aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1950604 times)

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.5: Burn The Village Down
« Reply #2115 on: October 09, 2018, 10:32:23 am »
Interrogating deep one should be easier than getting cyberweb portal I think it is way up in cyberweb arc.
What mission are you refering to?

Offline Toothless Shark

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: October 09, 2018, 04:19:40 pm »
Since my posts seem to be missed ill repost them both:

First when you capture your first cyberweb scientist will get access to promo 3 or will at least get a portal? Any good tips as well to help would be nice too.

Secondly the UI for the mission is weirdly green is that a bug?

To get promo 3 you have to take out any cult HQ. Then you get to make a report for UN and then you get a promo 3 research.

I ran into green UI only in the sewers missions (slimes / cyberweb). I think it indicates that you should have bio protective gear. Didn't really try entering the area with standard armor so i don't really know if anything bad happens. I was using only Bio armor (with night vision) when i was going on those missions.

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: October 09, 2018, 07:41:51 pm »
To get promo 3 you have to take out any cult HQ. Then you get to make a report for UN and then you get a promo 3 research.

I ran into green UI only in the sewers missions (slimes / cyberweb). I think it indicates that you should have bio protective gear. Didn't really try entering the area with standard armor so i don't really know if anything bad happens. I was using only Bio armor (with night vision) when i was going on those missions.
I've already destroyed the Red Dawn HQ and I researched the memory card but no report and I entered the sewers with normal armour and the green UI was there too.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2118 on: October 09, 2018, 09:33:07 pm »
So I have been looking into the rule sets of the mod and reading through whatever files where human readable, and I have come across a barrier so to speak, I have noticed that the items have a tag in the rule set called category, but looking through every file I could, I could not find any description of the properties of these categories, are they stored somewhere more secretive or are they hardcoded, because I could not find them anywhere

Not sure what you mean, but the item categories are listed in itemCategories_XCOMFILES.rul. They don'tr have any special properties, but startingConditions_XCOMFILES.rul use them to check which items can be taken on a mission with limited equipment.

Solaris, I wanted to mention that with your last update 0.9.5, the changelog was not updated with the one you posted in this forum (according to the changelog, the most recent version os 0.9.4).

Indeed, I completely forgot... Thanks you, fixed!

First when you capture your first cyberweb scientist will get access to promo 3 or will at least get a portal? Any good tips as well to help would be nice too.

No, Cyberweb in fact does not give you promo 3. It is sort of parallel.
Discovering a portal requires getting the right research from a Cyberweb scientist, so you may have to interrogate a few of them.

Secondly the UI for the mission is weirdly green is that a bug?

No, it's a feature.

I've already destroyed the Red Dawn HQ and I researched the memory card but no report and I entered the sewers with normal armour and the green UI was there too.

It's only because of sewers lighting and ambience, does not necessarily mean any special conditions.

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: October 10, 2018, 08:58:18 pm »

No, Cyberweb in fact does not give you promo 3. It is sort of parallel.
Ok then What else can I do to get promo 3? I've eliminated a cult I believe if reasearching the Red Dawn Memory card does it

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: October 10, 2018, 11:07:18 pm »
Ok then What else can I do to get promo 3? I've eliminated a cult I believe if reasearching the Red Dawn Memory card does it
Press "q" in Geoscape to open the tech tree viewer. There's a switch in options to enable-disable spoilers, but I think default allows spoilers.

If I remember correctly, Promotion 3 requires: Promotion 2, finding a way to terminate any cult (memory card counts) and any of: Alien Origins, Deep One Communities, Into the Dark or Cyberweb Portal System.

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: October 11, 2018, 12:26:39 am »
Press "q" in Geoscape to open the tech tree viewer. There's a switch in options to enable-disable spoilers, but I think default allows spoilers.

If I remember correctly, Promotion 3 requires: Promotion 2, finding a way to terminate any cult (memory card counts) and any of: Alien Origins, Deep One Communities, Into the Dark or Cyberweb Portal System.
I know about the tech tree viewer but how do I find Alien origins, Deep one communities, Into the Dark and the Cyberweb portal System?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: October 11, 2018, 04:31:32 am »
The tech tree viewer system has a search feature. Press Q to open the search bar. Almost everything is searchable, there are a few quirks related to manufacturing an item that then needs research.

Not sure of the top of my head about the rest but deep one communities is had from a live deep one(requires alien containment).

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: October 11, 2018, 02:17:04 pm »
The tech tree viewer system has a search feature. Press Q to open the search bar. Almost everything is searchable, there are a few quirks related to manufacturing an item that then needs research.

