "nightmare in antartica" or some such, first mission I played like this. Happened on enemy turn with some pink humanoid monster. Let me know if I can provide more details.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: December 08, 2018, 07:35:02 am »
yep thats a new bug, looks like solar made an error with one of the enemies graphics files.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2239 on: December 08, 2018, 06:29:11 pm »
I tested all these creatures before the release and they all worked fine. Can you provide a save?

Offline null-painter

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: December 08, 2018, 06:50:55 pm »
Sure thing! Here is the "auto battle" for the relevant battle.

However, I suspect there was some kind of logic/pathing/etc bug rather than a missing graphics type of bug as it is not be reliably reproducable.
Middle clicking on the 3 forms of nightmare fuel I encountered also works fine.

Also, the fatal error was:
Code: [Select]
OpenXcom has crashed: There is already TileEngine movingUnit
 Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: December 08, 2018, 07:07:40 pm »
Thanks. Unfortunately I've been unable to reproduce the bug... All seems to be working fine.

Offline Johnny_exe

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: December 10, 2018, 06:55:27 pm »
Hello there good people.

Comrade Solarius Scorch can you tell please what is "Snapping turtle construction" and how to use it:?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: December 10, 2018, 09:16:26 pm »
Hello there good people.

Comrade Solarius Scorch can you tell please what is "Snapping turtle construction" and how to use it:?

It's an item recovered after you capture a Snapping Turtle. It has no use yet. :)

Offline Johnny_exe

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: December 10, 2018, 09:37:47 pm »
It's an item recovered after you capture a Snapping Turtle. It has no use yet. :)

oh okay, will be waiting than x)

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: December 11, 2018, 10:45:25 pm »

Offline null-painter

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: December 13, 2018, 03:02:53 am »
I was on a Black Lotus mission and feel pretty sure I encountered a totally invisible enemy. I had two agents with their backs against the dragonfly wall with full TUs. Something came right up on them and melee'd them both to death with some kind of blade.

I guess it makes sense for some ninja-y organization to have some invisibility, but I'm not too sure how to counter it. Are they literally unseeable? Any advice?

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: December 13, 2018, 04:24:14 am »
I was on a Black Lotus mission and feel pretty sure I encountered a totally invisible enemy. I had two agents with their backs against the dragonfly wall with full TUs. Something came right up on them and melee'd them both to death with some kind of blade.

I guess it makes sense for some ninja-y organization to have some invisibility, but I'm not too sure how to counter it. Are they literally unseeable? Any advice?

These are probably
Spoiler:
the Ninja Assassins. They look identical to the Ninja Warriors, except for the name and they are quite stealthy until you are like 4 tiles away. The early game has no counter to it other than tactics and a methodical approach. First, you only fight them during the day if possible. There is no reason to give them additional advantages. Second, you use (and abuse) the smoke grenades so to "level the playing field" (the unit cannot see you either). Third, bunch your people in an area of the map, where there are few or only one easy approach. You could lit the ground on fire so these units path their way toward your group the way you want. Fourth and key, use scouts with motion scanners (or dogs) to step out a bit from the centre of the smoke. Once you detect a yellow arrow without a visible unit (press ALT after a scan), that's a Ninja Assassin. You can direct all of your firepower towards that location (picture Predator "Contact!" scene :) ). Finally, you can speed up the research of the large HWP (aka tanks), Ninjas will attack them instead if they are closer. Until you research Cyber Armour, your weaker units are at risk of insta-death from them. Have no mercy towards them  :)
EDIT: Spoiler added.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 04:31:58 am by Alex_D »

Offline Jimboman

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: December 15, 2018, 03:48:09 pm »
Enjoying Xcomfiles Solar, great mod!  Only in the first year at the moment and waiting to get choppers!

I haven't got to underwater missions but I was wondering, what weapons can you use there?  Can you use the Russian ADS amphibious rifles?

http://www.military-today.com/firearms/ads.htm

These look great for an xcom-type unit that operates on both land and underwater missions.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: December 16, 2018, 09:44:05 pm »
One question about underwater missions:
Spoiler:
Advanced Underwater Operations  makes the larger sub "Trident" available. However, afterwards, many other underwater missions still show with the smaller sub "Calypso". Is it supposed to be this way? Is there any way to know in advance which sub is going to be when?