Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1932877 times)

Offline thisnameismeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.7: Altered States
« Reply #2220 on: December 03, 2018, 02:57:04 am »
Just found a bug that i didn't see explicitly called out as existing in 0.9.6 (I haven't tested in 9.7). The mission "Root of all Evil" for the black lotus, shows up as "str_black_lotus_shrine" or some variant close to that when it initially appears on the globe. Clicking on the mission gives the proper name, it's only the initial notification that shows up incorrectly.

Offline Quickmind

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: December 03, 2018, 04:42:30 am »
Wow! Does that picture mean I'm now Internet famous?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: December 03, 2018, 01:15:39 pm »
Just found a bug that i didn't see explicitly called out as existing in 0.9.6 (I haven't tested in 9.7). The mission "Root of all Evil" for the black lotus, shows up as "str_black_lotus_shrine" or some variant close to that when it initially appears on the globe. Clicking on the mission gives the proper name, it's only the initial notification that shows up incorrectly.
Has been mentioned in the bug thread, i'd wager it's fixed, though i haven't checked out 0.9.7 yet.

EDIT:
Just noticed that advanced&improved labs still require elerium/alloys and other UFO parts. I feel like the item costs need to be rebalanced, since aside from the elerium (which is pretty easy to come by at that point) everything can be produced from scratch. Might i suggest adding multitools, alloy welders and alien electronics? Because those seem like things that might be useful during labwork. Maybe some exosuits for protection (though you could argue these are included in the construction cost...)?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 06:17:32 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Johnny_exe

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: December 03, 2018, 09:18:28 pm »
Hello there! Is there any way by chance to build X-Com Virtualized Headquarters over the normal one?

And how to manufacture Viper:?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: December 03, 2018, 11:22:02 pm »
Hi Solarius, sorry for bringing this up again, but i am trying to create a  custom armor set for the mod, and i'm running into trouble with colors (again).

I've managed to convert the zipped palettes you posted earlier, but they are more or less identical with the standard palettes (and as far as i can tell only used on certain maps, like sewers/mars etc.). I noticed that you are using a custom PALETTES.DAT which probably explains the problems i am running into. Could you post the actual palette this is based on or the changes you have made to the vanilla palette?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: December 03, 2018, 11:30:26 pm »
Hi Solarius, sorry for bringing this up again, but i am trying to create a  custom armor set for the mod, and i'm running into trouble with colors (again).

I've managed to convert the zipped palettes you posted earlier, but they are more or less identical with the standard palettes (and as far as i can tell only used on certain maps, like sewers/mars etc.). I noticed that you are using a custom PALETTES.DAT which probably explains the problems i am running into. Could you post the actual palette this is based on or the changes you have made to the vanilla palette?

What kind of problems exactly?

I would recommend using vanilla palettes; and accept that the final product will look differently in XCF.

Otherwise we just end up with incompatible resources which can be used in one mod only... and that would effectively be the end of openxcom modding.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: December 04, 2018, 12:35:49 am »
I'm having problems with the colors being too dark in general and the highlights being too bright. I could avoid this if i had acess to the palette the mod uses, but right now i'm fishing in the dark so to speak:

TBH i'm just trying to edit an existing set of sprites specifically for the mod. The whole point of this is to make it "fit in", which is why i'd like to know which colors the mod is using. This isn't meant to be an 'universal' mod, since all i'm doing is modifying stats and shifting colors.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2227 on: December 04, 2018, 03:22:39 pm »
Well, I don't have any special tools. I go with Meridian's approach of "use vanilla and just let it go".

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: December 04, 2018, 06:32:05 pm »
Well, I don't have any special tools. I go with Meridian's approach of "use vanilla and just let it go".

Yeah, but where did you get / how did you create the palette? It's not the vanilla UFO palette nor the TFTD one.

For comparison - left is the vanilla (UFO) battlescape palette, right is the one X-Com Files uses (granted, not the "actual" palettes, but how the game displays and image with all indexed colors):

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:24:03 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: December 04, 2018, 08:16:52 pm »
Well, RSS Wizard made it for me. It's in GEODATA/PALETTES.DAT.

EDIT: I have released a fixed version.

- Updated to the latest OXCE.
- Fixed some articles available too soon.
- Fixed memetic hay.
- Fixed Viper assembly (hopefully).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:02:32 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline null-painter

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: December 07, 2018, 02:39:36 am »
Hmm, bug report. Running 9.6. Entered combat with some floaty urchin things ("muckstars", I guess?) for the first time. I middle mouse clicked one to look at it and the game crashed with:

Code: [Select]
(zenity:7586): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:30:57.245: Could not load a pixbuf from /org/gtk/libgtk/icons/48x48/status/image-missing.png.
This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.
Gtk:ERROR:../../../../gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /org/gtk/libgtk/icons/48x48/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
Aborted (core dumped)
OpenXcom has crashed: /home/scoundrel/games/xcom/mods2/mods/XComFiles/Resources/Races_Compilation/MuckstarRace/inventory_MUCKSTAR.png: OpenXcom is supporting only 8bit graphic

Let me know if any further data would be helpful, and I'll try to provide.

Awesome mod, by the way. It's got a great feel, and I think the progression of your organizations capabilities vs the difficulties of missions (recently took a crack at durathread factory with grenade launchers, thrown explosives, nitro rifles, and desert eagles - I was really close, but had to withdraw with only 4 of my 6 original crew). I'm already a big fan!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: December 07, 2018, 10:45:30 am »
Thank you! I hope the mod keeps you entertained.
And it is an old bug - no point playing outdated releases.

Offline Johnny_exe

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: December 07, 2018, 12:35:22 pm »
Hello there! Is it intended that Viper travels as far as mudranger? 250 away from base, so short distance T.T

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: December 07, 2018, 01:19:59 pm »
Hello there! Is it intended that Viper travels as far as mudranger? 250 away from base, so short distance T.T

Hmm, sounds like a bug... I'll check,thanks.

Offline null-painter

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: December 07, 2018, 06:03:16 pm »
Is there an "armor effectiveness" type of stat (like in piratez) in play for weapons in this mod?

For instance, the crossbow says that it is "better at piercing Kevlar than bullets". Is it just due to cutting damage vs kinetic? 

Looking at Starving Poet's let's play, it seems like some weapons used to ignore % armor, but I can't find a way to see if this is the case anymore.