aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1991575 times)

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.6: Tales of The Abyss
« Reply #2130 on: October 22, 2018, 12:04:34 pm »
Build hyper-wave decoder and check what missions are they on. I will not make it easy with list of missions that always land but you can have it after few tries. Also if they are on low attitude most times they either have already landed just a second ago or will soon land :)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: October 23, 2018, 04:02:11 am »
Re point A, yeah that happens eventually if your playing decently well and not losing council members in large numbers the income raises just keep accumulating and you run out of stuff to build. The effect was in vanilla to but there the game was often over before it really got to silly. XCF runs about 5-6 times the length of vanilla so the effect is amplified.

Re point C, iirc you lose some score, but not really much else of note is involved.

Re point D, Alot of the later tech craft weapons, particularly missiles, will overkill smaller craft that might have otherwise yielded loot. Setup some of your interceptors with lower tech weapons and set them aside specifically to engage lighter ufos.

Offline Barth Gimble

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: October 23, 2018, 02:19:36 pm »
Thanks for the tips and info.

The alien invasion part of the game seems to be going slowly, as the ETs are still sending mostly smaller vessels. I kept the CF-105 around in case it's involved in anything special later, but it's got cobwebs because I never send it out, so I'll start using it more against small UFOs. I was also currently upgrading my airbases to all Tormentor planes, so I'll put that down to lower priority for now.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Hyperwave Decoder works differently here than in the original game. I'm thinking in vanilla XCom you could get rid of all the other radars after building it, but in XCom Files one shouldn't do that. Is this correct? Freeing up some space in the bases would be nice if I don't need each radar in each one (small, large, hyperwave), but I don't want to lose tracking capacity if they're all needed.

That reminds me of another question I had which may be general rather than XCom Files related. All my bases have the same radars installed, but on the base info screen one base has Long Range Detection of 4, two bases have ratings of 3, and the rest only have ratings of 2. Why the different ratings?

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: October 23, 2018, 02:32:31 pm »
I do not know answer to your question but from what I know
- Xcom HQ has global detection but very low rate

Pile of blablabla that I was wrong about :D

Someone could correct me if I just wrote some stupidity :D (Thanks ohartenstein :D )
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 04:03:20 pm by Niewiem »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: October 23, 2018, 02:45:06 pm »
You are correct about the HQ, its best quality is making sure any contact you make never goes out-of-range until it exits the atmosphere. What you wrote about the normal radars is almost completely wrong though - small radar is mediocre at detection, but still much better than the HQ. The large radar is a straight upgrade in both range and detection chance, and the hyperwave decoder has 100% detection rate.

niculinux

« Reply #2135 on: October 23, 2018, 07:39:00 pm »
Please, don't forget to update changelog thread :'( it stands still at 0.9.5

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2136 on: October 23, 2018, 07:52:27 pm »
Please, don't forget to update changelog thread :'( it stands still at 0.9.5

Oh damn, you're right. Fixed.

Offline Barth Gimble

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: October 24, 2018, 05:38:36 am »
the hyperwave decoder has 100% detection rate.

So other radars aren't needed after building the hyperwave decoder. Is the hyperwave coverage global? In other words, is it wasteful to have a hyperwave decoder at each base instead of just having one?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: October 24, 2018, 12:12:08 pm »
It is not global, so each base needs one.

Offline gix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: November 03, 2018, 08:23:36 am »
Hi, Solarius

My apologies if those questions were asked before. Just switched off from OXC to OXCE, so the questions may be dumb ones...
I have my own OXCE build(synced on latest commits) that I wanna use to play the mod (added basically a large change that allows free 3d movement for flying units).
Is there somewhere a distribution of this mod alone (i.e. without OXCE, included)?
And if so, is it more difficult to install than a regular OXC mod on top of OXC?
Thanks.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: November 03, 2018, 10:18:14 am »
Within the distribution there is a folder: /OpenXcom_XFiles/user/mods/XComFiles

That's the mod itself... and it can be installed on top of your build same as any other OXC mod.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: November 05, 2018, 10:43:53 am »
This is a silly question: So the only way to turn off the flashlight is to put it away in the inventory? Flashlights left on the ground will be always powered on, illuminating the area like a flare but much more potent?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: November 05, 2018, 12:12:48 pm »
This is a silly question: So the only way to turn off the flashlight is to put it away in the inventory? Flashlights left on the ground will be always powered on, illuminating the area like a flare but much more potent?

Yes, at the moment it's the only way.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: November 05, 2018, 02:37:30 pm »
Anything instead of working on my own mod...
Here is a slightly changed (improved i hope) skymarshall map and some pics.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: November 05, 2018, 03:04:20 pm »
This Aquatoid indeed looks better, thanks!
The Muckstar of course also looks better, but it isn't very similar to the sprite... And especially the autopsy.