Not sure of the top of my head about the rest but deep one communities is had from a live deep one(requires alien containment).
Correct. Alien origins is unlocked by a live alien (also requires containment), but may be randomly given by other prisoners. I recall getting it from hybrids, but now it's only MiB scientist. Into the dark is unlocked by studying odd objects randomly appearing in cave missions (20% or 25% chance, I think). Portal system requires capturing a portal. So, Deep Ones are the most likely to give it early.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.6: Tales of The Abyss
« Reply #2124 on: October 11, 2018, 10:40:08 pm »
Version 0.9.6 has been released.
- Updated to OXCE 5.1.
- Rolled AI types into one, thus allowing training from the start.
- New weapon: Stoner LMG.
- New armors: Power Armor, Aqua-Plastic Suit, Coelacanth.
- New missions: Lo Wo's Refuge (by Finnik), Black Lotus Shrine, Marine Base Defense, T'Leth Messengers, T'Leth Recon, T'Leth Survey, T'Leth Embassy.
- New units: Master Lo Wo (by Finnik), Calcinite, Hallucinoid, Marine Officer.
- New Cult Safehouse (by Finnik).
- New Obliterator sprite.
- New briefing music for Cyberweb missions.
- New Jungle landing block.
- Improved maps: Shogg Village, Reptoid Settlement, M.A.G.M.A. Reactor.
- Overhauled smoke resistances to a more punishing model - typical human resistance: 400%, aliens are typically at 100% (special thanks to Otto Hartenstein).
- Increased laser weapons accuracy across the board.
- More things to share with M.A.G.M.A. (and be punished for it).
- Shallow underwater missions are brighter.
- Cave missions are brighter too.
- New AI names.
- Smart Shotgun is now smaller and concealable (by Starving Poet).
- Grenade launchers are more accurate in aimed mode.
- Plasma Caster is now easier to handle.
- Blaster Multi-Launcher and Blaster Multi-Bombs are now manufacturable.
- Gunship now requires Advanced Lab.
- Bio-Exo Suit is faster to make.
- More Cyberweb Batteries to loot from Cyberweb locations.
- Terramite and Aqua Plastics are now recovered at proper amounts.
- New explosion animation for the Boomeroid.
- Added proper pictures to the Megascorpion Autopsy and Giant Rat Autopsy articles (by Arvidus).
- Private Transport is faster.
- Boosted Gauss Defences.
- Streamlined the dependencies for Improved and Advanced Labs.
- Fixed the AI on certain units which were too passive.
- Black Lotus Footman has better camo and is a spotter.
- Aquatoids have proper shields now (though weak).
- Cyberdisc Dissassembly now grants 4 Grav Modules, but building X-Com Cyberdiscs requires additional 2 Grav Modules.
- Diving Suit is a bit sturdier.
- Improved Laboratory and Advanced Laboratory now require special materials for construction.
- Unified fuel explosions between different tilesets.
- Fixed shield on Hybrids wearing Work Suits.
- Fixed dog barking on the Tritanium Gear.
- Fixed streetlights in Dawn City.
- Dimension X base no longer gives Alien Surgery.
- Fixed issues with the Ironfist map and some Undersea City buildings.
- Fixed the Civilian Worker sprite.
- Fixed Cybermite explosion.
- Minor fixes.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 11:57:47 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: October 12, 2018, 02:49:41 pm »
Thanks!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: October 12, 2018, 06:19:04 pm »
Uploading a fixed version of 0.9.6:
- Tritanium Cannon is now buyable, like other craft weapons.
- Removed the option to produce Tactical Neural Implants, as they serve no specific purpose yet.
- Fixed some inconsistencies with Choke resistances.
- Fixed Blaster Multi-Launcher costs.
- Fixed a crash on the Cyberweb Robosphere.

Please download 0.9.6b.

Offline Thunderwing280

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: October 13, 2018, 12:23:02 pm »
Just wanna know if this is intentional but did you use the hallucinoid autopsy pic for the tentaculat autopsy on purpose?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: October 13, 2018, 11:06:54 pm »
Just wanna know if this is intentional but did you use the hallucinoid autopsy pic for the tentaculat autopsy on purpose?

Thanks, I can't really discern between these two organisms when they're cut up like that. :)

Warning: Version 0.9.6c has been released.
- Added a Ufopaedia article on pilots (text by BT Axis).
- Fixed a crash on the Embassy of T'Leth mission.
- Fixed some Forest Mountain AI routes.
- Fixed one Ufopaedia article picture (Tentaculat autopsy).

Or you can just replace the attached file, if you don't want to update the whole thing; it will fix the crash, and the other changes are rather inconsequential.

Offline Barth Gimble

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: October 22, 2018, 10:48:53 am »
I didn't get much time to play this weekend, but at least I made the upgrade to the latest version. A few general thoughts:

a) I'd like to revise a statement I made in a different discussion on the subject of money. I'm at March, 2000 in my game. For most of the game years that have passed, I was struggling with money. But in the last few months of game time, just out of nowhere I'm now swimming in cash-- my account balance is suddenly $190 million dollars. I don't manufacture things for profit-- my engineers either manufacture things I need to actually use, or sit idle (I've actually dismantled some workshops and let some engineers go lately because of excess capacity). Also, I don't really seem to make much from selling plunder, because I hold on to a lot of it (not knowing the game well, I don't want to get rid of things that may be needed for future manufacturing projects). So basically, all this money is coming just from regular Council funding. The only thing I'm doing differently is that I've got all my bases built now, and have stopped spending big $$ on construction. I don't really have a useful suggestion on balancing this, but it seems like I'm really going to have much more than I need in the bank from now on.

b) I just noticed the Scorpoid race uses prison cells rather than alien containment or animal pens. That seems unusual.

c) I'm all for choice and consequences, but prefer to make informed decisions. What are the consequences of

Spoiler:
sharing Elerium battery tech with Magma?

Because my advisor kind of scolded me afterward, like I really made a major foul-up on this issue.

d) It was so long ago since I played regular XCOM, I see now I may be getting into trouble with having enough Elerium supplies to keep all my aircraft going. I should be doing a lot more capturing of landed UFOs, but the trouble is my fighter planes keep destroying most of the enemy craft rather than causing them to crash land. And if I let the UFOs just fly around without intercepting them, many of them just disappear rather than land (I do have outstanding global radar coverage, with 8 bases, so I'm not losing tracking of them). Any advice on this issue?